✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

I really do enjoy MX and I enjoy listening to GS too. In fact, Coldplay had never let me down. I do love all their albums and as a result, I'm still a solid fan until now. I'm not worried for LP7. I'm much worried about loosing my patience for waiting :P

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whatever A Head Full Of Dreams turns out to be, the only thing I'm sure of is that they will not fail to surprise. That's the best part.

For example, listening to Midnight the first time was AWESOME. Can't wait for another one of those moments. :)

[smoke is rising from the houses]

^ I tend to agree. It's gotten to the point where i'll at least listen to whatever they put out and most likely enjoy it. I've definitely got that Coldplay-bias in my head.

Although there are certainly things about Coldplay I do not like, or wish they've done differently.

^ I tend to agree. It's gotten to the point where i'll at least listen to whatever they put out and most likely enjoy it. I've definitely got that Coldplay-bias in my head.

Although there are certainly things about Coldplay I do not like, or wish they've done differently.

Same! When Magic first came out, I didn't like it (still don't really like it, to be honest) but I bought it anyway because it was Coldplay :lol:

The same thing kind of happened when GS dropped; I listened to it on repeat for the first couple of weeks and thought it was the greatest thing ever (although that might have partially been because I'd broken up with my boyfriend and a breakup album was just what I needed). A year later, there's a couple of songs I like and that I listen to semi-regularly, but the album as a whole has lost some of its appeal.

^Coldplay bias runs rampant in these parts! :) After the first month with GS, I truly only thought Magic, AIMH, and Midnight were solid tracks and everything else was subpar. But yeah, after listening to the album over and over I became obsessed with Ink and Another's Arms, and then Oceans shortly after. I think I first gave the album a 6-7/10 and now I would give it a 7-8/10, putting it on the same level with MX in my books.

Atleast we have that "bias" cushion if AHFOD is a huge disappointment for everyone else haha Or better, maybe the album will be album of the year in everyone's books and our bias will elevate it to the best album of all time :D

In fact, that is a serious question I have for everyone: Do you see Coldplay having another album of the year (or at least another top 10) when it comes to major awards? I am talking NME, Rolling Stone, Pitchfork lists, Grammy best album category, Brit Awards, etc. Viva La Vida and AROBTTH got elevated to a lot of these lists.

In fact, that is a serious question I have for everyone: Do you see Coldplay having another album of the year (or at least another top 10) when it comes to major awards? I am talking NME, Rolling Stone, Pitchfork lists, Grammy best album category, Brit Awards, etc. Viva La Vida and AROBTTH got elevated to a lot of these lists.

honestly? i have my doubts for lp7. they need to be unsettled from this sort of a lull of the writing/recording process that they seem to have been in for awhile. just a feeling that i have. like when eno and dravs came into the mix. but i'd be happy to be proven wrong!

^Both great points. I think most of us on here agree that regardless of the critical/award consensus, we will have our own personal experiences that dictate our enjoyment of the album. That said, I think positive critical reception can do a lot to enhance an albums overall feel. For example, Viva and AROBTTH tend to be the best received critically and with awards, and they happen to be my favourite two albums. Coincidence? Maybe, but there is subjective consensus in this world.

And I hope that it is an album that blows even the critics away. We are always really warm to what they release but it would be nice to have a vast majority of professional music listeners appreciate something they release on the scale of other bands that are "legendary": Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, U2, Radiohead.

Ironically, that was for the song Atlas was so sure was Miracles in some Christmas ad in the UK. They prepared a reaction video and everything -- only for it to be some unknown artist. Fucking hilarious.

Yes lol I remember that!

The song was Heartstrings by Daniel Hepinstall by the way [emoji3]

Guest howyousawtheworld

Just found out the new album is going to be produced by Stargate. Took a look at their production credit lists and literally the most bearable thing they've ever done production wise was S Club 7s 'S Club Party'.

Not going to lie....I've shit the bed.

Just found out the new album is going to be produced by Stargate. Took a look at their production credit lists and literally the most bearable thing they've ever done production wise was S Club 7s 'S Club Party'.

Ahhhhhf**** you made me laugh....Ye of little faith....I have a feeling they all know what they are doing. Perhaps Stargate can cater to more than one genre? ....and by the way S Club 7s 'S Club Party ....the extra long name says it all....understated brilliance lol..[emoji8][emoji119]

Guest howyousawtheworld
My opinion:

Miracles is awful.

I don't just want rock Coldplay back, I want good Coldplay back. Y'know - the ones who put Clocks, The Scientist and Politik on one album, rather than having songs like O and Midnight be highlights. They were better at pop-rock than they are at rock-pop and it's hard to take them seriously as a great band when they're releasing songs like True Love, A Sky Full of Stars and Miracles as singles. I'm all for forward thinking and growth, but that doesn't just mean changing styles - it means adding depth, meaning and variety to your work. Just because it sounds different doesn't mean it's a step forward, just because it's similar to what you've done before doesn't make it a step backwards. I don't want AROBTTH, but I want the Coldplay who made it. I guess I just don't want them to actually become all the things they've wrongly been considered in the past - MOR, boring, bland, light-weight soft rockers trying too hard to be something they're not.

