✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You must be a master at interpreting albums. I would have never done it as concisely as you did, or even had the same interpretation. Your interpretation is concise, and is actually make sense! Wonderful interpretation. 5 stars. :D

I also am glad that I'm not the only person who thinks this has a great flow.

Well thanks! :D I try to understand the story of the every album, i'm listening. This is what helps me to make sense of the music. There is a reason why songs sound like they sound and you know immediately when the album was meant be cinematic and have a message. A Head Full of Dreams is one of these. A sign of a good album for me is when it continuously throughout the album manages to create a movie scene in front of me.

But i accept that music is very difficult to interpret, and that's where the fun is for me. For every other piece of art the interpretation can be more concrete.

I am sitting here still fascinated by the popular opinion that an album can seem bad primarily because of the sound quality.

There's not really anything wrong with the sound quality on AHFOD if that's what you're referring to?

Maybe some recording or production aspects are different from other CP albums but that's not the same thing.

Head full of dreams: 8/10

Whoaa, such excitement here! Feelyfeelgoodness. It's not a genius track or anything and the whoooaahs sound a bit like a trick here. But ok, the song apparently needed it. Also good news: it's sounds great live, CM's vocals sounding strong and powerful.

Birds: 9/10

Agree with many: the best track. Interesting and it's the least pop/mainstream etc. Unlike many other songs, not predictable. Immediately wanted to hear it again. Fine with the production/instrumentation.

Hymn FTW.: 1/10

OMG. Done with it, like POC. Feeling drunk and high? Popular type of 'cool' music that I just can't stand. Too sensational/I'm a hit!/in your face music.

Everglow 6/10:

Gives me an Up in flames feel, but find it a bit better. Especially at the end. To be honest, do not feel excited to listen to it again. CM can make much ballads and if it would only sound more raw/organic..

Adventure of a lifetime: 8/10

Happy happy. Like it more than I thought I would. The type of popular radio song that I do enjoy. It has this funky groove and guitar riff which is just so infectious.

Fun: 5/10

Oh such nice relaxing guitar sounds.. I thought at first, but can that heartbeat boom boom just go away? What a simple pretictable melody line. If I was 10 years younger I would've loved it. Can be a guilty pleasure, but ehm no sorry too sweet and sugary!

Army of one 4/10:

ZZZZ, predictable. I could write this, have melody's like this in my head. I don't get it, how they can find this album material.

x marks: 0/10!

This is exactly Mat Kearneys voice! For the rest: is this a joke? :shocked2:Thought POC was the worst. Boem boem boem? Vengaboys? Maybe CM really feels he's getting younger. Midlife? First singing about feeling drunk and high and now this. The tracks makes me feel like: Is this really coldplay and do I really want to spend me money on this?

Amazing day 7/10: Better ballad than Everglow. Loved the version from the band 'the Racer'. Made me realise Chris Martin still writes a proper ballad. The production makes it this very feelyvibegoody song. Where did Guy's bass go to?

Up&Up 6/10:

Dissapointment here. Live it was sounding good with the piano instrumentation and now its so empty until the guitar solos. And if they would just lose that low beat that's giving me headaches by now.. Song is not exactly original, so I cant say it's great anyway, but it could be a good finale song if recorded completely in a traditional way that fits the song.

Nothing wrong with the in between tracks, but they are just in between things. Not going to pay much attention to it. I like Kaleidoscope.

Wish this album would be full with Birds, a few head full of dreams and adventures. I've accepted that Coldplay doesnt make top quality albums anymore. The band now mostly about this very feelgood vibe which comes alive even more in their concerts.

I will forever be hoping for something more raw/alternative/experimental etc, but I understand the idea of this album. The problem is that many songs could've been better, same story with ghost stories. Songs like Fun, army of one, everglow and up&up give me boyband vibes. I'm not 18 anymore, and I'm listening to so many great bands and songwriters. Come on CM, these songs are far too simple. And then for the 3rd time (MX/GS same story) we have the production: most of the songs would benefit so much if they would just be recorded with pure instruments without all the polish.

Sorry, but I find MX and GS better than this album. Won't buy a physical copy, just the tracks that I like in itunes. Too many simple songs, and 2 NOjustNO songs. After 3 albums with too much glossy/polished production: it really is time for something new! An album that doesnt have this temporary 'popular producers from now' sound. And will they ever write another real classic?

Message for member from the band 'The Racer': please cover the whole album! That would be amazing.

Dead on.

There's not really anything wrong with the sound quality on AHFOD if that's what you're referring to?

Maybe some recording or production aspects are different from other CP albums but that's not the same thing.

I am referring to the quality of the leak. some people believe that they will like the songs more if they hear them in a proper, high quality. Ridiculous and self-deceiving. If a song is bad I don't hate it cause of bad quality, and if I love a song I will love it no matter if it's 'recorded with potato' quality.

