✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

I've been listening to A Rush Of Blood To The Head and its B-sides quite a lot lately. I'm really hoping we get a cool 20th anniversary deluxe re-release in 2022. They might not do this if they end up promoting a new album around the same time, but hey, we might get lucky.

If I could put together a special anniversary deluxe edition, this is what I would include:

• The original album, remastered
  • All the B-sides, remastered
  • Previously unreleased songs like Idiot and A Ghost. Maybe even A View From The Top, or whatever that song is actually called (because this is an unofficial title)
  • Demos and/or early live versions of songs from the 2001 tour
  • The full audio for Live 2003, because the original live album only includes part of the concert
  • Live 2003 on Blu-ray, including all the bonus features and music videos
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Care 1

2 hours ago, 42Escapist said:

I've been listening to A Rush Of Blood To The Head and its B-sides quite a lot lately. I'm really hoping we get a cool 20th anniversary deluxe re-release in 2022. They might not do this if they end up promoting a new album around the same time, but hey, we might get lucky.

If I could put together a special anniversary deluxe edition, this is what I would include:

• The original album, remastered
  • All the B-sides, remastered
  • Previously unreleased songs like Idiot and A Ghost. Maybe even A View From The Top, or whatever that song is actually called (because this is an unofficial title)
  • Demos and/or early live versions of songs from the 2001 tour
  • The full audio for Live 2003, because the original live album only includes part of the concert
  • Live 2003 on Blu-ray, including all the bonus features and music videos

Wow, that'd be quite a re-release! It'd be awesome!

Also, the full-lenght Live 2003 console recording (also unmastered/less people screams) is available floating around the web, it's in lossless quality too... that'd be the audio only part of the concert! :P

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Every now and then I come across an old, obscure live performance that I've never heard before and I think it's absolutely gorgeous. That's how I feel about this acoustic version of Politik. I believe it's from... 2002? Someone in the comments says it's from 2002. Chris's voice has changed over the years and this definitely sounds like his Rush Of Blood To The Head era voice.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, 42Escapist said:

Every now and then I come across an old, obscure live performance that I've never heard before and I think it's absolutely gorgeous. That's how I feel about this acoustic version of Politik. I believe it's from... 2002? Someone in the comments says it's from 2002. Chris's voice has changed over the years and this definitely sounds like his Rush Of Blood To The Head era voice.

It's indeed from Coldplay live acoustic at Cafe Kultcomplex in Cologne, 2002!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 10:26 PM, 42Escapist said:

what a hidden gem!  I'm pretty sure I've heard this version before...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, JM-42 said:

It was good while it lasted but I'm not sure we'll have any Oldplay references during the upcoming era. And I totally understand that. Hope I'm wrong tho!

Don't worry it was just an offhand comment I made in response to the Higher Power snippet. I just wanted to dust off this thread for possible discussions about Coldplay's older sound, like during the AHFOD and EL eras!

• Like 1

I'm just hoping there's some sort of resemblance to the X&Y sound in LP9. Moving To Mars is a great example of a non-Oldplay song that's like that. It reminds me of What If. But I also want something like Talk that manages to be a guitar-based anthem as big as something from MX but still has a space rock atmosphere to it. And something like White Shadows or Low that lets the individual band members shine without being hidden by layers of synths, but still has a space rock atmosphere (and real drums).

I'm probably asking for too much, but I'm not giving up hope that there will be at least a couple of great songs.

Also, Chris should play electric guitar more. He's a good rhythm player, yet he has hardly ever picked up an electric guitar during a concert since the X&Y era (apart from performances of a few songs). Live 2003 is full of songs that feature Chris on an electric guitar and he sounds great. He even plays one in Don't Panic and it doesn't sound out of place.

• Like 10

I really want to see if they explored a bit more into the Moving to Mars, A L I E N S, AICTAIY direction on the upcoming album. Those have been the highpoints of Newplay for me.

Btw, not sure if anyone has pointed it out before but this channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/breanchu/videos

has been uploading some really good and rare bootlegs starting from the Parachutes era. Currently in the VLV era now.

Edited by JM-42
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Well here I am wishing the Everyday Life era lasted forever! I think we all knew they were heading this way but I was hoping it would more closely resemble MX rather than AHFOD. But its Disney and popsicles all over again!

I have to say though with EL I reevaluated my position on the band after a decade. I now firmly believe they actually are still capable of creating great records, its just their choices too often stop that from happening. 

• Like 3

Yes, poppier music simply sells better these days.

1 hour ago, nvdmm said:

Well here I am wishing the Everyday Life era lasted forever!

I'm still not over it! The Everyday Life era was way too short, for sure.

Edited by Gideon_Mx
  • Like 3

Can't help but find myself turning to the 2001 live coverage of coldplay at glastonbury, after having heard Higher Power a couple of times. That opening pad, those crashing opening sounds of Politik... always makes me a bit nostalgic after Coldplay puts out something new. Higher Power will grow on me as well, but the sounds of AROBTHH are just too deeply rooted inside me to ever be topped I guess....