If stargate are the producers (still a sizeable if at this point) then that's disappointing but hopefully it's just for a song or two and they don't come up with anything like their previous work. At the end of the day Coldplay are still writing the songs, so a classic album is always a possibility.

I remain falteringly unconfident.

Totally agree. Went back to listen to Miracles on youtube (I couldn't even bring myself to waste 99p on an itunes download). Instantly forgettable. Unforgivably polished to the point where it sounds uber fake. The sound of a band that has become obsessed by the homogenised spiritless production. Awful. Sounds like it was all created on a cheap computer production programme. A desecration of the beautiful, airy, atmospheric and very REAL and live soundscapes that ran throughout their first four albums (and some of MX).

going through stargate's credits, there is not one artist that i would consider in the same vein as coldplay. it's sugary pop alright. i think fans are right to be worried. at least the production team selection shows the kind of target audience the band has in mind this time around. this is alarming. optimists out there, i envy you :)

Miracles is a nice track with some fine production. I really like how the bass sounds, specially when it comes in on the begining and the "heyy floating up..." part.

For me its better than most of GS (except Midnight really) and feels like a band track while GS doesn't have that band feel on most of it.

It's ridiculous when you think about it. The guys who produced What does the fox say? producing a Coldplay album!? It's bizarre.

I dont care about the genre... I just want to hear Will drums, Jonny guitar and Guy bass!!! That's all I want. I dont care if it is pop or rock. I'd rather have rock, but i just want that the whole band participates in the new "Coldplay" (aka Chris Martin's band) album...

^Both great points. I think most of us on here agree that regardless of the critical/award consensus, we will have our own personal experiences that dictate our enjoyment of the album. That said, I think positive critical reception can do a lot to enhance an albums overall feel. For example, Viva and AROBTTH tend to be the best received critically and with awards, and they happen to be my favourite two albums. Coincidence? Maybe, but there is subjective consensus in this world.

And I hope that it is an album that blows even the critics away. We are always really warm to what they release but it would be nice to have a vast majority of professional music listeners appreciate something they release on the scale of other bands that are "legendary": Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, U2, Radiohead.

I agree! Unfortunately, unlike the bands you mentioned (except perhaps U2, they seem to draw a lot of fire as well), there seems to be a lot of people who have already made up their minds that anything Coldplay does is going to suck. Now, people are entitled to their opinions, but just from what I've seen it seems that the reasons people list for disliking Coldplay are somewhat contradictory.

For instance, most of the criticisms seem to stem from the notion that Coldplay is "boring" or simply catering to the masses with a very formulaic and inoffensive sound. Yet other people are complaining that they've experimented "too much" and have ventured too far from their roots as to become a "boring" sugary pop band.

Which is it? Has Coldplay just switched from one type of boring to another? :lol:

I'm kind of rambling here (there's bacon cooking about five feet from me and it's very distracting) but it seems to me that it will be almost impossible for Coldplay to release an album as well-loved as some of the above rockers, simply because of the aforementioned dichotomy.

Totally agree. Went back to listen to Miracles on youtube (I couldn't even bring myself to waste 99p on an itunes download). Instantly forgettable. Unforgivably polished to the point where it sounds uber fake. The sound of a band that has become obsessed by the homogenised spiritless production. Awful. Sounds like it was all created on a cheap computer production programme. A desecration of the beautiful, airy, atmospheric and very REAL and live soundscapes that ran throughout their first four albums (and some of MX).

going through stargate's credits, there is not one artist that i would consider in the same vein as coldplay. it's sugary pop alright. i think fans are right to be worried. at least the production team selection shows the kind of target audience the band has in mind this time around. this is alarming. optimists out there, i envy you :)

Well said !

I'm certain this album will be louder and rockier than gs so that's a good thing. I just want the band to rock out again with drums, guitar and bass and piano. [emoji443][emoji445][emoji441][emoji446][emoji447][emoji450][emoji448]

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

I'll put my hand up to be that eternal optimist who prophesies that this album is going to ROCK!!!! ....mmmmm.....even go out on a limb and say BEST EVER...yup...optimist! [emoji4][emoji119][emoji304][emoji173]️[emoji320][emoji120][emoji319][emoji169][emoji172][emoji323][emoji295]️[emoji123]

lol....happiness....feels good...inhale....

Its a waiting game for now. Naturally we want the band to blow us away and amaze us, but that hasn't happened since 2008. People are justified to worry if the likes of Stargate and Avicii are involved. Before PoC was released I was adamant its not gonna turn out well. But people kept saying "noooooo don't be such a pessimist. They'll venture into pop and its gonna be the greatest fucking thing since Gagarin went into outer space"! And it wasn't. It was shit. The song is shit. The video is shit. The whole fucking album is shit.

But I'm sure Coldplay will prove us all they're still a relevant great rock band who feel they still have a lot to prove :rolleyes: