✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Sky Full Of Stars!! (Out now - See first post)

Coldplay is apparently the only band in history to manage to "sell-out" on four consecutive albums.

The reality is that the band could release anything and sell millions. ASFOS is on the album and sounds the way it does because the band likes it.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay is apparently the only band in history to manage to "sell-out" on four consecutive albums.

The reality is that the band could release anything and sell millions. ASFOS is on the album and sounds the way it does because the band likes it.

Fuck yes, this. Enough of the conspiracy theories. "Oh the song is on there just for the radio listening crowd", "Oh its only on there for marketing". Chris just said in the interview yesterday that he likes this type of music. Maybe it isn't Coldplay if you're using the old definition of Coldplay but the definition has changed; its the way Coldplay is now and the way its gonna be in the future. If you don't like it, happy trails or just press skip.

This.

Strawberry like you said for me as a true coldplay fan it's painful to hear to. I've tried it like 5 times the last to hours and I couldn't finish one single time. The first 4 times I looked in YouTube and I thought that would be a avicii remix and the original isn't released yet... The 5th time I saw the live version like 2 minutes long but still had to turn off because I get more and more angry... Chris used over 10 years the gt20 cause he just needed a piano, and now he has a piano wich plays byself, ! Prerecorded ! That's nothing else than pressing play on a pioneer player....

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

So what? They've moved on. It's called change or evolution (whether you think it's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you) If you don't like it don't listen to it and forget all about it. I for one am happy they always change their sound and I think I will love them no matter what sound they come up with next. And as far as we know, GS is a perfect mixture of all different types of sounds. And I like that. ASFOS will be on my ''happy, euphoric mood songs'' list definitely ;)

And btw at least they have a piano which plays by itself, during MX and Viva it was all pre-recored and backing track. Now at least it's more live ;)

I haven't listened to this song yet and I think that I'm not even going to read all the comments because there are too much and it's clear that it has people divided with a wide variety of opinions, ones love it and others hate it, but just like all of the other songs. Anyways, I think that my friends will like this song more than others.

Fuck yes, this. Enough of the conspiracy theories. "Oh the song is on there just for the radio listening crowd", "Oh its only on there for marketing". Chris just said in the interview yesterday that he likes this type of music. Maybe it isn't Coldplay if you're using the old definition of Coldplay but the definition has changed; its the way Coldplay is now and the way its gonna be in the future. If you don't like it, happy trails or just press skip.

absolutely agree. the wonderful and unique thing about artist's is that they are always evolving because that is the nature of an artist. coldplay have been and will always be forever evolving their sound for the rest of their career until they dont feel like it anymore. sure it probably can be debated that their old stuff was better, point in fact, because thats why we all fell in love with coldplays music in the first place. but its inevitable that they are/were going to change their sound.

Chris always make it obvious when he likes something. He tweeted out "Madness is Muse's best song" and then made a song like it. He collaborated with Rihanna and covered the EDM song, We Found Love and then made a song like it. It proves he only makes songs he likes and for no other reason. His songs are inspired by whatever he likes at the moment. And his taste seems to be kinda "mainstream" which makes people think their selling out ya knar?

Hey I remember you describing exactly my feelings during MX and guess what, you still do. Especially the identity crisis part. I always feel like I have to explain myself when I say I love Coldplay.

Unfortunately, this is Coldplay. But I wish it weren't. I forgive them this little indulgence because I think it's going to be a solid album. It could easily do without this track though and it'd be more of a statement if they left it out.

Well well wie hebben we hier. I remember you, we seem to agree again, don't we?

Let's say I wouldn't have a problem dancing to this at 2 in the morning but I would have a minor problem with my friends then coming up to me and saying "OMG you are a huge Coldplay fan this must be like your favourite song I know it's mine our music tastes are like so similar!!!!!" Well whatever, they're still my friends. :p And this is still Coldplay, I'll let them do what they want. Most people like it, so why not. They don't have to let a handful of grumpy fans decide what they do. At least with Oceans they proved to still be able to do what made me love them so much. A Sky Full Of Stars will not take that away.

Sleep has a valid point. They're not selling out, they're just having fun. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see EMI has put them under a little pressure here.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Tryptophan I agree to 100% with you... This is so not coldplay! The thing is, what always impressed me most about them was just making music out of the heart, songs like shiver, fix you, warning sign ... (Every coldplay song from don't panic to daaohf) were true impressions of feelings... And there is nothing better than keep this music simple: guitar/piano, eguitar, bass and drums. I really loved every cp Song until atlas, except poc... I can't understand why so many people here say oh on mx we had songs like etiaw or Charlie Brown wich are also made for the huge audience but in my opinion those are still true rock songs such were unique and never been there before. When they released midnight I was very sceptic as well but I have to say after I listened to it often I realized it's also something special and ok they wanna do something new why not. But this song is just nothing special it sounds so like edm I hate this word EDM I am also so angry right now that I have to think of avicii when I'm hearing coldplay!!!!!!! I just don't get it there are so many demos, unreleased songs and they gave away stuff like Lukas! Listen just one time to Lukas right now, that is coldplay like it should be! And they showed with oceans that they are still able to do that so why is there a need for such stuff? Just my opinion.....

That's the problem right there though isn't it? Coldplay don't want to be defined by one particular "sound". Perhaps they thought that way in the past but they certainly don't anymore and for me they are all the better for it. Since Viva La Vida they've revealed themselves to have such an eclectic palette - one moment it's shoegazing (Chinese Sleep Chant), the next it's pure pop (Paradise) and then it's electro/ambience (Midnight) and now it's EDM. As a major pop act they are a challenge to define. It doesn't mean they won't offer more of what most of us loved in them (like Oceans and Fly On). I'd much rather track 8 on this album be taken up by an excellent EDM track than a sub standard imitation of Clocks* because I'm certain that is what we would get if they decided to restrict themselves to reproducing the same sound.

Actually we did get a sub standard imitation of Clocks - it was called Speed of Sound!

When I first heard (a part of) the studio version of ASFOS in the Zane Lowe interview yesterday, I was a little shocked because I loved the live version on Friday in Cologne so much and it wasn´t even slightly an EDM style song. At first I thought Chris was just joking around when he said that Aviici was working on the song and I was a little disappointed because I thought Aviici only could ruin a Coldplay song. But now after listening to the full studio version and the Jools Holland live version a few times, I`m content with the song. I prefer the live version with more guitar and less Aviici, but the studio version is still pretty good. It´s a powerful and engergetic song and although quite different to what they usally do, it´s still clearly Coldplay imo. I believe that GS will be an amazing album, with a good mixture between old (Oceans) and new/experimental (ASFOS) Coldplay.

Strawberry like you said for me as a true coldplay fan it's painful to hear to. I've tried it like 5 times the last to hours and I couldn't finish one single time. The first 4 times I looked in YouTube and I thought that would be a avicii remix and the original isn't released yet... The 5th time I saw the live version like 2 minutes long but still had to turn off because I get more and more angry... Chris used over 10 years the gt20 cause he just needed a piano, and now he has a piano wich plays byself, ! Prerecorded ! That's nothing else than pressing play on a pioneer player....

So I guess those of us who like the song aren't true fans then, what a shame.

The reality is that the band could release anything and sell millions.

Yes, it is called following trends.

ASFOS is on the album and sounds the way it does because the band likes it.

Sorry, but you can't know this. Of course everything is sugar-coated in interviews, but none of us can safely say that they didn't want to make a song like this just to have a modern sounding hit. If anything else, saying that they "don't care what other people think" is exactly the way to make you buy it. Not saying that they are liars, nor am I attacking you personally ( :) ) , just really believe that Chris is constantly trying to follow trends, not to mention indirectly sucking up to whoever is in the spotlight at the time ( Jay Z, Justin Bieber, Beyonce, Rihanna, Avicii and now One Diretion)...

Wow people just tends to over analyzing the things they like and specially the things they don't like it. It's not Coldplay's, Chris Martin or the music industry fault if you like it, or don't like it. It's just your personal taste and each individual have their own. Never was open for EDM songs, I just thought they're just a lot of noise come together without an structure melodies, so I don't gave any chance for me to like it or not. But as a Coldplay fan, I was open and I like it very much. Chris vocals in this song are awesome, he delivery one of his best performances right here, just blew my mind away. Very emotional and strong vocals. You can feel every single word he's sing. I could not resist the feeling that I have to dance in my chair while listening to it. The melody is awesome and again Chris just blew my mind with his performance. It seems more honest and emotional performance about happiness than what he did with ETIAW (witch I like very much). It's not my favorite Coldplay song until now, and even not my favorite of Ghost Stories so far, but for me is just an awesome song.

When I first heard (a part of) the studio version of ASFOS in the Zane Lowe interview yesterday, I was a little shocked because I loved the live version on Friday in Cologne so much and it wasn´t even slightly an EDM style song. At first I thought Chris was just joking around when he said that Aviici was working on the song and I was a little disappointed because I thought Aviici only could ruin a Coldplay song. But now after listening to the full studio version and the Jools Holland live version a few times, I`m content with the song. I prefer the live version with more guitar and less Aviici, but the studio version is still pretty good. It´s a powerful and engergetic song and although quite different to what they usally do, it´s still clearly Coldplay imo. I believe that GS will be an amazing album, with a good mixture between old (Oceans) and new/experimental (ASFOS) Coldplay.

this :thumbsup:

So I guess those of us who like the song aren't true fans then, what a shame.

Let me get this straight rightaway - I don't want to be put words into my mouth - I am not saying that people who like it are not true fans - that's just silly jumping to conclusions. I am just saying that if I wanted to hear a song like this, I'd turn to Avicii, Calvin Harris or whoever else that makes thousands of songs like this. Like someone said before, I'd be OK if this were Avicii featuring Chris Martin. I don't like this to be Coldplay's song. And damn it , why is that when somebody doesn't like something the band/musician in question does he HAS to justify the claims. I don't like it, I think it's garbage. Deal with it. I am not attacking anyone for liking it, am I?

One more thing - Chris has said in the interview that he likes that there are no more genre boundaries, and how it is all blending. Well, I am sorry, I can only partially agree with him on this one because at times, what is lost by this blending is uniqueness. And that's what this song lacks to me. It's like 100 of other songs out there. I don't need that from Coldplay. But you can have it.

Blimey. There's nothing else quite like music to divide opinion so strongly and cause so much anger, love, passion, is there? This song will make sense I'm sure, as others have said, in the context of the album. And the way it's been arranged and produced etc, is also perfect for a stand alone single release in time for summer. Well planned.

If you're not a fan, don't worry about it. What's the problem? Just don't give it any of your time, it's simple. There's a couple of Coldplay songs I don't particularly like too much that I skip past or avoid. But as a fan for some 11 or 12 years, it's been fantastic to see them do exactly what they want to do, album to album, to change and adapt as they push their own boundaries. They're constantly looking to improve and to try new things. That's why they're my favourite band and why they influence my own outlook on songwriting and music generally. This is what they wanted and this is how it is.

I like this track and I think it'll continue to grow on me. And I'm looking forward to hearing it in relation to the rest of the album.

Yes, it is called following trends.

Sorry, but you can't know this. Of course everything is sugar-coated in interviews, but none of us can safely say that they didn't want to make a song like this just to have a modern sounding hit. If anything else, saying that they "don't care what other people think" is exactly the way to make you buy it. Not saying that they are liars, nor am I attacking you personally ( :) ) , just really believe that Chris is constantly trying to follow trends, not to mention indirectly sucking up to whoever is in the spotlight at the time ( Jay Z, Justin Bieber, Beyonce, Rihanna, Avicii and now One Diretion)...

Very well said, maybe you're right. I like this. Thanks for sharing this thoughts. :rolleyes: