✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Chris's voice really sounds great when he doesn't have to do 200 shows in 3 years

So beautiful. By the way, next year marks the 20th anniversary of Parachutes.

They better should do a live performance of the whole album somewhere then (incl. re-installing a light globe on a keyboard/piano).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether this has been posted here before: Coldplay - Phenomenon (Full Music Documentary)

It's an interesting documentary about Coldplay's first three albums.

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Btw, I spotted some rehearsal setlist from 2000 (or earlier) in the time frame 3:46. It contains these tracks:

Bigger Stronger

Careful Where You Stand

Don't Panic

Everything's Not Lost

For You

Help Is Round The Corner

High Speed

No More Keeping My Feet On The Ground

See You Soon

Shiver

Sparks

Spies

Such A Rush

Trouble

We Never Change

Yellow

You Only Live Twice

Parachutes

Looks like they obviously planned to perform the other Safety tracks on tour as well ('No More Keeping My Feet On The Ground' and 'Such A Rush'),

and also the 'Shiver' single b-sides!

• 3 weeks later...

I wish there was a time machine that would take me back to witness performances like this:

Nothing Coldplay is doing now or will ever do in the future, no matter how good it is, will have the same intensity they had back in those years.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

I wish there was a time machine that would take me back to witness performances like this:

Nothing Coldplay is doing now or will ever do in the future, no matter how good it is, will have the same intensity they had back in those years.

I know how you feel.. Sometimes it makes me irrationally sad I wasn't older/a Coldplay fan back then. What I'd give to go to one of the early concerts....

• Like 3

I know how you feel.. Sometimes it makes me irrationally sad I wasn't older/a Coldplay fan back then. What I'd give to go to one of the early concerts....

I always feel strangely nostaligic about this era too, and that time around the late nineties/early noughties in general. That sort of music almost never gets played on mainstream radio these days, but I would have been ecstatic to hear some X&Y or AROBTTH tunes when they came out on the radio.

I remember my mom always playing X&Y in the car around the time it came out, even though I was way too young to go to any concerts or anything. The first time I saw them live was the AHFODT, though I tried to get tickets for the GS tour...but it’s just not the same as the thought of going to a concert in the early noughties:weary_face:

• Like 2

Now we've had some time to sit with it, do we think Everyday Life counts as a return to Oldplay or not?

Imo no, because there aren’t enough songs with electric guitar in them that was the hallmark of LP2/3. In most songs, Jonny is barely audible:(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Now we've had some time to sit with it, do we think Everyday Life counts as a return to Oldplay or not?

No, I think it isn't a return to Oldplay. The main difference is that there are many completely new styles and musical directions. And I don't want them to return, I want them to move on. And that's what they are doing.

• Like 3

I'd have a hard time calling it Oldplay.... Depending on what LP9 sounds like, I might even argue that perhaps Oldplay (Parachtues - Viva) and Newplay (MX - AHFOD) might be limiting categorizations.

I'd say EL has more similarities with Viva, which also explored one-off genres and felt (risky/experimental) for the band. Viva for me has always been the transition between Oldplay and Newplay -- it kept the alternative part of their roots and mixed it with new genres propelling them into Mylo Xyloto and more pop-friendly stuff. Perhaps EL will be yet another transition from Newplay to NewNewPlay ? haha

If I had to categorize EL, I'd say it's a refined, acoustic version of Newplay.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

I've come back after a few months and the forum has changed yet again ? I'm struggling to figure out what's what/who's who! Can my dear lovely Oldplayers please enlighten me as to what's been going on and whether there's been another change in ownership? I've never been so inactive in my 12 years in this place and I guess most of it has to do with how social media dramatically improved the ease of sharing your thoughts and opinions with others. A huge number of older members also left and my interest in the band declined as well. I was going to create a new thread to serve as a hub for all of the coldplaying member reviews of EL along with my own detailed review of the album but for whatever bizarre reason the band decided their best album in years will have the shortest era time span, and so all momentum was lost! 

On 1/23/2020 at 2:06 PM, Famous Old Painter said:

I absolutely think it was. The strings and choir in Sunrise, When I Need A Friend and Everyday Life is trademark Coldplay. Church draws from both Parachutes and VLV. Daddy, Wotw-Potp, Old Friends and Flags sound like they ARE from Parachutes. Guns and Eko probably came from the VLV sessions. Trouble In Town's final third has AROBTTH written all over it. Jonny's guitar work and the final minute of Arabesque are basically X&Y and بنی آدم could have been on Prospekt's March. You also get the marvelous experimentation we've come to expect from the band throughout the entire record. 

You remove Orphans and replace Champions of The World with Flags and we get a 10/10 Oldplay album. And that is something I never thought would say again.   

I'm incredibly frustrated at how the band chose to treat what is effectively their best work since VLV. This is a record that deserved to be marketed properly, heard more and toured for longer. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, nvdmm said:

I've come back after a few months and the forum has changed yet again ? I'm struggling to figure out what's what/who's who! Can my dear lovely Oldplayers please enlighten me as to what's been going on and whether there's been another change in ownership? I've never been so inactive in my 12 years in this place and I guess most of it has to do with how social media dramatically improved the ease of sharing your thoughts and opinions with others. A huge number of older members also left and my interest in the band declined as well. I was going to create a new thread to serve as a hub for all of the coldplaying member reviews of EL along with my own detailed review of the album but for whatever bizarre reason the band decided their best album in years will have the shortest era time span, and so all momentum was lost! 

I absolutely think it was. The strings and choir in Sunrise, When I Need A Friend and Everyday Life is trademark Coldplay. Church draws from both Parachutes and VLV. Daddy, Wotw-Potp, Old Friends and Flags sound like they ARE from Parachutes. Guns and Eko probably came from the VLV sessions. Trouble In Town's final third has AROBTTH written all over it. Jonny's guitar work and the final minute of Arabesque are basically X&Y and بنی آدم could have been on Prospekt's March. You also get the marvelous experimentation we've come to expect from the band throughout the entire record. 

You remove Orphans and replace Champions of The World with Flags and we get a 10/10 Oldplay album. And that is something I never thought would say again.   

I'm incredibly frustrated at how the band chose to treat what is effectively their best work since VLV. This is a record that deserved to be marketed properly, heard more and toured for longer. 

If they had toured EL though, the whole thing would have been cancelled by COVID anyway sadly ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, nvdmm said:

I've come back after a few months and the forum has changed yet again ? I'm struggling to figure out what's what/who's who! Can my dear lovely Oldplayers please enlighten me as to what's been going on and whether there's been another change in ownership?

No change in ownership, but a new server and a different forum software! ?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, nvdmm said:

Welcome back ! Ownership is still the same (Stephen), but the forum did a major upgrade that allows better social media integration and is now also for the first time ever entirely self-hosted 

I'm sad that the EL Era was so short as well. I was lucky enough to be one of the few to see the band live in London, and it was just an amazing concert. Love this album a lot, possibly even more than initially when it came out.

By the way I think Champion of the World is a very Oldplayish song too. The structure, the guitar and the vocal lines make it sound like the child of AROBTTH and X&Y to me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, I ran away said:

Welcome back ! Ownership is still the same (Stephen), but the forum did a major upgrade that allows better social media integration and is now also for the first time ever entirely self-hosted 

I'm sad that the EL Era was so short as well. I was lucky enough to be one of the few to see the band live in London, and it was just an amazing concert. Love this album a lot, possibly even more than initially when it came out.

By the way I think Champion of the World is a very Oldplayish song too. The structure, the guitar and the vocal lines make it sound like the child of AROBTTH and X&Y to me.

Thank you for your kind message.

I completely agree with you on Champion of the World and I'm very much glad we got to hear it. I just think it doesn't quite fit the tone of the record quite as much as Flags does and that's why I think they should have been switched.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 5:43 AM, JM-42 said:

Well, seems like there's lots of catching up that I have to do in this forum if I ever plan to be a kind of active member again.

Glad I can always come here to find some good Oldplay content tho.

Welcome back! And yeah we're looking forward to more activity from you :) The last few months have been so quiet. Even I've been terribly quiet for a while ?

• Like 1