✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

If they ever play either White Shadows, X&Y the song, or Low (okay, even Speed of Sound on the main stage) again, I will be incredibly happy. Any one of those songs. Just once. But I doubt it'll ever happen (and they have a good reason for not wanting to be reminded of the X&Y era).

I think they would/could perform more older songs live again if they ever consider doing an Anniversary Tour of some sort.

• Like 2

Gosh, I love coming back to this performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=w06S7Z4tKZU;list=WL;t=0

Based on what I've seen of performances from 1999-2001, 2001 is when the band really started to take off live and get that kind of energy you see in the AROBTTH tour shows. Like, look at Chris, with all his energy channeled into some great vocals and rhythm guitar playing instead of just sprinting back and forth across the stage, especially in Spies.

Wow, I didn't know this existed! It's great! Also, it's so much better than the 2003 Sydney DVD, which is a rather poor representation of how good that tour was. They seem so tired on that DVD. This however, has tons more energy! The early AROBTTH songs sound a bit iffy though. But that's part of the charm.

• Like 5

Holy $hit you guys. How bad is this album :sob:

The *ONLY* track I'm vibing with is "CHURCH" -- it really feels Prospekt's March Era for me.

Church is weird IMO, sounds like Ghost Stories if you ask me and that's probably because of Stargate. It wasn't one of my favorite tracks on the album at first but it has grown on me. Didn't think I'd like a Stargate-produced song on this record after they absolutely murdered 99% of AHFOD but it's actually really relaxing and catchy without being a cheesy mess that sounds like something off a Maroon 5 or Justin Bieber album.

Holy $hit you guys. How bad is this album :sob:

The *ONLY* track I'm vibing with is "CHURCH" -- it really feels Prospekt's March Era for me.

:confused::worried::eek: wow really? Only Church? Trouble in town, Old friends, Eko, Champion of the world, bad? You dont get Parachutes/AROBTTH/Viva/PM vibes from these tracks?

• Like 2

:confused::worried::eek: wow really? Only Church? Trouble in town, Old friends, Eko, Champion of the world, bad? You dont get Parachutes/AROBTTH/Viva/PM vibes from these tracks?

It took me a little while to get into this album (non delivery of my CD etc has not helped!) but it resonates on so many levels and I totally get it. :heart:

• Like 3

Yesterday evening when they did that cover of Gypsy Woman, I felt something that I had not felt in a while.

I felt the band that used to do legendary BBC radio sessions and covers back in the early days is BACK. That sparkle, that magic of Oldplay, has crept back in !

• Like 3

Yesterday evening when they did that cover of Gypsy Woman, I felt something that I had not felt in a while.

I felt the band that used to do legendary BBC radio sessions and covers back in the early days is BACK. That sparkle, that magic of Oldplay, has crept back in ![/Quote]

Chris Martin: “I haven’t told the rest of the band this, but maybe when it’s the 20th anniversary of that album (X&Y) we will release a version that album of how it should have been”

Source ColdplayXtra

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Chris Martin: “I haven’t told the rest of the band this, but maybe when it’s the 20th anniversary of that album (X&Y) we will release a version that album of how it should have been”

Source ColdplayXtra

Yep, just heard him say that live on radio. Well, I doubt it will happen but I would be open for it. It would mean finally getting to hear these songs live !

• Love 1

Yep, just heard him say that live on radio. Well, I doubt it will happen but I would be open for it. It would mean finally getting to hear these songs live !

If it does happen (big if) I don’t know how it would really turn out. Ken Nelson has a big footprint on that record and without him I think a lot of the songs could end up sounding very Ghost Stories-esque and in my opinion that would be a step backward for that album, not forward.

Or Chris Martin could go full new play and have Arianna Grande do vocals on Fix You and turn Speed of Sound into an R&B/Rap track.....

• Sad 2

Does anyone know why they fired Ken Nelson? I feel like he deserves more credit for their amazing early sound. Not to mention poor Danton Supple gets completely overshadowed in their legacy by Brian Eno and the band's general dislike of the album he produced. In my opinion, X&Y is their best album but I hadn't even heard of him until recently.

• Like 1

I, too, think X&Y (in general) is their best album... besides the other two earlier albums.

Weird that it is exactly this album the band don't like much. Personally I wouldn't change a thing of it.

More prefer an anniversary box set with unused tracks from these sessions... Of course this is unlikely to happen.

• Like 4

I love Everyday Life.

To me this album is even better than Viva, and that’s really saying something for a Coldplay album released this decade.

Long live Oldplay.

I have to admit after listening to it on repeat for the past weeks I feel the same. I think they took it to the next level with the experimentation.

Chris's voice really sounds great when he doesn't have to do 200 shows in 3 years

What a breathtaking performance!

Does anyone know why they fired Ken Nelson? I feel like he deserves more credit for their amazing early sound. Not to mention poor Danton Supple gets completely overshadowed in their legacy by Brian Eno and the band's general dislike of the album he produced. In my opinion, X&Y is their best album but I hadn't even heard of him until recently.

They just weren't happy with the output. They felt he wasn't pushing them enough in terms of creativity and coming up with fresh ideas. Getting Brian Eno on was a genius move but all he essentially did was change the band dynamics. And that's how Viva happened. And then MX happened and all the crap afterwards. I think avoiding working with Ken Nelson was a huge mistake for the band and is what caused their loss of identity. If he was on board right after Viva things would be very different now.

• Like 3