✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

I daresay Jonny's guitar work in the latter half of Trouble In Town may be some of his very best. Right up there with the solos in songs like Talk, A Message, GPASUYF, Cemeteries of London, and Violet Hill.

I'm finally writing on this forum after a several years break! I haven't listened to the album yet, so I would just ask one questions to the Oldplayers who did:

Are Coldplay really back or is it just some kind of trick?

They're back. If you are an Oldplayer, especially a Viva fan, then I think you are unlikely to be disappointed. It's some truly great stuff.

Well, ever since the release of Hypnotised things have been becoming better again. Kaleidoscope EP was the first taste of Oldplay's return, don't you forget that everyone :D

That's right! Kaleidoscope was just less risky because it still included some pop Newplay, heheh.

• Like 3

For sure !

Although have to say Guns was a bit of a letdown for me - great guitar and great verses but the chorus sounds so demo-y and unfinished...

I really hope this will be a full Chris and Jonny acoustic duet. And Jonny rocking the hell out of the last part :heart_eyes:

• Like 2

No other band/artist confuses me like Coldplay does. Since AHFOD I had given up.. since MX there were the great bonus/ep tracks like moving to mars, ghost story, aliens.. but from AHFOD I really thought: from now on, the only Coldplay thing to look forward to are the 1 or 2 non-album tracks.. and if I'm very lucky maybe 1 album track..

I really didnt think they would ever put songs like Trouble in town, eko, guns etc. on an actual album. Maybe they sort of realise they need to keep their older fans happy too.

• Like 7

No other band/artist confuses me like Coldplay does. Since AHFOD I had given up.. since MX there were the great bonus/ep tracks like moving to mars, ghost story, aliens.. but from AHFOD I really thought: from now on, the only Coldplay thing to look forward to are the 1 or 2 non-album tracks.. and if I'm very lucky maybe 1 album track..

I really didnt think they would ever make an album like this. Maybe they sort of realise they need to keep their older fans happy too.

You can’t hide from your true self.

• Like 1

I really slept on how awesome this album is in the first two days LOL

@The Adversary You were so happy about it and I was a bit cautious remember, liking only some songs ? Well, i understood its greatness now !

It’s exactly what we’ve all been asking for a long time, minus a few minor points on song placement and length, so I was a bit surprised you didn’t like it at first.

• Like 1

It’s exactly what we’ve all been asking for a long time, minus a few minor points on song placement and length, so I was a bit surprised you didn’t like it at first.

I mean, I kind of had the wrong expectations I think. I expected to like the songs instantly if they are good. But the truth is, great music often takes a few listens to appreciate. The first time I listened to Parachutes or AROBTTH or X&Y I didn't go 'wow, I love every song on this', I just loved a few. And then over time you appreciate all the fine details and fall in love with the other songs as well.

And if the songs aren't meant for you, like for instance much of AHFOD, you listen a lot and they don't grow on you and you don't feel the need to re-listen to them all the time.

(But I still think the album has terrible flow - as does X&Y, by the way- and some songs like BrokEn, WOTW and Cry Cry Cry would better have been B-sides, LOL)

• Like 5

Which songs do you miss the most live?

I miss the AROBTTH era version of Everything's Not Lost. It's been played on later tours, but even if some of the versions are more or less the same length as in 2002-2003, I sometimes feel like they're rushing through the song more. It used to be such a communal experience. An absolute highlight that lifted every gig they did back then.

I also miss the Parachutes and AROBTTH versions of Trouble. Somehow, I feel like the song sounded better back then. Don't really know why. The same goes for Yellow, even though I'm just happy they've always kept playing it. It sounded a bit off on the Twisted Logic tour and it hasn't quite reached the same heights of the Parachutes tour ever since. In fact, ever since Chris ditched the acoustic guitar halfway through the AROBTTH tour, it never sounded the same anymore (even if he returned to the acoustic guitar post Twisted Logic). It's still a killer live track though, don't get me wrong! It just shows how good the song still is.

Oh, and Cemeteries of London. It sounded so good live. Unfortunately, on the Viva tour it seemed like an opportunity for half of the crowd to go and get beers. So I guess, they won't ever bring it back. Which is a shame, because I really loved it!

• Like 4

This is just brilliant. I’d forgotten just how good this band was back then. I don’t care what anyone says but Coldplay in the arobtth era were right up there with the likes of Oasis, Blur, Radiohead any of their contemporaries you care to name.

This is hands down the best Coldplay concert video out there. Beats the mediocre AROBTTH live DVD. If anyone hasn't seen it yet, expect to be blown away!

• Like 3

I miss the AROBTTH era version of Everything's Not Lost. It's been played on later tours, but even if some of the versions are more or less the same length as in 2002-2003, I sometimes feel like they're rushing through the song more. It used to be such a communal experience. An absolute highlight that lifted every gig they did back then.

