✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Heard Everglow right now and it confirms to me that Coldplay have lost their unique ability write magically outstanding songs. Welcome, blandness and mediocrity. Everglow is such a mediocre ballad - you know, it's not particularly good and it is not particularly bad either, it's as mediocre as a song can get. And when that happens, you know the spark of art has died.

Heard Everglow right now and it confirms to me that Coldplay have lost their unique ability write magically outstanding songs. Welcome, blandness and mediocrity. Everglow is such a mediocre ballad - you know, it's not particularly good and it is not particularly bad either, it's as mediocre as a song can get. And when that happens, you know the spark of art has died.

Lets wait until the album until we can denounce that Coldplay have lost their ability to write amazing songs, but I have to agree with you on Everglow as a song.

Yeah, of course I still have (very, very small though) hopes for the album.

Aside from that, I know tastes in music vary a lot and are always subjective, but it annoys me when people say Everglow is better than What If and Fix You.

I wanna live in this thread.

I won't classify myself as either an 'Oldplayer' or a 'Newplayer', as I like most of Coldplay's work throughout the years and I feel there's an element of musical snobbishness in those terms (similar to 'real fan') which I don't like - but I have to say that it has reminded me to delve back into Coldplay's back catalogue and rediscover some real gems. Their Parachutes, and pre-Parachutes, era songs in particular are just :dazzled:

• Like 1

I haven't even heard Everglow, but I mean, not every song is an absolute masterpiece! I don't need every song to be AMAZING, and please don't tell me that all of Coldplay's older works were amazing because they weren't all hits and definitely weren't all exceptional!! Personally, I understand that you guys miss the old Coldplay, and I also completely understand that you have a right to your opinion, but I think a lot of you are completely denouncing their new songs because they aren't exact copies of Parachutes songs, which I think is totally wrong!! I think you should listen with an open mind and even if it still isn't up to your standards, understand that if Coldplay was still making Parachutes copies they probably would be immensely criticized for their work and you would all probably be vouching for a change instead.

I haven't even heard Everglow, but I mean, not every song is an absolute masterpiece! I don't need every song to be AMAZING, and please don't tell me that all of Coldplay's older works were amazing because they weren't all hits and definitely weren't all exceptional!! Personally, I understand that you guys miss the old Coldplay, and I also completely understand that you have a right to your opinion, but I think a lot of you are completely denouncing their new songs because they aren't exact copies of Parachutes songs, which I think is totally wrong!! I think you should listen with an open mind and even if it still isn't up to your standards, understand that if Coldplay was still making Parachutes copies they probably would be immensely criticized for their work and you would all probably be vouching for a change instead.

What people don't usually understand about Oldplayers is that we don't want them to sound just like they sounded before, we want only them to be TRUE TO THEIRSELVES. Originality is that balance between being recognisable, reinventing your sound and try something different from what the 99% of the world does.

• Like 1

What people don't usually understand about Oldplayers is that we don't want them to sound just like they sounded before, we want only them to be TRUE TO THEIRSELVES. Originality is that balance between being recognisable, reinventing your sound and try something different from what the 99% of the world does.

I agree with that, but sometimes it seems otherwise. Though, I think Coldplay are pretty darn good at reinventing themselves.

I agree with that, but sometimes it seems otherwise. Though, I think Coldplay are pretty darn good at reinventing themselves.

I don't think Coldplay are good at reinventing themselves. I think they've been successful in doing so once, X&Y then into VLV. That was a massive success. Since then they seem to have been lost and I think Chris is trying too hard to find a new direction and a new sound and ultimately losing his way creatively. If you want an artist who truely reinvents himself with ease then you have to look at Bowie and to some extent U2. At the moment it saddens me to see the seemingly downward creative spiral Coldplay are on that all the live gimmicks, fancy CGI videos, star guests on the album and multi coloured costumes can't hide.

• Like 1

To explain it better, look how VLVODAHHF was received when it was released and the differences with MX.

Both of them have been a great departure from their previous work, but the first was acclaimed, the second was criticised. Why?

If it was like you said before, Oldplayer should have hated them both, but instead they love VLV.

The answer is that VLV is original, inspired and inspiring, versatile but you can recognise the true soul of CP in their songs. They reinvented themselves staying coherent with the people they are.

And I just can't find all these things in their following albums, except for a couple of songs here and there, that's the fact.

To explain it better, look how VLVODAHHF was received when it was released and the differences with MX.

Both of them have been a great departure from their previous work, but the first was acclaimed, the second was criticised. Why?

If it was like you said before, Oldplayer should have hated them both, but instead they love VLV.

The answer is that VLV is original, inspired and inspiring, versatile but you can recognise the true soul of CP in their songs. They reinvented themselves staying coherent with the people they are.

And I just can't find all these things in their following albums, except for a couple of songs here and there, that's the fact.

VLVODAHHF was NOT original, it was heavily influenced by Arcade Fire.

[video=youtube;NuxCPvS3dWA]

[video=youtube;RUd0WKqb5EE]

Yes, it absolutely was. But original doesn't mean that you're not influenced by anything. Everybody take inspiration by someone else, to be original you have to find that balance between your specific style and your influences, in order to sound fresh and being immediately recognisable.

When I hear Violet Hill or Lovers In Japan I can say "this is Coldplay" from the first notes, even if I know that Arcade Fire influenced them (and Chris at the time admitted that by saying that AF are the best band in the world, and I agree with this opinion). When I listen for example to "Adventure Of A Lifetime" I think of Bruno Mars feat. Daft Punk, not Coldplay, this is what I'm trying to say.

[video=youtube;r5ldYvrrdgY]

Came across this beauty - the song really shines without the dodgy production on X&Y )even though it was still great on the album!)

Hopefully we get some more X&Y on the 2016 tour - Im hoping they play Swallowed in the Sea, that song is criminally underrated, I get so nostalgic listening to it

@beastwars I agree but I think they lost their recognizable sound with that very album.

To me, AROBTTH will always be their pinnacle. I don't want them being experimental (most artist yes, but they don't do it right), I don't want them being stadium rock, just the piano, guitar, bass, drums, nothing unique about it except for Chris' voice and the sentiment.

X&Y was the album I connect most with because that's when I became a fan, but that album is uneven, they were in a rut, they had to change. Viva was the result of that, with all subsequent albums trying to repeat it.

[video=youtube;RUd0WKqb5EE]

In a way this kind of hits the nail on the head. Coldplay were never that original, they were always criticized for ripping off bands like Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, My Bloody Valentine etc. The difference is those were bands worth ripping off; they made intelligent, emotionally resonant and timeless music, all of which flowed into Coldplay's works. Compare that to today where Chris is getting his inspiration from of-the-moment chart acts, who play formulaic music appealing to the lowest common denominator for the purpose of shifting units. I'm certainly not saying that's what Coldplay themselves are doing, I have no doubt Chris is making this sort of music out of love and sincerity. But it's just sad to see it go like this, considering the taste and judgement they used to show.

In a way this kind of hits the nail on the head. Coldplay were never that original, they were always criticized for ripping off bands like Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sigur Ros, My Bloody Valentine etc. The difference is those were bands worth ripping off; they made intelligent, emotionally resonant and timeless music, all of which flowed into Coldplay's works. Compare that to today where Chris is getting his inspiration from of-the-moment chart acts, who play formulaic music appealing to the lowest common denominator for the purpose of shifting units. I'm certainly not saying that's what Coldplay themselves are doing, I have no doubt Chris is making this sort of music out of love and sincerity. But it's just sad to see it go like this, considering the taste and judgement they used to show.

Some of the music theyve made since Viva has been not like the radio hits just listen to ghost stories. The only song worthy of the radio is ASFOS

I agree with this post that Coldplay have never been the most original band... Even from their 1st album, I always felt I could always hear other bands in their sounds and in a number of their songs (I should know, I've been around since Yellow, and I listened to far more different bands and music back then than I do now). If people are looking for original, they've come to the wrong band... People only remember a lot of their old songs as classics because they've lasted through the years, and after awhile, the songs get identified as uniquely Coldplay, along with the unique Coldplay elements, long after the original music that has inspired the song is forgotten...

The only thing that strikes me as being unique about Coldplay (and that's probably just because I haven't heard this from another band / musician that actually does do this) is the way Chris careens his voice to squeeze out that emotion particularly doing falsettos, the way Jonny + CM combine to bring out subtle layers and nonverbal emotion in a song, the unrivaled rhythm section (almost too dependable to the extent of boring), the multiple layers in the music with fully formed lines... And nowadays, that joyful sound of togetherness and feeling of pure joy, particularly in concert. Oh, and that the favourites never get old... the rest is strictly speaking more to do with how the band conduct themselves as people and with each other rather than music per se... To their credit, they did make it fashionable and acceptable for reasonably good musicians to be doing soft / soothing rock rather than the Oasis /RH/Muse harder-sounding kind... they've always gone for soothing and connecting rather than emotionally/sonically challenging.

Remember when people used to compare Chris' voice with Jeff Buckley (remember Shiver?), or criticise their rock sound as being bed-wetter music? I personally thought the Bash-bash-bash opening for Politik was totally inappropriate and just lazy, while the repeated arpeggiation in Clocks was unoriginal and uninspiring (coming from a classical piano background where this was one of the drills)... But over time the songs (as well as these features) have become unique, and are now considered classics. Maybe the Oldplayers who don't like their newer sounds forget / do not know that they weren't that great in the first place (there's a reason I often joke that they are the greatest covers band /session musicians- it's because they are not the most original but they strive hard to achieve a sound), or maybe they identify with the wrong things that make Coldplay unique... The point is, those bits aren't that special/ unique anyway.

• Like 1

I agree with this post that Coldplay have never been the most original band... Even from their 1st album, I always felt I could always hear other bands in their sounds and in a number of their songs (I should know, I've been around since Yellow, and I listened to far more different bands and music back then than I do now). If people are looking for original, they've come to the wrong band... People only remember a lot of their old songs as classics because they've lasted through the years, and after awhile, the songs get identified as uniquely Coldplay, along with the unique Coldplay elements, long after the original music that has inspired the song is forgotten...

The only thing that strikes me as being unique about Coldplay (and that's probably just because I haven't heard this from another band / musician that actually does do this) is the way Chris careens his voice to squeeze out that emotion particularly doing falsettos, the way Jonny + CM combine to bring out subtle layers and nonverbal emotion in a song, the unrivaled rhythm section (almost too dependable to the extent of boring), the multiple layers in the music with fully formed lines... And nowadays, that joyful sound of togetherness and feeling of pure joy, particularly in concert. Oh, and that the favourites never get old... the rest is strictly speaking more to do with how the band conduct themselves as people and with each other rather than music per se... To their credit, they did make it fashionable and acceptable for reasonably good musicians to be doing soft / soothing rock rather than the Oasis /RH/Muse harder-sounding kind... they've always gone for soothing and connecting rather than emotionally/sonically challenging.

Remember when people used to compare Chris' voice with Jeff Buckley (remember Shiver?), or criticise their rock sound as being bed-wetter music? I personally thought the Bash-bash-bash opening for Politik was totally inappropriate and just lazy, while the repeated arpeggiation in Clocks was unoriginal and uninspiring (coming from a classical piano background where this was one of the drills)... But over time the songs (as well as these features) have become unique, and are now considered classics. Maybe the Oldplayers who don't like their newer sounds forget / do not know that they weren't that great in the first place (there's a reason I often joke that they are the greatest covers band /session musicians- it's because they are not the most original but they strive hard to achieve a sound), or maybe they identify with the wrong things that make Coldplay unique... The point is, those bits aren't that special/ unique anyway.

Perhaps they weren't the most original band back when they first started but I remember listening to them and thinking "this sounds different and interesting". The songs were multi faceted and had interesting key changes and melodies. I listen now and it's so formulaic, every song is almost cut and paste modern Coldplay, poppy production, woahs and a MOR melody. It's just (for the most part) boring, lazy music. Chris has to strip back and find his great, great talent as a songwriter again as he's seems to be distracted by taking influences from modern day pop which are hitting his songwriting.