✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

So from that leaked snippet I can safely say my expectations of this album have hit rock bottom.

“My heart goes boom boom boom” come on now...

I wish after 2009 Coldplay came to an end and the last 4 eras were under the name Los Unidades...

The A Rush Of Blood To The Head band are dead and buried.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

So from that leaked snippet I can safely say my expectations of this album have hit rock bottom.

I wish after 2009 Coldplay came to an end and the last 4 eras were under the name Los Unidades...

Same. The second part of the snippet felt like E-Lo part 2. Also the chorus reminded me of Imagine Dragons somehow, meh.

The I could be you, you could be me part sounds somewhat intriguing, even if it has very corny lyrics à la Life Is Beautiful.

• Like 1

They are dead but I'm kind of OK with that. I don't really want another AROBTTH, as much as I love it, and I do love it a lot. It's very much an album of its time, another one would feel regressive at this point. AROBTTH was a lengthy album as it was, it had a ton of b-sides, then X&Y took that sound and ran it into the ground. We don't need any more songs in that style.

Viva is a different story though. That album still sounds as fresh and vital today as it did 10 years ago. More to the point, they introduced a whole bunch of new, exciting elements to their sound. They could've done so much with it. Yet most of those new elements were simply abandoned when Mylo Xyloto came out. There was so much potential for future directions after Viva, and it still feels like they have some unfinished business on that front.

I highly doubt Everyday Life will pick up where Viva left off though.

• Like 4

AHFOD wasn't BAD bad but there's still a hell of a lot wrong with it. It's probably their worst album, maybe second worst on a really good day.

I guess it's just depressing to see a band with so much creative potential burn it all on something so flat and generic.

My opinion of it has definitely gone down over time. It was the first album I was even kind of a fan for :( and I thought it was pretty good back in 2015 when I didn't know that many of their older songs but after listening to the older albums a million times my opinion's definitely changed. Sometimes I even think it really is a bad album, but to be fair my music taste has changed in general since it came out since I used to be a lot more into pop back then.

• Like 3

Doesn't matter how you frame it, it's still a silly thing to say. If you can't hear bass and guitar on Adventure of a Lifetime, I think your speakers hold more blame than the arrangement.

If you are saying that AHFOD

is a guitar band album compared to AROBTTH (or even X&Y for that matter) you’re going to have a hard time selling that around here.

If you want to be semantic about it, then YES, there are guitars on the album. The point was they are buried on a lot of songs under production or electronic synth sounds and don’t appear at all on some.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone just caught the SNL performance of Everyday Life it sure sounded like an X&Y b-side. Looking forward to the album tbh.

I didn't get that many X&Y vibes from it to be honest, but it is my second favourite song off this record of the three we know so far !

I just miss the perfectionism that early Coldplay had. Can't help but feeling that ten, twelve years ago they wouldn't have put out a song with a not-so-perfect ending like that. The fact that the second verse is ridiculously short also makes it feel as if there is a little off with it. These are just little missteps that would not have made it on a record back then. Nowadays a lot of the songs seem less "perfectionized", unfortunately.

• Like 3

terrified we're gonna get another Coldplay album that I just don't vibe with.

That was my big fear before AHFOD and it ended up being justified, so I can totally understand what you're feeling.

Personally I think I'll like this album, though. Love Arabesque and Everyday Life is pretty decent too.

They are dead but I'm kind of OK with that. I don't really want another AROBTTH, as much as I love it, and I do love it a lot. It's very much an album of its time, another one would feel regressive at this point. AROBTTH was a lengthy album as it was, it had a ton of b-sides, then X&Y took that sound and ran it into the ground. We don't need any more songs in that style.

I have to politely disagree. I feel the songs on AROBTTH and X&Y and their B-sides are sonically different enough from one another not to be repetition. There is 1.000.000 more permutations of guitar/piano alt rock the guys could have gone for. Not saying every album should have been like that, but I could and would definitely listen to many more albums that would have taken the early Coldplay sound further.

I highly doubt Everyday Life will pick up where Viva left off though.

This post was made 1,5 weeks ago, but with what we know NOW I'd say yes, I'm pretty positive it picks up where Viva left off - just flavored with their (Chris's) new attitude to life and spirituality and their world music influences :)

• Like 2

Did you hear the preview of Guns just now ? It sounds VERY promising. I'm so, so hyped for this album right now. I feel this Album will be the masterpiece we've all been waiting for in the last 10 years. The turn Coldplay should have taken after Viva.

• Like 4