I also miss the Parachutes and AROBTTH versions of Trouble. Somehow, I feel like the song sounded better back then. Don't really know why. The same goes for Yellow, even though I'm just happy they've always kept playing it. It sounded a bit off on the Twisted Logic tour and it hasn't quite reached the same heights of the Parachutes tour ever since. In fact, ever since Chris ditched the acoustic guitar halfway through the AROBTTH tour, it never sounded the same anymore (even if he returned to the acoustic guitar post Twisted Logic). It's still a killer live track though, don't get me wrong! It just shows how good the song still is.

Oh, and Cemeteries of London. It sounded so good live. Unfortunately, on the Viva tour it seemed like an opportunity for half of the crowd to go and get beers. So I guess, they won't ever bring it back. Which is a shame, because I really loved it!

I wish they'd play Everything's Not Lost on a regular basis again. That'd be amazing. Same with Live Is For Living, the original version of Warning Sign, Death And All His Friends, Cemeteries of London (they did play it a few times in the early part of the MX era), Lost!, AROBTTH, Glass of Water, White Shadows, Spies (that live intro is absolutely perfect), the AROBTTH version of Don't Panic with the different intro and Chris on electric guitar...

Heck, I could think of entire setlists made up entirely of rare tracks I wish they'd play again.

• Like 5

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/coldplays-record-label-say-they-want-to-release-another-album-as-soon-as-possible-after-everyday-life__27757/

Concerning stuff coming from Parlophone at the moment. from Parlophone’s co-president:

“I don’t think it’s a sister record. This is very much a record the band needs to get out of their system”

“Get out of their system”!? This has me very worried that EL will be a flash in the pan and the Newplay pop ship will be steered right back on course.

Still too early to say Coldplay are back ladies and gentlemen!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/coldplays-record-label-say-they-want-to-release-another-album-as-soon-as-possible-after-everyday-life__27757/

Concerning stuff coming from Parlophone at the moment. from Parlophone’s co-president:

“I don’t think it’s a sister record. This is very much a record the band needs to get out of their system”

“Get out of their system”!? This has me very worried that EL will be a flash in the pan and the Newplay pop ship will be steered right back on course.

Yeah it's such a bummer. Bet most of the masterpieces on this record will also not make it on the next proper tour then...

• Like 2

Yeah it's such a bummer. Bet most of the masterpieces on this record will also not make it on the next proper tour then...

I always refer back to this interview with Chris during the AHFOD era:

At 10:40 he is asked about the change in sound and pretty much explains their view on writing music. Just because we got a good album with the right influences this time, doesn’t mean we’re not going to get a pop album one direction would be proud of next time round.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I’d dare say just because EL is a return to Oldplay, we’re not out of the woods yet in regards the near future.

• Like 3

Yeah... I posted about this in one of the EL threads and it's disappointing to think about. I really do think Ghost Stories was somewhat of a step in the right direction with songs like Midnight, Oceans, and Ghost Story. But I recall them saying similar things about having to get that album "out of their system" and look how AHFOD turned out...

Is this how things are going to be now? MX was a step back from Viva, GS was a step forward, AHFOD was a big step back, EL is a leap forward if you ask me... god forbid they take a leap back for LP9. : unamused:

• Like 2

If they ever play either White Shadows, X&Y the song, or Low (okay, even Speed of Sound on the main stage) again, I will be incredibly happy. Any one of those songs. Just once. But I doubt it'll ever happen (and they have a good reason for not wanting to be reminded of the X&Y era).

• Like 4

I always refer back to this interview with Chris during the AHFOD era:

At 10:40 he is asked about the change in sound and pretty much explains their view on writing music. Just because we got a good album with the right influences this time, doesn’t mean we’re not going to get a pop album one direction would be proud of next time round.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I’d dare say just because EL is a return to Oldplay, we’re not out of the woods yet in regards the near future.

Reminds me of that other AHFOD Era interview (can't remember which) where he is confronted with their change in sound too and he gets defensive and says something like "Yellow was our poppiest song".

Compare that to the Chris in the Live 2003 documentary sitting in the tour bus telling a journalist "we are fighting to get sincere music to be a thing again"...

• Like 6

I know I'm late to the party but even if we get AHFOD part 2 next year, I'm extremely happy we got this album. I almost felt relief after the first full listen, because deep down we all knew the band was still there. This is probably going to be a really short era so I say we make the most it, I for one can't wait to hear all these new amazing songs played live.

• Like 4

Reminds me of that other AHFOD Era interview (can't remember which) where he is confronted with their change in sound too and he gets defensive and says something like "Yellow was our poppiest song".

Compare that to the Chris in the Live 2003 documentary sitting in the tour bus telling a journalist "we are fighting to get sincere music to be a thing again"...

Could anyone link that interview?

Gosh, I love coming back to this performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=w06S7Z4tKZU;list=WL;t=0

Based on what I've seen of performances from 1999-2001, 2001 is when the band really started to take off live and get that kind of energy you see in the AROBTTH tour shows. Like, look at Chris, with all his energy channeled into some great vocals and rhythm guitar playing instead of just sprinting back and forth across the stage, especially in Spies.

• Like 2