✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

Rant and 2017 plan below

I just finished reading everyones messages in here and it honestly saddens me to see that the board is not the magical place it used to be. I have been on the forums for a very short amount of time (May 2015) so I don't know what Coldplaying was like before. However, what I can see from reading old threads is that there was a huge amount of active users that were almost like a family. Nowadays there are not many active users and there isn't that excitement that I once got when visiting Coldplaying. There are a few things that caused this:

1. The Viva La Vida and Mylo Xyloto era were heavily teased which brought a bit of excitement and conversation onto the board. For A Head Full of Dreams we only got those posters in the tube. For me that was honestly the most exciting moment of my time on Coldplaying. The LP7 thread was buzzing and the large amounts of traffic on the site were enough to crash the servers (many times a day!). However Coldplay's methods of teasing things have changed in previous years. After AHFOD was released, I stopped visiting the board (even though I owned the site) and focused on social media.

2. Which brings me to my next point: Social media has replaced message boards and forums. When Coldplaying launched it's social media accounts in 2009, they were one of a kind. There had been no successful Coldplay news accounts before that. Coldplaying became bigger and bigger on social media and accounts like Atlas Project, Coldplay Brasil and Coldplayzone joined to make Coldplay's twitter presence even larger. Marc and I attempted to increase our presence even more last year and ended up gaining 110k followers on Facebook within 6 months. Nowadays casual Coldplay fans use Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to communicate whereas hardcore Coldplay fans will visit Coldplaying. That wasn't the case before social media. Coldplaying was simply the only place to go for Coldplay discussions.

3. Some of you are blaming the change in ownership as the problem. Although I never spoke to him more than a few times, Ian was an amazing owner and built the backbone of Coldplaying along with his family and friends. The Coldplaying team was comprised of family members and close friends. Nowadays it is made up of 12 team members who are very close, yet some of us have never even met. I can't fault my team members but only blame myself. Marc was also amazing and had big ideas for Coldplaying. He helped bring many new users to the site, completely changed our social media presence for the better and developed Coldplaying into a well marketed website that was fun for its users. I have only been owner for around a year but I have redesigned the website, brought back the wiki (currently being redesigned but not the biggest priority), I am currently in the process of reuploading all the files from the Coldplay Multimedia section and have also changed the way our team works. I could not have done any of this without the amazing team that put so much effort into this site. Our social media team work so hard on producing quality posts to publish on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. The moderators are always working on the site, there is at least one moderator online at all times!

While Coldplaying's blog and forums only received about three million visitors in 2016, our social media receives double that every week. Coldplaying is not failing, it is only getting bigger and bigger but unfortunately the forums are dying. 2017 is going to be the year that I focus on the forums. Already I have uploaded a huge amount of concerts from the parachutes era in our new multimedia section. In a few months, Coldplaying should have hundreds of Coldplay concerts available to download from fast dedicated servers (no more waiting for mega!). The gallery is also being updated regularly by our social media team, we have spent a lot of money on licenses so we can add even more high quality photos to the gallery. The wiki may become available by the end of the year but no promises! Finally the forums should become a bit more popular. With a bit of work and co-operation, I think that we can work to bring much more users to the forum. Just please keep in mind that I am only 16 and this is the first site I have managed so please be patient :p Now let's get ready for this new EP which should be amazing!

Just please keep in mind that I am only 16

Woah, what??

For someone that age managing such a massive site and stuff you have done an absolutely outstanding job. Keep up the good work man, I have respect for people like you!

(By the way, I'm actually not even that much younger than him, but still I didn't think he was that young... Not like it matters, because in this case it certainly doesn't, [uSER=100956]@Stephen[/uSER] is a very hard working man and I appreciate everything he does for us!)

• Like 4

I shouldn't say I worry I won't like it, but more just waonder how much it will resonate with me. I've honestly never felt like they let me down either. I don't want to clog this thread with my life story, haha, but the first four albums practically felt like they were written for me. From MX on I've genuinely loved almost all of it, but just in a different way (though a lot of GS and a few other things were right in back my wheelhouse). I got a little worried before AHFOD because I kept reading it was ebullient, and I feared I might not relate to it at all ... of course it is ebullient but actually turned out to be in a way I can relate to, and really helped me stay positive this year. It's not so much I think I won't like things, I just wonder where it's going to fall on my scale of liking it. I mean honestly on any album there are songs I love more than others, but with the old ones I just didn't spend so much time thinking about it or anticipating it. Also I think it's fair to say there is a lot more variety of styles in what they're doing now, so there's more to think about in terms of what you're going to get. When X&Y came out, I assumed it was going to sound like Coldplay. When one comes out now, it's like, well, it's going to sound like Coldplay, but which Coldplay?

ah, i love hearing these kinds of stories

i see what you mean now and yeah, that's pretty much how i feel too. it's so interesting that Coldplay seem to change things up a bit with each new album, yet there's always something in every song that is undeniable Coldplay and that is what seems to resonate the most with me overall. :P

• Like 4

it's so interesting that Coldplay seem to change things up a bit with each new album, yet there's always something in every song that is undeniable Coldplay

This is so true and a large part of why I just never fall out of love with them.