It seems I spoke too soon the other day with saying this, but thank you once again to Sparky and the mods for doing a great job and getting the forums up and running again. Album leaks are always an interesting time around here :nice:

-----

I managed to get some of my thoughts posted just before the forums went down again after the link. I've only listened to the album once the morning it leaked but it seems I share a similar opinion with lots of others on Up&Up

-Freaking great concept for a track. Lyrical journey is top notch. Buildup is fantastic. Two guitar solos and a total of 6+ minutes--it's hard to go wrong with that.

So WHY THE FREAKING HECK DID THEY PRODUCE IT THE WAY THEY DID?! Is it because Stargate has zero rock producing experience prior to this? Is it because the band themselves wanted it to be as stripped back as it was? What happened? Even before I was halfway through the album I was itching for it to get to Up&Up because the way it had been described made it sound like it could knock ARoBttH off the top of my favorite song list.

Who the heck would muffle a guitar solo that's supposed to be the climax of a song? What happened to the piano? Is it just that the leak I listened to wasn't the best quality? Once Friday rolls around will my mind change?

In short, really disappointed. The live version from the TIDAL concert made my top 5 favorite Coldplay song list, but the studio version just seems so empty . . . doesn't come close to emulating that energy and buildup. :disappointed:

I am referring to the quality of the leak. some people believe that they will like the songs more if they hear them in a proper, high quality. Ridiculous and self-deceiving.

maybe they are expecting an analog no quality loose vinyl version, to hear chris doing a cof in second 1:30 in X marks the spot (?). Then it will be a great song. (?)

It seems I spoke too soon the other day with saying this, but thank you once again to Sparky and the mods for doing a great job and getting the forums up and running again. Album leaks are always an interesting time around here :nice:

-----

I managed to get some of my thoughts posted just before the forums went down again after the link. I've only listened to the album once the morning it leaked but it seems I share a similar opinion with lots of others on Up&Up

-Freaking great concept for a track. Lyrical journey is top notch. Buildup is fantastic. Two guitar solos and a total of 6+ minutes--it's hard to go wrong with that.

So WHY THE FREAKING HECK DID THEY PRODUCE IT THE WAY THEY DID?! Is it because Stargate has zero rock producing experience prior to this? Is it because the band themselves wanted it to be as stripped back as it was? What happened? Even before I was halfway through the album I was itching for it to get to Up&Up because the way it had been described made it sound like it could knock ARoBttH off the top of my favorite song list.

Who the heck would muffle a guitar solo that's supposed to be the climax of a song? What happened to the piano? Is it just that the leak I listened to wasn't the best quality? Once Friday rolls around will my mind change?

In short, really disappointed. The live version from the TIDAL concert made my top 5 favorite Coldplay song list, but the studio version just seems so empty . . . doesn't come close to emulating that energy and buildup. :disappointed:

Up & Up is a great song ruined by its production.

What's troubling is that its one of the better songs on a very poor album.

I'm very sad at this point listening to it.

Amazing Day is so clichéd and sounds like a horrible Christmas song, I feel like I've heard Everglow 100 times before. Fun is underwhelming with terrible production,i could go on and on.

^ Agreed, they never play Sparks or Warning Sign or Amsterdam and they are great, beautiful songs. I see them playing Everglow and maybe Birds (it could replace GPASUYF as the rockier song on the setlist)

Not consistantly I agree but they played sparks 2 weeks ago in LA and Warning Sign I remember hearing in a Holland during the MX tour :) Amsterdam should always be in the setlist.

*clicks repeat song* Everglow

would anyone like to sum up the general reaction to AFHOD for me. i dont have the time to read thru all these pages

It's very difficult because we're saying very different things.

The thing I think the most of us agree with is that production is very bad

hmmmm unfortunate to see anyone disliking this album. i think it's beautiful. i think it's obvious that Chris is out of his prime when it comes to song writing, but i love how much the rest of the band is shining here.

let me quickly just say that Birds was the nicest little surprise. i think its one of their best songs ever. it reminds me of prospekts march ep

hmmmm unfortunate to see anyone disliking this album. i think it's beautiful. i think it's obvious that Chris is out of his prime when it comes to song writing, but i love how much the rest of the band is shining here.

let me quickly just say that Birds was the nicest little surprise. i think its one of their best songs ever. it reminds me of prospekts march ep

Which is very strange because I think the album is very, very poor I don't know how anyone could see it as anything else.

I guess it's all personal preference at the end of the day.

after hear the disc 10 times i can say this:

this disc, is different from all coldplay albums in two basic thing: identity and coherence. When you hear any (not AHFOD) album of coldplay you will find a combination of: coldplay identity and the thing that they wanna try. And a coherence or history in all his tracks.

In this album, its hard for me find that, you have several (4/11, HFTW, X Marks the spots, kaleidoscpoe, army of one) songs that it doesn't have sense with the others songs (without counting color spectrum, is just an interlude you cannot evaluate that) that doesn't have any sense. For example you can hate GS (underrated disc) or MX, but they have that properties

This happened to me one time, with princess of china, i think it doesn't belongs to MX, despite being a good pop song, but i doesn't make sense inside the album, just comercial purposes.

also i read that somebody said 'Yellow' is a pop song... what the hell? its structure in drum, bass, guitar is found a lot in 'Alternative Rock' songs from 70' onwards, also in "Folk rock" songs... but no pop songs, maybe you consider pop because it sold a lot, but in a musical structure is not...

there's a lot influence of try to sell more than produce something related to them... this is the worst coldplay album at this moment.

the good news, is despite being the worst album, it have several amazing songs.

