✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Listen to AHFOD and then immerse yourself in AROBTTH or X&Y and you will feel the pain :D

I do.

The band I repeatedly played 10 years ago are dead and the songwriter who crafted such amazing, delicate melodies seems to have been taken over by the spirit of Justin Bieber(and gained Justin Biebers songwriting talents at the same time). :-(

• Like 2

Guest kmm1482

You guys. Do you think there's any coming back from this? Or in 20 or so years, will we look back on the entire discography and think "They never once went back from the r'n'b/pop sound"

You guys. Do you think there's any coming back from this? Or in 20 or so years, will we look back on the entire discography and think "They never once went back from the r'n'b/pop sound"

If this album bombs then they might have a rethink. Bands have successfully reinvented themselves in the past, I just hope Coldplay have the ability and insight to realise they're not heading in a good direction.

Nah, we're just tring to exp(l)ain it to our youngest friend @Jaytheblue :P

Loving the nickname :laugh:

I definitely think there is a contrast, but compared to like everything on the radio right now I prefer this. I think it is time though to pay a homage back to their roots after this album.

I won't completely denounce AHFOD though because it isn't BAD per say, not all of their albums are perfect. But I mean once it settles in I'll really give you a solid opinion of it because there's a lot of different emotions that I feel. Without AHFOD I rate the albums

Viva

AROBTTH

Parachutes

MX

X&Y

GS

Guest kmm1482
If this album bombs then they might have a rethink. Bands have successfully reinvented themselves in the past, I just hope Coldplay have the ability and insight to realise they're not heading in a good direction.

I very much agree. I remember Chris talking about how, for Viva, they wanted to get better, not bigger. That's gone completely out the window.

I honestly think they do have the capacity to thrill "Oldplayers" again. They need Ken Nelson back and to go waaaaaay back on the electronics. Use household objects for different sounds (a la For You). And also, maybe songs not about love and breaking up (a la Clocks, Speed of Sound, Twisted Logic)

Guest kmm1482
Loving the nickname :laugh:

I definitely think there is a contrast, but compared to like everything on the radio right now I prefer this. I think it is time though to pay a homage back to their roots after this album.

I won't completely denounce AHFOD though because it isn't BAD per say, not all of their albums are perfect. But I mean once it settles in I'll really give you a solid opinion of it because there's a lot of different emotions that I feel. Without AHFOD I rate the albums

Viva

AROBTTH

Parachutes

MX

X&Y

GS

I *almost* agree with that lineup (I'm an "Oldplayer", guess how I'd reorder it) But yeah, LP8 should be them saying "we've had a long stretch of anthemic, loud, bombastic rock/pop. Let's challenge ourselves again by showing people what Coldplay huge in the first place"

I very much agree. I remember Chris talking about how, for Viva, they wanted to get better, not bigger. That's gone completely out the window.

I honestly think they do have the capacity to thrill "Oldplayers" again. They need Ken Nelson back and to go waaaaaay back on the electronics. Use household objects for different sounds (a la For You). And also, maybe songs not about love and breaking up (a la Clocks, Speed of Sound, Twisted Logic)

Spot on about the "Better not bigger" comment. With this album, it sounds like they're trying to please everyone and be the biggest band by being everything to everyone and ultimately completely losing creativity. The albums also schizophrenic and jumps from one genre to another and it doesn't work. Have a theme and stick to it.

I think they really need to strip back and get rid of terrible production sounds also, the mix is just awful on this album and most of the time it's a mess of nothing sound,no proper guitar, bass and drums just "noise",it almost sounds like a Chris Martin solo album, are the others even in it?

I'd like to see a heavier, almost Politik sound on the next album, strip back,lighter production with almost only the 4 of them and get heavier, grittier and more interesting than the guff we've been served with AHFOD.

• Like 2

I *almost* agree with that lineup (I'm an "Oldplayer", guess how I'd reorder it) But yeah, LP8 should be them saying "we've had a long stretch of anthemic, loud, bombastic rock/pop. Let's challenge ourselves again by showing people what Coldplay huge in the first place"

I totally agree, but I at least won't discredit this album as absolute crap, it's just that Viva and AROBTTH were absolute masterpieces so for me it'll never overtake them, it might overtake MX I'm not really sure, defiantly better than GS and X&Y (that album really never resonated with me it didn't flow well etc)so it could be a solid

4 or 5 on the list. I doubt it would overtake parachutes though. I'm gunna just enjoy this era for what it is, and live my life:)

Spot on about the "Better not bigger" comment. With this album, it sounds like they're trying to please everyone and be the biggest band by being everything to everyone and ultimately completely losing creativity. The albums also schizophrenic and jumps from one genre to another and it doesn't work. Have a theme and stick to it.

I think they really need to strip back and get rid of terrible production sounds also, the mix is just awful on this album and most of the time it's a mess of nothing sound,no proper guitar, bass and drums just "noise",it almost sounds like a Chris Martin solo album, are the others even in it?

I'd like to see a heavier, almost Politik sound on the next album, strip back,lighter production with almost only the 4 of them and get heavier, grittier and more interesting than the guff we've been served with AHFOD.

no. experimentation is good no one theme nonsense

Jumping from HFTW to Fun to AD to XMTS to U&U doesn't flow well on AHFOD it sounds all over the place and schizophrenic. You need some sort of coherent flow for an album to work.

To me it seems coherent... And I'm glad we don't have HFTW repeats it would make the album dull eventually

I agree w/ you completely. Have a theme & stick to it. I love Chris but this album is all about him. (Love your posts btw you always make great points)

• Like 2

I agree w/ you completely. Have a theme & stick to it. I love Chris but this album is all about him. (Love your posts btw you always make great points)

If you look at the albums that have stood up over the years, VLV for example, it very much has a theme and sound to it,it flows amazingly well and sticks to the experimentation for that particular album. Another example would be U2 going from The Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby, two totally different amazing albums but each sticking to their own experimentation and sound.

Bowie also comes to mind, he's the master of reinvention, experimentation and themes, Ziggy Stardust etc. Having all these different genres on AHFOD, R&B, Pop, (almost) Britpop, Soft Rock Ballads all on the one album just sounds like a mush of nothing overall.

• Like 1