✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Sky Full Of Stars!! (Out now - See first post)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man.... that live version they just played on Jools Holland, THAT'S what I remember from the Sony taping. So much gorgeous guitar and Chris' vocals are great. Love, love, love it live.

This is also how i remember it from the Cologne show! I hope they will release a single with both the album version and a version like this.

I just would have liked it more if Chris had played the piano and/or guitar himself. But Chris probably wants to dance around. And a piano playing by itself is quite cool. It's like a ghost is playing :)

It's OK. 6/10 I will never be my favorite song. I think I will listen to it during the album, but i'm not going to listen to it as a stand alone track. Apart for the live version, which I like a lot more. And live the song will be very great to experience.

This will be the same as PoC was for me. OK, I accept and understand the step they took, but I'm loving the rest of the songs more.

(And I love ETiaW way more compared to this one)

It's amazing live. And even in the studio version there is so much going on underneath those heavy synths. I just hope they release a version without the synths cos the bass parts are amazing and the same goes for Jonny's parts. I still love the song though.

The song is brilliant. The guitar is brilliant, the melody is brilliant, the sound is brilliant. It's all brilliant.

People moaning that Coldplay have "sold out" are just idiotic in my opinion. Coldplay have always and will always be a band that write fantastic pop songs and were never not popular so it's impossible for them to actually sell out. Changing their sound for ONE SONG, one WHOLE SONG really isn't a big deal.

I love the new direction their going in, all the GS that I've heard (AIMH, AA, Oceans, Magic, Midnight and ASFoS) are produced magnificently, musically tight and have great hooks. Ghost Stories is shaping up to be one fantastic album.

I actually really like this a lot. It's very up-lifting, and very fitting for me, for this day since a friend very close to me that I only get to see every once in 3 or 4 years left today. I'm not one for huge synths and appreciate the less is more avenue of music creation, but this is excellent.

So, this may have been adressed before but 85 pages is a lot to read through, so sorry if something similar's already been said.

I will admit that, upon first listen, this is not my favorite song. Like many have stated, its just not my type of music. Now, for people who are fans of Avicii or Ellie Goulding (who's sound I think this song resembles) this song is probably great. I've heard people say the song is generic and I agree with that in some regards; mostly because it sounds like many other songs that are popular today. That's not necessarily a bad thing and I hate how some people online are slagging Coldplay off saying they have "no talent" anymore. Coldplay's versatility of style shows a lot of talent. Ghost Stories alone seems like its covering a lot of different musical territory. Just because this particular song doesn't resonate with me definitely doesn't mean the bad doesn't know what their doing.

I think Coldplay are aware that half their fans have alternative leanings, while the other half listens mostly to pop. From what I've heard from "Ghost Stories" so far, it seems their are songs for both interests. This song is for the more pop oriented fans. It might isolate some, but as other songs have shown, Coldplay are still interested in their roots and on a few of the other songs have built off of their older styles.

The song is brilliant. The guitar is brilliant, the melody is brilliant, the sound is brilliant. It's all brilliant.

People moaning that Coldplay have "sold out" are just idiotic in my opinion. Coldplay have always and will always be a band that write fantastic pop songs and were never not popular so it's impossible for them to actually sell out. Changing their sound for ONE SONG, one WHOLE SONG really isn't a big deal.]

Yeah, that's a frustrating one. They're the biggest band in the world at the moment, they don't NEED to do stuff like this at all and it's certainly not 'selling out'. This record will sell anyway. So I trust their judgement and creative choice in doing this.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Just watched Jools Holland - ASFOS just doesn't do it for me - in spite of Will's drumming and Jonny's guitar.... and Chris's voice sounded strained. Magic was great - heart-breaking.

I think Chris Martin's vocals are the best thing about the song. They really soar and on the studio version they are brilliantly untampered with, like most of this new album that we're hearing from. In my opinion I couldn't be happier because Chris's voice has always been the heart of the songs - it's so beautifully melancholic and fragile (even on this, of all songs) that I think it was a real shame that on the last two albums (despite VLV being all round excellent) these brilliant vocals were badly obscured by overproduction and excessive layering of his voice. ASFOS stays true to his very best voice while being undeniably dance themed at the same time. A great combination that many would not have thought possible 10 years ago.

Summary: a song that I will probably like at parties (with enough alcohol in my blood), but won't listen to on my own.

It's a cool and energetic track that's gonna be great at parties and clubs. For an Avicii track, it's gold. But it's Coldplay. And to be honest, this isn't Coldplay for me, not at all. This is Coldplay being a boring slave playing safe for the music industry. I was so thrilled by Oceans - still am - but with this song they admit that they don't have the balls to release an album without a hook-filled instant club classic that's going to secure their domination of the charts.

