✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

If you listen to Parachutes, they are still the SAME COLDPLAY that they were back then! I love it!!!

hahaha-no.gif

Seriously, you're being too nice. The day I started listening to things that were non-Coldplay was the day I realized that their new stuff is unacceptably bad. I mean, seriously, go take a listen to Dark Side of the Moon and OK Computer and you'll see what I'm talking about.

We would be open minded if it were 30, 20 heck even 10 years ago but mainstream pop music has become an endless homogenised stream of same sounding shit of which the likes of that robot Rihanna and her management executives have been the bringers of. That Chris Martin licks his lips at these people is beyond worrying and confirms his demise as a serious songwriter. Then again it's not as if he's been hinting at it throughout the last two albums with some average melodies and some truly excruciating lyrics.

This post x10000.

Seriously, this is true. Mainstream pop is shiiiit now. Look at this year. The number of atrocities we've had. Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Nicki Minaj, Jason Derulo, I can go on and on, but I won't because there is no end.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, no need to be mean! "You" was an obvious typo! And by taste of music, what do you mean? You don't like DarkSide? Or you don't like Coldplay? What's up? And yes, before you born would be more than accurate if you were born in 1996❤️

hahaha-no.gif

Seriously, you're being too nice. The day I started listening to things that were non-Coldplay was the day I realized that their new stuff is unacceptably bad. I mean, seriously, go take a listen to Dark Side of the Moon and OK Computer and you'll see what I'm talking about.

This post x10000.

Seriously, this is true. Mainstream pop is shiiiit now. Look at this year. The number of atrocities we've had. Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Nicki Minaj, Jason Derulo, I can go on and on, but I won't because there is no end.

I have a pretty diverse and alternative taste in music but I think MX and GS are certainly more than acceptable. There is always room for Coldplay's sound in one's taste that becomes more accustomed to more abnormal sounds, melodies, structures etc etc. I think GS had some shallowish songs, but I still think every single one is absolutely gorgeous and dreamy (even if simple.) Ok Computer and Dark Sides of the Moon are both masterpieces, but I don't go to those albums for the same reasons.

I once heard an opinion on pop music that I really agree with though that everyone should realize. There has always been "good" pop and "bad" pop. Of course it is all opinion, but ever since music has become a common art form, record sales and critical responses of the majority show that there have always been really silly, stupid songs that dominate the radio and ones that become legendary. I agree that pop music has become formulaic, but we can't call all of it crap. I really enjoyed Nicki Minaj's and Taylor Swifts new albums, despite the really stupid singles on each. Hozier and Lorde are two other artists both quality and huge. Yes, we had hit songs that repeated "ass ass ass ass" over and over, but also innovative and wonderful tracks like "Latch" which blew up in 2014. The former won't stick around long while the latter may be classic for years to come. There will always be a mix of classic/quality and shallow/trend following pop music, which is a genre to some extent that will always be formulaic in its ability to be catchy and euphoric.

I agree though to a large degree. We do have the right to worry about Coldplay falling into the easy, clean, shallow pop trends that are temporarily successful and not necessarily "artful." I personally believe this has happened with major parts of songs like ASFOS, PoC, True Love, Up In Flames, and most recently, Miracles, and I think that stance is pretty easily defendable from my standpoint, though I really am glad so many people love these songs. That is what makes music and art so great.

Wow, no need to be mean! "You" was an obvious typo! And by taste of music, what do you mean? You don't like DarkSide? Or you don't like Coldplay? What's up? And yes, before you born would be more than accurate if you were born in 1996❤️

"No need to be mean"

Let's start with you. No sarcasm or anything there, but seriously. Your reply was obnoxious as hell. Who on earth says "I was (insert action here) before you were born."? Seriously.

"You don't like DarkSide? Or you don't like Coldplay?"

I like both. But to be more specific, I like pre-X&Y era Coldplay. So Parachutes and AROBTTH.

"And yes, before you born would be more than accurate if you were born in 1996❤️"

Fun fact: you need to work on your grammar. There should be a "were" in between "you" and "born".

And don't get me started on how annoying I find emoticons used as sarcasm.

I just joined this site. Is this a Coldplay discussion forum? For Coldplay fans?

Yes.

I have a pretty diverse and alternative taste in music but I think MX and GS are certainly more than acceptable.

What? Acceptable? No!

Fine, I'll admit that some of the individual songs are acceptable. (Read: Charlie Brown, AIMH.) But to the most part, stuff like most of Mylo Xyloto, ASFOS, Another's Arms, that stuff is unacceptable.

There is always room for Coldplay's sound in one's taste that becomes more accustomed to more abnormal sounds, melodies, structures etc etc. I think GS had some shallowish songs, but I still think every single one is absolutely gorgeous and dreamy (even if simple.) Ok Computer and Dark Sides of the Moon are both masterpieces, but I don't go to those albums for the same reasons.

You think COLDPLAY has abnormal sounds, melodies and song structures? Seriously, let's take Dark Side for an example.

The entire album has sound effects (quotes, helicopter blades, running), song 6 (Money) is written in 7/8 time, and song 5 (The Great Gig in the Sky) had ALL of its vocals improvised. If that's not abnormal then I don't know what is.

I once heard an opinion on pop music that I really agree with though that everyone should realize. There has always been "good" pop and "bad" pop.

Here's the problem. We're not getting any more good pop. It's stopped since, what, 2011?

Of course it is all opinion, but ever since music has become a common art form, record sales and critical responses of the majority show that there have always been really silly, stupid songs that dominate the radio and ones that become legendary. I agree that pop music has become formulaic, but we can't call all of it crap. I really enjoyed Nicki Minaj's and Taylor Swifts new albums, despite the really stupid singles on each.

Find me ONE song on mainstream radio that was written in 2014 that doesn't include cheap electronics, romance related lyrics, or horrible vocals.

I wish you luck.

Hozier and Lorde are two other artists both quality and huge.

5166465451_ded900eaf8_z.jpg

I for one, absolute HATE Lorde. You call THAT singing? Seriously? That's just slurring into a microphone.

Yes, we had hit songs that repeated "ass ass ass ass" over and over, but also innovative and wonderful tracks like "Latch" which blew up in 2014.

"We had hit songs that repeated 'ass ass ass ass' over and over" was an understatement. I mean seriously, we have any artist that sings about NOTHING but sexual acts. And the actual music he makes is beyond shit.

Never heard of "Latch". Was too busy trying to find something good about Ghost Stories that wasn't AIMH.

The former won't stick around long

We said the same thing about Justin Bieber too. And we were wrooooong.

while the latter may be classic for years to come.

I've said that about too many songs in my time. And I've been so wrong.

There will always be a mix of classic/quality and shallow/trend following pop music, which is a genre to some extent that will always be formulaic in its ability to be catchy and euphoric.

But the problem is that now we're getting NOTHING but shallow/trend following crap! Like I said, find me ONE song on mainstream radio that was written in 2014 that doesn't include cheap electronics, romance related lyrics, or horrible vocals.

I agree though to a large degree. We do have the right to worry about Coldplay falling into the easy, clean, shallow pop trends that are temporarily successful and not necessarily "artful." I personally believe this has happened with major parts of songs like ASFOS, PoC, True Love, Up In Flames, and most recently, Miracles,

Yeah, look at Clocks, Trouble, GPASUYF, and Don't Panic. Were they mainstream or anything like that? No! Were they love songs? No! THAT is exactly what Coldplay needs to be doing! You see, the reason why stuff like Dark Side and OK Computer are so good is because neither of them are just an album full of love songs (Read: Ghost Stories). Exit Music (For a Film) and Lucky from OK Computer are the only two songs I can think of that are love songs. And even then they aren't cliche and mainstream. Both songs do something unique that sets them apart. And I'm just sitting here trying to figure out the difference between Don't Let it Break Your Heart and Every Teardrop is a Waterfall.

and I think that stance is pretty easily defendable from my standpoint, though I really am glad so many people love these songs. That is what makes music and art so great.

See, THAT is the problem. People are liking this crap. The day people start complaining and Coldplay stops making money from these songs is the day that they will get their shit together and start making good stuff again.

