✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

Lol who tf said that? I mean, I wasn't on Coldplaying back then, but I certainly wasn't thinking of like that. AOAL is primarily a mainstream pop song, don't why anyone would expect anything different.

I wrote, when we only had the album artwork (a moving gif of it, which looked psychedelic enough) and the AOAL riff. Not the whole song. The riff was unveiled as a teaser before the song came out, and from the riff alone it was not apparent what a mainstream dance pop track this would be.

I wrote, when we only had the album artwork (a moving gif of it, which looked psychedelic enough) and the AOAL riff. Not the whole song. The riff was unveiled as a teaser before the song came out, and from the riff alone it was not apparent what a mainstream dance pop track this would be.

Ahhh okay. I see what you mean. I've just tried to find the original teasers of the song, but I can't seem to find the ones that the band posted. All I could find was

. Does anyone know where they could be?

^ I know it was posted to their FB/Twitter and possibly Instagram? You may be able to dig it up there if you go back far enough. I was basically just the first couple of seconds, cutting off right after Will's two drumbeats just before Guy's bass comes in. We all thought it was going to be this super hard Violet Hill-like jam session song just based on that lol

• Like 1

^ I know it was posted to their FB/Twitter and possibly Instagram? You may be able to dig it up there if you go back far enough. I was basically just the first couple of seconds, cutting off right after Will's two drumbeats just before Guy's bass comes in. We all thought it was going to be this super hard Violet Hill-like jam session song just based on that lol

I'll try and find it now. Do you guys that were on this site when it came out recall any particular threads about the song that I could look at?

Lol who tf said that? I mean, I wasn't on Coldplaying back then, but I certainly wasn't thinking of like that. AOAL is primarily a mainstream pop song, don't why anyone would expect anything different.

I think I may have been one of the ones that started that. It was when we only had a gif and a song teaser. The guitar riff and the very strong drums at the end of the teaser proved to be promising, but we got something totally different. But hey, at least we got the indian influences to some degree in the instrumental of Hymn for the Weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn it! I just spent, like, an hour scrolling through the band's FB to get to it. Well, here's a link anyway:

Mobile Link: https://www.facebook.com/coldplay/videos/10156268166655253/

After scrolling through the band's entire FB of over the past year (to the exact day - happy 1st birthday AHFOD!), I just thought it would be nice to post some more things that we can reminisce over.

Mobile Link: https://www.facebook.com/coldplay/videos/10156260301440253/

Mobile Link: https://www.facebook.com/coldplay/videos/10156264018290253/

Mobile Link: https://www.facebook.com/coldplay/videos/10156271222645253/

BTW, for some reason the videos above that Sophia M posted say "Video Unavailable", even though when you click on the link below it works. So I'm just posting the direct URL links of stuff cause Idk how to embed or whatever.

Edit: Idk what happened with the embeds and stuff, but for some reason, some of them did embed and some of them did. And the ones that did all say "Video Unavailable". Eh. Also, : http://myahfod.coldplay.com/

• Like 2

Must agree, at the time of that preview the song and the art made more sense and promised a different world than the one they gave us. And I specifically remember the comment about the album possibly being their Sargent Pepper, cause it got me so hyped up, but it was nothing close to that. So I'm just expecting the EP to sound like an extension of AHFOD not a new direction.. Until the next era.. and I hope they do go in a new direction then, towards a Sg Pepperesc thing. Just want the band to get back into some more experimental stuff, keep the hooks, keep the singles, but don't make every song in an album a semi-single-like song.

• Like 2

Must agree, at the time of that preview the song and the art made more sense and promised a different world than the one they gave us. And I specifically remember the comment about the album possibly being their Sargent Pepper, cause it got me so hyped up, but it was nothing close to that. So I'm just expecting the EP to sound like an extension of AHFOD not a new direction.. Until the next era.. and I hope they do go in a new direction then, towards a Sg Pepperesc thing. Just want the band to get back into some more experimental stuff, keep the hooks, keep the singles, but don't make every song in an album a semi-single-like song.

Here's the problem. Just like before AHFOD came out we were finding tons of potential evidence that AHFOD would bring more than mainstream hits (and still to me it did, but we all know what I mean by that.) Even just the beginning of that song and the artwork got us all really hyped up, especially the ones looking for this band to take a more experimental route... only to get their poppiest release yet. The lead up for this EP is the same thing. But what's not to say it could be different this time around? Sure, I'm going to start to keep my expectations lower, because chances are the same thing will happen, but you never really know...

• Like 1

I remember the excitement and thrill leading up to PM. Everyone was buzzing because of the quality the band showcased with the main album. The forum was properly alive as well back then, but that's a whole other discussion. Of course it all went downhill from then! I'd be amazed if Coldplay can release anything mediocre even!

^ I haven't been on the forums for quite as long as nvdmm, but I remember specifically that there was a real "community" feeling with everyone back when I first joined. Plus, a lot of people that were active on the forums in 2010-2011ish had been a Coldplayer since, like, the X&Y era, so that was cool. I'm still Facebook friends with a couple of Coldplayers who haven't posted on here in years.

Not sure how it is now since I haven't been over there in awhile, but the Lounge section specifically was crazy. Super active all the time. There was one user named Crests that had like 100k+ posts :lol:

I miss it :(

• Like 4

^ I haven't been on the forums for quite as long as nvdmm, but I remember specifically that there was a real "community" feeling with everyone back when I first joined. Plus, a lot of people that were active on the forums in 2010-2011ish had been a Coldplayer since, like, the X&Y era, so that was cool. I'm still Facebook friends with a couple of Coldplayers who haven't posted on here in years.

Not sure how it is now since I haven't been over there in awhile, but the Lounge section specifically was crazy. Super active all the time. There was one user named Crests that had like 100k+ posts :lol:

I miss it :(

Those were the days. Up until late 2013, this place was poppin af. The leadup to MX over the summer of 2011 will forever be one of my favorite memories both online and off. But for those who joined in the past couple of years, the change in tone here has nothing to do with the band itself, but more the change of ownership. The site was offline for a couple of months which of course drove away lots and lots of people. It'd be nice to see this place close to what it once was in the sense of community, but it's also nice just to see the place always active too, you know?

Had this EP been announced in 2012, I bet it'd already be at 100 pages, lol.

• Like 2

Those were the days. Up until late 2013, this place was poppin af. The leadup to MX over the summer of 2011 will forever be one of my favorite memories both online and off. But for those who joined in the past couple of years, the change in tone here has nothing to do with the band itself, but more the change of ownership. The site was offline for a couple of months which of course drove away lots and lots of people. It'd be nice to see this place close to what it once was in the sense of community, but it's also nice just to see the place always active too, you know?

Ohhhhhh seriously... I so wish I was around here and a Coldplay fan during the lead up to MX... I would have been so excited... and unlike quite a few extremely pleased with the result... Too sad to hear the site went offline and lots of fans were lost because of it... Coldplaying is still a massive community but from these posts and others it doesn't seem like it was as big as it used to... Oh well. Things have their peaks. It gotta cool down someday :(

100 pages? *looks at current thread page count*

:eek:

EDIT: Yasssssss!!!!!! The emoji's are back! (They don't look anywhere near as good as the original emojis though.... :()

• Like 1

Aww, this is kinda sad. I really love these kind of places and forums, Coldplaying has been around for basically since the band started. I love reading old posts, comments and everything from years ago, It's just so special to be able to get a look at the band's history over the years, and to see what everything was like back then (even though it wasn't that long ago lol). Especially during X&Y - MX because it seems like it was most active then.

When did the site go down?

• Like 1

Same! Even though I wound up not being a big fan of the album, the forums leading up to its release was one of best times I can remember. We added pages to threads like mad. I remember at one point we were adding 100 pages a day to the Awesome Random Posting Thread in the Lounge, and the MX release thread was over, like 1,000 pages by the time the album finally dropped.

Good times :)

• Like 1

Just curious, in what way was the forum more alive back then ? I wasn't there at the time to witness it...

maybe take all of the regular users here, multiply that by at least ten, take all the posts from the course of a month now and condense that to a day :P

there were just soooo many people from all over and everyone posted so often. someone else mentioned community earlier - i still feel like we have a good community here, we're just not as big and not quite as prolific with the posting anymore :lol:

But for those who joined in the past couple of years, the change in tone here has nothing to do with the band itself, but more the change of ownership. The site was offline for a couple of months which of course drove away lots and lots of people.

that's a good point. i think some people were getting discouraged after MX came out, but once ian left it definitely wasn't the same... i left for a long time too but of course i got sucked back in because i missed having a place to talk with other Coldplayers :P

• Like 1

Thanks for all your explanations !

Yeah, I feel the community is still strong today, but i have seen some old Lounge threads too and it must have been so crowded in here ;)

But if it was ownership, what did Ian do different ? Or was it possibly rather the fact that more people were enthusiastic about the band back then ?

• Like 2

But if it was ownership, what did Ian do different ? Or was it possibly rather the fact that more people were enthusiastic about the band back then ?

Possibly both. I was actually one of those who left the forums for awhile during the lull between MX and GS, so I can't speak much on the ownership change. I do remember more enthusiasm in general before the MX release though. People were really excited about the Christmas Lights video because the band had specifically asked for fans to be in it and there were some people from the forums who got chosen. Up until the release of ETiaW, really the only discontentment was that between the release of Christmas Lights in 2010 and Mayish 2011 we got basically zero news about the new album. Then there was the hype about the Running Man gif, the intro synths, the cryptic letters, summer festival run with the crappy recordings of PoC/HLH/Charlie Brown (lol), etc. that brought everyone back who had left during the no-news lull.

Then ETiaW dropped and that was the beginning of the end :joy:

• Like 3

Thanks for all your explanations !

Yeah, I feel the community is still strong today, but i have seen some old Lounge threads too and it must have been so crowded in here ;)

i don't really know how much of a difference there is technically. maybe it was just that since ian sort of built this place up, when he decided to leave it felt like the end of an era.

then i do think some of it was people becoming less enthusiastic about the band, and anyone who they were friends with on here they were probably friends on Facebook or Twitter (i am friends with so many people who i've actually forgotten that i met on here :P), so there was no reason to stay here just to talk to certain people (even during VLV era there were plenty of people, particularly in the lounge section, who were not here because of the band but because of the other people on the boards :p)

• Like 2

For those of you who want to see what Coldplaying looked like "back in the day", this really cool tool called "The Way Back Machine" gives you snapshots of the website for certain days in the past.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/coldplaying.com

I can't thank you enough, that certainly brought back a lot of memories.

Just curious, in what way was the forum more alive back then ? I wasn't there at the time to witness it...

There's a lot to be discussed but I won't bore you with the details. To add to what our friends said, there was a real sense of community and a lot of people knew each other pretty well. This is before social networking as we know it today so the forums not only provided a platform to talk about the band and share experiences and opinions but also a place to get to know other people and communicate with them outside of the forums. To this day people are still friends even if their shared interest in the band has died. And the lounge was just this huge world of mesmerizing and entertaining lunacy. Frankly I've never experienced anything like it elsewhere on the internet.

As to why we're here today? I can't say for certain. For me Ian along with a few other core members were always the driving force behind the community and as I said we all knew each other well. It wasn't just a username and a profile picture; there were individuals behind it all with fascinating personalities and a long history in the forums. Things changed, life changed, the band changed (beyond recognition) and a huge number of people just moved on.

You sign up for a reason and there comes a day when the time and interest you put into sharing an experience with others just isn't justified anymore. This really happened with Coldplay, and not just on here but among the whole rock alternative crowd who were once into the band. All I can say is it was a gradual process that started after the X&Y tour and it culminated around MX. I myself have no idea why I'm still lurking here even though I now find the band and what they stand for outright distasteful and at times offensive. I guess their output up until VLV is so brilliant that it still draws me in.

I think I shroud stress that Ian's departure was absolutely for personal reasons and not because of the band. This place was huge back then and running and maintaining it was a real full time job that required a great deal from him. Also I'm not entirely sure the website was financially viable. But most importantly he had his life and a child and family and priorities are very clear in this regard. However, I don't think I need to point out if his enthusiasm for the band and hence his desire for continuation deteriorated.

• Like 8

I myself have no idea why I'm still lurking here even though I now find the band and what they stand for outright distasteful and at times offensive.

honest question, i can understand not being a fan of the material the band puts out now. but what about "what they stand for" now is outright distasteful to you? i have not wholeheartedly loved or enjoyed an era since viva, but i remain a huge fan of the band and what they stand for. it's true that they have made some questionable and unexpected decisions of late, like the beats pill in aoal video. but ultimately, they stand for spreading positivity, love, inclusivity and community. in these divisive times, they are a refuge. to me and to numerous other not-big-fans-of-the-recent-material fans, or any type of listener.

• Like 7