✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Sky Full Of Stars!! (Out now - See first post)

The cool crowd used to mock them even during the Parachutes and AROBTTH eras. I guess nowadays they prefer to be topical and fun (but forgettable) than being labeled as "bedwetters" like in the old days.

Bottom line: I feel you can't go from Bigger Stronger to ASFOS. Those two areas can't co-exist. Radiohead have done the most extreme and diverse records in their career, yet it was always them. Hard to explain, but I can perceive Good Morning Mr. Magpie as being from the same band of Creep.

I know i will be hated by saying this but, I just dont see any difference between what Radiohead does and what coldplay does. Radiohead's later stuff is actually the product of Thom Yorke wanting to do APHEX TWIN type of music. (For those who dont know him, he is an electronic musician and composer). It's not as if Radiohead is doing original stuff. its actually similar to more obscure, less commercial electronic music.

Coldplay on the other hand likes more commercial electronic music. If they want to go this route, then we cannot do anything about it. They want to do what they want do. Just my 2 cents though, dont hate me ;)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite a nice light feel-good PEDM (Poptronic dance music :laugh3: ) song, and I like how Chris's confident voice punches through the synths.

However, the song sounds completely and utterly out of place on a Coldplay album, and completely out of place from what I am used to as the Coldplay range of sounds.

Midnight seems to be the only other more unconventional song on Ghost Stories that I've heard so far. I like Midnight a lot more than ASFOS, but I still don't think it belongs in an album.

Old stuff? I don't remember anything from Parachutes or AROBTTH sounding like this.

Me neither.

I'd love to hear some more ambitious and soulful songs similar to

Sleeping Sun;

Animals;

Don Quixote;

Proof;

Gravity;

See You Soon

I like the song, but I don't think they succeeded at making it their own, it truly sounds like a remix of a Coldplay song. I love electronic music, hence why I feel like with this song they could have blended both worlds a little better, for me it sounds like just another EDM track.

The fact that some of you are complaining about this album saying that you want "old Coldplay" is silly to me. Have you heard the other songs? Oceans, O and Always In My Head sound "old Coldplay" to me. You have enough "old Coldplay" to go around but you decide to focus on this song and bash them. And why should the band make an album with all the songs sounding the same? This is how they can please all their fans (new ones and old ones.) Don't be too greedy.

This is part of Coldplay now and if you didn't know that, you haven't really been paying attention.

This is such heavenly beautiful song. I just can't stop listening to it. It liked it at first listen. Coldplay has changed, that's for sure, but still they're making beautiful music. In Serbia, people doesn't like Coldplay much. Some of my friends have never heard of them before we had lesson about them (about their concert) in English class. They like Paradise, some girls Princess of China (some thing that Rihanna made Coldplay popular), Viva la Vida, Clocks, Yellow (Viva, Yellow and Clocks because I sometimes sing chorus of these songs)... I hope this song will become big hit and they will like it. In my opinion this song was made (like Paradise) to make some people love Coldplay. To listen to this song, and than, maybe like some of their older stuff. That's just one of the reasons why they hired Avicii. A lot teenagers like EDM. To some of them, songs from AROBTTH and VLV sound very, very boring, that they can only listen about minut and a half of some song. I'm pretty sure that they wanted to make a song like this, even for Mylo. Songs from Mylo don't sound so electronic compared to A Sky Full Of Stars. But Johnny nailed it. Guitar sounds so good here. Piano at the beginning is stunning. Chris's voice is so powerful. The song is a bit overproduced, but still sounds great. Not their best song, definitely, but really nice one. There's no reason to argue. You still have Midnight, Oceans, Magic, Always In My Head and Another's Arms, and still True Love, O and Ink to come. Just enjoy the song, if you can't, listen to something else, but don't argue.

Just catching up to this thread and I want to say that it is glorious to see and hear this live. I heard it three times at LA tapings and then mysteriously, the melody left my brain until I heard it again this week. The studio version will be appreciated more when it is heard in the context of the whole album, I think.

Now that it's been almost 24 hours since it came out and we've all let it sink in, here's what i think:

I FUDGING LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an old school Coldplay fan (since 2000) but i think that this is them at their most uplifting and beautiful selves, every record has an uplifting song (Yellow, In My Place, Speed of Sound, Viva la Vida, MX had like 3 or 4) and this is Ghost Stories' uplifting, cheery song. I've got such a good feeling about this record because so far it's merging the great things we've always loved about them, the quiet love songs, the heartfelt honest lyrics and now this, their ability to make us smile and to brighten our day with a single song, that's what i think ASFOS does. I honestly don't get the hate, i don't think that anyone said 'oh great, now Coldplay is going to go all string-quartet on us' when Viva la Vida came out so why does this get so much heat? It's just one song...

After watching the live performance the song has grown on me massively. Chris's vocal and the melody are heavenly and Jonny works wonders again with his parts.

I think we'll learn to appreciate it for what it is. I've decided I certainly wont skip it when it comes to listening to the album as a whole.

The live version really grow on me, the studio version not so much, can't they replace it on the album? :sneaky:

Totally agreed. Live version sounds very cool.

Unfortunately the studio version corresponds more to what radios are broadcasting nowadays. But live version would have worked well too.