✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

44 minutes ago, JustSomeone said:

Curious to see what you guys think!

Either Coldplay no longer cares about being authentic, and put commercial succes above creating original music. Or, they have lost touch with what their fans like (both old and new ones).Β Proof: Β 

1. Higher power does poor on Spotify in streamsΒ given their total monthly listeners, despite a major commercial push.Β 

2. Coldplay claimsΒ to perform live, but in fact vocals of two different 'live' performancesΒ are identical (Brits & Idols).

3. During the britsΒ they posted a picture indicating they were about to get on stage outside the O2, despite the performance being recorded a few days before that.Β 

4. The acoustic version of 'higher power' does not have authentic vocals, but the ones identical to the original.Β 

5. The Higher PowerΒ CD single was promoted as "extremely limited" on Facebook, yet is even for sale in physical stores.

Thoughts?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

It's interesting what you share, and I'm agree with the fact that Coldplay is losing some authenticity during the years, but before to be so critical on that (anyway, I love what they do), it's important to see how producers influences on their releases. And to be poppy isn't the same to don't be authentic.Β 

For Parachutes, A Rush... and X&Y, the "hand" of Ken Nelson is there. I feel that "darkness" and "authenticity" what I love a lot in Coldplay. In live performances, small backings tracks there, but there were them. I remember a concert when Chris said: "Coldplay is better in darkness", from X&Y era.Β 

But then, Brian Eno and Rik Simpson replace Ken Nelson, and we all eventually felt how his music changed, not necessarily for worse!. Viva was a great album in my opinion, but clearly the "darkness" factor was provided by Jon Hopkins (a genius). So, even when is more poppy, Viva still has a little darkness and authenticityΒ there. Until here, if you see live performances, you see authenticity everywhere. Even when the "violins" in Viva La Vida are backing tracks, you feel the live authenticity. The "Coldplay Factor".Β 

But then, Jon Hopkins was removed from the next production, MX, and the poppy started to be more present.

Some exceptions are "UFO" eventually, but it's a fact that the boys found on this "colorful" wayΒ something completely cathartic. And Brian Eno and Rik Simpson in the production. However, even when MX is a poppy production, the boys made the effort to create live performances with authenticity. See, for instance, the same MX (the beginning) when Will plays the Xylophone or the guitar in "Every Teardrop..." (it could be just a tape, but they preferred to make it live. The authenticity remained there, behind the poppy style).Β 

Now... let's see GS. Brian Eno is, now, who is not in the production line, but Hopkins returned, and now with the great Avicii. In some way, the darkness returns, and for my perspective, GS was the last of the darkness times. Eventually was the the message that "authenticity" was in decay, because it was the first time that some songs had piano sounds as backing tracking (A Sky Full Of Stars). GS was a great album, but I think something changed from there.Β 

Because, next, A Head...Β  Β it was just a poppy explosion. Who was there... Rik Simpson, almost alone as Producer. Yes, live performances were quite spectacular, but this time plenty, plenty of backing tracks. Even with "Midnight" played just from tape. Eventually, "God Put A Smile.." was the great exception there because how they played live, reminded how Coldplay started. With no backing tracks. Just them. But again, authenticity in decay.Β 

Let's talk now about EL. EL wasn'tΒ for me a darkness style album. It was almost an acoustic-based production. If you see the production line, are almost only new people, including for the first time Max Martin. Yes, Max entered for EL. And guess what was the only song produced by Martin there. Yes, Orphans. The most poppy song in EL.

From authenticity perspective, EL was a moment. A "Bare Bones" moment, but for live performances, again, the boys didn't complicate things: Chris playbacks on Church, the piano play itself for Broken, etc. EL is a deep album, and I love it, but I think that Orphans, the last song to arrive (as Chris said), generated something from Max Martin for the future: The things are commercial, beyond any authenticity.Β 

Chris Martin has mention that "Max is our producer right now for everything we do". Having said that, and if you see what Martin has produced (which is great from a commercial perspective), for LP9 I really expect only commercial-based things. Nothing with the nostalgic darkness. Nothing eventually hybrid. Is like if Max Martin said: "Show me what you left in MX and A Head.. and let's what can we do now. We need to sell it.".Β 

Don't get me wrong, please, I love Coldplay, since the beginning. But people and time changes. I'm expecting to see next performances with real people there, in order to see what remains there. Eventually, there is still some authenticity.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JustSomeone said:

Curious to see what you guys think!

Either Coldplay no longer cares about being authentic, and put commercial succes above creating original music. Or, they have lost touch with what their fans like (both old and new ones).Β Proof: Β 

1. Higher power does poor on Spotify in streamsΒ given their total monthly listeners, despite a major commercial push.Β 

2. Coldplay claimsΒ to perform live, but in fact vocals of two different 'live' performancesΒ are identical (Brits & Idols).

3. During the britsΒ they posted a picture indicating they were about to get on stage outside the O2, despite the performance being recorded a few days before that.Β 

4. The acoustic version of 'higher power' does not have authentic vocals, but the ones identical to the original.Β 

5. The Higher PowerΒ CD single was promoted as "extremely limited" on Facebook, yet is even for sale in physical stores.

Thoughts?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I think both of your statements have some issues.Β 

If Coldplay has become inauthentic, how do you explain Everyday Life? We can't really pretend it was a one-off thing or a passing phase. It was a full album that felt mildly reminiscent of theΒ pre-mylo eras.Β On top of that, pop has become Coldplay's sound for the past seven or eight years. That's a long time to be inauthentic, imo. Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from, but I think EL throws a bit of a wrench into your statementΒ 

Have Coldplay truly lost touch with what their fans want? A decent amount of people (mostly new fans, I'll give you that) seem pleased with what they've put out in the past seven years. Despite Higher Power being a bit of a flop, it's not their worst song ever. Some people still like it.Β 

But here's to hoping LP9 is different.Β 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well guys,

It could be that I'm a bit drunk or particularly in love with humanity tonight but guess what?Β 

Coldplay are the ones we learned to know during the last 20 and more years. We know theirΒ value as musicians, singers, performers, sognwriters and so on. And we like them right for those things. Even if I'm a bit disappointed by their poppyish path, I will always recognize that behind their production, there's a huge work of putting toghether ideas, trying them and figure out what could soundΒ like putting those thingsΒ inside, just like every other musician in the world. But their' way. Maybe I don't like how they sound like,or lyrics, or so on, but I can see how they put all those things on a song.

Maybe they are embracing the full pop-world and we have definitely lose them. Or maybe they are trying to find something new that can satisfy their deep need of create something in 2021, our deep need of new music and also the need of doing something always catchy, cool and fresh that all the listeners are expecting from them duringΒ the last 20 years. Real fans or not. In In my little opinion human heart is a great prove of what they can do right now. And also higher power, why not?Β 

Whatever could pop out, it will be a big come back, full of music and of course, coldplay's wayΒ of doing things. Let's enjoy this era and what will bring to us. I'm sure everyone of us will find a little gem in it.Β 

Yes, a bit populist and naive, but music is such a beautiful thing... If we are so disappointed of how things are going is just because we loved a lot their previous releases. We just have to enjoy what's next. Anyway, it will be full of new music and new sounds. Sounds good, isn't it?Β 

A big hug to all of you guys

Β 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

WellΒ this acoustic version is a little disappointing to me. One reason is that the original song has that unmissable energetic flair, which makes Higher Power so powerful. This is just in between chaotic and relaxed, is fun though, but imoΒ still too much 'extras'. Go big or go home. They already have much better acoustic songs.Β 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, BerheavedTripod8 said:

Β Acoustic version of Higher Power out in some parts of the world. Works for me when using australian VPN

It's alright. I don't really like how the vocals are mixed and implemented into this version. It'd sound better with brand new vocal tracks apart from the ones in the normal version of the song. A good acoustic Coldplay song in my opinion is one that sounds like it's being sung with natural vocals. No auto tune or fancy effects. And this version falls short in that regard. It doesn't sound intimate like Til Kingdom Come, Us Against The World, Old Friends and all the other acoustic Coldplay songs do. The instrumentals are pretty, though.

Edited by 42Escapist
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 42Escapist said:

It's alright. I don't really like how the vocals are mixed and implemented into this version. It'd sound better with brand new vocal tracks apart from the ones in the normal version of the song. A good acoustic Coldplay song in my opinion is one that sounds like it's being sung with natural vocals. No auto tune or fancy effects. And this version falls short in that regard. It doesn't sound intimate like Til Kingdom Come, Us Against The World, Old Friends and all the other acoustic Coldplay songs do. The instrumentals are pretty, though.

This is exactly how I feel. Especially the vocals make sense in the whole Coldplay acoustic repertoire.Β I feel this could also be a side project of Max Martin who was up to mixΒ some early versions into one.Β 

• Like 4

Acoustic Review

TLDR: Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed at the lack of a new performance & overall production. I really appreciate the band giving us a version of the song that has some instrumental call backs to Oldplay, but I wish they delivered a better recording that added some unique flavor to this acoustic version (think strings from LiJ, more choir vocals on COTW NPR). I'll overall forget this probably like I did the Princess of China acoustic version, which feels super similar to what we got here 10 years later.

Spoiler

The Good:Β 

• I love getting alt versions, so that's a plus in itself.Β 
  • The build up/bridge are amazing. That mini organ that will plays on Daddy makes a return and it's super beautiful as it builds into the chorus. I love Jacob Collier's piano that imitates the synths on the studio version, it's very lovely, light and pleasant.Β 
  • Guitar playing is cool -- nothing like a good ol strumming song from the boys.Β 

The Bad:Β 

• What is this mixing though? The guitar sounds like its from a poorly recorded Dashboard Confessional song in the mid-2000's. It sounds compressed as heck and like they threw it together way too fast.Β 
  • Jonny still not present. I feel like this acoustic version was an opportunity to add a lot more instrumentation to breathe more life into the chorus. For example, between "you've got...." and "...a higher power" they simply hit a piano key. Kinda drab.Β 
  • The vocals. Okay so hear me out. On Princess of China acoustic, Coldplay just re-recorded the instrumental and then laid the original vocal track over it. It's awkward. It sounds like two songs being mashed on top of one another. Here, it's the exact same thing. Chris, the Love Choir, and the boys didn't sit in a room and record this authentically. Instead, they worked separately to record the different instruments and then threw the original vocals on top of it and called it a day. This really dooms the song for me -- the tempo isn't different, the vocals in the finale aren't different, it's all the same song without the synths, which just isn't creative imo.Β 
  • I'm feeling worried if other, quieter MOTS tracks have this poor of production...
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Acoustic Review

TLDR: Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed at the lack of a new performance & overall production. I really appreciate the band giving us a version of the song that has some instrumental call backs to Oldplay, but I wish they delivered a better recording that added some unique flavor to this acoustic version (think strings from LiJ, more choir vocals on COTW NPR). I'll overall forget this probably like I did the Princess of China acoustic version, which feels super similar to what we got here 10 years later.

Β  Hide contents

• The build up/bridge are amazing. That mini organ that will plays on Daddy makes a return and it's super beautiful as it builds into the chorus. I love Jacob Collier's piano that imitates the synths on the studio version, it's very lovely, light and pleasant.Β 
  • Guitar playing is cool -- nothing like a good ol strumming song from the boys.Β 

• What is this mixing though? The guitar sounds like its from a poorly recorded Dashboard Confessional song in the mid-2000's. It sounds compressed as heck and like they threw it together way too fast.Β 
  • Jonny still not present. I feel like this acoustic version was an opportunity to add a lot more instrumentation to breathe more life into the chorus. For example, between "you've got...." and "...a higher power" they simply hit a piano key. Kinda drab.Β 
  • The vocals. Okay so hear me out. On Princess of China acoustic, Coldplay just re-recorded the instrumental and then laid the original vocal track over it. It's awkward. It sounds like two songs being mashed on top of one another. Here, it's the exact same thing. Chris, the Love Choir, and the boys didn't sit in a room and record this authentically. Instead, they worked separately to record the different instruments and then threw the original vocals on top of it and called it a day. This really dooms the song for me -- the tempo isn't different, the vocals in the finale aren't different, it's all the same song without the synths, which just isn't creative imo.Β 
  • I'm feeling worried if other, quieter MOTS tracks have this poor of production...

That's right, the acoustic version of Princess of China does have the same vocal tracks... and even it sounds better than this. Chris does the "3, 2, 1" count in at the beginning and that's the only part that differs.

Most of the acoustic stuff on Everyday Life sounds so good. Listen to that guitar tone in Old Friends. It's beautiful and it sounds crisp rather than overly compressed. WOTW/POTP has awful sound quality, but that's the point. It was recordedΒ fromΒ a phone and the simplicity is charming. It'sΒ a calm little interlude before the grandiosity of Arabesque.

But this just isn't the same. If anything on MOTS sounds as bad as this version of Higher Power, I'm gonna be quite disappointed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Acoustic Review

Β  Hide contents

Β 

This triggered some thoughts for me:

-The acoustic guitar mixing actually reminds me a lot of Old Friends. I don't think it's bad, but I do find it a little loud relative to the other instruments.Β 

-I quite like the organ too! Reminds me of the organ on Careful Where You Stand.Β The near-lack of drums reminds me of the same, as well as things like See You Soon or any of the band's AHFOD era request songs where generally Will played piano. That kind of added a particular brand of intimacy that I found fun.Β 

-Agree on the vocal weirdness. I wish they had just kept Chris's and Will's vocals. The extra ooh's at the end are fun though, and kind of wish that was on the album version.Β 

-Agree on the electric guitar. There was some nice interplay between the piano and electric guitar especially in the 2nd verse and outro, but the live full band version still wins on having the most Jonny.

