✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

neither do Coldplay if you think about it

So where do they go from here? Keep on churning out this saccharine rubbish or completely change direction? Im not sure they've got anything artistically left in them, a split might be the only option. I could see Chris Martin writing this same kind of music on a solo project as he seems to be really into it but as a band do they have anything left? I'm not sure.

^ They may do eventually after a break... Right now, they may have too many competing interests. But in time, they will rediscover their voice again (people need time and space to do that), unless life takes them into a totally different direction away from music.

I'd rather them go on a ten year hiatus and eventually give us Viva 2.0 than them producing insipid rubbish every 2-3 years for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

I revisited this interview from the viva era, & could not help not to notice Chris & Will's answers (or lack of) when asked about the album..How come they were so hesitant to compliment an album that is as great as VLVDAAHF & how now they are SO enthusiastic about AHFOD & openly praising it!! Perhaps insecurity makes a better artist!

They definitely look much more confident & happy now, which is a good thing..but..:(

• Like 1

I revisited this interview from the viva era, & could not help not to notice Chris & Will's answers (or lack of) when asked about the album..How come they were so hesitant to compliment an album that is as great as VLVDAAHF & how now they are SO enthusiastic about AHFOD & openly praising it!! Perhaps insecurity makes a better artist!

They definitely look much more confident & happy now, which is a good thing..but..:(

Agree with you. BTW thanks for sharing the interview, I learned many new things from it - for example that Lost! was the first and 42 the last song to be written for it, and the beginnings of the song VLV !

Just a reminder/in case new people discover this thread:

If you love us, won't you let us know ?

You haven't yet cast your vote for the Coldplaying awards ? Make sure to vote the Oldplaying thread in the category "Best thread of 2015 - Coldplay section" !

Guest howyousawtheworld
No, but by the ghost of "It's OK to hate Newplay/Stargate but there are certain limits, it's only music for God's sake".

Hey if I offended you then my apologies.

Guest howyousawtheworld

I'd say uncertainty, concern and nerves in the artistic world will always push you on. I think if you stop seeing the studio as a challenge to better yourself or/and discovery as opposed to a 'musical jungle gym for all the family' then it's time to stop.

Record company pressure? I doubt Will or Jonny want to dress up like kids TV presenters these days and are probably pressured to do so and talk up this album.

They praise their "not so good" albums to high heaven, but when they make a true masterpiece all they do is talk it down!

No comprende

Guest howyousawtheworld
They praise their "not so good" albums to high heaven, but when they make a true masterpiece all they do is talk it down!

No comprende

But back then they used to compare themselves against the best so they were always going to feel secondary. Now they compare themselves to whatever Rihanna and Justin Bieber are releasing.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Worse, nowadays they actually THINK the likes of Rihanna or Bieber are the best !

'OMG who are you to judge, Coldplay have totally earned the right to judge whoever they think is the best'....

I'd rather them go on a ten year hiatus and eventually give us Viva 2.0 than them producing insipid rubbish every 2-3 years for the foreseeable future.

Aww really? I don't mind them producing something they like once in awhile and sharing it with the fans - it may well help them in the process / journey towards their next masterpiece... Call it groundwork / emotional work they need to put in to get to the next stage. And in the meantime, fans get something new to listen to - obviously not as great as some previous work but still enjoyable nonetheless and something for fans to "look forward to"... And I don't consider that degrading their credibility / output - they obviously find it good enough for themselves. I am that hardcore :P

Worse, nowadays they actually THINK the likes of Rihanna or Bieber are the best !

Ooh, don't know about that... Liking them (and gushing the way Chris does) is a bit different from actually thinking that they make the best music... If CM ever says they are "great", I don't think he means profound, life-changing music, probably more like enjoyable people, great that they are around in the music scene - he's got to say something positive in those interviews ;)

• Like 1

Guest howyousawtheworld

By the way - I know this forum is not as popular as it once was but only 10 people online at the moment? Really? I swear back when I first joined it was regular for closer to 100 or so at your average time. Indicative of Coldplay's decline?

Used to be an amazing community where all sorts was happening. The Lounge, World of Music and Coldplay threads would always be buzzing with activity. Maybe I'm imagining it but it's surprisingly quiet especially just two weeks after a new album release.

Guest howyousawtheworld
It is close to Christmas... I have previously noticed it does quieten down around a week before Christmas - everyone has more things to do :)

Even then, The Lounge and the WoM threads are pretty much dead all the time.

Aww really? I don't mind them producing something they like once in awhile and sharing it with the fans - it may well help them in the process / journey towards their next masterpiece... Call it groundwork / emotional work they need to put in to get to the next stage. And in the meantime, fans get something new to listen to - obviously not as great as some previous work but still enjoyable nonetheless and something for fans to "look forward to"... And I don't consider that degrading their credibility / output - they obviously find it good enough for themselves. I am that hardcore :p

The point we are making is not that we hate it when Coldplay brings on new music, it's just that many of us feel that without a longer hiatus their style is gonna stay the same or similar as it is now. We feel that only a long hiatus would allow for the possibility of them going for an altogether different sound again.