✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Perhaps they weren't the most original band back when they first started but I remember listening to them and thinking "this sounds different and interesting". The songs were multi faceted and had interesting key changes and melodies. I listen now and it's so formulaic, every song is almost cut and paste modern Coldplay, poppy production, woahs and a MOR melody. It's just (for the most part) boring, lazy music. Chris has to strip back and find his great, great talent as a songwriter again as he's seems to be distracted by taking influences from modern day pop which are hitting his songwriting.

^ There! That wasn't so difficult to write... I think what some people have issue with in this forum is lack of in-depth discussion like this (ie actually stating reasons why) as opposed to just general bashing of the band (eg they've sold out, it's formulaic pop shit etc) - tell us and explain to us why this is the case... I think everyone can appreciate there are differing opinions and deal with that and accept that, but it is difficult to accept when it is not explained why, whether it is praise or criticism for the band.

P.S. None of this is directed at you in particular Choldplayer, I just liked that you took the time to explain what you find worse in their music now compared to previously and thought your post was a good example of how to convey that view! As for more interesting key changes and melodies - you are probably right... I think now they compensate with richer sounding music, better instrument playing, and more complex layering - each person is now playing more throughout the whole song and everyone tends to have something to do throughout the whole song rather than just be Chris' backing band... I dunno whether it is going to happen, but I think they are still learning how to do this (keep busy throughout the whole song, and adding more parts) while maintaining the quality of their previous output

• Like 1

I've been completely obsessed with I Ran Away ever since I rediscovered it in this thread. And they've never even played it live. Is it because it's a half-demo? I mean the lyrics are a bit unfinished. I'd literally die if they played it on this tour. GOD. :dead:

I know it's not a popular opinion around these parts but I really quite like Ghost Stories, so I'm not one of those "everything Coldplay does now is crap" kind of guys. I wasn't listening to AHFOD to hate it, honestly. I actually wanted to find some nice moments I could add to playlists and the like. Coldplay rarely let me down in that department. But.... :cry:

I'm off to cuddle my copy of Viva. Reminisce over the good times...

*clings to this thread with all their heart*

Lord give me strength, Coldplay is testing me!1! Testing me with ELECTRONIC DRUMS, bad lyrics, and overprodcution to the mAX.

:bigcry::bigcry:

Seriously what is even X Marks The Spot?! It's not a song, it's offending noise! :bigcry:

I know it's not a popular opinion around these parts but I really quite like Ghost Stories, so I'm not one of those "everything Coldplay does now is crap" kind of guys. I wasn't listening to AHFOD to hate it, honestly. I actually wanted to find some nice moments I could add to playlists and the like. Coldplay rarely let me down in that department. But.... :cry:

I'm off to cuddle my copy of Viva. Reminisce over the good times...

So so true man - Im not an 'oldplayer' myself as such too, I enjoy some of the newer output, but deep down it hurts to hear some of these new songs

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread ===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV===

Question for coldplayers who are older than me lol.

What's the deal with the Violet Hill music video on iTunes that's just the band playing in the studio (like Ghost Story)??? I thought there was only two videos, the dancing politicians and the one of the boys in their viva stuff with the magnifying glass etc. Was there a third official video I just missed?

Link to iTunes Violet Hill by Coldplay

https://itun.es/us/PgJrQ

So what are you guys thinking after listening to the bastard-child AHFOD? Was that it with Coldplay or will they one day gloriously return with a radically different LP8?

For me GS at least had some gems like Midnight, O, All Your Friends, and Ghost Story but AHFOD seems to have no extraordinary songs. The title track, Birds, and Up&Up are pretty okay but not even as good as the b-sides to GS. I really try not to be too harsh with them but I can't ignore the feeling that this was the final nail in the coffin. :cry:

will they one day gloriously return with a radically different LP8?

ha, ha, ha, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :laugh3: :lol: :laugh3: :lol: :laugh3: :lol:

They might even do hip-hop! Their new single will be called Coldplay Bling (feat. Macklemore, JAY Z, Lil Wayne & Beyonce)

(tune of Hotline Bling)

you used to listen to our albums

NONONONONONONO

ever since you left the fanbase

you

got a lot of albums for yourself nah

everybody knows and i feel left out

our sales are down and Chris is stressed out

cause ever since you left the fanbase

we

collaborated with 1D

glasses of champagne with beyonce

doing some collabs we've never done before

then comes the Macklemore verse :laugh3:

Agreed. I hope Chris has gotten it out of his system now.

Chris has gone through a lot over the past few years without much of a breather. AHFOD sounds like he's running on empty right now. He needs to stop releasing music for a couple of years, take a long break to properly relax, meditate on life a little, then come back to Coldplay with a fresh head.