-The kickass Guy bassline is basically gone, and Will's urgent drumming is also gone. If I had designed this experience I would've kept the bass and drums - perhaps on a cajon - and then have Chris on the piano or acoustic guitar only and Jonny on electric guitar.

The acoustic version of POC actually sounds pretty good now. I totally forgot that existed.Β 

Β 

• Like 2

They must be high as fuck when they're making decisions! The beautiful instrumentation with the organ and the piano didn't deserve to be murdered by those unchanged vocals. The guitar work is lovely too!

Another recent one that was weird was how better the music video version of Orphans was, compared to the studio version; so much so that I replaced it on my playlist. The first half is super acoustic and beautiful and Moses' voice just makes it "work" somehow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nvdmm said:

They must be high as fuck when they're making decisions! The beautiful instrumentation with the organ and the piano didn't deserve to be murdered by those unchanged vocals. The guitar work is lovely too!

Another recent one that was weird was how better the music video version of Orphans was, compared to the studio version; so much so that I replaced it on my playlist. The first half is super acoustic and beautiful and Moses' voice just makes it "work" somehow.

It's funny because I accidentally listened to the music video version BEFORE the lyric video with the studio version and I got quite confused. ?Β Also, remember when they just quietly released this gem...I've always thought Orphans is such a great song built on a very smart beat, bassline, lots of guitars, etc. My only complaint about the studio version is the kid voices are a bit much (wish they had saved it for the final chorus like in Up&Up where each successive choruses becomes progressively louder).Β 

Also some of the posts that seem to be having an existential crisis about Coldplay's authenticity based on an offhanded release of an acoustic version of a song seems a bit of an overreaction, but that's just my opinion. How can they be not authentic when you see a video like this vvvvv or Instagram Live concert from last year.Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 12:40 AM, GamingForeverAUS said:

I can see them playing this only in small venues, a radio appearance or on a livestream on instagram or something

Hahah just played it live on the Tonight Show. Sounded incredible! This is what I’ve been waiting for!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This acoustic performance on Jimmy FallonΒ had definitely nice vibes, but probably at this point fans are getting already a bit tired of the promotion of Higher Power. Waiting for something new!?

About this performance. Really nice to see so many people on stage with them playing and singing. I didn't have time to look too much into it for now, I hope these guysΒ were actually playing for real and it was performed mostlyΒ live.Β These Chris' nice littleΒ harmonies on the last chorus are unfortunately coming from tape andΒ some parts of choir too probably, but overall at first watch this performance felt definitely veryΒ human and real compared to the ones with tons of fireworks.

• Like 8

Well... this acoustic live version was really good. I enjoyed it a lot. Sounded better than the studio acoustic version because the vocals seemed to be live and the performance actually felt... natural. "Natural" as in not artificial with a copied and pasted vocal track, just the band, the Love Choir, and Jimmy Fallon at the end having a great time.

It reminded me of this. Fun, uptempo, and back to basics. That's the Coldplay I like to see when they do acoustic stuff for promo appearances.

Β 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CP-EST said:

This acoustic performance on Jimmy FallonΒ had definitely nice vibes, but probably at this point fans are getting already a bit tired of the promotion of Higher Power. Waiting for something new!?

About this performance. Really nice to see so many people on stage with them playing and singing. I didn't have time to look too much into it for now, I hope these guysΒ were actually playing for real and it was performed mostlyΒ live.Β These Chris' nice littleΒ harmonies on the last chorus are unfortunately coming from tape andΒ some parts of choir too probably, but overall at first watch this performance felt definitely veryΒ human and real compared to the ones with tons of fireworks.

Agreed...not sure why they didn't have one of the Love Choir members sing those ooh's???

Nice energy indeed, Chris's acoustic sounds on point. Sad about the lack of bass, and Jonny's guitar is woefully quiet. But Will does some cool stuff on the piano like on the album-acoustic version!!Β 

^^^Acoustic stuff during the MX era was the best. ?

Β 

Edited by MosesTheMarshmallow
  • Like 2

That acoustic live version of Higher Power was surprisingly good, better than the acoustic studio version ! I loved Will's piano work and those little high notes at 3:10 ! It gives a more colorful atmosphere, close to MX acoustic songs.Β 

And man ... This acoustic versionΒ of Hurts like Heaven was flawless. One of their absolute best songs without a doubt.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

• Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion