✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

^ True. But there are some rays of hope. I still like the new Radiohead, Kodaline, etc. I'm sure people here know a lot more.

I dunno really. I am a bit optimistic because they never had such a narrative before. (That this is their last album) To me that signifies the end of their record deal. Then, untethered, they can make music they like. I am sure Chris still appreciates the more 'original' music. Atleast in recent concerts, he is playing Springsteen, Kiss etc and loving the use of the guitar. (His rendition of HFTW on Conan was brilliant.)

So maybe, just maybe in the future we will see something of the vintage Coldplay again. Also another thing that I have realised is that time makes the heart grow fonder. Now when I listen to MX, I focus on the great guitar solos, drum solos, distortion bits it has. I actually enjoy that. Let's wait and see...

• Like 2

T

this is so exciting!!!

by the way, i just remembered that in the soundcheck i recorded there was music that i didn't recognize...

it's pretty faint, but thoughts?

That sounds so beautiful! And there are even lyrics already. I'm getting so many Viva vibes with all these possible 'new' songs! Love it :D

• Like 1

^ True. But there are some rays of hope. I still like the new Radiohead, Kodaline, etc. I'm sure people here know a lot more.

I dunno really. I am a bit optimistic because they never had such a narrative before. (That this is their last album) To me that signifies the end of their record deal. Then, untethered, they can make music they like. I am sure Chris still appreciates the more 'original' music. Atleast in recent concerts, he is playing Springsteen, Kiss etc and loving the use of the guitar. (His rendition of HFTW on Conan was brilliant.)

I mean, Chris has consistently said about every album since X&Y came out :P But I agree about the rest! Coldplay never settles into one album style for long. With the poppiness of the last three albums, we're due for a change

• Like 1

Sorry for the inconvenience everyone, got to do something atm so I don't have time to color code :(

By the way, I just dug up more material to speculate on (although these may really only be random jams, who knows):

[MEDIA=twitter]767151103704195072[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/767151103704195072

[MEDIA=twitter]767152204524449792[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/AHFODTourNews/status/767152204524449792

The second one sounds a lot like the first one. I like these ones as well, they sound really nice, and original... maybe signaling a new direction for Coldplay? Who knows. Hopefully we get to hear these songs, and not overproduced by Stargate at that!

Yup. I think that this applies with AHFOD, but in different ways, in that some songs I just don't like because they seem so insincere, and other I do like even though they're still straight-up pop songs, which I think a lot of people are quick to dismiss straight away simply because they're pop songs. Idrgaf I just like the songs. But my own personal opinion is and has always been that AHFOD is still pretty disappointing, MX did the whole "pop-rock band going in a completely pop/electronic direction" thing way better, and I honestly love MX and those songs so much.

I completely agree with your post. There are a few songs that are weaker on AHFOD too, and I'm not saying that I like all pop music because I certainly don't. Especially with most pop nowadays, it's done much worse overall then pop music from 2012 and before (although I do like "Closer", "This Is What You Came For", and "24K Magic", in really recent song history). Some pop just like you I simply don't like because they do sound extremely cringy, formulaic and typical, just that meh feeling. And even some songs I do like that are kinda like that, I will gladly admit they are by no means artistic in any way. Although, not every song needs that... some songs are simply meant to be catchy and fun. And I like that. Not all of it like that, but some.

With MX again I completely agree with you. Combine MX and GS and you get AHFOD; the upbeatness of MX and the electronic tones of GS make typical pop music. Now of course Coldplay put their own special spin on it so it isn't so "typical" as compared to the rest of the mainstream, but it still sounds way more watered down than MX. As I've said many times before AHFOD just doesn't "explode" as much as MX, and IMO if you're gonna make upbeat music make it truly flow and explode, which many modern day pop songs hold back on, yet songs mainly from that 2011/12 pop era didn't, which is another reason out of many why I liked pop music from back then better. To my ears MX isn't just my favorite album by Coldplay, but my favorite ever. There's not one weak song on it and nearly all of them are very strong. There's only two other albums that have this golden quality, even though they're very melancholic in comparison, and those are "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" by our same band and "How To Save A Life" by The Fray (yes, that's also the name of their debut album). Whether happy or sad they have so much emotion within them and I love it.

I wish Coldplay would play Fun. :(

Same! It's one of the best songs in the album for me.

Nope, that's definitely a song that has structure. This makes me even more excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... hopefully it makes the EP!

this is so exciting!!!

by the way, i just remembered that in the soundcheck i recorded there was music that i didn't recognize...

From what I can hear it's pretty good.

I've been imagining a tracklist the last few days with 6 new songs, 1 new version and 1 mix and it could be like this:

Black Hole (Or "Black Space" or just "Black") - new song

The Imaginarium - new song

Mirror Image/Unreversed Image - new song

Reflections - new song

Infinite Grid - new song

Kaleidoscope+ (featuring Jay-Z)

Colour Spectrum (Osaka Sun mix)

Travelling in the Paranoia (Or just "Paranoia") - new song

As someone said before, these tracks' titles have massive Dream Theater influences, lol. This many songs is probably asking a bit much from the band, but we'll see. That would be incredibly weird and interesting though to see a band like Coldplay start to take on a path like DT have...

Sadly, I don't have much hope for the next LP...I mean, just look at the music Chris is listening to and whose style he is embracing. If your idols are Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Beyonce, Drake, Katy Perry etc., in other words everything that is "in" at the moment, instead of what is good, then this will be reflected in the music that you're going to make. I doubt this is going to radically change whithin the next couple of years. I worry that the next album might be full-blown Hip Hop or something.

I also think within the next years Chris might give up the rest of his crooning vocal style entirely in favor of short verses or exclamations, as they are preeminent in songs like AOAL, HFTW or XMTS, actually most of the last album. This tendency also shows in his live performance style, where he tends to shorten words and no longer draw them out as he used to. Music for the next generation whose attention span last about 2 seconds until the next beat. Forgive me for the bitterness of this post, but all of that, to me, is so sad to see.

Wow, this is a really sad and pessimistic post :( I honestly think and hope that the truth is much brighter than what you've described here, and that more recently with the soundchecks and acoustic version of "Everglow" that things are getting better. Have you heard that Coldplay and Radiohead are rumoured to headline a replacement festival for "T In The Park"? I honestly do think things are looking up, and yes I do realize that his voice has degraded and he shortens words quite a bit, and I agree with that a bit too much, but he's starting to seem to get more serious now. If he and his band are actually going to headline some festival and Radiohead are going to do it too, that in my eyes is a massively exciting sign that they'll return to more genuine music tastes.

Unfortunately though, your post has a decent chance of still becoming true. They are going to change radically most likely once again in their next album and as you said it may definitely not be for the better... I can't imagine a day though where we're going to miss AHFOD because they put out some horrendus hip hop album...

I mean, Chris has consistently said about every album since X&Y came out :P But I agree about the rest! Coldplay never settles into one album style for long. With the poppiness of the last three albums, we're due for a change

True, although MX really ain't that poppy...

But your point still stands. We likely won't see a pop oriented sound for their next one.

• Like 4

Agreed on both ends. To be sure, the band is always due for several big "poppy' singles on every LP, whether we consider that LP to be alternative or otherwise. And I also believe that once you get to a certain level of stardom like Coldplay has, there is no going back--when you're part of the pop scene you are going to emulate those sounds and whats gonna be commercially and universally accepted.

HOWEVER, Coldplay is in a very unique position now. They have very much ingrained themselves in working with Stargate, Beyonce, Avicii, and other big "pop" names. They have played the Superbowl and likely every continent by the end of this tour. They simply can't get any bigger. We know that their contract is about up which means they could go full on Radiohead and do independent releases, not having to worry about having chart-toppers.

So naturally they have to find other avenues to stay relevant, right? Sure, I said this after MX, but now more than ever they have the chance to go back to either go back to more rock-driven music or do something completely different. I personally believe that making something indie-rock or surprisingly non-commercial (folk, ambient, soul/jazz) would woo some older fans back and possibly, just maybe, bring in alternative listeners too.

Of course, as Chris says, they don't have to prove anything to anybody. They could call it quits. But with this EP--you have the guys jamming on the road, using guitars and drumkits, nothing fancy. It reminds me, too, of the Viva era and all previous. Chris says songs are coming in on guitar. I think we are in for a surprisingly alternative treat SANS Stargate production. My final (very hopeful prediction) is that the EP is released in February, it will have six new songs and a couple remixes. Then, in the summer, A Head Full Of Dreams Deluxe will be released, just like Viva Prospekt's addition or Arcade Fire's Reflektor Deluxe.

• Like 5

I stand corrected then :p But what I meant to say was something along Lennyrott's lines. When their record deal is over, they are no more obliged to make radio friendly songs; they can go rogue.

Is their contract with Parlophone expiring soon?

• Like 1

Agreed on both ends. To be sure, the band is always due for several big "poppy' singles on every LP, whether we consider that LP to be alternative or otherwise. And I also believe that once you get to a certain level of stardom like Coldplay has, there is no going back--when you're part of the pop scene you are going to emulate those sounds and whats gonna be commercially and universally accepted.

HOWEVER, Coldplay is in a very unique position now. They have very much ingrained themselves in working with Stargate, Beyonce, Avicii, and other big "pop" names. They have played the Superbowl and likely every continent by the end of this tour. They simply can't get any bigger. We know that their contract is about up which means they could go full on Radiohead and do independent releases, not having to worry about having chart-toppers.

So naturally they have to find other avenues to stay relevant, right? Sure, I said this after MX, but now more than ever they have the chance to go back to either go back to more rock-driven music or do something completely different. I personally believe that making something indie-rock or surprisingly non-commercial (folk, ambient, soul/jazz) would woo some older fans back and possibly, just maybe, bring in alternative listeners too.

Of course, as Chris says, they don't have to prove anything to anybody. They could call it quits. But with this EP--you have the guys jamming on the road, using guitars and drumkits, nothing fancy. It reminds me, too, of the Viva era and all previous. Chris says songs are coming in on guitar. I think we are in for a surprisingly alternative treat SANS Stargate production. My final (very hopeful prediction) is that the EP is released in February, it will have six new songs and a couple remixes. Then, in the summer, A Head Full Of Dreams Deluxe will be released, just like Viva Prospekt's addition or Arcade Fire's Reflektor Deluxe.

I agree with everything. They can't get any bigger and that their contract is about done could mean more diverse future for Coldplay. Im excited. :D

A release date of Friday, April 7th would put this right in time for my birthday on the 9th ;)

Yeah.. but that's way too late for the rest of us hoping for a release in January/February... sorry lol

Is their contract with Parlophone expiring soon?

Yes.

• Like 1

Yes.

It will be after this upcoming album (LP8), correct? I seem to remember the forum having the same conversation about their contract expiring back around the time MX / Ghost Stories came out, but I could be wrong.

Cool. How do we know, though? In fact, do we know about all of the different contracts they've had with Parlophone and how long each of them went for? Obviously the first would've been for an EP and Album (Blue Room and Parachutes) but do we know about all of the other and how many there were?

• Like 1

Cool. How do we know, though? In fact, do we know about all of the different contracts they've had with Parlophone and how long each of them went for? Obviously the first would've been for an EP and Album (Blue Room and Parachutes) but do we know about all of the other and how many there were?

we know for sure that the original contract was for 5 lps. but around 2010, there were rumors about that being extended by 2 more lps. so ahfod basically fulfills the contract. there have been some articles in the last 2-3 years about interest of signing coldplay by other labels after the 7th lp. we'll see. i have a gut feeling that coldplay won't go rogue. they'll stick with a major label. i hope i'm wrong.

• Like 1

Hey guys. I haven't posted anything outside Oldplaying for over a year. I just came to say what I think about the EP. I plead with people who share my preferences to not get their hopes up. The EP will consist of 6 songs with three or four new ones very much resembling the feel and sound of AHFOD. Don't forget these songs were recorded with Stargate during their production phase of the LP. Martin also clearly stated it'll follow the same themes of the main album.

By now I'm not really hoping for anything with Coldplay, but it would be nice to have another "Ghost Story". That song is still the best thing they've done in nearly a decade.

• Like 7

we know for sure that the original contract was for 5 lps. but around 2010, there were rumors about that being extended by 2 more lps. so ahfod basically fulfills the contract. there have been some articles in the last 2-3 years about interest of signing coldplay by other labels after the 7th lp. we'll see. i have a gut feeling that coldplay won't go rogue. they'll stick with a major label. i hope i'm wrong.

Really? Did Parlophone have that much faith in them for 5 full-lengths straight away? Damn. That's pretty cool But do we actually have any proof of them instead of just speculation?