"No need to be mean"

Let's start with you. No sarcasm or anything there, but seriously. Your reply was obnoxious as hell. Who on earth says "I was (insert action here) before you were born."? Seriously.

"You don't like DarkSide? Or you don't like Coldplay?"

I like both. But to be more specific, I like pre-X&Y era Coldplay. So Parachutes and AROBTTH.

"And yes, before you born would be more than accurate if you were born in 1996[emoji173]️"

Fun fact: you need to work on your grammar. There should be a "were" in between "you" and "born".

And don't get me started on how annoying I find emoticons used as sarcasm.

Yes.

What? Acceptable? No!

Fine, I'll admit that some of the individual songs are acceptable. (Read: Charlie Brown, AIMH.) But to the most part, stuff like most of Mylo Xyloto, ASFOS, Another's Arms, that stuff is unacceptable.

You think COLDPLAY has abnormal sounds, melodies and song structures? Seriously, let's take Dark Side for an example.

The entire album has sound effects (quotes, helicopter blades, running), song 6 (Money) is written in 7/8 time, and song 5 (The Great Gig in the Sky) had ALL of its vocals improvised. If that's not abnormal then I don't know what is.

Here's the problem. We're not getting any more good pop. It's stopped since, what, 2011?

Find me ONE song on mainstream radio that was written in 2014 that doesn't include cheap electronics, romance related lyrics, or horrible vocals.

I wish you luck.

5166465451_ded900eaf8_z.jpg

I for one, absolute HATE Lorde. You call THAT singing? Seriously? That's just slurring into a microphone.

"We had hit songs that repeated 'ass ass ass ass' over and over" was an understatement. I mean seriously, we have any artist that sings about NOTHING but sexual acts. And the actual music he makes is beyond shit.

Never heard of "Latch". Was too busy trying to find something good about Ghost Stories that wasn't AIMH.

We said the same thing about Justin Bieber too. And we were wrooooong.

I've said that about too many songs in my time. And I've been so wrong.

But the problem is that now we're getting NOTHING but shallow/trend following crap! Like I said, find me ONE song on mainstream radio that was written in 2014 that doesn't include cheap electronics, romance related lyrics, or horrible vocals.

Yeah, look at Clocks, Trouble, GPASUYF, and Don't Panic. Were they mainstream or anything like that? No! Were they love songs? No! THAT is exactly what Coldplay needs to be doing! You see, the reason why stuff like Dark Side and OK Computer are so good is because neither of them are just an album full of love songs (Read: Ghost Stories). Exit Music (For a Film) and Lucky from OK Computer are the only two songs I can think of that are love songs. And even then they aren't cliche and mainstream. Both songs do something unique that sets them apart. And I'm just sitting here trying to figure out the difference between Don't Let it Break Your Heart and Every Teardrop is a Waterfall.

See, THAT is the problem. People are liking this crap. The day people start complaining and Coldplay stops making money from these songs is the day that they will get their shit together and start making good stuff again.

Wow. You must be out of breath! [emoji100]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@dalekslayer-- :) I am impressed too hahaha and I appreciate the responses! Well firstly I will list some tracks in the top 40 this year that I thought were pretty good, though I doubt I can change your opinion. These are only tastes after all, and please don't get me wrong, cheap electronics and crappy themes have been a big problem for me too with lots of music, but so was post grunge in the early 2000's (nickelback or

seether anyone?) anyways, a few examples-- Take Me To Church- hozier

Turn Down For What-Dj snake. Riptide-Vance joy. Stay with me- sam smith. don't-ed Sheeran. Blank space- Taylor swift, uptown funk, 0-100-drake, beyonces self titled record, stolen dance-Milkey chance, two weeks-fka twigs.

And no, I don't think that Coldplay makes abnormal music. In the grand scheme of things they are very safe. However, they do experiment just enough to fit outside the pure pop spectrum. Look at much of the atmospheres they put out the Viva era or weird, non poppy sounds loosely scattered throughout MX. Even GS has some distinct sounds despite its clean production and heavy pop song structures. What I really mean though is that ultimately I come to Coldplay for the simplicity and easy, beautiful sounds that have just enough artfulness to not sound cheap. I love darkside too, just for less common moods and settings.

But yeah dude, it is just my opinion haha f it lets go bowling.

@dalekslayer-- :) I am impressed too hahaha and I appreciate the responses! Well firstly I will list some tracks in the top 40 this year that I thought were pretty good, though I doubt I can change your opinion. These are only tastes after all, and please don't get me wrong, cheap electronics and crappy themes have been a big problem for me too with lots of music, but so was post grunge in the early 2000's (nickelback or seether anyone?) anyways, a few examples-- Take Me To Church- hozier Turn Down For What-Dj snake. Riptide-Vance joy. Stay with me- sam smith. don't-ed Sheeran. Blank space- Taylor swift, uptown funk, 0-100-drake, beyonces self titled record, stolen dance-Milkey chance, two weeks-fka twigs.

You build the walls, I'll tear 'em down. Let's start.

Take Me to Church: Never heard of it. Can't judge.

Turn Down for What: Cheap electronics, complete lack of any coherent sense or lyrics, and all the vocals are is a guy shouting into a mic.

Riptide: Nevah heard of it.

Stay With Me: Cheesy lyrics, annoying vocals, and oh yeah, romance related.

Don't: It's Ed Sheeran. That's a bad enough thing. 'Nuff said.

Black Space: It's Taylor Swift. That's a bad enough thing. 'Nuff said.

Uptown Funk: Never heard of it.

0-100: It's Drake. That's a bad enough thing. 'Nuff said.

Beyonce's self titled record doesn't count, because A: That's an album, not a song. B: It's Beyonce.

Stolen Dance: Who? What?

Two Weeks: Huh? Say what?

And no, I don't think that Coldplay makes abnormal music. In the grand scheme of things they are very safe. However, they do experiment just enough to fit outside the pure pop spectrum.

But that's the problem. If you don't dare to do things, you'll never be outstanding.

Look at much of the atmospheres they put out the Viva era or weird, non poppy sounds loosely scattered throughout MX.

Funfact: I think VLVODAAHF is waaaaay overrated.

And really, it's the non-poppy stuff in MX that's good. Charlie Brown, UATW, and Major Minus are where the album really stands out. But there's too much stuff clogging the good songs up.

Even GS has some distinct sounds despite its clean production and heavy pop song structures.

GS's most distinct sound is Midnight. And that's really it.

What I really mean though is that ultimately I come to Coldplay for the simplicity and easy, beautiful sounds that have just enough artfulness to not sound cheap. I love darkside too, just for less common moods and settings.

But the problem is, the last FOUR albums (remember, I hate everything post-AROBTTH) have had just too many cheap songs. I don't even want to try to list them all. Whatever happened to good songs like Yellow or Politik?

You would like two weeks by FKA twigs so you should check it out! Can't help you on the others though haha just a matter of taste. Yeah Coldplay does need to really mix something up to be truly classic and amazing with LP7, I am with you.

I think they have done great stuff on every album, and I am sorry you haven't liked post AROBTTH, that is a bummer. But I sure would like another song like Politik. My favorite song by them. Just don't see it happening, but we could be surprised by something else.

Hey everyone, new member here! I was just reading the thread and catching up on everyone's reaction to LP7. I think Chris has made it known in many interviews that he loves all kinds of music, including pop (katy perry, One Direction) and EDM, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the new album go in that direction. The bottom line, though, is that no matter what they release, we're all going to want to head to the concerts. They get better every year, despite the current album. In my opinion, the MX tour was their best tour to date, because we heard new variations of the old combined with the new.

I don't think a band has ever been successful sticking to the same thing throughout their career (if you can think of one, let me know, and I mean a 10+ year career), so naturally they're going to change their sound and try new things. If I were them, I'd be changing my sound to keep the band stimulated, energized and motivated, so I can understand it. The majority of every generation has the music that they listened to and thinks that the current music sucks and has no "soul" or substance, but in retrospect, we usually look back at the songs with staying power in a positive light. To make a long story short, I think we should chill because whatever they come up with will be good, but it won't please everyone, because nothing ever will, and the band knows that. There's not an album of theirs I dislike, and I like them for all different reasons and moods. My hope is that they play some festivals so we can get a preview of their songs earlier rather than later!

Cheers.

You would like two weeks by FKA twigs so you should check it out!

Will be checking it out.

Can't help you on the others though haha just a matter of taste.

A lot of them are due to overation. But yeah, taste.

Yeah Coldplay does need to really mix something up to be truly classic and amazing with LP7, I am with you.

I hope that they produce AROBTTH 2.0. Then they will have redeemed themselves in my eyes.

I think they have done great stuff on every album, and I am sorry you haven't liked post AROBTTH, that is a bummer. But I sure would like another song like Politik. My favorite song by them. Just don't see it happening, but we could be surprised by something else.

I'm not saying that EVERYTHING post-AROBTTH is bad. There's some good stuff here and there (Read: Ghost Story, DAAHF, Charlie Brown, Twisted Logic). But most of the stuff isn't to my taste.

Also, another Politik would be nice.

Hey everyone, new member here! I was just reading the thread and catching up on everyone's reaction to LP7. I think Chris has made it known in many interviews that he loves all kinds of music, including pop (katy perry, One Direction) and EDM, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the new album go in that direction.

What? Chris likes One Direction? Oh shit we are all screwed.

The bottom line, though, is that no matter what they release, we're all going to want to head to the concerts. They get better every year, despite the current album. In my opinion, the MX tour was their best tour to date, because we heard new variations of the old combined with the new.

Can't quite argue with that.

I don't think a band has ever been successful sticking to the same thing throughout their career (if you can think of one, let me know, and I mean a 10+ year career), so naturally they're going to change their sound and try new things. If I were them, I'd be changing my sound to keep the band stimulated, energized and motivated, so I can understand it.

But why can't they be like Radiohead and have the new things be good?

The majority of every generation has the music that they listened to and thinks that the current music sucks and has no "soul" or substance, but in retrospect, we usually look back at the songs with staying power in a positive light.

Ahem, a bit of a sweeping statement there.

To make a long story short, I think we should chill because whatever they come up with will be good, but it won't please everyone, because nothing ever will, and the band knows that. There's not an album of theirs I dislike, and I like them for all different reasons and moods. My hope is that they play some festivals so we can get a preview of their songs earlier rather than later!.

So you don't dislike X&Y? Or Ghost Stories? You are one strange person.

Let me tweak that a bit.

"THINGS! EXCITEMENT! REACTION .GIFS! ARGUING! LOTS AND LOTS OF GOOD AND BAD MUSIC! CHAOS!

So basically business as usual. "

Maybe if we all just admit that dalekslayer96, born 1996(!), is always right and his opinion couldn't possibly be wrong we can get some peace in here?

Yeah, right.

[smoke is rising from the houses]

Hey everyone, new member here! I was just reading the thread and catching up on everyone's reaction to LP7. I think Chris has made it known in many interviews that he loves all kinds of music, including pop (katy perry, One Direction) and EDM, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the new album go in that direction. The bottom line, though, is that no matter what they release, we're all going to want to head to the concerts. They get better every year, despite the current album. In my opinion, the MX tour was their best tour to date, because we heard new variations of the old combined with the new.

I don't think a band has ever been successful sticking to the same thing throughout their career (if you can think of one, let me know, and I mean a 10+ year career), so naturally they're going to change their sound and try new things. If I were them, I'd be changing my sound to keep the band stimulated, energized and motivated, so I can understand it. The majority of every generation has the music that they listened to and thinks that the current music sucks and has no "soul" or substance, but in retrospect, we usually look back at the songs with staying power in a positive light. To make a long story short, I think we should chill because whatever they come up with will be good, but it won't please everyone, because nothing ever will, and the band knows that. There's not an album of theirs I dislike, and I like them for all different reasons and moods. My hope is that they play some festivals so we can get a preview of their songs earlier rather than later!

Cheers.

Cheers man! Great input :D