✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

I've heard apparently the clean version of Trouble in Town still has the sample but with everything muted?!!??!! WTH Coldplay. Why not just do it like the live version and remove the sample altogether?

Even though I personally think it enhances it, with all the muted swears it just completely would ruin the song.

Listened to the clean version of Guns on accident too, with the fast speaking that one is quite awkward as well.

-----------

Yes! Everyday Life is gonna get a music video!!!

Where'd you hear this: :eek:

For people who haven't read it yet, they plan to release their unreleased songs at some point in the (long) future!

This is by Jonathan Dean who recently interviewed Coldplay and he shared some bonus quotes that didn't make it in the interview.

Oh yeah I seen that on rebbit, it's worded like it'll only be all the acoustic ballads though that will be released.

I REALLY do hope they pull a Radiohead and just release everything in the future. Even though RH only released from the OKC era, for Coldplay to release every single unreleased song from every single era would be K I L L E R

Church, and am surprised it is so controversial. I will say that I had a bit of flashback of Hozier's Take me to Church when I was listening to it

Funny, because I don't think the 2 sound alike at all. Only similarity being their name.

Now that most of you have heard all of the album let's have fun and make an alternate tracklist

Here's mine:

Sunrise

1. Sunrise

2 Flags

3. Trouble in Town

4. Daddy

5. Arabesque

6. When I Need A Friend

Sunset

1. Guns

2. Eko

3. Old Friends

4. Bani Adam

5. Champion of the World

6. Everyday Life

I took out Church Broken Orphans WOTW and CCC

The album flows better this way

Oh geez..... here I go with my nitpicky playlist flow!

The ONE gripe I have with this album is it doesn't flow too well, and sonically speaking the sides should be switched. I would need much more time to flesh it out, but if I were to make a personal tracklisting for this album it would be:

Sunrise:

Church

Orphans

Arabesque

Bani Adam

Eko

Champion of the World

Note: Last three are edited to flow together, since I know that Bani Adam and COTW already flow into each other, I just figured this was the best flowing way to do it.

Sunset:

Sunrise (or Sunset I guess)

Old Friends

Guns

Trouble in Town

Cry Cry Cry

BrokEn (only here because the title suggests it literally breaks the heartbeat transition from Trouble in Town and Daddy)

Daddy

When I Need a Friend

WOTW/POTP

Everyday Life

Now that being said I think I remember in the Q&A them something saying about they were presenting for some guy in Paris and they had to make a list in like 3 minutes. If that's the list that made it through to the album..... darn I just wish they would have fleshed out the tracklisting if that was the case, it's an often overlooked feature of albums I tend to find which always makes me somewhat uncomfortable because I make playlists all the time and I really make sure they're all spot on with their flow.

Maybe Coldplay did take some more time to think of the tracklisting, but yeah that's just my personal list.

It's far from perfect, I would have included Sunrise in Sunrise but only because on the stream it just fit so freaking well with the exact moment of the sun rising. I personally think Church doesn't fit well after it and Arabesque would be the only choice, but holy fuck how do you follow up that explosive ending?!!!??!? The only way I found was to continue the original key it was in, aka following it up with Bani Adam. But then it can't come as the first song with lyrics, since Bani Adam is supposed to be near the end with COTW closing out the Sunrise side. The only other song I would see half fitting after Arabesque is Orphans, and that's only because I listened to them back to back when they were both released as singles.

I didn't include Flags because I refuse to listen to that song unless I get to listen to it in the best quality possible first. :joy:

And this is why:

If you compare this with the original one, the quality is terrible. Song is more beautiful than this. In this one Chris is so dark. Original is more colorful and joyful.

(BTW @Xyloband_99 can you PM me where you heard the original version? Preferably in high quality if you can find it?)

A few other songs I'd consider for the tracklisting would be Life is Beautiful and Amor Argentina, but I don't have strong enough of an opinion on either of those yet to insert those right now.

I've ripped off the lyric video from YouTube last night. It's in the same audio quality as the album, only with no sample. You can DM me if you want it.

Actually I'm pretty sure YT only supports 192kbps max audio quality. Not bad but it's not the 320 most support.

And it definitely isn't FLAC.

