🏆 VOTE COLDPLAY AT THE MTV EMA'S 🏆
guy42

Kaleidoscope EP

honest question, i can understand not being a fan of the material the band puts out now. but what about "what they stand for" now is outright distasteful to you? i have not wholeheartedly loved or enjoyed an era since viva, but i remain a huge fan of the band and what they stand for. it's true that they have made some questionable and unexpected decisions of late, like the beats pill in aoal video. but ultimately, they stand for spreading positivity, love, inclusivity and community. in these divisive times, they are a refuge. to me and to numerous other not-big-fans-of-the-recent-material fans, or any type of listener.

Exactly. They dont stand for anything bad, just "love" and "compassion" like they said themselves. And I don't understand what makes them offensive. Music that doesn't match your taste isn't offensive. That isn't a smart mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

honest question, i can understand not being a fan of the material the band puts out now. but what about "what they stand for" now is outright distasteful to you? i have not wholeheartedly loved or enjoyed an era since viva, but i remain a huge fan of the band and what they stand for. it's true that they have made some questionable and unexpected decisions of late, like the beats pill in aoal video. but ultimately, they stand for spreading positivity, love, inclusivity and community. in these divisive times, they are a refuge. to me and to numerous other not-big-fans-of-the-recent-material fans, or any type of listener.

Exactly. They dont stand for anything bad, just "love" and "compassion" like they said themselves. And I don't understand what makes them offensive. Music that doesn't match your taste isn't offensive. That isn't a smart mindset.

• Like 1

From some older comments (in the Oldplaying thread or the LP7 thread, can't recall now anymore) I seem to remember that the apparently uncritical closeness to the likes of Obama and Biden was not well received by @nvdmm - and I agree with that, Coldplay wants to stand for peace and all that but Obama was, contrary to the image he tried to paint of himself (well he came after Bush, so of course he was less violent than Bush, but now that's probably true of most persons in this world), NOT a peaceful president and is the only person to "appear" on a Coldplay album who has the blood of innocent people on his hands (escalated drone war). If you don't believe what I'm saying, please just read it up; it's true, but unfortunately not well-known among people.

But that's off-topic, and I just wanted to say what I thought the reasoning was, but hopefully nvdmm himself will come back and shed more light on it.

• Like 2

Sadly, I don't have much hope for the next LP...I mean, just look at the music Chris is listening to and whose style he is embracing. If your idols are Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Beyonce, Drake, Katy Perry etc., in other words everything that is "in" at the moment, instead of what is good, then this will be reflected in the music that you're going to make. I doubt this is going to radically change whithin the next couple of years. I worry that the next album might be full-blown Hip Hop or something.

I also think within the next years Chris might give up the rest of his crooning vocal style entirely in favor of short verses or exclamations, as they are preeminent in songs like AOAL, HFTW or XMTS, actually most of the last album. This tendency also shows in his live performance style, where he tends to shorten words and no longer draw them out as he used to. Music for the next generation whose attention span last about 2 seconds until the next beat. Forgive me for the bitterness of this post, but all of that, to me, is so sad to see.

I hope you are wrong haha. To be fair Chris just listen everything haha, he said was listen to Dire Straits Romeo and Juliet other day. He was prasing Beyoncé and other pop acts long before the poppier LPs like Viva, MX, GS and AHFOD. He is very open minded about music(for better or for worse). That being said I get your point. But Coldplay is not only Chris(although he writes every song) I have faith in Buck, Champs and Guy.

Enviado de meu MotoG3 usando Tapatalk

• Like 4

Ahhh okay. I see what you mean. I've just tried to find the original teasers of the song, but I can't seem to find the ones that the band posted. All I could find was
. Does anyone know where they could be?

Damn. I love this riff! I think we can all aggree that we were expecting something very different from what AOL really is. But I like AOL very much, one of the strongest songs on the album for me. That song gave me funky vibes and that's a thing I wasnt expecting at all from Coldplay.

• Like 1

Damn. I love this riff! I think we can all aggree that we were expecting something very different from what AOL really is. But I like AOL very much, one of the strongest songs on the album for me. That song gave me funky vibes and that's a thing I wasnt expecting at all from Coldplay.

I honestly don't even remember what I was expecting from that teaser. Which is a little bit sad, especially since this has been the first era that I've experienced in full, but I just remember being basically disappointed in the final result. Recently AOAL has started to appeal to me a lot more, for some reason, but it's still a quite mediocre song. I recently found that it was quite similar to Bruno Mars' new 24K Magic - not sonically, but in that's it's trying to be one of those instantly catchy tunes that appeals to everyone and is attempting to match the success of previous, similar songs - in this case, Uptown Funk, but it falls quite short. With AOAL, it's trying to be another huge, happy, all-inclusive, broadly-appealing typical Coldplay smash, aiming to be in the similar vein of something like Paradise, but it just ends up being another mediocre pop song - it's not catchy enough to be extremely popular, and is just overall not as good as their previous songs of this type.

Well, with all this talk of looking back at the history of Coldplaying, the band, and just all of us fans in general, it'll be pretty cool and special to look back after a few years and remember this time, and be able to say that we were there. With all of the millions of other people, too. Hey there, future me/us lol.

For those of you who want to see what Coldplaying looked like "back in the day", this really cool tool called "The Way Back Machine" gives you snapshots of the website for certain days in the past.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/coldplaying.com

Wow, that looks sweet. The look of the forum itself look quite "aged" compared to now. :P

Too bad that site doesn't allow you to see how busy the forum actually was.... oh how much I would have loved to have been a fan back in that day...

even though I now find the band and what they stand for outright distasteful and at times offensive.

Huh?!!

I can see you not liking their recent music but I don't know how you can say this.. Coldplay has only been getting better with each era in terms of what they actually stand up for, now they're going this Global Citizen stuff and raising awareness about that kind of stuff, while spreading only love and compassion. It couldn't be better.

Anything you have against that?

I recently found that it was quite similar to Bruno Mars' new 24K Magic - not sonically, but in that's it's trying to be one of those instantly catchy tunes that appeals to everyone and is attempting to match the success of previous, similar songs - in this case, Uptown Funk, but it falls quite short.

Hm, I actually like that song but I can still agree with you. 24K Magic is one of those repetitive pop songs that doesn't have any sort of real meaning but is fun and catchy. I actually don't like most songs of that type but this is probably my favorite song that fits within that category, suirprisingly seeing as it was made in 2016, and I find a lot of music across all genres to be better back in the day then now. I actually find Bruno Mars relatively underrated on these forums, he's made quite a few really good songs, and I know he's mainly pop but to me he just does it really well. That being said I don't like this one as much as some of his earlier stuff but still.

Hm, I actually like that song but I can still agree with you. 24K Magic is one of those repetitive pop songs that doesn't have any sort of real meaning but is fun and catchy. I actually don't like most songs of that type but this is probably my favorite song that fits within that category, suirprisingly seeing as it was made in 2016, and I find a lot of music across all genres to be better back in the day then now. I actually find Bruno Mars relatively underrated on these forums, he's made quite a few really good songs, and I know he's mainly pop but to me he just does it really well. That being said I don't like this one as much as some of his earlier stuff but still.

I quite like most of his music, but this recent one isn't as good imo.

I now find the band and what they stand for outright distasteful and at times offensive.

From some older comments (in the Oldplaying thread or the LP7 thread, can't recall now anymore) I seem to remember that the apparently uncritical closeness to the likes of Obama and Biden was not well received by @nvdmm - and I agree with that, Coldplay wants to stand for peace and all that but Obama was, contrary to the image he tried to paint of himself (well he came after Bush, so of course he was less violent than Bush, but now that's probably true of most persons in this world), NOT a peaceful president and is the only person to "appear" on a Coldplay album who has the blood of innocent people on his hands (escalated drone war). If you don't believe what I'm saying, please just read it up; it's true, but unfortunately not well-known among people.

But that's off-topic, and I just wanted to say what I thought the reasoning was, but hopefully nvdmm himself will come back and shed more light on it.

I totally agree about Obama but I have to go with @gai and @LeftrightleftArchi on this. Obama did some very horrible things (like carrying out ten times more drone strikes than Bush's administration before him, for example - I could go on and on). But this stuff isn't common knowledge even for the American people though, so I doubt that Chris would know about it. Mostly everyone (except people who hate him for the wrong reasons, such as birthers) thinks that he is just Mr. Nice President. For people like you two and me though, it's no surprise that the U.S.A. chooses a genocidal sociopath for president every election, but considering that most people are unaware of it, I think it's safe to say that Chris stands for peace whenever he associates himself with what many think of as a "symbol of peace", even though that symbol is actually far from it.