Anyway, no hard feelings, it's a good, uplifting yet predictable, superficial and bland song. And I know Coldplay like to make music like this nowadays. I'll let them do what they want. They can do whatever they want and Ghost Stories will be a mix of everything they can. It's only my problem that this adds to the identity crisis being a Coldplay fan is for me. You know, like when you say "I'm a Coldplay fan, but the mellow rock band Coldplay, not the floor-filling dance act Coldplay."

Am I the only one who feels like this?

Yeah, that's a frustrating one. They're the biggest band in the world at the moment, they don't NEED to do stuff like this at all and it's certainly not 'selling out'. This record will sell anyway. So I trust their judgement and creative choice in doing this.

Yeah they certainly don't need to attract any new fans or try to sell records but you really can't beat a bit of pop every now and again, well good pop anyway. They know what they're doing and although I would have loved an album full of songs like Yes, 42, MTM and Midnight I love the fact that Coldplay can make these songs that just make you smile and feel instantly happy aswell as the melancholic songs that leave you open and sensitive and it's seems like GS has both of those on the album. I think it could rival Viva for their best album

I recently watched an interview with Jay Z and he said that newspapers and magazines use to review albums, they were given it, a minimum, 1 month before the album was due to go out because you cannot get the meaning and what is happening musically in the song after one or two listens, which tends to happen these days, with blogs and online magazines reviewing thing after 24hr...

Obviously after the first listen we not all going to like it but we dont know how it fits in with the album, so i think its unfair to dismiss the song or to say coldplay have sold out after listening to it a few times!

Anyways from the first listen i like it, not sure how it will fit with the album, as it is has a higher tempo to the other songs but i guess once i have the album, i will be able to make a better jugdement on it

You're not the only one, absolutely agree.

After a few listens to the song I can't help but not get addicted to it, it's Coldplay after all, but deep down this isn't the kind of stuff I would like them to be producing. I love the rest of Ghost Stories, Oceans especially, and it would be a shame if this song takes all the attention and reinforces people's perception that the band have 'sold out' and become more poppy.

I just knew this song would be a disappointment, but I didn't know it would be such mainstream shit. This is just laughable, and I think it is really pointless to have it on the album.

Sorry to those who don't agree with me, I just can't find this thing serious. Really. Painful to listen to. AND BLATANTLY OVERRATED.

Summary: a song that I will probably like at parties (with enough alcohol in my blood), but won't listen to on my own.

It's a cool and energetic track that's gonna be great at parties and clubs. For an Avicii track, it's gold. But it's Coldplay. And to be honest, this isn't Coldplay for me, not at all. This is Coldplay being a boring slave playing safe for the music industry. I was so thrilled by Oceans - still am - but with this song they admit that they don't have the balls to release an album without a hook-filled instant club classic that's going to secure their domination of the charts.

Anyway, no hard feelings, it's a good, uplifting yet predictable, superficial and bland song. And I know Coldplay like to make music like this nowadays. I'll let them do what they want. They can do whatever they want and Ghost Stories will be a mix of everything they can. It's only my problem that this adds to the identity crisis being a Coldplay fan is for me. You know, like when you say "I'm a Coldplay fan, but the mellow rock band Coldplay, not the floor-filling dance act Coldplay."

Am I the only one who feels like this?

Hey I remember you describing exactly my feelings during MX and guess what, you still do. Especially the identity crisis part. I always feel like I have to explain myself when I say I love Coldplay.

Unfortunately, this is Coldplay. But I wish it weren't. I forgive them this little indulgence because I think it's going to be a solid album. It could easily do without this track though and it'd be more of a statement if they left it out.

Tryptophan I agree to 100% with you... This is so not coldplay! The thing is, what always impressed me most about them was just making music out of the heart, songs like shiver, fix you, warning sign ... (Every coldplay song from don't panic to daaohf) were true impressions of feelings... And there is nothing better than keep this music simple: guitar/piano, eguitar, bass and drums. I really loved every cp Song until atlas, except poc... I can't understand why so many people here say oh on mx we had songs like etiaw or Charlie Brown wich are also made for the huge audience but in my opinion those are still true rock songs such were unique and never been there before. When they released midnight I was very sceptic as well but I have to say after I listened to it often I realized it's also something special and ok they wanna do something new why not. But this song is just nothing special it sounds so like edm I hate this word EDM I am also so angry right now that I have to think of avicii when I'm hearing coldplay!!!!!!! I just don't get it there are so many demos, unreleased songs and they gave away stuff like Lukas! Listen just one time to Lukas right now, that is coldplay like it should be! And they showed with oceans that they are still able to do that so why is there a need for such stuff? Just my opinion.....

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk