✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

Using that kind of ideology means that great songs such as Clocks, Fix You, and Viva La Vida arent good Coldplay even though in my opinion, they are.

That's why I thought that it was strange. I think the way that you worded it was a bit confusing, but I understand what you mean now.

No I meant if we got a much shorter one instead of PM style and length. Although, as I said, that sounds extremely greedy. But as I think about it now, while PM style and length would be nice, I'd actually like to see them change it up a bit and maybe give us something that's different. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, though.

Yeah that interview was from the 6th of August, I still remember listening to it then. How the time flies, we're even gonna be reminiscing over right now in a few years, just as we do over years ago and other eras. AHHH I wish I could've experienced the MX era...

Noooop. Let's not be hipsters and pretend that music is only good when it's not successful. Coldplays music is practically synonymous with radio-friendly and I certainly regard many of the bands radio-hits as good Coldplay. Especially MX, imo, since many people jump at the chance of bagging out MX and that era. While I'm not saying that all of their music is good and that all of their popular hits are good (looking your way, HFTW) Coldplay, and especially good Coldplay, while not necessarily being specifically made by the band to be hits, is destined for the radio.

When does he hint at Global Citizen India? I cbf to listen to it now lol.

Ohhhhh I see. Yeah, it does sound quite greedy, and as I said I wasn't expecting or really wanting something like that, but if they do make it that would be even better...

Same!

Huh?!! No it isn't! Unless you happen to be talking about "Hymn For The Weekend" and "Princess of China" exclusively... yes, a lot of their songs would sound good on radio but they're not necessarily made for radio, you know. That's what most of Coldplay's music is. Then they have the few tracks that certainly aren't really "radio-friendly". Now I guess if you're talking about a lot of Coldplay's songs can get on the radio lots, then yeah you could be right, but not all of it. And I certainly like a lot of Coldplay's big radio hits, and I regard those as "good Coldplay". But, if you take a look, there's something called "hidden gems" that don't find their way on radio at all, and those can be even better Coldplay. Hopefully that's what Chris Martin means by "good Coldplay", because if they're going to slap that label onto more of these formulaic predictable pop songs that's not gonna roll with a lot of people, including me a bit. But if he means beauties like "Gravity" or "See You Soon" etc, then I'm excited for the new EP.

Though I would agree about them not focusing on radio-friendly tracks, I feel there's definitely some amount of people-friendlyness that's kept in mind in their composition of songs nowadays. For example, there are so many "Oh ooohs" and all in the AHFOD album simply for the sing-along factor in the concerts. That's not necessarily something new, I mean Viva la Vida had it. But it's just way more conspicuous now is all I'm saying

Yeah, I agree with you here. I mean, if Coldplay were completely focused on making their tracks as radio-friendly as possible we wouldn't have the pure richness and emotion in songs that we do now. There'd be obvious autotune over everything, big dance beats, overproduction galore, etc. and that's not AHFOD, take a look at actual Top 40 hits nowadays, that's what Coldplay would sound like if they were completely focused on making radio hits. I feel that even with this new album they make music that's straight from the heart and soul, and you can tell this from the emotion that's in the tracks. No doubt now they do probably make it with a certain degree of radio friendliness in mind, but these new songs are far more genuine sounding than a lot of massive hits nowadays. I mean, if you look at the things usually described in massive pop songs like having tons of girls, getting tons of money, being famous... just all of these things, Coldplay really doesn't do that, and they make much more genuine music coming from a more genuine source than a desire to make money. So yeah.

• Like 1

^here's the video:

This one? [MEDIA=twitter]767161418214961152[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/767161418214961152

:)

It sounds really cool. Much darker, and it somewhat reminds me of Cemeteries of London and No More Keeping My Feet On The Ground. I am really excited if this is the way they're going next.

• Like 1

Huh?!! No it isn't! Unless you happen to be talking about "Hymn For The Weekend" and "Princess of China" exclusively... yes, a lot of their songs would sound good on radio but they're not necessarily made for radio, you know. That's what most of Coldplay's music is. Then they have the few tracks that certainly aren't really "radio-friendly". Now I guess if you're talking about a lot of Coldplay's songs can get on the radio lots, then yeah you could be right, but not all of it. And I certainly like a lot of Coldplay's big radio hits, and I regard those as "good Coldplay". But, if you take a look, there's something called "hidden gems" that don't find their way on radio at all, and those can be even better Coldplay. Hopefully that's what Chris Martin means by "good Coldplay", because if they're going to slap that label onto more of these formulaic predictable pop songs that's not gonna roll with a lot of people, including me a bit. But if he means beauties like "Gravity" or "See You Soon" etc, then I'm excited for the new EP.

What I meant to say here is that Coldplays music always makes it onto the radio, and initially I thought that the other person meant that if anything makes it on the radio then it's automatically bad, but I misunderstood. The message was that the band don't necessarily write their music with the radio in mind, which I agree with to an extent. Because lets face it, all musicians will obviously say that they don't write music with the aim of them becoming chart-toppers and radio-hits, and while most of the time the band don't necessarily do that, I think we have to stop pretending and realise that yes, many musicians will do that and the band will have that on their mind from time to time. I don't care if they do that, as long as I like the music that they make. If I don't, then fair enough.

What I meant to say here is that Coldplays music always makes it onto the radio, and initially I thought that the other person meant that if anything makes it on the radio then it's automatically bad, but I misunderstood. The message was that the band don't necessarily write their music with the radio in mind, which I agree with to an extent. Because lets face it, all musicians will obviously say that they don't write music with the aim of them becoming chart-toppers and radio-hits, and while most of the time the band don't necessarily do that, I think we have to stop pretending and realise that yes, many musicians will do that and the band will have that on their mind from time to time. I don't care if they do that, as long as I like the music that they make. If I don't, then fair enough.

Ohhhhh I see, Now you've clarified, I agree with everything. It seems that a few songs they make are definitely made with radio in mind (PoC, HFTW, which I both like, but not as much as some of the other Coldplay songs) and a lot of songs they make sounds like they are straight from the heart and soul but tend to be songs that get massive on the radio (Paradise, Viva, Fix You, etc.) and then most of it obviously doesn't get on radio as with nearly every artist that's the case, and a few are more "weird" and experimental that prob wouldn't get in radio anyway.

And of course, with a lot of artists they will say that they didn't really have the radio in mind or anything, but the truth may be different, and we have to think for ourselves, actually listen to the music and determine for ourselves if that's the case.

I'm the exact same way with liking songs BTW. I don't care if the song is the most formulaic pop song ever with typical top 40 run of the mill tricks like beat drops, autotune and such, if it's a good song I'll like it. More recently, the songs using these "tricks" haven't been so effective for me as they have been in 2012 and before for example. But even if I may not necessarily like a more "artistic" and "unique" and "creative" song as much, I'll admit that while I like the pop song better, I can appreciate over time what the other artist did much more since those are songs that you can listen over and over again and years later found something deep in the mix that didn't sound like it was present before to your ears. Pop songs even after 3 months can be quickly forgotten and become repetitive and boring. Meanwhile songs like "Baba O'Riley" sounded to my ears like it was a song made in the 2000's, before I realized it was actually made all the way back in '71, looooooooooooooong before I was born. Timeless classics! Can't beat em. Too bad songs nowadays aren't as memorable...

(for the record, I typically enjoy more depth and artistry, creativity, and uniqueness in a lot of songs over pop songs anyways :P)

By the way, I just dug up more material to speculate on (although these may really only be random jams, who knows):

[MEDIA=twitter]767151103704195072[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/767151103704195072

[MEDIA=twitter]767152204524449792[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/AHFODTourNews/status/767152204524449792

• Like 8

I don't care if the song is the most formulaic pop song ever with typical top 40 run of the mill tricks like beat drops, autotune and such, if it's a good song I'll like it. More recently, the songs using these "tricks" haven't been so effective for me as they have been in 2012 and before for example. But even if I may not necessarily like a more "artistic" and "unique" and "creative" song as much, I'll admit that while I like the pop song better, I can appreciate over time what the other artist did much more since those are songs that you can listen over and over again and years later found something deep in the mix that didn't sound like it was present before to your ears.

Yup. I think that this applies with AHFOD, but in different ways, in that some songs I just don't like because they seem so insincere, and other I do like even though they're still straight-up pop songs, which I think a lot of people are quick to dismiss straight away simply because they're pop songs. Idrgaf I just like the songs. But my own personal opinion is and has always been that AHFOD is still pretty disappointing, MX did the whole "pop-rock band going in a completely pop/electronic direction" thing way better, and I honestly love MX and those songs so much.

• Like 1

By the way, I just dug up more material to speculate on (although these may really only be random jams, who knows):

Nope, that's definitely a song that has structure. This makes me even more excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Nope, that's definitely a song that has structure. This makes me even more excited!

Yup! This one seems to be more likely to go on the EP. It sounds great but not as good as that jam we heard earlier. (To me atleast)

This feels like something off the AHFoD sessions, but still quite good and raw. If it is overproduced like the others, it may go south.

Let's make it official (lol) "No Stargate Please" #NSP

• Like 4

this is so exciting!!!

by the way, i just remembered that in the soundcheck i recorded there was music that i didn't recognize...

it's pretty faint, but thoughts?

• Like 6

^ that's not ink and it sound beautiful .. in 2:47 they played Ocean

yes, when i recorded i thought i had heard Ink guitar bits in some parts, and right after this they really did play Ink so i figured maybe Jonny was just doing bits before they did the whole thing :P but now i can tell it's not Ink at all in this one. maybe i should go back and change the title

I think that this is definitely not just a jam session... :awesome:

• Like 2

I've been imagining a tracklist the last few days with 6 new songs, 1 new version and 1 mix and it could be like this:

Black Hole (Or "Black Space" or just "Black") - new song

The Imaginarium - new song

Mirror Image/Unreversed Image - new song

Reflections - new song

Infinite Grid - new song

Kaleidoscope+ (featuring Jay-Z)

Colour Spectrum (Osaka Sun mix)

Travelling in the Paranoia (Or just "Paranoia") - new song

• Like 2

I've been imagining a tracklist the last few days with 6 new songs, 1 new version and 1 mix and it could be like this:

Black Hole (Or "Black Space" or just "Black") - new song

The Imaginarium - new song

Mirror Image/Unreversed Image - new song

Reflections - new song

Infinite Grid - new song

Kaleidoscope+ (featuring Jay-Z)

Colour Spectrum (Osaka Sun mix)

Travelling in the Paranoia (Or just "Paranoia") - new song

Sounds more like dream theater to me :p I want them to go this way, but i really feel that such major direction changes would happen post this whole era. Whenever we see them release the next LP (in 2020/21 or whatever), that could be more experimental; when they feel free to pursue whatever music that comes to them.

• Like 1

Sounds more like dream theater to me :p I want them to go this way, but i really feel that such major direction changes would happen post this whole era. Whenever we see them release the next LP (in 2020/21 or whatever), that could be more experimental; when they feel free to pursue whatever music that comes to them.

Sadly, I don't have much hope for the next LP...I mean, just look at the music Chris is listening to and whose style he is embracing. If your idols are Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Beyonce, Drake, Katy Perry etc., in other words everything that is "in" at the moment, instead of what is good, then this will be reflected in the music that you're going to make. I doubt this is going to radically change whithin the next couple of years. I worry that the next album might be full-blown Hip Hop or something.

I also think within the next years Chris might give up the rest of his crooning vocal style entirely in favor of short verses or exclamations, as they are preeminent in songs like AOAL, HFTW or XMTS, actually most of the last album. This tendency also shows in his live performance style, where he tends to shorten words and no longer draw them out as he used to. Music for the next generation whose attention span last about 2 seconds until the next beat. Forgive me for the bitterness of this post, but all of that, to me, is so sad to see.

• Like 7