I have faith in Buck, Champs and Guy.

Same. You can say whatever you want about Chris, but in my opinion these three musicians never fail to deliver.

• Like 4

Same. You can say whatever you want about Chris, but in my opinion these three musicians never fail to deliver.

honestly, we feel that way because chris is the mouth piece of the band. the guy who takes most of the praise as well as slings and arrows. we just don't hear the personal views of the other band members. in any way, i believe that generally what the band say and do, both musically and otherwise, are more or less aligned with the majority of the band's thinking. again, it is not just chris, it is a band.

that being said, will seems to be a very sensible man :)

• Like 4

honestly, we feel that way because chris is the mouth piece of the band. the guy who takes most of the praise as well as slings and arrows. we just don't hear the personal views of the other band members. in any way, i believe that generally what the band say and do, both musically and otherwise, are more or less aligned with the majority of the band's thinking. again, it is not just chris, it is a band.

that being said, will seems to be a very sensible man :)

I think I agree with you about the personal views part. They pretty much have to have similar views for the band to function so cohesively for so long. I guess my comment was more about the performance side of things, whereas you might be talking about executive decisions, such as production, collaborations, etc., in which case I agree. And yeah, Will is vital to the checks & balances system within the band :)

For the ones who say that the band improved with every era...

This is what they were....

This is what they are now....

• Like 2

To me, the band became better from the start until the AROBTTH and Era and then declined below what they had started out with...

I totally agree about Obama but I have to go with @gai and @LeftrightleftArchi on this. Obama did some very horrible things (like carrying out ten times more drone strikes than Bush's administration before him, for example - I could go on and on). But this stuff isn't common knowledge even for the American people though, so I doubt that Chris would know about it. Mostly everyone (except people who hate him for the wrong reasons, such as birthers) thinks that he is just Mr. Nice President. For people like you two and me though, it's no surprise that the U.S.A. chooses a genocidal sociopath for president every election, but considering that most people are unaware of it, I think it's safe to say that Chris stands for peace whenever he associates himself with what many think of as a "symbol of peace", even though that symbol is actually far from it.

Ohh I see. Yeah that's very unfortunate, to bad that most people including Chris don't know that... If he knew that he wouldn't be supporting that guy. So many things that most people don't know, the system is so corrupt more then a lot of people think...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Coldplaying mobile app

For the ones who say that the band improved with every era...

This is what they were....

This is what they are now....

Sorry but this isn't the most accurate, picking the worst song from the newest album on purpose to make Coldplay seem worse then they overall actually are isn't a accurate comparison. Unless Coldplay go full blown hip hop XMTS will remain a one time thing. It was something they tried just for fun. Should it have made the album? No. Maybe a B side? I'd be okay with that (oh wait... No one seems to believe in that anymore :() I agree that it isn't the best of songs they've done and it really ruins the flow of the album (to be honest the track list choice is questionable before that even, but putting it before Amazing Day makes zero sense whatsoever) it's one I skip and don't have on my favorites list. But it simply isn't what Coldplay are today. I know it wouldn't make sense to attempt to make fun of the band by comparing the other song with Birds since that is a better choice but I guess the title track represents very well who they actually are now unlike XMTS. Just my opinion here, on your comparison.

I think I agree with you about the personal views part. They pretty much have to have similar views for the band to function so cohesively for so long. I guess my comment was more about the performance side of things, whereas you might be talking about executive decisions, such as production, collaborations, etc., in which case I agree. And yeah, Will is vital to the checks & balances system within the band :)

• Like 3

Sorry but this isn't the most accurate, picking the worst song from the newest album on purpose to make Coldplay seem worse then they overall actually are isn't a accurate comparison. Unless Coldplay go full blown hip hop XMTS will remain a one time thing. It was something they tried just for fun. Should it have made the album? No. Maybe a B side? I'd be okay with that (oh wait... No one seems to believe in that anymore :() I agree that it isn't the best of songs they've done and it really ruins the flow of the album (to be honest the track list choice is questionable before that even, but putting it before Amazing Day makes zero sense whatsoever) it's one I skip and don't have on my favorites list. But it simply isn't what Coldplay are today. I know it wouldn't make sense to attempt to make fun of the band by comparing the other song with Birds since that is a better choice but I guess the title track represents very well who they actually are now unlike XMTS. Just my opinion here, on your comparison.

Before

After

I could continue all day long

• Like 2

My hopes for this EP remain high. :)

I'm surprised about the negativity surrounding the last few albums because I can't help but enjoy and embrace so much of the new material. I could go on for ages about what I like, but I will say some of the negativity is a bit of a turnoff for me. But I'll just spurt out one thing I'm feeling positively about: Up&Up is an AMAZING song (and a single). It is catchy with big anthemic choruses, it has great uplifting lyrics jam-packed with interesting imagery and cultural references, there are TWO excellent guitar solos (the first one possibly being one of the best solos in a Coldplay song besides Hurts Like Heaven), there is also atmospheric guitar by Jonny (which people are always clamouring there should be), and a PERFECT music video.

I'll also throw in a couple possible things that are "offensive" about Coldplay is the music videos to Princess of China and Hymn for the Weekend. I'm not 100% in the boat that they're offensive, but I do think things could've been done a bit more sensitively (eg in POC, not mixing up Asian cultures and using Rihanna, a non-Asian actress; in HFTW - featuring ONLY "primitive" images of India and not any of its interesting modernity and development).

Also, I can understand some of the discomfort with Coldplay/Chris, but like others have said, it's a bit of a narrow judgment to consider Obama solely on the basis of drone strikes. I believe Obama would've been much better if it weren't for a Republican congress shackling him as well as the inheritance of so many horrible problems from the Bush era. The reason there are drone strikes is because 1. Bush and presidents before Bush helped create terrorist movements and 2. Bush started two giant wars and while drone strikes are horrible, there IS a calculation we have to think about in terms of the human life that would be lost from other forms of welfare when there are perceivably threatening people running around. Do I agree with this - NO. Of course I would wish Obama would pursue more diplomatic and peaceful foreign policies. But I do think what has ended up happening is a result of his constraints rather than his evil intents. We've also seen from him, which I believe will make many people's lives better and increase peace in the future:

-Significant expansion of access to healthcare under the Affordable Care Act (not perfect, but BETTER than before).

-Legalization of same-sex marriage

-The Paris climate change deal

-Iran nuclear deal

-Normalization of having a black president. It doesn't fix racism but it's a step in the right direction.

Obama is not perfect but he is trying REALLY hard to fix the horrible problems in America. And if you consider the actual moment of his used in the album - that's him singing after the Charleston shooting, standing with the families of the deceased and the African American community. That's the whole name of what Coldplay does - finding happiness and hope in the darkest of times. In my mind, they captured that perfectly by featuring Obama in this way.

• Like 4

And if you consider the actual moment of his used in the album - that's him singing after the Charleston shooting, standing with the families of the deceased and the African American community. That's the whole name of what Coldplay does - finding happiness and hope in the darkest of times. In my mind, they captured that perfectly by featuring Obama in this way.

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 2

My hopes for this EP remain high. :)

I'm surprised about the negativity surrounding the last few albums because I can't help but enjoy and embrace so much of the new material. I could go on for ages about what I like, but I will say some of the negativity is a bit of a turnoff for me. But I'll just spurt out one thing I'm feeling positively about: Up&Up is an AMAZING song (and a single). It is catchy with big anthemic choruses, it has great uplifting lyrics jam-packed with interesting imagery and cultural references, there are TWO excellent guitar solos (the first one possibly being one of the best solos in a Coldplay song besides Hurts Like Heaven), there is also atmospheric guitar by Jonny (which people are always clamouring there should be), and a PERFECT music video.

I'll also throw in a couple possible things that are "offensive" about Coldplay is the music videos to Princess of China and Hymn for the Weekend. I'm not 100% in the boat that they're offensive, but I do think things could've been done a bit more sensitively (eg in POC, not mixing up Asian cultures and using Rihanna, a non-Asian actress; in HFTW - featuring ONLY "primitive" images of India and not any of its interesting modernity and development).

Also, I can understand some of the discomfort with Coldplay/Chris, but like others have said, it's a bit of a narrow judgment to consider Obama solely on the basis of drone strikes. I believe Obama would've been much better if it weren't for a Republican congress shackling him as well as the inheritance of so many horrible problems from the Bush era. The reason there are drone strikes is because 1. Bush and presidents before Bush helped create terrorist movements and 2. Bush started two giant wars and while drone strikes are horrible, there IS a calculation we have to think about in terms of the human life that would be lost from other forms of welfare when there are perceivably threatening people running around. Do I agree with this - NO. Of course I would wish Obama would pursue more diplomatic and peaceful foreign policies. But I do think what has ended up happening is a result of his constraints rather than his evil intents. We've also seen from him, which I believe will make many people's lives better and increase peace in the future:

-Significant expansion of access to healthcare under the Affordable Care Act (not perfect, but BETTER than before).

-Legalization of same-sex marriage

-The Paris climate change deal

-Iran nuclear deal

-Normalization of having a black president. It doesn't fix racism but it's a step in the right direction.

Obama is not perfect but he is trying REALLY hard to fix the horrible problems in America. And if you consider the actual moment of his used in the album - that's him singing after the Charleston shooting, standing with the families of the deceased and the African American community. That's the whole name of what Coldplay does - finding happiness and hope in the darkest of times. In my mind, they captured that perfectly by featuring Obama in this way.

Hey, thanks for offsetting some of my cynical views of the president :) I said that even knowing that he's operating under many constraints. He's certainly the best one we've had since Reagan at least - it's just that I think we deserve that the current state of foreign affairs was better. And I appreciate your optimism about the coming EP. Just thought your post was a little breath of fresh air, i.e., very logical :)

• Like 1

Before

After

I could continue all day long

This is a much better and more fair comparison, thank you. Your point is much clearer now, even though I like both songs, I'll openly admit one is much more inspired, unique, and artistic then the other...

Up&Up is an AMAZING song (and a single). It is catchy with big anthemic choruses, it has great uplifting lyrics jam-packed with interesting imagery and cultural references, there are TWO excellent guitar solos (the first one possibly being one of the best solos in a Coldplay song besides Hurts Like Heaven), there is also atmospheric guitar by Jonny (which people are always clamouring there should be), and a PERFECT music video.

I agree. Too bad Stargate had to get involved and completely wreck the studio version. It feels like there's too many tracks at some points and not enough in others, and this song seems to want to take off but just doesn't due to it. Easily the worst produced Coldplay song.

The live debut showcases the right version of the song: proper piano, electronic drums where appropriate, and real instruments in the chorus to create an otherworldly epic feel. Perfection. That is what the song should have been and when I listen to this song this is the version. Every time.

• Like 1

I agree. Too bad Stargate had to get involved and completely wreck the studio version. It feels like there's too many tracks at some points and not enough in others, and this song seems to want to take off but just doesn't due to it. Easily the worst produced Coldplay song.

The live debut showcases the right version of the song: proper piano, electronic drums where appropriate, and real instruments in the chorus to create an otherworldly epic feel. Perfection. That is what the song should have been and when I listen to this song this is the version. Every time.

I'm holding on to the minuscule hope that we get a reworked version of Up&Up on the EP :D We just want more piano! And fewer fake drums! And a louder solo at the end!

Also, it's totally not fair to compare Chinese Sleep Chant with any other song produced after Viva. It's just too good :P

• Like 2

Also, it's totally not fair to compare Chinese Sleep Chant with any other song produced after Viva. It's just too good :p

and maybe even the songs before VLVODAAHF tbh :P

• Like 2

I think the opinions here are telling a very interesting story ; )

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to the EP. Not just simply because of new music, but also because I need some more positivity in times like these - times that scare me like never before. The band is one of my anchors of positivity and I turn to them when the world makes me sad.

I'm interested to see whether Kaleidoscope (the song) is continued in any way - musically or in its theme. It was interesting to read the Obama comments here. While I agree with the criticism on some of his political actions when it comes to war, I also predominantly see the inclusion of Amazing Grace in its context of the Charleston shooting. The supposedly "most powerful man in the world" singing in this church to the families of the victims, the community in a voice somewhere between fragile and reassuring, about grace and hopefulness of all things - not hate, even though that is what such a vile attack is making people feel so often. It goes along with the message of the families when they publicly forgave the attacker. What a strong thing to do! I only learned back then that this maybe most known gospel was written by a white captain of a slavery ship who was saved from distress at sea along with his crew by a power he attributed to the grace of God. He later became a supporter of abolitionism. Maybe it makes this even more poignant in the context of the sad events.

It made me cry when I heard Kaleidoscope for the first time. Yeah, I'm sappy like that.

• Like 5