✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Sky Full Of Stars!! (Out now - See first post)

+ 4

Goodbye.

I hate ASFOS with a passion, but I'm not giving up on a band just because of 1 damn song. That's ridiculous. The whole "I miss old Coldplay. They're dead to me now." Is just ridiculous. Have they just been ignoring the rest of the album? O is what they're looking for. People fail to realize that they need at least one huge pop song to market their album. Trust me, I hate the song too, but the band didn't go anywhere. Ghost Stories is full of songs much better than this. When in doubt, blame Avicii.

*presses imaginary thanks button*

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the song itself is great. I just don't really like the production. But the melody is quite catchy. I would've loved it if Chris was just playing the piano, Johnny was the only one leading the big riff, Guy had a fat bassline and Will was smashing the drums like in ETIAW. This feels like a remix to me. But the song itself is pretty good in my opninion.

And I like the lyrics when you put them in context. "Cause in a sky, in a sky full of stars, I think I saw you", that's a nice metaphor. Simple things like "I wanna die in your arms" are great when you listen to it like it's a lovesong. Maybe your personal situation has a big influence in this, but I think it's a nice song. I just don't really like the production.

This.

What makes me slightly uneasy about this is thinking about how great it could've been. But I've decided to just enjoy it as it is.

After all it's just one song. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I first heard the song, I felt just like the first time I've listened to Midnight. I was like " wtf is that?".

But then I started to reconsider it after I heard Chris interview.

He obviously wanted to express himself, to "let it go" as it comes without carring too much about what people would think.

To this I say " go ahead man, have your fun, you've deserved it".

Plus, the song started to grow on me, especially Jonny melancolic playing at the end !

I among many first heard the song (snippets anyway) on the Zane Lowe interview. In that interview they say that there is production in there with Avicii, and as soon as you hear the first drop, you can immediately hear the parts he has done. I like Avicii and his music (I am a fan of EDM, but was sceptical hearing that it would be in this song), but I think Avicii always uses the same sounds in a lot of his hits and it is a little annoying to hear it again first time around.

But once I got past that little annoyance, and heard the song in full, I've really fallen for this one, as it has everything I like in a big Coldplay song. The piano hook, the build, the nice lyrics (albeit repeated a lot) and the close at the end. Plus, it hasn't been overproduced, which they've been guilty of doing to a lot of upbeat songs that I've liked from the last few albums, such as LiJ, HLH and CB.

All in all, I'm a big fan, as I love an uplifting song and it's great that the big single to launch the album isn't too far adrift of what Coldplay do best this time.

I among many first heard the song (snippets anyway) on the Zane Lowe interview. In that interview they say that there is production in there with Avicii, and as soon as you hear the first drop, you can immediately hear the parts he has done. I like Avicii and his music (I am a fan of EDM, but was sceptical hearing that it would be in this song), but I think Avicii always uses the same sounds in a lot of his hits and it is a little annoying to hear it again first time around.

But once I got past that little annoyance, and heard the song in full, I've really fallen for this one, as it has everything I like in a big Coldplay song. The piano hook, the build, the nice lyrics (albeit repeated a lot) and the close at the end. Plus, it hasn't been overproduced, which they've been guilty of doing to a lot of upbeat songs that I've liked from the last few albums, such as LiJ, HLH and CB.

All in all, I'm a big fan, as I love an uplifting song and it's great that the big single to launch the album isn't too far adrift of what Coldplay do best this time.

Why do you find Lovers In Japan over produced?

This.

What makes me slightly uneasy about this is thinking about how great it could've been. But I've decided to just enjoy it as it is.

After all it's just one song. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed!

I feel that if the studio version was produced more similarly as the love version on Jools Holland, it would have been better-- oh well! Still enjoy the song

I am quite amazed that 65% gave this song a 8-10 rating. I guess most people are quite young on this forum? So hmm maybe I'm just getting too old lol! I've been listening to them for a long time and they are confusing me since MX. With getting older, I feel my taste in music has been getting better, but Coldplay seems to be making more and more simple music for younger generations. Years back they were my 'proper music band'. That feeling is kind of slipping away (I'm sorry!) the more tracks they are making like Paradise, POC and this one.

They really have changed, they used to be a band that disliked most of the crap music in the charts, they wanted to bring something better. Now Chris Martin is talking about Justin Bieber :o, Katy Perry, One direction etc .

These 'hittracks' are also not exactly considered as Coldplay classics, so I wonder if they still want to write a song like Clocks/Yellow/Viva that is just so memorable, 25 years from now on still are big favourites from many people. Appearing in top 2000 charts etc.

Also I'm wondering when he says: 'some people will like it, some people wont'. So, what about those people that have been buying all the albums, went to concerts and still are supporting the band.. does he really think that an older fan will like a Coldplay with a housebeat..

Everytime I went to a concert of them I loved the diversity of ages of the people, 18 year old, many 20s, 30s, and there would be 40/50 year olds here and there as well (like my mum!). I'm afraid the older generation will not be so excited anymore to go, thinking Coldplays concerts are turning into dance party's.

Now, this song: I don't listen to EDM, bombastic house beats is something I just don't really like. So it sounds like another top 40 house/dance song to me which I would skip usually when it comes on the radio. But, I do (secretly) like every teardrop. So, i do like these songs that just give you great energy, this ultimate feeling of happiness.

But I believe they could have still made this song that 'happy', without this avicii, without these house synths whatever they are called. Its Jonny's guitar at the end that gives me the thrills, but it's avicii production that annoys me. And especially on this more restraint sounding album, how does this song fit. Same with Princess of china, didn't understand what the song was doing on the album.

Oh well, I hope this is again, like POC a one off thing. I'm glad that there are tracks like oceans and O on this album. So it's just the big hitsingles that aren't for me anymore. I hope one day they'll make a hitsingle that is not typical top 40 music, but that's unique, with a more pure non overproduced sound, real piano etc... which then will become a real Coldplay classic :)

I think the song itself is great. I just don't really like the production. But the melody is quite catchy. I would've loved it if Chris was just playing the piano, Johnny was the only one leading the big riff, Guy had a fat bassline and Will was smashing the drums like in ETIAW. This feels like a remix to me. But the song itself is pretty good in my opninion.

And I like the lyrics when you put them in context. "Cause in a sky, in a sky full of stars, I think I saw you", that's a nice metaphor. Simple things like "I wanna die in your arms" are great when you listen to it like it's a lovesong. Maybe your personal situation has a big influence in this, but I think it's a nice song. I just don't really like the production.

This - indeed the live version has a bigger Jonny focus. (Though it's also weird how some of the guitar seems to be on a backing track near the end)

Indeed, I don't think this track is overproduced at all (that would suggest too much crap going on at once). Rather it's just produced in a way not everyone agrees with.

My only gripe is that Jonny's guitar riff doesn't grow at the end as much as it could, the way songs like HLH, ETIAW grow.

Why do you find Lovers In Japan over produced?

I prefer it live, as you can hear the individual instruments better, whereas they get lost a bit on the record. Don't get me wrong, I love the song, possibly my favourite, and it's not as bad in that sense as the more recent songs, but it's one of those songs that sounds better live, much like Charlie Brown or Paradise.

I really love the song and im not much of a big EDM fan. I think that now they are releasing and doing more of this type of music is because they arent scared and they feel really free to experiment with music. It pisses me off when people say that they do this cause of the money but i believe Chris when he says hes a big fan of pop music and thats why Coldplay has more songs along those lines....not so much because of the money like a lot of people say. No idea of that made sense lol

So I've been listening to the clips we have all day and then I went back to ASFOS.....jees,it made me want to hit my head off a wall. O, Always in my Head, Oceans are some of the best songs Coldplay have done for years and then they release ASFOS. The thing is, it has a catchy enough piano hook, it just goes nowhere, so repetitive and dull. Sad.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Its so upbeat and energetic, it offers something different and adds to the variety of the album imo bar Ink, depending how it turns out.

My favourite parts of the song at the moment are the fade at the start of the track with the piano hook and Jonny's Where the Streets Have No Name esque outro :D

I am quite amazed that 65% gave this song a 8-10 rating. I guess most people are quite young on this forum? So hmm maybe I'm just getting too old lol! I've been listening to them for a long time and they are confusing me since MX. With getting older, I feel my taste in music has been getting better, but Coldplay seems to be making more and more simple music for younger generations. Years back they were my 'proper music band'. That feeling is kind of slipping away (I'm sorry!) the more tracks they are making like Paradise, POC and this one.

They really have changed, they used to be a band that disliked most of the crap music in the charts, they wanted to bring something better. Now Chris Martin is talking about Justin Bieber :o, Katy Perry, One direction etc .

These 'hittracks' are also not exactly considered as Coldplay classics, so I wonder if they still want to write a song like Clocks/Yellow/Viva that is just so memorable, 25 years from now on still are big favourites from many people. Appearing in top 2000 charts etc.

Also I'm wondering when he says: 'some people will like it, some people wont'. So, what about those people that have been buying all the albums, went to concerts and still are supporting the band.. does he really think that an older fan will like a Coldplay with a housebeat..

Everytime I went to a concert of them I loved the diversity of ages of the people, 18 year old, many 20s, 30s, and there would be 40/50 year olds here and there as well (like my mum!). I'm afraid the older generation will not be so excited anymore to go, thinking Coldplays concerts are turning into dance party's.

1000% agree! for several years coldplay have been "my band" but now they are simple and ordinary. if i remeber right justin timberlake once wanted to work with coldplay but chris martin declined because in his eyes timberlake makes anything else but real music. and now with nearly tears in my eyes i have to listen to simple, ordinary, predicatble, always the same kind of "music". i'm really sade about that.

1000% agree! for several years coldplay have been "my band" but now they are simple and ordinary. if i remeber right justin timberlake once wanted to work with coldplay but chris martin declined because in his eyes timberlake makes anything else but real music. and now with nearly tears in my eyes i have to listen to simple, ordinary, predicatble, always the same kind of "music". i'm really sade about that.

This album is as diverse as they come. O, Oceans, and probably Ink will be for old Coldplayers. Magic, ASFOS, and maybe True Love for new Coldplayers. And then AIMH is just awesome. And in the end, many will dislike one or two songs, but to say Coldplay is making music for just young people is absurd.

This album is as diverse as they come. O, Oceans, and probably Ink will be for old Coldplayers. Magic, ASFOS, and maybe True Love for new Coldplayers. And then AIMH is just awesome. And in the end, many will dislike one or two songs, but to say Coldplay is making music for just young people is absurd.

totally agree.

Don't like it at all.

I thought Mylo moved away from classic Coldplay and it seems they've continued on the same path with this album. I know he loves pop music but the lyrics on the last album and now this one are so simplistic. I appreciate bands have and want to change and grow but I don't see going from what Coldplay was to what ASFOS is as a progression. Boring lyrics to a dance beat? No thanks...