✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Haha, that article was a pleasure to read. My favourite part was this:

"Our old pal the windy platitude blows in once more on Kaleidoscope, a musical interlude featuring not merely a sample of Barack Obama singing Amazing Grace, but a booming voice reading out Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī’s The Guest House, a poem popular with the manufacturers of motivational posters featuring soft-focus photos of sunrises and mountains in mist. Everglow, meanwhile, is the kind of nondescript piano ballad that amounts to Coldplay sounding the way that people who hate Coldplay think Coldplay sound."

This review made me chuckle and (apart from the hate) is spot on.

http://www.stereogum.com/1846312/premature-evaluation-coldplay-a-head-full-of-dreams/franchises/premature-evaluation/

"But A Head Full Of Dreams does none of those things, offering all the hammy grandiosity with none of the quiet power. It’s like a parody of a Coldplay album, and its the easiest-to-hate thing they’ve ever recorded."

I was listening to fun and I really realized how pop this album actually is... And it just kinda made me slightly disappointed because that means in a couple of weeks I'll probably get tired of it please someone please please tell me it's just me PLEASE tell me there is some type of alternative not mainstream crap in here. I mean wrong thread to do it but I'm gunna go full panic mode because the songs aren't even bad I just hear pop and my mind is like nope nope nope

^I don't hear pop at all. I hear a lot of r&b. I'd rather it be pop music though as I can't stand r&b music. I'm just in shock that this is Coldplay and that they are happy with this album. It's like they forgot about all their loyal fans and are catering to teens and r&b fans!

Haha, yes ! Worst thread to try looking for this kind of reassurance :P

That being said, I'd say Birds sounds like indie pop.

I know I know, I mean it's not even the issue of the songs being bad to me it's just that my mind has this stereotypical image of pop that is like 'it's a no go'. It's better than GS for me.. But MX was so much rockier in a way and I just I just don't even know anymore

^I don't hear pop at all. I hear a lot of r&b. I'd rather it be pop music though as I can't stand r&b music. I'm just in shock that this is Coldplay and that they are happy with this album. It's like they forgot about all their loyal fans and are catering to teens and r&b fans!

I am not an r&b fan, but I don't even mind that- ITS JUST POP! I don't like pop and it probably isn't even pop really I'm having an existential crisis or something. And FYI I am a teen so oh well I suppose Coldplay is catering to me.

^^Relax. It was just an analogy no need to get offended. And the album doesn't sound like pop at all. It sounds more r&b. I can stand pop more than r&b because at least pop songs are catchy. Most of coldplays new album is not catchy.

It's okay I'm not offended ahahaha at least to me it seems like I could hear Maroon 5 or something in there and I panicked and then I'm listening to Up&Up and I think I'm not as panicky now

• Like 1

Honestly if Coldplay's 'new pop direction' is a little too much, then just forget about maroon 5- I don't even know what the hell the other four members do because their music is literally non existent

I was done w/ Maroon 5 when the first drummer left. He was cute.

I was listening to fun and I really realized how pop this album actually is... And it just kinda made me slightly disappointed because that means in a couple of weeks I'll probably get tired of it please someone please please tell me it's just me PLEASE tell me there is some type of alternative not mainstream crap in here. I mean wrong thread to do it but I'm gunna go full panic mode because the songs aren't even bad I just hear pop and my mind is like nope nope nope

Umm . . . Up&Up and Birds are kind of not pop? Kaleidoscope?

Fun is kind of good pop?

Hate to tell you this, but once the excitement of the new album is over, you'll realise the songs really aren't very good and it's not just the "pop/R&B" sound and poor production you're worrying about.

Go back and listen to all the classic "rock" or indie albums then listen to AHFOD, the songs just aren't there on AHFOD. This is the true Oldplayers pain :-(