✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Definitely, I have a feeling this album will eclipse Viva.. and to say that about a Coldplay LP in 2019 is really saying something.

It is indeed something !

But tbh, I don't think I could personally rank it higher than Viva. I love the new material (minus Orphans), but I can't see being more attached to it than to Viva La Vida (the song), or Cemeteries of London, or Lovers in Japan, or Lost!...

Trying not to get too excited as we've only heard 20% of the LP (and as there are still some flaws of modern Coldplay/Chris writing and vocals here and there), but this is probably the best start to a new era for a long while.

Really hoping I can go back to this thread in 15 days to tell once and for all that Everyday Life is the best Coldplay work since Viva.

• Like 4

A bit worried now to be honest since I heard that according to Chris Orphans was supposed to be on LP9, the album that will probably get a big world tour.

This makes me fear for the quality of LP9. I worry it'll be like AHFOD all over again.

Did they ever confirm that LP9 is coming out next year? I can't keep up

An interview of today with Chris (unfortunately, I can't get the video to work from inside the EU. Not even a VPN helped !)

https://www.radio.com/music/alternative/chris-martin-of-coldplay-on-the-meaning-behind-orphans

If you still haven't found it, newscoldplay uploaded the interview on their tumblr account (link), and as far as my vpn worked and I saw, it last exactly 3:35 on the radio's website as well!

• Like 1

If you still haven't found it, newscoldplay uploaded the interview on their tumblr account (link), and as far as my vpn worked and I saw, it last exactly 3:35 on the radio's website as well!

Thanks. Maybe I'm using the wrong VPNs, but the video never shows up for me. The text does, but not the Video.

I can only use online VPNs, can't install anything cause this is not my computer.

• Sad 1

Here's a beautiful 10 year old live rendition of What If for you to enjoy (Feel free to post your Oldplay favorite videos, photos etc here as well !)

Wow...how good...another perl from X&Y. I remember when I was 13 or 14 years old, in 2005 and 2006, the radio stations very often played "Talk" and "Speed of Sound" and every time I felt interested, touched and I asked my dad to make it louder. Realy fallen in love and either don't know the title of the songs and even the band behind (there was no shazam and the internet very lame). But one day, purely accidental in 2007 I found "Talk" on Musicload and also the band behind, Coldplay. Furthermore the knowledge, "Clocks" is also from them. Finally I was able to answer the question "what is your favorite band?" I was so proud to name......"Coldplay". In 2007, I pleased my dad (maybe one day I'll fly next to him) to buy X&Y. Certainly there are better songs, but it was my very first album, so it owns a special place in my heart forever.

Still fascinated by the cool, athmospheric sound, distortet guitars, mixed with the warm and sometimes tearful voice by Chris, the questioning of journeys through space and time, orientation and so on....whatever, I am a little relieved, they use sytlistic arrangements from older times, like in ALIENS. But for sure, we got jewels from all LP's, EP's, B-Sides, also from the last releases.

best regards

• Like 5
  • Wow 2

Wow...how good...another perl from X&Y. I remember when I was 13 or 14 years old, in 2005 and 2006, the radio stations very often played "Talk" and "Speed of Sound" and every time I felt interested, touched and I asked my dad to make it louder. Realy fallen in love and either don't know the title of the songs and even the band behind (there was no shazam and the internet very lame). But one day, purely accidental in 2007 I found "Talk" on Musicload and also the band behind, Coldplay. Furthermore the knowledge, "Clocks" is also from them. Finally I was able to answer the question "what is your favorite band?" I was so proud to name......"Coldplay". In 2007, I pleased my dad (maybe one day I'll fly next to him) to buy X&Y. Certainly there are better songs, but it was my very first album, so it owns a special place in my heart forever.

Still fascinated by the cool, athmospheric sound, distortet guitars, mixed with the warm and sometimes tearful voice by Chris, the questioning of journeys through space and time, orientation and so on....whatever, I am a little relieved, they use sytlistic arrangements from older times, like in ALIENS. But for sure, we got jewels from all LP's, EP's, B-Sides, also from the last releases.

best regards

Wonderful post, and what you say about X&Y is so true. It is my favourite album. Sorry to hear about your dad :heart:

Whenever I hear the "De Musica Ligera" cover from Live in Buenos Aires, I can't help but think how awesome they'd sound live if they'd revisit a true rock sound !

:heart_eyes:

I want to hear a collaboration with Juanes. It seems like he's a fan; he likes all of Coldplay's Instagram posts. I wouldn't at all be surprised if that'd result in a true rock sound, given Juanes' track record :)

• Haha 1

I want to hear a collaboration with Juanes. It seems like he's a fan; he likes all of Coldplay's Instagram posts. I wouldn't at all be surprised if that'd result in a true rock sound, given Juanes' track record :)

I'm afraid I only know La Camisa Negra :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The type of collab I’m completely ok with. Back when Coldplay were a real band with real influences, not the “happy pop” group.

I’m having one of those Oldplay binges on YouTube today. I haven’t watched videos of Oldplay in a while and it’s really reminded me of just how much this group has strayed from their roots. It’s bittersweet watching videos like this as you see how this amazing band turned into a pop group that released an album like AHFOD.

• Like 3

The type of collab I’m completely ok with. Back when Coldplay were a real band with real influences, not the “happy pop” group.

I’m having one of those Oldplay binges on YouTube today. I haven’t watched videos of Oldplay in a while and it’s really reminded me of just how much this group has strayed from their roots. It’s bittersweet watching videos like this as you see how this amazing band turned into a pop group that released an album like AHFOD.

I feel you. When I watch their early appearances it is just no comparison to today. A different world altogether.

• Like 1

This is just brilliant. I’d forgotten just how good this band was back then. I don’t care what anyone says but Coldplay in the arobtth era were right up there with the likes of Oasis, Blur, Radiohead any of their contemporaries you care to name.

Even the way they carry themselves is so out of sync with the modern band. They’re wearing their own clothes, no stupid outfits, Chris isn’t jumping around like a jack Russell on speed, the focus is not on the laser show or artwork on the instruments etc. It’s all about the music.

I don’t know if fame changes you maybe, because back then they were just normal lads only on the cusp of stardom or maybe it’s just because they were young and in their prime..It’s just one of those things I’ll never understand.

• Like 5

This is just brilliant. I’d forgotten just how good this band was back then. I don’t care what anyone says but Coldplay in the arobtth era were right up there with the likes of Oasis, Blur, Radiohead any of their contemporaries you care to name.

Even the way they carry themselves is so out of sync with the modern band. They’re wearing their own clothes, no stupid outfits, Chris isn’t jumping around like a jack Russell on speed, the focus is not on the laser show or artwork on the instruments etc. It’s all about the music.

I don’t know if fame changes you maybe, because back then they were just normal lads only on the cusp of stardom or maybe it’s just because they were young and in their prime..It’s just one of those things I’ll never understand.

Have you been a fan since Parachutes?

You want to know something I wish Chris would do again? Dust off an electric guitar for more than just GPASUYF. Like, listen to those classic live versions of Warning Sign as well as the studio version.

Never mind the fact that Chris absolutely kills it in songs like One I Love, Crests of Waves, A Whisper, and Moses that feature him prominently on rhythm guitar.

Or at least insist that they turn up his acoustic guitar in the mix. It's there in a lot of the songs from the last 3 albums but apart from obvious outliers like UATW and Oceans, you can barely hear it.

It’s kind of ironic when you compare that performance with this one:

I don't know, One Love Manchester was meaningful, and I love both Noel and Liam, but there's still a kind of magic to that 2002 performance which was lacking in 2017.

• Like 3

No I was still very young when Parachutes came out, my first exposure to Coldplay was hearing Speed of Sound and Talk on the radio, I went out and bought X&Y and the rest is history.

X&Y will always be ‘Coldplay’ to me because that was my first exposure, but no doubt Parachutes and AROBTTH are much better albums.

• Like 2

I think the One Love gig actually sums up everything we have been saying about modern day Coldplay.

Compare One Love with The Super Bowl. Chris Martin awkwardly dancing in between Bruno Mars and Beyoncé and becoming the butt of a lot of jokes and memes. Coldplay are just not that sort of group under it all.. As much as Chris Martin might want to try to be.

One Love on the other hand, Coldplay performing with LG and singing tunes like Live Forever, DLBIA etc. Despite the beef between Coldplay and Oasis in the past, no one was talking about that.. every one was talking about how great it was to see two titans of British rock coming together to respond to a tragedy. Chris looked in his element, because that’s the type of band Coldplay really are underneath it all.

To cut out my rambling my point is more or less, songs like Live Forever, Yellow, DLBIA, Clocks will have people still singing them years and years after they’re released because they have a soul to them that later day Coldplay are completely missing. Hymn For The Weekend might make you a ton of money on the pop charts and be popular for a couple of months but I guarantee you no one will even remember that song in 20 years.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Live Forever, Yellow, DLBIA, Clocks will have people still singing them years and years after they’re released because they have a soul to them that later day Coldplay are completely missing. Hymn For The Weekend might make you a ton of money on the pop charts and be popular for a couple of months but I guarantee you no one will even remember that song in 20 years.

This.

• Like 2