But hey it's better than nothing for the time being!

Coldplay is putting their money where their mouth is and ACTUALLY following through.

I know right? Most bands show this fake care for the environment but Coldplay, besides maybe Radiohead, is the only one I've seen taking practical action to combat this issue instead of just saying empty garbage like most bands.

Now one thing I'd like to bring up is the whole issue of people protesting against oil in plastic boats and from electronic devices which heavily rely on the oil industry. I really don't think that's a valid point to bring up because the most of us who simply don't have the money to spend on more envionmentally friendly solutions, if they even exist, are forced to use the single option that would help us have the loudest voice. For right now we are kind of forced to use these options that maybe are not so environmentally friendly, but how else are we supposed to spread the message to save the planet? Go live in the woods if we REALLY cared about the planet?

No, we need to hold big corporations accountable for the massive amounts of pollution they produce and destruction they cause. the impact of environmentalists is barely a scratch on the surface compared to what they're doing. And if they're forcing us to use their dirty products to spread the word about it, so be it until a better option becomes more widely available. It kind of sucks but that's the way it is. That being said it's the responsibility of any environmentalist I think to be diligent and on guard with these things, and look into spreading the word in a more environmental manner where they can. Completely ignoring the fact that technologies are being worked on to combat this issue is no good either and once again represents just speaking empty garbage like too many do.

Coldplay have far more than enough money to figure SOMETHING out while still profiting from their tour. I know that it might be a challenge to get not only them but all their touring equipment from one landmass to another in an environmentally friendly manner, but this is exactly the sort of change we need to see. If they're demanding an environmentally friendly option like a solar powered ship or a plane or whatever, they will cause these green businesses to start up and deliver to them exactly what they're asking for. And they then will undoubtedly open business to others, and it's a domino effect from there that will ultimately result in an actual change for once. Something just like this might already exist, but if Coldplay becomes the change we all want to see...... that would definitely be something to say that Coldplay had played a part in participating largely in this environmental revolution if they not only inspire others to reduce their emissions, but even cause the creation of something that meets their demands, that would be used for other needs too, that would result in a mass reduction in emissions worldwide...... all because of Coldplay :D

73 on Metacritic! Last time one of their albums had a favorable reception like this was VLVODAAHF (72)

:eek: IT SCORED HIGHER THAN VLV?!!?!

Oh, the source was the paywalled newspaper

"When Chris Martin greets people, he does so with gusto — leaping and bounding across the floor of the Rivoli Ballroom in southeast London like the Tigger of pop. The Coldplay singer introduces himself with a bear hug and a smile. Outside, cold morning rain lashes down, while, inside the gorgeous 1950s landmark, the biggest band in the world is shooting a lavish video for the new song Cry Cry Cry, from their just-released eighth album, Everyday Life.

“We’re good on haze,” says the video’s director, the actress Dakota Johnson, Martin’s girlfriend, who is behind the camera for the first time and controlling the smoke..."

Lmao. Paying for inaccurate information.

Nothing surprises me these days.

You are right. iHeart Radio.

Darn, it's better than nothing but I heard somewhere it was videotaped in full with drone footage included, hopefully we get that sometime soon.

At the very least somebody better record the iHeart Radio broadcast for us all to hear.

When they eventually do decide to tour again, whether that's in 2021 or later, what songs from Everyday Life will they use in the setlist?

Surprised you didn't mention Church.

That ought to be released as a single and I think it would work great in a stadium.

It's not super bright or colorful, but it IS catchy.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I feel bad I missed release day on Coldplaying :( Release day killed me, between the two livestreams and the (unsuccessful) radio contest (7-10am french time so no i did not get to go back to sleep after Sunrise haha)... A busy couple days ahead but I'm so looking forward to catching up on ALL the interviews that were released this week, can't wait to do that next week!

I'll post in every song thread what I think but I'm already in love with Everyday Life. It was love at first listen. An absolute masterpiece our boys have made. I'm not good at ranking, but if I were, it would definitely be quite up the list. I am mindblown by their ability to constantly surprise us and mygod this was no expection. This is an incredibly diverse and radical album. Overwhelmingly beautiful. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

• Like 3

BTW @Xyloband_99 can you PM me where you heard the original version? Preferably in high quality if you can find it?)

A few other songs I'd consider for the tracklisting would be Life is Beautiful and Amor Argentina, but I don't have strong enough of an opinion on either of those yet to insert those right now.

I just used Japan VPN and get access to listen Coldplay's Official version that they shared on Youtube.

Just wanted to say how much I love this era. The outfits, the overall looks, the international inspiration, the languages, the voice memos, the anger, the love, the rawness, the honesty, the inclusion, the instrumentation. It feels like threads from EVERY Coldplay album and era were tied together. I hear bits of my favorite Coldplay feels on every song. They showed so much tact the songwriting, which gives me hope for even more Coldplay in the future.

I get why some people are criticizing the album for being all over the place and maybe having too many genres. But for me the the themes pull it all together. Though this won't be everyone's favorite album, it certainly is going to be a contender and yes, a return to form after a few eras where they lost some of the production that made them great in the first place.

• Like 13

I get why some people are criticizing the album for being all over the place and maybe having too many genres. But for me the the themes pull it all together.

I agree! The theme of empathy is so, so, so strong, you can feel it everywhere on the album, and it genuinely ties the album together pretty well imo.

Also just wanted to butt in quickly to add that the lyrics are Chris' best work in a very long time, probably since VLV (as a collection of songs i mean. MX, GS and AHFOD do have some songs with really great lyrics ofc).

• Like 6

My friend Ryan introduced me to Coldplay back in 2002 -- I've been obsessed and in love ever since. Seen them 3 times Live, am a frequent observer on this forum, and generally listen to Coldplay, old and new, weekly. Ever since Viva La Vida Ryan and I have gotten together in a dim lit room and listened to every album upon its release. On Friday, we did carried out the tradition. After the last track, we both just looked at each other in disbelief and disappointment. Flat out: It's just not a good album. The replay-ability of 90% of the tracks, for me, is zero. The one track that I do LOVE is "CHURCH", and that is because it sounds most like the Coldplay that I know and love. Where is Will on this album? Where are the stadium bangers? Where are the iconic sounds and chill-inducing riffs? I am genuinely at a loss for words over this album. It's easily my least favorite of theirs of all-time, and it's not even close. I can't understand how anyone could feel much different. Ryan and I found ourselves just going back and playing old Coldplay tunes from the last 2 decades for a couple of hours, reminiscing and basking in the Coldplay we know and love.

I will always get excited and look forward to new Coldplay music. But perhaps they have just run out of ideas, which is ok. I think we'll get another album in 2020 with a tour to follow it. I can only hope they find their sound again.

Sorry for the negativity. Just disappointed and needed to vent. If you're enjoying the album, I'm happy for you.

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 2

My friend Ryan introduced me to Coldplay back in 2002 -- I've been obsessed and in love ever since. Seen them 3 times Live, am a frequent observer on this forum, and generally listen to Coldplay, old and new, weekly. Ever since Viva La Vida Ryan and I have gotten together in a dim lit room and listened to every album upon its release. On Friday, we did carried out the tradition. After the last track, we both just looked at each other in disbelief and disappointment. Flat out: It's just not a good album. The replay-ability of 90% of the tracks, for me, is zero. The one track that I do LOVE is "CHURCH", and that is because it sounds most like the Coldplay that I know and love. Where is Will on this album? Where are the stadium bangers? Where are the iconic sounds and chill-inducing riffs? I am genuinely at a loss for words over this album. It's easily my least favorite of theirs of all-time, and it's not even close. I can't understand how anyone could feel much different. Ryan and I found ourselves just going back and playing old Coldplay tunes from the last 2 decades for a couple of hours, reminiscing and basking in the Coldplay we know and love.

I will always get excited and look forward to new Coldplay music. But perhaps they have just run out of ideas, which is ok. I think we'll get another album in 2020 with a tour to follow it. I can only hope they find their sound again.

Sorry for the negativity. Just disappointed and needed to vent. If you're enjoying the album, I'm happy for you.

I think this album has a lot of growth potential. You might feel differently after a few listens or sitting with it for longer. Then again, you might not. Either way, the good news is, we all for sure know we have new Coldplay music to look forward to pretty soon.