(now watch Kaleidescope be like, grindcore or something ... I'd probably still connect to it :laughing:)

• Like 4

Thanks Stephen for your work! I've noticed a similar die-off of the forum and rise in Facebook use for Lostpedia, the site for all things Lost (the TV show). Though the Facebook use is more to connect with old friends on the forum in a more real-life way (some have married, some have met up, etc).

I do believe forums deliver something social media doesn't - permanence of discussion. If we just had a Coldplaying Facebook group or just used the page, everything would be comments on a centrla post. This is ironically LESS social than the forum, where every single post counts equally (and is easy to search!). The viewing format allows for long-form posts, but without the writer and readers dynamic of a blog. This therefore allows much more in-depth discussions about things like, say, whether our forum is dying. :lol:

The fact that Coldplaying has achieved it all and continues to fight on is a testament to our strength as fans! We have a great forum, wiki, Facebook page, multimedia within the forums...

I'm only sad to say that I'm 5 years older than I was when I joined and real life has kicked in a lot harder, so I can't bring as much energy as I used to myself. :( I imagine others must be feeling the same, and it's been a year since the new album so of course it's a little dustier around. Of course there's also a component of some fans being negative, and I think negativity begets negativity. So we need to be positive! Unless you truly don't feel that way and in that case I apologize that you're not able to enjoy Coldplay the way I still do. :)

• Like 7

Firstly, [uSER=100956]@Stephen[/uSER] ... I can't even tell you how appreciative I am for these forums. I came here in June solely for the vast multimedia section, because I'd just bought tickets to see Coldplay, (which back then was 6 months away still) and I just wanted to familiarise myself with their catalogue, or just their live presence. And to be honest, I'm generally a leech when it comes to media, I'll just download it and go, but with the nature of the band, and the nature of the community in here, I found it difficult to not get involved in the forums. Especially considering that the regular places I frequent in terms of social media aren't that enthused about discussing Coldplay (good or bad) so I like coming here to get that fix of excitement. Thank you for putting the effort in to keep a place like this around!

• Like 4

I do believe forums deliver something social media doesn't - permanence of discussion. If we just had a Coldplaying Facebook group or just used the page, everything would be comments on a centrla post. This is ironically LESS social than the forum, where every single post counts equally (and is easy to search!). The viewing format allows for long-form posts, but without the writer and readers dynamic of a blog. This therefore allows much more in-depth discussions about things like, say, whether our forum is dying. :lol:

I mean, just look at the age of some of the threads that still have active posters! Some of the Lounge threads are 5+ years old and are still on the front page, even if the people who originally posted in them aren't around any more. It's difficult to get something like that on a site like Facebook because by design new posts/discussions will trump old ones--and with no search function you have to do a lot of digging sometimes to even get to those old posts.

• Like 5

Warning: Random rant-Thoughts of a somewhat new Coldplayer. All these posts you've written made me a little sad. I wish I was a Coldplayer back then,when the band was more involved with fans and they made all those videos and posts and when Coldplaying was full of active Coldplayers. I have been a Coldplayer for only a year( I had listened to some of their popular songs on the radio in the past and liked them but back then I was too young and just heard what was on the radio). I wish I was older and/or that I had discovered my love for them earlier. I feel I have missed so many stuff and seeing all those things from the past make me feel nostalgic even though it's not like I was there when those things happened. Makes me wish I had a time machine so I could feel all the excitement and hype before a new album or watch those broadcasts of them performing live and just be a part of it all. Don't get me wrong,I am happy with the way things are now too. It's just that I wish I had been here for the whole ride and now they guys have got older so you never know when they are going to decide to stop making music. Although I think they love music a lot and it would be hard for them to stop making songs. I also fear that I will never get the experience of watching them perform live. I really hope that I will get the chance to see them,it would be a dream come true. I never thought a band would make me feel this way.I feel really connected to them and their songs just speak to my heart.There isn't a song of theirs that I don't like,I guess I am easy to please too :p It feels like they are a friend who is always there for me when I am sad but also when I am happy. I wasn't here to see the way the old Coldplaying community was,but I have to say I really like how Coldplaying is now,I can express my thoughts to people who understand me and everyone here is nice and loves Coldplay as much as I do. This was really out of topic,I am sorry,I am feeling a little blue today,I guess I will go and listen to Coldplay to calm me down.

On topic: I can't wait for the new EP and I am so excited because it will be the first time I will be here for a Coldplay release and I can't wait for new Coldplay songs :)

• Like 7

I mean, just look at the age of some of the threads that still have active posters! Some of the Lounge threads are 5+ years old and are still on the front page, even if the people who originally posted in them aren't around any more. It's difficult to get something like that on a site like Facebook because by design new posts/discussions will trump old ones--and with no search function you have to do a lot of digging sometimes to even get to those old posts.

For me those "social" websites are too volatile.

When I'm not checking Twitter for 1 day I'm already lost between all those tweets. [emoji4]

And I'm only following 48 accounts.

On the forum you immediately see where you have "left off" and just have to pick up.

So that is a huge advantage for me.

And I have the feeling that I at least "know" the people over here.

Or maybe I'm not social enough on the social sites, that can also be the case. [emoji1]

About the Kaleidoscope EP, I had made a rule for myself not to come in this thread. I guess I'm in trouble now. [emoji4]

• Like 7

Rant and 2017 plan below

I just finished reading everyones messages in here and it honestly saddens me to see that the board is not the magical place it used to be. I have been on the forums for a very short amount of time (May 2015) so I don't know what Coldplaying was like before. However, what I can see from reading old threads is that there was a huge amount of active users that were almost like a family. Nowadays there are not many active users and there isn't that excitement that I once got when visiting Coldplaying. There are a few things that caused this:

1. The Viva La Vida and Mylo Xyloto era were heavily teased which brought a bit of excitement and conversation onto the board. For A Head Full of Dreams we only got those posters in the tube. For me that was honestly the most exciting moment of my time on Coldplaying. The LP7 thread was buzzing and the large amounts of traffic on the site were enough to crash the servers (many times a day!). However Coldplay's methods of teasing things have changed in previous years. After AHFOD was released, I stopped visiting the board (even though I owned the site) and focused on social media.

2. Which brings me to my next point: Social media has replaced message boards and forums. When Coldplaying launched it's social media accounts in 2009, they were one of a kind. There had been no successful Coldplay news accounts before that. Coldplaying became bigger and bigger on social media and accounts like Atlas Project, Coldplay Brasil and Coldplayzone joined to make Coldplay's twitter presence even larger. Marc and I attempted to increase our presence even more last year and ended up gaining 110k followers on Facebook within 6 months. Nowadays casual Coldplay fans use Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to communicate whereas hardcore Coldplay fans will visit Coldplaying. That wasn't the case before social media. Coldplaying was simply the only place to go for Coldplay discussions.

3. Some of you are blaming the change in ownership as the problem. Although I never spoke to him more than a few times, Ian was an amazing owner and built the backbone of Coldplaying along with his family and friends. The Coldplaying team was comprised of family members and close friends. Nowadays it is made up of 12 team members who are very close, yet some of us have never even met. I can't fault my team members but only blame myself. Marc was also amazing and had big ideas for Coldplaying. He helped bring many new users to the site, completely changed our social media presence for the better and developed Coldplaying into a well marketed website that was fun for its users. I have only been owner for around a year but I have redesigned the website, brought back the wiki (currently being redesigned but not the biggest priority), I am currently in the process of reuploading all the files from the Coldplay Multimedia section and have also changed the way our team works. I could not have done any of this without the amazing team that put so much effort into this site. Our social media team work so hard on producing quality posts to publish on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. The moderators are always working on the site, there is at least one moderator online at all times!

While Coldplaying's blog and forums only received about three million visitors in 2016, our social media receives double that every week. Coldplaying is not failing, it is only getting bigger and bigger but unfortunately the forums are dying. 2017 is going to be the year that I focus on the forums. Already I have uploaded a huge amount of concerts from the parachutes era in our new multimedia section. In a few months, Coldplaying should have hundreds of Coldplay concerts available to download from fast dedicated servers (no more waiting for mega!). The gallery is also being updated regularly by our social media team, we have spent a lot of money on licenses so we can add even more high quality photos to the gallery. The wiki may become available by the end of the year but no promises! Finally the forums should become a bit more popular. With a bit of work and co-operation, I think that we can work to bring much more users to the forum. Just please keep in mind that I am only 16 and this is the first site I have managed so please be patient :p Now let's get ready for this new EP which should be amazing!

giphy.gif

Stephen man, you just gotta keep being amazing (and we just gotta improve a bit tongue3.gif.99af2e187062273d3fd7229228a84b30.gif). Much love :heart:

