✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

5 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I'm so excited by this guitar-synth thing. Jonny already makes such cool sounds on the guitar, whether that's the main riff in POC, the ambient intro of MX-era GPASUYF or AROBTTH-era Spies. Matthew Bellamy (guitarist of Muse) and Chris Wolstenholme (bassist) both run their instruments through lots of synth pedals and get super interesting results.

Simple application - arpeggiator on the guitar

Β 

More complex application - making dubstep with guitars and bassΒ ?

Β 

Β 

Β 

motp = best muse song

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I'm so excited by this guitar-synth thing. Jonny already makes such cool sounds on the guitar, whether that's the main riff in POC, the ambient intro of MX-era GPASUYF or AROBTTH-era Spies. Matthew Bellamy (guitarist of Muse) and Chris Wolstenholme (bassist) both run their instruments through lots of synth pedals and get super interesting results.

Simple application - arpeggiator on the guitar

Β 

More complex application - making dubstep with guitars and bassΒ ?

Β 

Β 

Β 

I was thinking about this a while back when Chris did that little live stream solo gig, I think it was something for Dell? And he had a MIDI controller on his instruments, which he jokingly called "Coldplay in a box." The one on his acoustic guitar definitely reminded me of the (much more advanced) Kaoss Pad that Matt Bellamy uses. And when that's combined with synth pedals, it really can let one musician make an extremely wide range of different sounds with a single instrument. It'd be so cool if Jonny were to use a guitar-synth device alongside what he already does. He could do some even more other-worldy stuff and that'd be great for an album like MOTS that's supposed to be space and alien-themed.

If only Coldplay would do something that sounds like Black Holes & Revelations... or maybe The Resistance. Imagine a spiritual successor to X&Y that's heavier and angrier, with orchestral stuff sprinkled in. But I think they're done with "angry Coldplay" for now after Trouble In Town, Arabesque, and Guns.

By the way, I love that you posted this version of Map of the Problematique. I was at Glasto for it and it was definitely a highlight of the set.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheBigBadBono said:

I must admit I'm not feeling entirely hopeful about the new era.

But I think people are forgetting that Music of the Spheres as a concept started during the Viva days and that all the reused terms (Alien Radio) and reused set ideas and costumes from the MX tour seem to confirm this. Just like the MX and Viva eras, Jon Hopkins is allegedly back (from his reddit AMA) and that we've heard only one pop song (HP) while hearing another in the vein of Everyday Life (HH) and a weird ambient intro that sounds like the Escapist, MMIX, and Always in My Head combined.

People are also overlooking how ambitious this is. This has entire worlds and planets, a concept, a language and culture, weird radio transmissions that suggest further clues, etc. This feels way too ambitious to be something like GS or AHFOD but rather something like MX or VLV. Will said his favorite song which was played on BBC big weekend but not broadcasted is something they've never done before - Chris also talked about a new song that was "weird and new", comparing it to metal/jazz-fusion.

I think there's something much more exciting to come than what we've seen so far.

People have cited one of the Roadie 42 blog posts before, where he says that Chris asked him to "build a solar system" after everyone got back from the last leg of the Viva tour in Latin America. I wonder if that has to do with the solar system of 12 "spheres" that the album is based around, or if it has to do with the stage setup, a bit like what was used for the American Idol performance of Higher Power.

http://timeline.coldplay.com/article/roadie-42-blog-118/

I wonder about this quote from another blog post in 2010. It might just be referring to the bizarre guitar tone that Jonny achieves in Princess of China. But it might be something different, something that we haven't heard. Who knows...

"The conversation about today’s song is getting underway. Guy, Will, Chris and Phil are sitting with producer Markus Dravs. Jonny has already sat at his guitar-world and has begun experimenting with sounds. His guitar is being fed into his laptop. What is coming out the other end sounds very much like it’s arriving from another planet."

http://www.coldplay.com/roadie-42-blog-121/

Β 

EDIT:

Honestly, this is exactly the kind of thing that Jonny could be doing with the Meris Enzo guitar pedal... he could be going for more of these really bizarre and otherworldly sounds.

Edited by 42Escapist
  • Like 5

I just saw an ad for the new all-electric BMW models with the soundtrack Higher Power. Though it seems a fittingΒ soundtrack especially with the line 'This joy is electric' I am a bit disappointed. Didn't they say some years ago that they would never allowΒ their music to be used for commercials?Β 

2 hours ago, merril said:

I just saw an ad for the new all-electric BMW models with the soundtrack Higher Power. Though it seems a fittingΒ soundtrack especially with the line 'This joy is electric' I am a bit disappointed. Didn't they say some years ago that they would never allowΒ their music to be used for commercials?

Yes. But Chris said in a recent interview that after AHFOD they felt that they have achieved what they wanted. Now they have kind of re-written their internal rules, and are being open to certain things that they were earlier not open to.Β  This included their performance at American Idol.

Β 

I don't remember the exact words, but that was the gist of it

3 hours ago, merril said:

I just saw an ad for the new all-electric BMW models with the soundtrack Higher Power. Though it seems a fittingΒ soundtrack especially with the line 'This joy is electric' I am a bit disappointed. Didn't they say some years ago that they would never allowΒ their music to be used for commercials?Β 

What? Are you serious? Our commercials are filled with their tracks. Yellow, Clocks, Viva La Vida, Sky Full Of Stars, Adventure Of A Lifetime are tracks that are literaly abused by ads here. Cellular companies, car ads, sports equipment shops, gym chains and the list goes on. If you ask people if they know Coldplay and they say they don't, if you play them these tracks they will go like "OH! The track from that ad...". I also clearly remember Vodafone using the Jacques Lu Cont's Thin White Duke mix of "Talk" back when I was in highschool, everybody seemed to mumble the tune from that remix.

People don't realise that covering a song or playing it on a commercial DOES NOT need the greenlight of the artist to be allowed into an ad. They can go ahead and use it as long as they pay for the licence it requires. Using a sample though on a track (like how Talk is sampling Kraftwerk's Computer Love) DOES INDEED require the licence of all the artists involved.

The reason we have all these instrumentals of their albums is because they are offered by EMI SYNC and UMPG for licensing, mostly in ads.

Edited by nowayme
  • Like 6

Coldplay's songs or part of them have been used in several movies, series and trailers, but as for commercials for certain products they once said: 'We wouldn't be able to live with ourselves if we sold the songs' meanings like that.' That's why they turned down multi-million contracts from Gatorade, Coke etc. The contract with BMW will certainly be very profitable for them.

Β 

41 minutes ago, merril said:

Coldplay's songs or part of them have been used in several movies, series and trailers, but as for commercials for certain products they once said: 'We wouldn't be able to live with ourselves if we sold the songs' meanings like that.' That's why they turned down multi-million contracts from Gatorade, Coke etc. The contract with BMW will certainly be very profitable for them.

Β 

That meant them being featured in-person in ads, not their songs. I can name atleast 8 ads at the top of my head here using their songs. As I said, if let's say me, a telecommunications company, want to use "X" track of a Top40 artist, I just go to their music licence publishing website, find the track I want, select from a certain type of criteria that I want to use, pay for it and done. It's a little bit oversimplified but at no time it ever requires anyone from the original artists agreeing in any way their song being used in my company's ad, the artists do not hold any kind of publishing rights to their music. Kinda similar to how cover songs work. The original artist cannot stop you from covering their song, it's just that you are obliged to pay for a licence. The only exception to the rule is when you want to sample their track.

Edited by nowayme
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 3:23 AM, harrisonrules said:

Why are there so many sex shops in Kaotica

3rd one is unclear but I see S and E in back and possibly XΒ 

20210608_122214.thumb.jpg.2060d429cbb8330906655ae31dc4f060.jpg

Screenshot_20210608-235533_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210609-200021_YouTube.jpg

Β 

1 hour ago, ermitao said:

Maybe a reference to the cyberpunk genre. Its also included in the concept art:Β Higher Power, DOFRESH .

I haven't played it yet, but I know that there's a videogame called Cyberpunk 2077 and there are sex shops in there. It is based on a role-playing game called Cyberpunk 2020. Maybe they took inspiration from there. In fact, the whole aesthetic of the Higher Power video, reminds a lot to that videogame.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Philosopher said:

Β 

I haven't played it yet, but I know that there's a videogame called Cyberpunk 2077 and there are sex shops in there. It is based on a role-playing game called Cyberpunk 2020. Maybe they took inspiration from there. In fact, the whole aesthetic of the Higher Power video, reminds a lot to that videogame.

Β 

9 hours ago, ermitao said:

Maybe a reference to the cyberpunk genre. Its also included in the concept art:Β Higher Power, DOFRESH .

Kaotica is absolutely inspired by cyberpunk. It's a run-down dystopian world where scrap metal and garbage are all over the place, and there are few signs of life apart from Chris and the aliens who dance with him. It's likeΒ Earth in the movie Wall-E, which is filled with so much garbage and pollution that everybody flew off into space to get away from it.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, BerheavedTripod8 said:

Β Acoustic version of Higher Power out in some parts of the world. Works for me when using australian VPN

Man, this is BEAUTIFUL!! This is the Coldplay I love. VersiΓ³n with piano, acoustic guitar and heart. Great!

Works with any Australian VPN in iPhone. You won’t regret it!

Curious to see what you guys think!

Either Coldplay no longer cares about being authentic, and put commercial succes above creating original music. Or, they have lost touch with what their fans like (both old and new ones).Β Proof: Β 

1. Higher power does poor on Spotify in streamsΒ given their total monthly listeners, despite a major commercial push.Β 

2. Coldplay claimsΒ to perform live, but in fact vocals of two different 'live' performancesΒ are identical (Brits & Idols).

3. During the britsΒ they posted a picture indicating they were about to get on stage outside the O2, despite the performance being recorded a few days before that.Β 

4. The acoustic version of 'higher power' does not have authentic vocals, but the ones identical to the original.Β 

5. The Higher PowerΒ CD single was promoted as "extremely limited" on Facebook, yet is even for sale in physical stores.

Thoughts?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion