✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A Sky Full Of Stars!! (Out now - See first post)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld

I will say this now. This song will sound a lot more epic and worthy in the context of the album.

Also I really love the last minute and a half and especially the last 20-30 seconds with Jonny's beautiful twinkly guitar. I'm getting a melancholic mixed with deja vu atmosphere from this album.

I will say this now. This song will sound a lot more epic and worthy in the context of the album.

Also I really love the last minute and a half and especially the last 20-30 seconds with Jonny's beautiful twinkly guitar. I'm getting a melancholic mixed with deja vu atmosphere from this album.

Yeah! I imagine Magic as the second song on the album, it does sound like a second song to be honest. And ASFOS will be built upto, and it will sound amazing. I can't wait, for both the album and the tour :)

That said, I didn't really like the live performance in Later... At times, it seems like no one is doing anything at all (except for Chris singing). I don't understand much about music or about playing it live, but it seems to be of little point to perform a song and use so much backing tracks, specially for stuff that you *can* play live, for example, the keyboard or piano in ASFOS. Chris probably dismissed playing it to get the chance to dance around, but perhaps it's worth sitting at the piano and have a more organic sound rather than jump around to pre-recorded sounds? Maybe priority should be set at music rather than hopping up and down (with the extra potential of losing your breath and also ruining the vocal performance)?

THIS + Chris sang it really well, much better than the way he sings other up beat songs like Viva and ETIAW (which is a total disaster)

After listening to it more than 20 x, the last minute and an half is really the only part I like, but I respect people who enjoy it. It's a fun song to dance to.

Hi,

now that ASFOS has been released officially, does anybody have the original video recording of the live performance in Cologne?

I think it has not been reuploaded to youtube, so I would be very happy if someone could send me a download link.

Thank you in advance :)

Guest howyousawtheworld
THIS + Chris sang it really well, much better than the way he sings other up beat songs like Viva and ETIAW (which is a total disaster)

I get irritated when watching or listening to performances of those songs. Viva La Vida especially, where he just mucks up by by breathlessly shouting/speaking the lyrics down the microphone while running about like he's on ecstasy. It's not the most challenging songs to sing so to not really make an effort (bar the version on LRLRLR) would probably mean that I would leave it out of my ideal Coldplay live setlist.

T'is true! I think he managed the higher notes quite well and the transition from a lower register to a higher one very well too (not sure if I'm using the terms correctly).

After listening to it more than 20 x, the last minute and an half is really the only part I like, but I respect people who enjoy it. It's a fun song to dance to.

I am right with you. I find the last minute and a half to have the most audible and interesting instrumentation, and I am excited to see how it builds into O.

If I were to jump into any other part of this song (without Chris' voice) I would honestly not have a clue who the artist was: Avicii? Rihanna? Any other radio chart topper? I have tried really hard to like this song and listened to it over 20 times, but it still doesn't feel distinctly Coldplay to me.

Truly I have tried really hard to get into this song, but for some reason, which scares me, it won't stick in my head. Of all the songs swimming around my head, Coldplay usually stands out, but this one just blends in with everything else on the radio. Honestly feels like Avicii got the final say, and not the band. I know this isn't true, but that is how it feels. I wish they used a live instrumental version for the studio. The song sounded great on Jools--Will's fast drumming, Guys bassline, Jonny's sparkling notes (the only thing that is audible in the studio.)

+ 4

Goodbye.

I hate ASFOS with a passion, but I'm not giving up on a band just because of 1 damn song. That's ridiculous. The whole "I miss old Coldplay. They're dead to me now." Is just ridiculous. Have they just been ignoring the rest of the album? O is what they're looking for. People fail to realize that they need at least one huge pop song to market their album. Trust me, I hate the song too, but the band didn't go anywhere. Ghost Stories is full of songs much better than this. When in doubt, blame Avicii.

+ 4

Goodbye.

I hate ASFOS with a passion, but I'm not giving up on a band just because of 1 damn song. That's ridiculous. The whole "I miss old Coldplay. They're dead to me now." Is just ridiculous. Have they just been ignoring the rest of the album? O is what they're looking for. People fail to realize that they need at least one huge pop song to market their album. Trust me, I hate the song too, but the band didn't go anywhere. Ghost Stories is full of songs much better than this. When in doubt, blame Avicii.

well said!

I think the song itself is great. I just don't really like the production. But the melody is quite catchy. I would've loved it if Chris was just playing the piano, Johnny was the only one leading the big riff, Guy had a fat bassline and Will was smashing the drums like in ETIAW. This feels like a remix to me. But the song itself is pretty good in my opninion.

And I like the lyrics when you put them in context. "Cause in a sky, in a sky full of stars, I think I saw you", that's a nice metaphor. Simple things like "I wanna die in your arms" are great when you listen to it like it's a lovesong. Maybe your personal situation has a big influence in this, but I think it's a nice song. I just don't really like the production.