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, prospekt46 said:

was a bigger fan of the first Birds really

Exactly haha. 

I'm an Oldplayer since '02. It's times like this where I anxiously await a new record because I'm a loyal fan and then when I'm disappointed, I turn back to the old stuff. 

• Like 1

I can't help feeling a tad alienated (if you'll excuse the pun) with regard to the new era. Like when AHFOD was released, only a bit better this time because EL gave me confidence that they can still be great - if, like @nvdmmsaid above, they choose to.

Not gonna lie, even if there are parts of the song that I like (e.g. the Eastern Asian chant vibes and the intro, and some other bits), I can't help but feel it's not the same band as the one I fell in love with.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

16 hours ago, I ran away said:

I can't help feeling a tad alienated (if you'll excuse the pun) with regard to the new era. Like when AHFOD was released, only a bit better this time because EL gave me confidence that they can still be great - if, like @nvdmmsaid above, they choose to.

Not gonna lie, even if there are parts of the song that I like (e.g. the Eastern Asian chant vibes and the intro, and some other bits), I can't help but feel it's not the same band as the one I fell in love with.

Same people, same band, vastly varied output. 

We're now less shocked when something crap like Higher Power is released, after experiencing their music these past few eras. But that doesn't take away from its crappiness! To minimize our frustration I think we should expect much worse. Like a collaboration with BTS...oh never mind that is actually happening! 

1 hour ago, nvdmm said:

Same people, same band, vastly varied output. 

We're now less shocked when something crap like Higher Power is released, after experiencing their music these past few eras. But that doesn't take away from its crappiness! To minimize our frustration I think we should expect much worse. Like a collaboration with BTS...oh never mind that is actually happening! 

I think you can close that bracket in your signature with "2020" ?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, I ran away said:

Preach, I Ran Away. I've always felt we shared taste in Coldplay and I agree that at some point you have to reckon with yourself that Coldplay is a different band and accept a new form of fandom. I thought the recent Zane Lowe interview was interesting because in the past, Chris has said "I don't care what people think" but now he's saying he wants people to enjoy the music -- kind of an easy excuse to adopt more pop sounds. 

I think I was really forced to reckon with Ghost Stories and recalibrate my expectations. I really thought that record was going to be super alternative after MX but in reality it was contemporary pop with mediocre lyrics. i still love that album, but it took me a long time to take a deep breath and be like "try to enjoy it for what it is." So naturally AHFOD landed a bit better for me at first because I just reconciled there were going to be tracks I didn't like. 

Now I feel like Oldplayer's are in a precarious position again, because EL really rekindled by hope that the band could make some truly big and epic stadium rock again while not sacrificing their alt roots. Higher Power to some extent feels like a natural continuation from Champion of the World, but I'm having eerily similar feels to ASFOS, where the Avicii production really removed the band dynamic. I think Max Martin is an undeniably brilliant producer, but I can't help but listen to HP with a bit of a cringe that Jonny's guitar is completely inaudible and that the finale of the track literally adds just a tambourine instrumentally. Orphans at least had this big swell of the choir and the guitar outro with the "I wanna be with you til the whole world ends..." but here it's just Will & Guy with the same beat for about 3 mins straight.

So I'm cautiously optimistic that LP9 could deliver some awesome pre-MX atmospheres and even some awesome post-MX guitar licks, but if Max Martin produces the whole record you have to wonder...

Edited by lennyrott1
  • Like 2

I read some of the comments on social media about the new track from what seems like younger fans (do they "stan" Chris now? lol) and it made me think...do they get teased in school about liking Coldplay? That used to be a rite of passage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prospekt46 said:

I read some of the comments on social media about the new track from what seems like younger fans (do they "stan" Chris now? lol) and it made me think...do they get teased in school about liking Coldplay? That used to be a rite of passage. 

For me, whenever I bring up Coldplay they mostly go “yes. I know them.” And then sing paradise over and over again. So I think that my current generation have softened up a bit for pop Coldplay.

Edited by GamingForeverAUS
  • Like 2

Yeah. Ever since 2015-2016 I think the general public has learned to at least tolerate Coldplay. Songs like Paradise, ASFOS, AOAL, HFTW and SJLT have certainly helped with this.

On 5/6/2021 at 7:51 PM, I ran away said:

After AHFOD was released I was actually worried they were going to keep pushing in that direction and eventually make music I consider dull like some other contemporary pop rock bands (the worst one being Maroon 5 imo). Thankfully we got Everyday Life and now I'm ready for whatever Popplay has to offer. I know I'm probably not going to like all of it but they seem convinced this is the direction they have to take if they want to keep being "Bon Jovi massive".

Edited by JM-42
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, GamingForeverAUS said:

For me, whenever I bring up Coldplay they mostly go “yes. I know them.” And then sing paradise over and over again. So I think that my current generation have softened up a bit for pop Coldplay.

I've long since lost count of how many times I've heard Yellow on TikTok. At the very least, the younger generation is willing to like the hits... even the early 2000s hits.

• Like 2