• Like 8

I was initially skeptical about the album too, and kept thinking ‘oh my God what have they done’ until I listened to it many times over in the car on the way to work.

Sunrise/Church make for an outstanding opener.

Orphans is super catchy with a great chorus and guitar line.

Èkó is musically beautiful, even though I’m not a huge fan of the lyrics/religions undertone.

Daddy is a classic Coldplay ballad, relatable and emotional if that’s something you’ve been through.

Arabesque is the most interesting song they’ve ever written and something it will take me months to fully get my head around and appreciate each element, it’s beautiful and makes up for everything that was wrong with AHFOD.

When I Need A Friend is the perfect closer to Sunrise, with perfect emotional restraint and relatable lyrics.

Guns is super catchy, I was hesitant about the lyrics at first but it’s really grown on me and I love the guitar and Chris’ lower range on the song.

Cry Cry Cry has a great piano riff and the autotuned vocals in the intro are really interesting.

Old Friends is super emotional with great guitar (read The Sunday Times interview for the back story about Chris’ friend Tony).

Bani Adam is up there with PFFA as one of the most beautiful piano pieces Chris has written, and the crescendo ending when the band comes in is great.

Champion of the World is so uplifting and emotional, really strong lyrically.

Everyday Life is a much better closer than Up&Up, I can see why it’s Will’s favourite song. It really makes you think about the state of the world right now.

And the rest of the songs will grow on me in time I’m sure! I like the intro and ending of Trouble in Town but the sample in the middle kinda ruins the flow of the song for me, even though it’s obviously important to understand the song’s message.

Church, Daddy, Guns and Old Friends are my favorites so far for sure.

Give the album time like I did and you’ll love it, it’s only been out for a weekend so far!

• Like 6

I guess that Flags originally occupied Orphans spot on the album.

But then Orphans was written, so Flags was ditched and it became a bonus track for Japan.

Actually I put 'Flags' (back) into the album's playlist.

Here it is the opening track for the Sunset part, just after the abbey bells.

• Like 2

The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. It's the perfect photography of the actual world, it's like they've been on "sugar planet" for 10 years and then came back to Earth.

It's not only a proper return to form, it's not only artistically relevant and inspired, it's a development and nearly a miracle. It came out of nowhere, in the worst part of their career, when all the faith in them and hope were completely lost.

It's cohesive, mature, self-conscious, mystical, open-minded, and (most of all) universal.

They are the band who made pop music universal again. You can relate to this album in every part of the planet, whatever is your language and your culture. It makes you feel like we have all something to share together and to be part of, in times when we are all scared and separated individuals, like a fish who is swimming upstream when everyone else is letting himself go with the current.

Welcome back guys.

• Like 7

So ... what can i say about this album that hasn't been already said ?

I don't want to think about ranking it or comparing it with other records because the identity of Everyday Life tells you not to do it. Watching Sunrise this morning, alone in my student bedroom, reminded me why i love this band.

This band came to me 8 years ago with the joy of Mylo Xyloto which helped me and still help me to keep smiling in the darkest moments.

The same year, i bought a keyboard to play their songs and from that moment, i began to compose my own songs. Everyday Life reminded me WHY i should thank them : they demystified an art which seemed to complex and inaccessible to me. They allowed me to think that one day, i could compose to. That everybody can. Not because their music is easy ... but because it is beautifully simple. Everything is in chords progression, everything is in how you want to express something and how sincere you are with your art. Coldplay made me understand that and even if their music can be complex too ( Arabesque, Trouble in Town ), it is just an evolution of a simple and pure form of art, the one from The Blue Room EP and from Parachutes. Man, they're so great ...

You could not have said this better!

OK I don't know if it has already been mentioned but now I know why the interlude is cut into pieces. Propably they bet that people would play it while driving on a car and most cars display CD-Text data and if you play it back track by track the screen will flash one by one letter the phrase G O D = L O V E kinda simulating a projection or a video effect.

YOU, yeah you, the person that mastered that disc, you are a f*cking genious, you really outsmarted me! Except the fact that as I said you abused the redbook audio standard, ONCE AGAIN!

• Like 7