• Like 3

Warning: Random rant-Thoughts of a somewhat new Coldplayer. All these posts you've written made me a little sad. I wish I was a Coldplayer back then,when the band was more involved with fans and they made all those videos and posts and when Coldplaying was full of active Coldplayers. I have been a Coldplayer for only a year( I had listened to some of their popular songs on the radio in the past and liked them but back then I was too young and just heard what was on the radio). I wish I was older and/or that I had discovered my love for them earlier. I feel I have missed so many stuff and seeing all those things from the past make me feel nostalgic even though it's not like I was there when those things happened. Makes me wish I had a time machine so I could feel all the excitement and hype before a new album or watch those broadcasts of them performing live and just be a part of it all. Don't get me wrong,I am happy with the way things are now too. It's just that I wish I had been here for the whole ride and now they guys have got older so you never know when they are going to decide to stop making music. Although I think they love music a lot and it would be hard for them to stop making songs. I also fear that I will never get the experience of watching them perform live. I really hope that I will get the chance to see them,it would be a dream come true. I never thought a band would make me feel this way.I feel really connected to them and their songs just speak to my heart.There isn't a song of theirs that I don't like,I guess I am easy to please too :p It feels like they are a friend who is always there for me when I am sad but also when I am happy. I wasn't here to see the way the old Coldplaying community was,but I have to say I really like how Coldplaying is now,I can express my thoughts to people who understand me and everyone here is nice and loves Coldplay as much as I do. This was really out of topic,I am sorry,I am feeling a little blue today,I guess I will go and listen to Coldplay to calm me down.

On topic: I can't wait for the new EP and I am so excited because it will be the first time I will be here for a Coldplay release and I can't wait for new Coldplay songs :)

Don't worry, you're not alone. I'm in the same boat as you even though I did get to experience a lot of the hype for AHFOD (joined in early September 2015. I originally wanted to sign up so I could get the HQ version of "A Ghost" because I heard it on Coldplaying's YouTube (not like the version here is much better than the version posted up on YouTube, lol :P) but what really pushed me was the pics coming from India that eventually turned out to be our first looks at what would be HFTW's video. I wanted to get involved in the discussions I was so excited!!! I posted a lot more back then and read a lot more because this site was more active and more exciting at that time but that's just the nature of it. Still love this place and always will. Glad to see a bit of hype again for the new EP that's coming out. Hoping it'll be good! :)

But I wish I was around during at least the MX era. I knew Viva la Vida before that era was even a thing but I was too young to go and dig through their discography and become a fan that could chat on forums like these and have good discussions. Would have absolutely loved the MX concerts. At least I know I'm going to a Coldplay concert in late September this year... can't wait! :)

Hopefully your dream comes true! :)

For me those "social" websites are too volatile.

When I'm not checking Twitter for 1 day I'm already lost between all those tweets. [emoji4]

And I'm only following 48 accounts.

On the forum you immediately see where you have "left off" and just have to pick up.

So that is a huge advantage for me.

And I have the feeling that I at least "know" the people over here.

Or maybe I'm not social enough on the social sites, that can also be the case. [emoji1]

About the Kaleidoscope EP, I had made a rule for myself not to come in this thread. I guess I'm in trouble now. [emoji4]

I feel the same way. The forums are just a lot more organized and you can find everything quicker, and I think it also encourages more thoughtful and in depth discussion when you have to sign up for it seperately from social media. It simply attracts that kind of discussion better, and with the format of social media it encourages more casual discussion, and is impossible to have any sort of real organization when it comes to content, at least not in the way that's present on the forums. There's just so much it offers that social media doesn't, as convinent as it can be. I see it as a tool to reach out to more people since that's what a lot of us use nowadays.

Hopefully this forum lives on for a long while! :)

[uSER=100956]@Stephen[/uSER], you're welcome. You deserve the praise! :)

• Like 4

this hurt my heart to read :sob::sob: don't worry about me, i'll just be over here having watched that interview too many times and getting emotional about the thought of Chris getting emotional

Sorry...

Here, lemme get you some tissues

giphy.gif

On a related note...

[MEDIA=twitter]816454948284088320[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaypolls/status/816454948284088320

• Like 7

Rant and 2017 plan below

Thanks for all your hard work! I'm only new on the forum but it seems like you & the rest of your team have been and continue to do a fantastic job :)

• Like 1

I have something for you to think about!

When I was in Wembley I took this picture of Chris:

1484150398118.thumb.jpg.ef58b1c7e21799d53b9c41dab530f75e.jpg

Now when you have a closer look on his pants (and I have turned the picture):

1484150448212.jpg.a8a2aec9a53017fb2d9a4eb3366f9f46.jpg

Could these lyrics belong to a song that is on the Kaleidoscope EP? [emoji2]

• Like 12

[ATTACH=full]6624[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]6625[/ATTACH]

Hmmm interesting. Good find! :D

And there is something on his t-shirt. Are these lyrics from AHFOD?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1

Oooh I hope so, though we know the guys are notorious for giving us lyrics that don't actually end up being released :P E.g. the lyrics on the cover of MX