✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

Honestly, that's the one thing that makes me hesitant whenever people say they should form their own label or go indie. We would never actually get any albums! The guys will fiddle and fiddle until everything is perfect lol. That's definitely not a bad thing, but it could make for some long gaps between releases if that were to ever happen!

My official guess for the EP: reveal of the art/tracklisting around the end of January or beginning of February, then the actual release around the first week of March, or maybe a little earlier. That way people have time to get acquainted with any new songs and sing along at the concerts :D

Yeah, It would take forever to get new releases from them. But let's face it. Quality over quantity. I'd much rather have them try something new every album and be quite adventerous with their music, incorporating exotic and experimental influences and such, even though we may only get an album every 4 or 5 years than a band releasing stuff even poppier than AHFOD every year or so and barely changing their sound between albums.

It takes time to make an album that's legitimately unique, interesting, and exciting. Look at Radiohead. So far post OK Computer, not counting Kid A and Amnesiac because they came from virtually the same point in time, we have releases from 2003, 2007, 2011, and 2016. These four albums are tops when it comes to excitement, innovation, originiality, genuity and true artistry. You can't just snap your fingers and come up with albums like the four I'm talking about. Now take a look at Rihanna's studio album releases, for example:

Music of the Sun: August 12, 2005

A Girl like Me: April 11, 2006 (less than 8 months after her first album!!!)

Good Girl Gone Bad: June 5, 2007 (1 year and less than 2 months)

Rated R: November 23, 2009 (2 years and almost 6 months)

Loud: November 16, 2010 (a little less than a year)

Talk That Talk: November 21, 2011 (a little over a year)

Unapologetic: November 19, 2012 (a little less than a year)

Anti: January 28, 2016 (3 years and a little over 2 months!!!)

Now, you may be wondering why I bolded this last one. It's obvious compared to the others that this took a while to come. But note that on this album, besides Work she wasn't trying to make songs solely for radio. (And to be fair, that "Work" song doesn't sound like a typical radio song. Annoying? Yes. Unoriginal? By no means.) It may not be our style of music but even without listening to any of the other albums my guess is that this album is more adventurous then her previous ones. I've listened to quite a few songs from this album and most of them I kinda liked, but not too too much, but the stars for me were "Never Ending" and "Close To You". Genuine, heartfelt, melancholic beauty with the latter even incorporating a tad bit of ambient influence. If you thought all of Rihanna's songs are solely for radio, these two at least will prove you dead wrong!

Enough about Rihanna. I was just making a comparison. The point is, formulaic pop music is just that, it follows a formula to get it on radio and to get the masses to enjoy it. It doesn't take that much effort, time, or originality. With a bit of knowledge anyone could do it. We all know how the radio sounds, and in recent years all of it's starting to sound pretty similar with typical tricks of the trade being present in almost all of them. (Looking for an exception? "This Town" by Niall Horan. An acoustic, stripped down piece that did get kind of popular. I'm surprised they didn't throw in an electro beat 20 seconds into the song and I'm glad they didn't. It's beautiful the way it is!) However, when it comes to legendary albums like we get from Radiohead, it takes a bit more thinking, to put it very lightly.

• Like 2

Also, don't forget to look at U2. In their early years, they released albums pretty quickly (In my opinion, they were pretty amazing albums) but as time when on (particularly once Pop was released) they started to take time between albums. Especially with their more "recent" albums. Take a look here:

• Like 2

God! The lack of news is making me nuts! :P C'mon Chris, when you announce a record, do follow it up with something concrete. Not fair! :(

Could someone guide me to a good Coldplay playlist? I feel that I should make one myself but (being lazy) when I start picking out songs, I can't leave anything out and end up listening to whole albums. Lol XD

• Like 1

While I would certainly love a Brian Eno collaboration again, I do think some of the decisions made on VLV/MX weren't the greatest either such as:

-Will's vocals are way too quiet in Us Against the World

-The style of the vocals on Major Minus is questionable and polarizing

-The drums at the beginning of Lost! are jarringly too loud

Agreed that Stargate had more of a negative effect on things than Brian Eno or those two albums.....but I just want to note that nobody including Coldplay the band is immune from making some musical decisions we're not happy with.

Could someone guide me to a good Coldplay playlist? I feel that I should make one myself but (being lazy) when I start picking out songs, I can't leave anything out and end up listening to whole albums. Lol XD

Spotify posted a "This is: Coldplay" playlist a couple of weeks ago, which has a good mix of new & old and less "big name" songs. I think you should be able to find it by googling it, I'm pumping it now.

Also I've been something of a lurker here and signed up solely to reply to you, so thanks for giving me the push to join the community haha! :)

• Like 4

Spotify posted a "This is: Coldplay" playlist a couple of weeks ago, which has a good mix of new & old and less "big name" songs. I think you should be able to find it by googling it, I'm pumping it now.

Also I've been something of a lurker here and signed up solely to reply to you, so thanks for giving me the push to join the community haha! :)

Welcome to the house!

• Like 2

Guest diogo_sg

Haha! Welcome to the family :D

Thanks man and welcome to the family! I hope you enjoy participating in the discussions here. And you could also go through the Coldplay games thread. (I find that awesome).

I'll go through the playlist now!

• Like 1

Welcome ljb23! I've done that as well in other things to and even lurked the forums for a few days before I signed up... The thing that pushed me to sign up was the hype of AHFOD because of the India pics so yeah

That's awesome ahah! I'm pumped for the Kaleidoscope EP, I'm so so hopeful that it's a sign they're reinvigorated and want to keep recording new stuff. I'm selfish and want at least one more album! :joy:

• Like 2

Welcome ljb23! I've done that as well in other things to and even lurked the forums for a few days before I signed up... The thing that pushed me to sign up was the hype of AHFOD because of the India pics so yeah

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Coldplaying mobile app

It's OK, I lurked here for like 10 years. :joy: I even signed up for an account after a few years and still lurked. I decided I had to let it out and start participating because I was just so hyped over the AHFOD tour and the shows I went to and I needed more solidarity than I was getting on social networks. But yeah, as any messageboards go I'm a usually serial lurker ... because I get sucked into debates too easily and all that ... glad I broke my own rules for once because it's been fun just letting my inner fangirl fly haha.

^ After awhile you'll get used to Chris saying "this is gonna be our last album" lol.

Haha, I never get used to it even though I know darn well it's just a Chris-ism and it will not actually be their last. This time I'm using it as an excuse to go to more shows. ;)

• Like 2

^ After awhile you'll get used to Chris saying "this is gonna be our last album" lol. There's a good chance we get another one after AHFoD, so no worries there!

Welcome to the family!

Haha I know Chris has a habit of doing this, I'm just hoping he remains consistent with it! Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

• Like 1

^ After awhile you'll get used to Chris saying "this is gonna be our last album" lol. There's a good chance we get another one after AHFoD, so no worries there!

Welcome to the family! :)

Isn't it GREAT to know (or at least be pretty confident) that it's not their last one? If I'm not mistaken, there's already an LP 8 thread floating around somewhere laugh2.gif.43ca7d31c9bb931085c3cfe56b65f786.gif

Lol I think there was even an lp9 thread or something but that got shut down immediately before anyone else even noticed [emoji23]

Welcome to the family! :)

That brings up the question... When is he going to mean it? It's not like they can make music forever... [emoji46][emoji20][emoji45]

• Like 1

Lol I think there was even an lp9 thread or something but that got shut down immediately before anyone else even noticed [emoji23]

That brings up the question... When is he going to mean it? It's not like they can make music forever... [emoji46][emoji20][emoji45]

Yeah :( It will be a sad day for all Coldplayers when that time comes.

That's why I've started believing it, or living as if I do. I've made the mistake in the past of holding back because I think I can't afford it, or for years I was afraid to go to shows (anxiety problems) so I missed a lot. I'm so lucky I have gotten to see a few of their shows in my later years as a fan. One big thing that changed my mindset this tour was that one of my other really special favorites, Keane, broke up unexpectedly at the end of 2013. It honestly still breaks my heart. I wish I'd seen them more; I just assumed they'd always be around. It's not lost on me that it will be even harder for me whenever Coldplay goes ... they've been part of almost every day of my adult life. So I'm going to as many shows as I can now and enjoy every second of however long it lasts. :)

• Like 3

That's why I've started believing it, or living as if I do. I've made the mistake in the past of holding back because I think I can't afford it, or for years I was afraid to go to shows (anxiety problems) so I missed a lot. I'm so lucky I have gotten to see a few of their shows in my later years as a fan. One big thing that changed my mindset this tour was that one of my other really special favorites, Keane, broke up unexpectedly at the end of 2013. It honestly still breaks my heart. I wish I'd seen them more; I just assumed they'd always be around. It's not lost on me that it will be even harder for me whenever Coldplay goes ... they've been part of almost every day of my adult life. So I'm going to as many shows as I can now and enjoy every second of however long it lasts. :)

Oh no, what? Keane broke up? What a shame... I've heard they are really good. Never bothered to check them out though even till now. I should get on it lol. Sorry if I sound ignorant, I know very little about this band!

I'm glad I get to go to one of their concerts in what I assume will be one of the last for this tour. It's been such a big massive tour and it's near the end of the dates they're playing so I assume it'll be one of the last we see from this era. It's a shame I didn't become a fan earlier, I hope Coldplay will be one of those bands that last an extremely long time, and I don't doubt it considering after all these years they still have their original members and conflict has been reduced to zero! I'll honestly be surprised if they do break up any time soon, they don't seem like the type to do so very easily.

LRLArchi, no I did not know that! When was this?

Can't believe I still have a bit more to explore as far as Coldplay songs go...