• Like 1

Hey guys. I haven't posted anything outside Oldplaying for over a year. I just came to say what I think about the EP. I plead with people who share my preferences to not get their hopes up. The EP will consist of 6 songs with three or four new ones very much resembling the feel and sound of AHFOD. Don't forget these songs were recorded with Stargate during their production phase of the LP. Martin also clearly stated it'll follow the same themes of the main album.

By now I'm not really hoping for anything with Coldplay, but it would be nice to have another "Ghost Story". That song is still the best thing they've done in nearly a decade.

I hope you're wrong, but I do find it good to be pessimistic sometimes as well since if things don't go your way you wouldn't be as dissapointed as if you were optimistic, and if things do turn out not how you expected you're even more excited. I am naturally that way :P But with the soundchecks and the single version of Everglow this is one of the rare times where I turn the other way.

That being said, you have points with what you're saying about the new songs being built off of the sessions of AHFOD which involved Stargate. But then again, they might have been the thrown away songs because they were too rock focused (they did the same for pop songs too... so who knows... but the evidence we have now suggests that if anything we'll get the more rock based songs if this is the case). And.. um yeah, well it's an EP that follow a major release, of course it's gonna sound similar to the original album at least theme wise, but who knows? They've done something similar to AHFOD in the past (MX) and did it that time a lot better. (I know you won't necessarily agree with that, but oh well). There still will be some variation from the original album and usually the Oldplayers liked the extra content from the last two eras before this one really well. Who's to say there won't be a treat for the Oldplayers this time around? After all, Chris Martin did say that if you like Coldplay, you'll love this. (that could go either way though I guess...)

I hope you're wrong, but I do find it good to be pessimistic sometimes as well since if things don't go your way you wouldn't be as dissapointed as if you were optimistic, and if things do turn out not how you expected you're even more excited. I am naturally that way :P But with the soundchecks and the single version of Everglow this is one of the rare times where I turn the other way.

That being said, you have points with what you're saying about the new songs being built off of the sessions of AHFOD which involved Stargate. But then again, they might have been the thrown away songs because they were too rock focused (they did the same for pop songs too... so who knows... but the evidence we have now suggests that if anything we'll get the more rock based songs if this is the case). And.. um yeah, well it's an EP that follow a major release, of course it's gonna sound similar to the original album at least theme wise, but who knows? They've done something similar to AHFOD in the past (MX) and did it that time a lot better. (I know you won't necessarily agree with that, but oh well). There still will be some variation from the original album and usually the Oldplayers liked the extra content from the last two eras before this one really well. Who's to say there won't be a treat for the Oldplayers this time around? After all, Chris Martin did say that if you like Coldplay, you'll love this. (that could go either way though I guess...)

I have actually been listening to MX these past few days and I still find it a solid album and rank it higher than GS and AHFOD. That album for me was made a lot less favorable because of the horrid production and the inclusion of Princess of China and Paradise. But it was still very much Coldplay doing a rock opera which was totally fine by me.

Back on to Kaleidoscope, I totally understand and applaud your optimism. I do hope you're right but my predictions are based on the fact they're following themes that don't grant them the platform to construct darker or more gritty guitar based songs we associate with older Coldplay. Soundcheck are no evidence of what we can expect on a record coming out 6 months later but I did like what I heard on the super bowl video from August.

this is so exciting!!!

Definitely sounds like something new for the most part except at the end it sounds like Oceans so perhaps it's an alternate version or they don't have lyrics for the song yet so their just singing it to old lyrics sorta

To all those saying Kaleidoscope might be an experimental EP etc., I just wanted to say:

Remember a bit over a year ago, when we had the Album artwork and the AOAL riff ?

Remember how people said, wow, Coldplay is going towards Indian-inspired psychedelia ? How people said this is gonna be Coldplay's "Sergeant Pepper"? And remember how it turned out to be Coldplay's most mainstream pop record if all time ?

Don't expect too much...

• Like 5

To all those saying Kaleidoscope might be an experimental EP etc., I just wanted to say:

Remember a bit over a year ago, when we had the Album artwork and the AOAL riff ?

Remember how people said, wow, Coldplay is going towards Indian-inspired psychedelia ? How people said this is gonna be Coldplay's "Sergeant Pepper"? And remember how it turned out to be Coldplay's most mainstream pop record if all time ?

Lol who tf said that? I mean, I wasn't on Coldplaying back then, but I certainly wasn't thinking of like that. AOAL is primarily a mainstream pop song, don't why anyone would expect anything different.