I am referring to the quality of the leak. some people believe that they will like the songs more if they hear them in a proper' date=' high quality. Ridiculous and self-deceiving. If a song is bad I don't hate it cause of bad quality, and if I love a song I will love it no matter if it's 'recorded with potato' quality.[/quote']

To be honest, I agree. "A View From The Top" is the perfect example of this. It's the most fuzziest potato soundcheck recorded-through-the-wall and in the pocket quality you could imagine, but many people still love it and are mad at Coldplay for being perfectionists and not releasing it. :P

well it is a leaked version so... lets wait for a sec for the official copies to roll out lol

and if by production some people mean the instrumentals then i really disagree there. Amazing Day is stunning.. gorgeous. Birds is so peppy. The little intro to AHFOD gives me disco fever. cmon peeps

To be honest, I agree. "A View From The Top" is the perfect example of this. It's the most fuzziest potato soundcheck recorded-through-the-wall and in the pocket quality you could imagine, but many people still love it and are mad at Coldplay for being perfectionists and not releasing it. :P

The Viva Demos aren't the best quality and they are just piano but I can't believe that they haven't released those songs yet.

-----

EXACTLY. This echo's my thoughts.

I only think the production is "bad" (no, it's more than bad, it's terrible) on Up&Up, Such a gorgeous album closer, RUINED by electronic drums and poor productions. They need to have that ride cymbal in there during the sing-along, those stupid electronic drums take away the energy. The ride cymbal is so powerful, energetic, and rich, and that should be used as it was in the live version, but noooooooo. Just ruin the song.

Everglow is a great ballad, that got slightly reduced by clean production and electronic drums. Not completely shredded, but it'd have been better with a Oldplay production and real drums. It suits that vibe, and it's a pretty nice ballad with the newer production and electronic drums but it's not as magical as it could have been (but I still find it pretty magical).

EXACTLY. This echo's my thoughts.

I only think the production is "bad" (no, it's more than bad, it's terrible) on Up&Up, Such a gorgeous album closer, RUINED by electronic drums and poor productions. They need to have that ride cymbal in there during the sing-along, those stupid electronic drums take away the energy. The ride cymbal is so powerful, energetic, and rich, and that should be used as it was in the live version, but noooooooo. Just ruin the song.

Everglow is a great ballad, that got slightly reduced by clean production and electronic drums. Not completely shredded, but it'd have been better with a Oldplay production and real drums. It suits that vibe, and it's a pretty nice ballad with the newer production and electronic drums but it's not as magical as it could have been (but I still find it pretty magical).

What's the deal with the Fun production also? It sounds awful like sugar coated crap. The vocal arrangement is horrible too. Makes me wince when I hear it.

Hey guys, I've been following this thread for a while and just haven't really posted anything. Personally, I love the album and think it's one of their best since Viva but do agree that production has really ruined the thing. I'm trying to look past it though and see the songs for what they really are and find depth in them even though some of them sound like Stargate and CM. Do you guys detect the use of heavier auto-tuning? I was under the impression Chris didn't use any auto-tuning but it sounds extremely prevalent on Army of One...

well it is a leaked version so... lets wait for a sec for the official copies to roll out lol

and if by production some people mean the instrumentals then i really disagree there. Amazing Day is stunning.. gorgeous. Birds is so peppy. The little intro to AHFOD gives me disco fever. cmon peeps

You could be right, someone could have tweaked with the leak to make it sound worse and troll us all. Maybe the REAL Up&Up is their 3rd best album closer in my eyes where it does have the ride cymbal in the singalongs and the electronic drums are taken out of the piano in the beginning. Maybe they did make the guitar solos front and center like they're supposed to be. But the fact is, Stargate are a pop producers, and this is their first time working with a predominately alt-rock band. So the production kind of makes sense to suck in some areas in a way. Which is bad news. But hopefully Stargate is actually better than that.

The Viva Demos aren't the best quality and they are just piano but I can't believe that they haven't released those songs yet.

I completely agree! There are definetely some melodic elements from the demo's that made it's way into some other song on the final album albeit being much poppier but I really hope they release them or something some time soon.

You know what i find interesting about the Viva era? It has SOOO MUCH CONTENT! I mean, it's definetely the biggest and most open era of Coldplay. After the first album, there's actually room for ANOTHER 2 album's worth of content just from the demos and the EP, and the unreleased songs! It's crazy how much stuff got through there!

What's the deal with the Fun production also? It sounds awful like sugar coated crap. The vocal arrangement is horrible too. Makes me wince when I hear it.

I must agree that the production in some parts sounds too clean but I honestly think as a whole both of those things are completely fine! I like Fun. However, it annoys me that the vocals at the end are blocked a bit...