✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Army of One

getithom

^ I think that is a decent comparison! So long as the acoustic version has a new vocal track :) I like the instrumental acoustic PoC but they literally just remixed the original vocal track to soft music and it is very off!

I hope they have a version of Army of One with Chris on Piano, Guy on Mandolin, Jonny on Slide Guitar, Will on acoustic guitar.

I made a Tour version of Army Of One. I tried my best to replicate the new synth vocal sounds at the beginning by using the DIY acapella by ColdplayKB. I also used the fan audio from the concert. Any1 interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to hear it!

I made a Tour version of Army Of One. I tried my best to replicate the new synth vocal sounds at the beginning by using the DIY acapella by ColdplayKB. I also used the fan audio from the concert. Any1 interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too!

• 3 weeks later...
It's so full of happiness. It's sort of a love song that doesn't sound like a love song. Amazing.

Agreed.

It's quite underrated (by most of fans) don't you think? I know this melody repeats itself over and over again but it's so addicting to listen to it and it's full of happiness, just like you said. And in my opinion, this is a song that is really building up towards the end which is also full of guitarriffs. You know what I mean?:)

• Like 1

Thoughts:

I really think this song's final mix is either under produced or overproduced. Why?

So these covers are stripped versions with pianos--and they are AMAZING! The melody is great, the piano makes it far more meaningful and uplifting rather than the thumping drums and uninteresting organ. These covers feel more Coldplay than the actual song.

The live version performed at Buenos Aires is also really awesome because Jonny is allowed to play around with his guitar--and they weren't afraid to add extra synth sounds into the mix. The studio version with this free style guitar jam would be infinitely better.

My last word is this: I really hope we eventually get a Army of One Single that includes alternative mixes or perhaps an acoustic version. I think of all the AHFOD tracks, it would have the best acoustic version--would feel very X&Y.

Yeah! Jonny's guitar on the live version is amazing. I can't tell if those lines are even on the album version at all. Especially during the choruses...there are just so many notes. :)

There are also extra vocal samples being used in the live version. Guy (who I think is manually triggering the bass and vocal samples live) plays a bunch of random Chris-voice noises during the intro and the quiet bit in the middle and it just adds a LOT of character.

• Like 1

Yeah! Jonny's guitar on the live version is amazing. I can't tell if those lines are even on the album version at all. Especially during the choruses...there are just so many notes. :)

There are also extra vocal samples being used in the live version. Guy (who I think is manually triggering the bass and vocal samples live) plays a bunch of random Chris-voice noises during the intro and the quiet bit in the middle and it just adds a LOT of character.

I'll have to check this out!

Guest LiquidSky

what is the background vocals that he is saying? Anybody ever figured it out?

Because I keep singing "going down, going down, going down ohhh I'm going down" only because I've heard a similar tune from his older live version but can't see to remember for which song...

Anyway, months later, I think the this song is the strongest along with Birds and of course AOAL

Wow I just relistened to the album version and have now noticed all the guitar parts from the live version. I guarantee you they are all there. They just very...very...VERY quiet.

everything in the album is so quite compared to the live version :(

I feel like in several instances the album version lead guitar parts are just liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit quieter than they should be. I guess their artistic ear wanted to prioritize other things but................................ (though to correct my earlier statement, Jonny does not play guitar in the intro of Army of One as he does in the live version - cool intro!)

-A couple of the guitar bits in AHFOD, such as the part that matches the vocal part on "a head full of dreams"

-Guitar parts in HFTW

-The guitar parts in Everglow

-Guitar parts in Army of One (especially the chorus)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If Coldplay or PH are reading the forums, this song is massive. Glad I caught it in Nice, but they've put it away live for now which is an absolute shame. This track is amazing and Stargate did a great job with what they did with chris' vocals as it gives it a spin to the Coldplay sound. Beautiful lyrics combined with Jonny's guitar riffs, Will's synth drum beats and the Coldplay ambient sound.

I think because it seems like more people haven't caught on to the song yet, they have relegated it to an outro/intro into Clocks - they need to figure a way out to fit into the set consistently. Fun as well, unless they are waiting to release these two singles down the road - because these two are the next best radio friendly tracks on the album. Up & Up is a great closer, and has a fantastic video, but the radio single edit just doesn't do it justice. I think it's first time they released a closing track as a single, unless I'm mistaken.

Anyway, I love this song & hopefully PH or Coldplay read this and take it to heart. Also, try to play Swallowed in the Sea, Reign of Love, Talk, Miracles in the acoustic set if possible. Always in my Head tonight was fantastic.

• Like 4

I swear to god if they don't play it in Boston... the additions they've made to it texturally with the vocal triggers is incredible!! (READ: I don't want to burn my insta-song request on it - imagine acoustic death and all his friends, yo!)

Regardless: I dont know about you all, but I see them playing Army of One in two different ways..

- The first way is exactly how they do it on the B-Stage, but with Chris on organ. I feel awkward watching him bounce on a confining B-Stage.

- The second way is on the main stage with everyone on their respective instruments, with or without Chris on organ. Then, I envision a moment similar to the Live 2012 camera work/the superbowl cinematic kick-jump where he does a b-stage run on the "Because you reeeeiiiiiiign" bit and the camera does one of those epic flyover zooms. That'd capture one hell of a moment if you ask me.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Went to 1st US show which was good (though think UK/European audiences and the set up is better). Still no Army of One except for the intro into Clocks - such a tease. It sounds so ethereal though. I would pay money for that outro. Also, Kaleidoscope's background instrumental, I think, is what played through the xylobands in Nice. It has jonny's guitar riffs/licks coupled with an ethereal synth sound... so soothing. Also would pay for that. I guess the instrumental sounds through xylobands didn't work out after the Nice show because they didn't have it for the Wembley shows, or even a speaker on the xylobands for the US show.

oh well... but they need to bring the full song to regular setlist, rather than a tease.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to believe the album is eight months old already, but Army of One has slowly been rising as one of my absolute favorites off the album. If it exists, I'd love to hear an extended version because the instrumentation is legitimately solid and the song itself is just too short. Will's drumming is also very stellar. And I love the use of organ!

• Like 3