✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Sky Full Of Stars!! (Out now - See first post)

A Sky Full Of Stars is not an overly appealing song to me but it is definately a grower, because of the fact that he addresses an individual in the song and that it is an uplifting song for those in low moods. Maybe ask me after it hits radio stations and gets lots of play my view on the song would be different. Really so far its not a bad song. :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Coldplay fan since Parachutes came out, my favourite song ever is Yellow and my second favourite from Parachutes is Sparks, just so get a bearing on what my taste in music is like, i've never been one of those 'Coldplay can do no wrong' types, i adore 95% of the stuff they release but, personally, i hate the song Twisted Logic and i havent listened to Cemeteries of London in like 4 years. That being said, i loved A Sky Full of Stars, i think it's them going in an interesting new direction which, yes, sounds like Calvin Harris and a lot of other EDM artists but i think that there is this unique, uplifting Coldplay-ness to it, i really liked it and it has made me more excited for GS than i already was.

Let me get this straight rightaway - I don't want to be put words into my mouth - I am not saying that people who like it are not true fans - that's just silly jumping to conclusions. I am just saying that if I wanted to hear a song like this, I'd turn to Avicii, Calvin Harris or whoever else that makes thousands of songs like this. Like someone said before, I'd be OK if this were Avicii featuring Chris Martin. I don't like this to be Coldplay's song. And damn it , why is that when somebody doesn't like something the band/musician in question does he HAS to justify the claims. I don't like it, I think it's garbage. Deal with it. I am not attacking anyone for liking it, am I?

One more thing - Chris has said in the interview that he likes that there are no more genre boundaries, and how it is all blending. Well, I am sorry, I can only partially agree with him on this one because at times, what is lost by this blending is uniqueness. And that's what this song lacks to me. It's like 100 of other songs out there. I don't need that from Coldplay. But you can have it.

I guess some people are just inherently different or something, but a song doesn't have to be "unique" for me to like it.

As long as it's a good or catchy song, I'm happy, no matter how simple nor how complex, how "poppy" nor how acoustic & stripped down.

Maybe that's why I can enjoy pop music more than other people, idk, but I don't mind if there's a bunch of songs that "sound the same".

If they're songs I enjoy, no matter how simple, no matter how similar, the more the merrier I say! :)

Anyone who hasn't heard the live version, go do so:

I don't know how the engineers got such a perfect mix, but they did. To me this version is so much better. We hear Will switching between electronic and acoustic drums, we hear Guy's solo bass line in the 2nd verse, and best of all Jonny's guitar solo actually sounds like guitar!

It's more band and less computer.

Let me get this straight rightaway - I don't want to be put words into my mouth - I am not saying that people who like it are not true fans - that's just silly jumping to conclusions. I am just saying that if I wanted to hear a song like this, I'd turn to Avicii, Calvin Harris or whoever else that makes thousands of songs like this. Like someone said before, I'd be OK if this were Avicii featuring Chris Martin. I don't like this to be Coldplay's song. And damn it , why is that when somebody doesn't like something the band/musician in question does he HAS to justify the claims. I don't like it, I think it's garbage. Deal with it. I am not attacking anyone for liking it, am I?

One more thing - Chris has said in the interview that he likes that there are no more genre boundaries, and how it is all blending. Well, I am sorry, I can only partially agree with him on this one because at times, what is lost by this blending is uniqueness. And that's what this song lacks to me. It's like 100 of other songs out there. I don't need that from Coldplay. But you can have it.

First off the "words in your mouth" statement that you are referring to is my response to another posted who said "as a true coldplay fan it's painful to hear," no one is putting words in your mouth. I see that you're stating your opinion and that's what everyone on here is doing. However, our opinions aren't the same so we're having a discussion about it, no one on here is getting "attacked."

I don't understand how you can say "I don't need that from Coldplay" when 25% of the band is right there in an interview stating that this is the music that they want to make and enjoy making. If the band doesn't want their music to be unique, so be it, but it's still Coldplay. I'm not "putting words in your mouth," but from what I can understand you'd rather have one of your favorite bands making music that appeals to you, rather than them making music that they like making.

I guess some people are just inherently different or something, but a song doesn't have to be "unique" for me to like it.

As long as it's a good song, I'm happy.

Maybe that's why I can enjoy pop music more than other people, idk, but I don't mind if there's a bunch of songs that "sound the same".

If they're songs I enjoy, no matter how simple, no matter how similar, the more the merrier I say! :)

I understand where you are coming from. Basically, in the end, it's good music and bad music. But when I am into some musician's catalogue, I am dedicated to their sound. It is OK to evolve, it is OK to be influenced, it is OK to change your sound, as long as it makes sense and it is another side of you. VLV, the album, was different, yes, but it was not like million other songs and artists out there. THAT is what bothers me most, you know? I don't know how else to explain it and not be considered the hater douchebag around here, which you always seem to be the minute you say you dislike sth the others do...

I have to admit that honestly I'm a little disappointed in ASFOS. It was hyped up to be the best song on Ghost Stories but it ended up being like Princess of China part two. Always in My Head or O is definitely going to be the best tracks on the album and although ASFOS didn't live up to the hype, it's still an alright song and I hope in the future Coldplay does a scaled back acoustic version for it.

First off the "words in your mouth" statement that you are referring to is my response to another posted who said "as a true coldplay fan it's painful to hear," no one is putting words in your mouth. I see that you're stating your opinion and that's what everyone on here is doing. However, our opinions aren't the same so we're having a discussion about it, no one on here is getting "attacked."

I don't understand how you can say "I don't need that from Coldplay" when 25% of the band is right there in an interview stating that this is the music that they want to make and enjoy making. If the band doesn't want their music to be unique, so be it, but it's still Coldplay. I'm not "putting words in your mouth," but from what I can understand you'd rather have one of your favorite bands making music that appeals to you, rather than them making music that they like making.

But potentially it's just the opposite! I am all for the band making the music they like making, I am just being skeptycal (sp?) that they are doing this for other people , and this song sounds exactly like music for the masses (no DM reference pun intended) ! On the other hand, songs like Oceans, O and Always In My Head - THAT is what sounds like music the band wants to make... Of course, I might be wrong (no Radiohead reference pun intended either :D ) ...

As for the words in my mouth part, I apologize - I just wanted to say that I don't want to be labeled as saying that those who like the song are not true Coldplay fans.

Are there any mirrors of this version?:

[video=youtube;dR4-il3T74A]

I can't seem to find any proxies that are working (have to use those since I'm in the US), and I really want to download the 1080p video!

Thanks! :)

I understand where you are coming from. Basically, in the end, it's good music and bad music. But when I am into some musician's catalogue, I am dedicated to their sound. It is OK to evolve, it is OK to be influenced, it is OK to change your sound, as long as it makes sense and it is another side of you. VLV, the album, was different, yes, but it was not like million other songs and artists out there. THAT is what bothers me most, you know? I don't know how else to explain it and not be considered the hater douchebag around here, which you always seem to be the minute you say you dislike sth the others do...

I see where you're coming from as well. I guess it just comes down to uniqueness then. I just hate when people make these "sounds like everything else", or "pop music sucks", or "music nowadays sucks"-type general, blanket statements.

Are there any mirrors of this version?:

[video=youtube;dR4-il3T74A]

I can't seem to find any proxies that are working (have to use those since I'm in the US), and I really want to download the 1080p video!

Thanks! :)

keep an eye on MM

or do what I did. Go to the link. It'll say its blocked but just copy the web address. Then plug it into a youtube ripper that rips at 1080.

keep an eye on MM

or do what I did. Go to the link. It'll say its blocked but just copy the web address. Then plug it into a youtube ripper that rips at 1080.

Thanks, got it working. The site: http://en.savefrom.net/ ended up doing the trick.

Edit: Actually, damn, the 1080p version they had doesn't have audio for some reason, realized that after I downloaded it.

Guess I'll have to live with 720p for now :/ , Ah, these first world problems lol

I like it. It's a bit more dancey than it probably should be, but is also a natural progression from MX. I had a feeling there would be some tracks like this on this album, and when Midnight was released it didn't surprise me. That being said, I like all the tracks I have heard so far and I like the variety in their sound. I will be heading to Target to pick up the bonus track edition! :)

Meh. On one hand, it feels like a more realized version of the singles from MX, which sounded like half-baked synthpop tracks with weird effects on Chris's voice for no reason. This sounds like a better version of ETIAW to me, which is probably still my least favorite Coldplay song ever.

On the other hand, that still doesn't mean I like this, and it's the production that kills it for me. The house drop and all the layers AVICII added just take away from the song. Naturally, this will probably be their biggest hit here in the US since Viva, because even that hillbilly-sounding AVICII song from last year was huge here. But I agree with everyone who says this sounds like AVICII feat. Chris Martin instead of Coldplay, and I've always hated AVICII anyway.

Voted a 4 in the poll.

I happen to be of those Coldplayers who don't like ASFOS, but then again, I didn't like Paradise when I first heard it. Now, Paradise is one of my favorite songs. ASFOS will definitely grow on me. I just wish that Chris didn't stutter and say "Cause you're a sky, cause you're a sky full of stars." It makes it sound like a remix (even without Avicii's production).

i got shouted at for saying this in the jools post ill try here...lol.

anyway, i quite like the production,its different and the drums and synths are quite good. what kills the song for me is the lack of decent songwriting underneath. it doesnt really go anywhere, it gets boring and repetitive after a while and i struggle to listen to it all the way through. its a shame because the songwriting in most of coldplays songs is superb.

Sent from my S82 using Tapatalk

But potentially it's just the opposite! I am all for the band making the music they like making, I am just being skeptycal (sp?) that they are doing this for other people , and this song sounds exactly like music for the masses (no DM reference pun intended) ! On the other hand, songs like Oceans, O and Always In My Head - THAT is what sounds like music the band wants to make... Of course, I might be wrong (no Radiohead reference pun intended either :D ) ...

As for the words in my mouth part, I apologize - I just wanted to say that I don't want to be labeled as saying that those who like the song are not true Coldplay fans.

I understand what you're saying. It's all good and feel free to voice your opinion without worrying about what others will think. It's your right on this forum to say what you think about their music : )