✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Sky Full Of Stars!! (Out now - See first post)

Usually the only way I tolerate/enjoy EDM and dance music is after a few drinks, in a club. But this song has to me the perfect balance, I don't think EDM and the dance atmosphere to it takes over the whole song. It just really makes me want to dance. As for the lyrics, they may seem simple and sort of juvenile, but I can hear in Chris' voice that he's just being completely honest, and seeing their performance on Jools Holland, it's actually almost heartbreaking. Perhaps listening to the interview has also added some context and the lyrics actually have some depth to me now, because I get the meaning behind the songs.

The song actually made me emotional on first listen. I love and I hope it's gonna be a hit!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause you're a sky

A sky full of stars

I'm going to give you my heart

Cause you're cause a sky

A sky full of stars

And cause you light up the path

I don't care

Go on and tear me apart

I don't care if you do

Cause in a sky, a sky full of stars

I think I saw you

Cause you're a sky

A sky full of stars

I want to die in your arms

Cause you get lighter

the more it gets dark

I'm going to give you my heart

And I don't care

Go on and tear me apart

I don't care if you do

Cause in a sky, a sky full of stars

I think I see you

I think I see you

Because you're a sky

You're A sky full of stars

Such a heavenly view

Such a heavenly view

^thats my best guess at reading Chris' writing correct me if I'm wrong

Well done! :)

Usually the only way I tolerate/enjoy EDM and dance music is after a few drinks, in a club. But this song has to me the perfect balance, I don't think EDM and the dance atmosphere to it takes over the whole song. It just really makes me want to dance. As for the lyrics, they may seem simple and sort of juvenile, but I can hear in Chris' voice that he's just being completely honest, and seeing their performance on Jools Holland, it's actually almost heartbreaking. Perhaps listening to the interview has also added some context and the lyrics actually have some depth to me now, because I get the meaning behind the songs.

The song actually made me emotional on first listen. I love and I hope it's gonna be a hit!

Totally agree....

Chris Martin: "Ever since our band came out, we have been a very polarizing group because we do a certain thing very well... About two years ago I was a mess really because I can't enjoy the thing that we are good at. I don't want to go through life (...) being scared of rejection, being scared of failure."

Yeah, sure. That's why you put a song like A Sky Full Of Stars on a record that has nothing to do with it, tonally and musically-wise. A song with the broadest appeal possible that even non-fans (of the band and their music, or music in general) and casual listeners will like. There's nothing wrong with being POPular, and it's in Coldplay's genes. But if you try to consciously pander to EVERYONE... then that's a problem. At least Mylo Xyloto was consistent in being schizophrenic and misguided from beginning to end (and BTW Princess of China is a GREAT song ruined by bad production). This time the game is just more overt. ASFOS is not terrible, just incredibly bland.

So it's still there, Chris... the fear of rejection, the fear of failure. It's all in this song crammed between Oceans and O. You still can't enjoy the things you (and your band) are good at. Quite good indeed.

Chris Martin: "Ever since our band came out, we have been a very polarizing group because we do a certain thing very well... About two years ago I was a mess really because I can't enjoy the thing that we are good at. I don't want to go through life (...) being scared of rejection, being scared of failure."

Yeah, sure. That's why you put a song like A Sky Full Of Stars on a record that has nothing to do with it, tonally and musically-wise. A song with the broadest appeal possible that even non-fans (of the band and their music, or music in general) and casual listeners will like. There's nothing wrong with being POPular, and it's in Coldplay's genes. But if you try to consciously pander to EVERYONE... then that's a problem. At least Mylo Xyloto was consistent in being schizophrenic and misguided from beginning to end (and BTW Princess of China is a GREAT song ruined by bad production). This time the game is just more overt. ASFOS is not terrible, just incredibly bland.

So it's still there, Chris... the fear of rejection, the fear of failure. It's all in this song crammed between Oceans and O. You still can't enjoy the things you (and your band) are good at. Quite good indeed.

why be bitter? he wants to make this song. he just said it himself. if u dont like it, dont listen to it

Chris said in the Zane Lowe interview:

"What we decided to do on Ghost Stories was to really be honest about it and say "ok ! that is what's being happening and ... by the time, there's a song called A Sky Full Of Stars that's like (he smiles) ... OKAY ! Just approach everything we've love and see what happens, don't worry too much ! "

This is just to say that, he is Chris Martin, he knows what he wants for this album, so do the rest of the band. You either like it or you don't. But don't you dare spit on your beloved band just because of one song you do not like.

For instance, I don't like PoC. But still it is Coldplay... They've decided to record it that way. FINE ! I just don't like it the way I like all the others songs ! And I'm quite sure this track is someone's favorite ! And I respect it.

Ultimately, I'm just saying this song is on Ghost Stories for a good reason. And I hardly recommand to all of you to wait until you have the album in your hands, and press play. Then you'll listen these 42 minutes from beginning till end, and I believe you will get that "chemistry", that coherence and harmony they wanted to give you through Ghost Stories.

And if you think about it just for a second, the album is called Ghost STORIES. So if you just listen to Asfos as a single song, yeah, it might be strange. But consider this, as a whole storie. If you wanna enjoy the end, you gotta listen to the entire storie.

Mark my words, and remember that after you'll hear the whole album in a row.

JB

Didn't want to sound bitter. I just think the talent at work here is remarkable and they have enough experience and years of career behind them to do better than this...

The track simply stands out as the most extraneous and dull on this particular record, so far.

Obviously that's just my opinion (but only up to a point: luckily there are still ways of asserting if something is good based on empirical means).

Yes, CM wanted to convey something probably true and personal in this song, but maybe it wasn't the best way to do it. He could've made another Clocks or VLV... he made ASFOS feat. Avicii. Fair enough.

Everything else on the record sounds really good, though.

I like this song, although some parts of this song sound very mainstream. Put I can still hear Coldplay in it. I mean of course some of you can hate this song, but I really like how many different types of music are on this new album.

It sounds similar to one of those avici Songs, but I think we can live with one song like this? Could be a huge success for them.

I do believe in this album!

It reminded me of Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. Not the musical style, but the way they collaborate. On Random Access Memories each track was clearly a Daft Punk song, but it also was a (for instance) Panda Bear or Julian Casablancas song. They'd fit in both their individual catalogues and that's also the case with ASFOS. It is obviously very Coldplay (the paino, the buildup, the guitar) but it's also very Avicii (the distinctive Synth sound and added layers), so It's perfect as a Coldplay song but also perfect as an Avicii song, unlike your average "ft." track with 20 seconds of some other perfomer.

I think you should see it the opposite way. He wants to make music like this but knows the risk he's taking. By doing a song with Avicii they will be criticised by the cool crowd and their fans. He probably also knows he'd get more respect if they did a full album that was toned down, so doing that would be giving in to the fear of rejection. I think that's what Chris means. Because he loves songs like this, they decided to do it in spite of being rejected. And they do get rejected for it. Just read this thread.

I don't like the song either but I do believe it's what they want to make.

The cool crowd used to mock them even during the Parachutes and AROBTTH eras. I guess nowadays they prefer to be topical and fun (but forgettable) than being labeled as "bedwetters" like in the old days.

Bottom line: I feel you can't go from Bigger Stronger to ASFOS. Those two areas can't co-exist. Radiohead have done the most extreme and diverse records in their career, yet it was always them. Hard to explain, but I can perceive Good Morning Mr. Magpie as being from the same band of Creep.

I think you should see it the opposite way. He wants to make music like this but knows the risk he's taking. By doing a song with Avicii they will be criticised by the cool crowd and their fans. He probably also knows he'd get more respect if they did a full album that was toned down, so doing that would be giving in to the fear of rejection. I think that's what Chris means. Because he loves songs like this, they decided to do it in spite of being rejected. And they do get rejected for it. Just read this thread.

I don't like the song either but I do believe it's what they want to make.

i dont think the fans rejected this song(see the poll results).

its juz that, that majority who likes it isnt that vocal.

there is just a perception that fans dont like it cuz the minority is more vocal about their dislike of this song :)

The cool crowd used to mock them even during the Parachutes and AROBTTH eras. I guess nowadays they prefer to be topical and fun (but forgettable) than being labeled as "bedwetters" like in the old days.

Bottom line: I feel you can't go from Bigger Stronger to ASFOS. Those two areas can't co-exist. Radiohead have done the most extreme and diverse records in their career, yet it was always them. Hard to explain, but I can perceive Good Morning Mr. Magpie as being from the same band of Creep.

people have been labelling their songs as forgettable ever since parachutes debuted. and yet here we are on LP6 still talking about how coldplay's songs are forgettable ;)

Didn't want to sound bitter. I just think the talent at work here is remarkable and they have enough experience and years of career behind them to do better than this...

The track simply stands out as the most extraneous and dull on this particular record, so far.

Obviously that's just my opinion (but only up to a point: luckily there are still ways of asserting if something is good based on empirical means).

Yes, CM wanted to convey something probably true and personal in this song, but maybe it wasn't the best way to do it. He could've made another Clocks or VLV... he made ASFOS feat. Avicii. Fair enough.

Everything else on the record sounds really good, though.

Agree with this, underneath all the Avicci stuff ,its just a poor song which sounds half finished and goes nowhere which is annoying when your hear something like Fly On (O)

Sent from my Firefly V65 using Tapatalk

So after all these years Chris finally came to a point where he doesn't care what that crowd says anymore, apparently. Good for him, but in this case not great for us.

I get what you mean, it has an entirely different feel. But comparing them to Radiohead isn't really fair since that's such an innovative band and their career path is pretty unique.

Still, it's 1 out of 9 songs that's like this, the rest seem to go back to the Bigger Stronger days a bit. Which also makes me curious how it's going to fit on the album.

i dont think the fans rejected this song(see the poll results).

its juz that, that majority who likes it isnt that vocal.

there is just a perception that fans dont like it cuz the minority is more vocal about their dislike of this song :)

Well not all of them but a significant part. You get my point, it's a risk.