November 13, 201510 yr http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/11/chris-martin-interview-coldplay-yellow-head-full-of-dreams For all you Oldplayers! A great personal interview with the band from 2001, recently re-published.
November 13, 201510 yr http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...full-of-dreams For all you Oldplayers! A great personal interview with the band from 2001, recently re-published. Great read. Knew the story from the Martin Roach biography but enjoyed the article nonetheless :)
November 13, 201510 yr So. This is my first post here. And like you all Im someone that rather listen to Low much more than paradise or DLBYH --', and I just want to say that there is this day that I was talking with a friend of mine, and we came to a conclusion that this all pop simpler vibe from cold it is just a phase. It doens't mean that coldplay will never make songs like amsterdam or low again. But why I think that? Its cos if you check some of their influences such as radiohead or u2, you can see in their discografy that they have like two albums that are more like brothers and with some electronic influences on it. But then later they still doing something new but not thaat electronic. U2 is the same case, with the album "pop" and "zooropa". its just that we are living this moment right now and not seeing in a wikipedia or something, we are here now living this pop phase from cold. But one thing that we all know, Chirs has a lot of influences, so the band will never going to do the same thing everytime. Its just a matter of time, but some part of me really tells me that AHFOD will be a lot better than MX
November 13, 201510 yr I was listen to viva album. Yes/chinese... man... this album its so hard to beat.. I doubt a lot that cold will beat this album with AHFOD, its gonna take time to find this perfect balance that was viva la vida or death....
November 13, 201510 yr I'm really open-minded and I listen to all kinds of music... but, like I said weeks ago, it looks like Coldplay lost something at a certain time of their career. Even worse, in my opinion they're trying to hide this thing with extremely mellow lyrics, melodies and effects. Maybe they just want to satisfy a wider number of fans, or they've changed and that's right, every band should improve by trying new sounds: they're just doing it in a bad way.
November 14, 201510 yr Something that never even occured to me until you guys brought it up; I remember back in the AROBTTH days the band were really giving it their all to raise awareness for Make Trade Fair. It got its own page in the linear notes, there was a large chunk of the Live 2003 doco devoted to it, Chris texta'd the logo onto his hand and X&Y even had the logo on the cover! Since then they seem to have really eased up on the whole social awareness thing. They still do it, but to a much less in-your-face extent than they used to. To be honest I don't really mind that, but it's a defining difference between Oldplay and Newplay.
November 14, 201510 yr I can't believe it had been 8 and 1/2 years since the last time they played Sparks. I think I prefer the new version with no drums and more piano, but this 2001 version is still solid. [video=youtube;8vi8GsW5m3o]
November 14, 201510 yr ^ I really love that song... It's one of my favs from Parachutes. There's a quiet calming list from that album - Don't Panic, Shiver (if you want to change it up), Sparks, Trouble, +/- Parachutes, +/- High Speed, We Never Change... So moody, so melancholic, so much ambience, and such a nice, warm, lovely hug from the band *sigh*
November 14, 201510 yr Last night performance was very soothing. But they wanna make people dance... :(
November 17, 201510 yr Chris and Jonny at 4:14 What happened to this band? [video=youtube;w6YF_rYfmG0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6YF_rYfmG0
November 17, 201510 yr ^ I really love that song... It's one of my favs from Parachutes. There's a quiet calming list from that album - Don't Panic, Shiver (if you want to change it up), Sparks, Trouble, +/- Parachutes, +/- High Speed, We Never Change... So moody, so melancholic, so much ambience, and such a nice, warm, lovely hug from the band *sigh* Here's another treat for you ;) [video=youtube;tQw2EmFnXqc]
November 17, 201510 yr Chris and Jonny at 4:14 What happened to this band? [video=youtube;w6YF_rYfmG0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6YF_rYfmG0 That was one of my favourite performances for many years, particularly the 4:14 part (way back when they were just starting to get the hang of rocking out)!!! :wacky:
November 17, 201510 yr Here's another treat for you ;) [video=youtube;tQw2EmFnXqc] That is actually my definitive version of the song... it just about fits into the Parachutes album, whereas the other version comes from their earlier sound (the Ode, jangly era)... This is the version I love and adore :D I used to include it as part of my playlist for Parachutes - it's such a beautiful song!
November 17, 201510 yr That was one of my favourite performances for many years, particularly the 4:14 part (way back when they were just starting to get the hang of rocking out)!!! :wacky: Yes that part is so good omg. That sound just... carries you to places!
November 21, 201510 yr Imho, Oldplay part finish with Christmas Lights and Newplay starts with ETIAW Is it bad that I hadn't heard Christmas Lights until now? It's amazing though. It honestly feels so nostalgic to listen to it, even though I've only heard it for the first time now. RIP Oldplay );
November 21, 201510 yr Author Is it bad that I hadn't heard Christmas Lights until now? It's amazing though. It honestly feels so nostalgic to listen to it, even though I've only heard it for the first time now. RIP Oldplay ); Welcome to the forum and the Oldplaying thread ! Feel free to browse around - there could be a lot of obscure Oldplay songs you haven't heard yet :)
November 21, 201510 yr ^^ IF YOU HAVEN'T YET, go listen to all the old b-sides (Animals, Murder, Gravity etc.) plus How You See the World (1 and 2), Moses, and the Viva demos. They are :dazzled: I'm definitely going to forget some, but: 1.36 A Ghost A Spell A Rebel Yell A View From the Top Animals Bloodless Revolution Bigger, Stronger Brothers & Sisters Brothers & Sisters (Alternate Version) Careful Where You Stand Crests of Waves Death Will Never Conquer Don Quixote Don't Panic (Blue Room EP) Easy to Please First Steps For You Gravity Harmless Help Is 'Round the Corner How You See the World (1 and 2) I Bloom Blaum I Ran Away Idiot Lhuna Moses Moving to Mars Murder No More Keeping My Feet on the Ground One I Love Only Superstition Pour Me See You Soon Sleeping Sun Such A Rush Sweet Marianne The Dubliners The Fall of Man The Goldrush The World Turned Upside Down Things I Don't Understand Wedding Bells . . . what am I forgetting, Coldplayers?
November 21, 201510 yr I don't know if there is a Coldplay song as moving to me on the first listen as Gravity. I literally cried forreal. I don't want sad music per se but all of their recent "sad songs" just don't move me. I.e. Up in Flames, True Love
November 21, 201510 yr While I'm not necessarily and Oldplayer, I feel you guys. I was just listening to Murder the whole way through for the first time, and that song is genius no doubt. But Coldplay isn't 20 now and they've experience a lot of things since they've became a band, which probably has influence their more recent output of music ideas. I think some of us need to remember that. I'd die for another Parachutes, but then again if they made 8 Parachutes to fill they're discography, they'd be like Adele musically (Every song is a gospel-like ballad) and Weezer lyrically(writes about teenage life and sex and things and Rivers is 45).
November 22, 201510 yr What do people make of the new songs played at Tidal? I er... I really don't like them. Taking nothing away from people who do but... ugh. Thankfully that thread reminded me that this masterpiece exists [video=youtube;EmIgnrAt_rA] :heart::heart:
November 22, 201510 yr I don't know if there is a Coldplay song as moving to me on the first listen as Gravity. I literally cried forreal. I don't want sad music per se but all of their recent "sad songs" just don't move me. I.e. Up in Flames, True Love Gravity is the saddest Coldplay song ever. I can't listen to it when I'm happy or else I get depressed.
November 23, 201510 yr Author Gravity is the saddest Coldplay song ever. I can't listen to it when I'm happy or else I get depressed. Harmless and Prospekt's March are also among Coldplay's saddest songs.
Create an account or sign in to comment