✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everglow

Coeurli

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this song a lot! I know people are complaining about production...but honestly this is one of the sparsest Coldplay tracks in terms of extra instruments/stuff. The only discernible things (that would end up on a backing track) are the sonar noise and the "heyyy" vocal sample. Everything else is largely happening by voice, piano, guitar, bass, and drums. Someone implied in a different thread that this song has strings...but I don't hear them. IMO this song is very AROBTTH by this definition. Note also, in terms of "overproduction", that the studio versions of the Scientist and Trouble have piano, electric guitar, and acoustic guitar all happening at the same time. The end of Amsterdam has 2 electric guitar lines AND piano. All that is to say....some of early Coldplay material is technically more layered than what we're getting in this song.

Some thoughts/impressions:

-What a catchy piano line.

-The chord progression is a little generic...kind of a mishmash of the Hardest Part, ASFOS in particular.

-The guitar bits are sooooooo cool but a little bit quiet. :( The interlude in the middle of the 1st verse and after the 1st chorus are really cool atmospheric things where you feel like you're just getting washed in pianoand guitar.

-The guitar after the second chorus is HUGE. First there's a really moving e-bow part followed by a short-lived but amazing guitar solo that has a really interesting effect (not sure if backwards guitar or just very reverby).

-The lyrics seem pretty good. I haven't read them, but there seems to be neat imagery. The only complaint I have is that Chris used the word "special" and words that rhyme with it, but those words don't really sound good when you sing them coz there's this ugly "UHL" sound.

-I actually like Chris's vocals a lot on this. The scratchiness doesn't seem overwhelming at all and I feel like I really hear the emotion. Kind of like in ASFOS where Chris is doing some really cool vocal stuff that's full of passion.

-The bassline is relatively simple but has a cool meatiness. Reminds me of Miracles in a nice way.

-The drums subtly transition into acoustic drums during the louder part of the song....kind of cool IMO! In that sense there's a musical representation of the transition from GS's night to AHFOD's light.

This song reminds me so much of a cross between Up In Flames and The Hardest Part. Mostly Jonny's guitar bits from The Hardest Part!

Yeah! That really big e-bowy part is very X&Y. The transition to the first chorus is super similar to Up in Flames' beat drop. And the guitar/piano interplay just after the first chorus is very similar to the instrumental guitar-piano call and response bit in All Your Friends.

Guest diogo_sg
Wait, when was this?

Must be a part of the album release party that was recorded weeks ago and will be streamed on Thursday (or Friday, depending on where you live) on Yahoo.

Guest diogo_sg
As far as i know this wasnt at the album release party - but at the soundcheck of the TIDAL X show - at the Belasco Theater. thus no audience.

Makes sense. But isn't the album release party at the Belasco Theater as well?

btw. I just honestly think this "stripped down" live version sounds soooo much better than the studio version.

it's exactely what the album lacks, production wise - this raw, genuine, honest, simple sound... the production (stargate) just feels like a ways tooo sticky icing on a delicious cake and therefore makeing the whole cake a bit less enjoyable in some ways... :/

even though in general i'm not that much a fan of coldplay live albums (especially the GS live album, because the arrangements basically sounded almost as on the studio CD...), but here i really hope they're gonna record a live album! with this kind of sound and arrangements

Makes sense. But isn't the album release party at the Belasco Theater as well?

not sure actually - wasn't the release party recorded somewhere in LA (would make sense since iHeart Radio - who are hosting/airing it - are based in LA) ?

Anyways, I'm still pretty sure this was filmed during a soundcheck or rehearsal, not only because no audience can be heard (clapping and stuff), but also because there's nothing going on with the lights (no light show, etc...)

I love this song a lot! I know people are complaining about production...but honestly this is one of the sparsest Coldplay tracks in terms of extra instruments/stuff. The only discernible things (that would end up on a backing track) are the sonar noise and the "heyyy" vocal sample. Everything else is largely happening by voice, piano, guitar, bass, and drums. Someone implied in a different thread that this song has strings...but I don't hear them. IMO this song is very AROBTTH by this definition. Note also, in terms of "overproduction", that the studio versions of the Scientist and Trouble have piano, electric guitar, and acoustic guitar all happening at the same time. The end of Amsterdam has 2 electric guitar lines AND piano. All that is to say....some of early Coldplay material is technically more layered than what we're getting in this song.

Some thoughts/impressions:

-What a catchy piano line.

-The chord progression is a little generic...kind of a mishmash of the Hardest Part, ASFOS in particular.

-The guitar bits are sooooooo cool but a little bit quiet. :( The interlude in the middle of the 1st verse and after the 1st chorus are really cool atmospheric things where you feel like you're just getting washed in pianoand guitar.

-The guitar after the second chorus is HUGE. First there's a really moving e-bow part followed by a short-lived but amazing guitar solo that has a really interesting effect (not sure if backwards guitar or just very reverby).

-The lyrics seem pretty good. I haven't read them, but there seems to be neat imagery. The only complaint I have is that Chris used the word "special" and words that rhyme with it, but those words don't really sound good when you sing them coz there's this ugly "UHL" sound.

-I actually like Chris's vocals a lot on this. The scratchiness doesn't seem overwhelming at all and I feel like I really hear the emotion. Kind of like in ASFOS where Chris is doing some really cool vocal stuff that's full of passion.

-The bassline is relatively simple but has a cool meatiness. Reminds me of Miracles in a nice way.

-The drums subtly transition into acoustic drums during the louder part of the song....kind of cool IMO! In that sense there's a musical representation of the transition from GS's night to AHFOD's light.

Yeah! That really big e-bowy part is very X&Y. The transition to the first chorus is super similar to Up in Flames' beat drop. And the guitar/piano interplay just after the first chorus is very similar to the instrumental guitar-piano call and response bit in All Your Friends.

I always find your posts very musically intelligent. I worked out the chords on the guitar. Simple, but I like it.

The live version is really better than the album version. Apart from that, I find it deplorable that the great part "When I'm cooold coooooooold oh when I'm cold cuuuuuuuoooold"is buried in this boring Shania Twain style pop ballad. Could have made so much more of it.

Ok, I might need to specify what I mean with the 'production', in my opinion this term includes more than just how many instruments being used, but also the arrangement, mixing, mastering, the way certain instruments are being played, etc. Cause from that point of view you're absolutely right, there definitely arent too many instrumens being used - but it's more a question of the mix here. For my taste, it just sounds a bit too shimmery, glimmery... Like there was too much make-up on a face. And this is imo related a lot to the mix, i.e. where and how you use reverbs and delays, EQ, etc...

they posted the live version on their youtube today, i really prefer the live one over the studio one. so much more guitar!

I agree! It's more full, espacially at the end.

Nice song, I immediately liked it, think that's because of the well known chord progression Am, F, C, G. (Hint: Sing 9 crimes by Damien Rice over it haha).

But it gets even better the more I listen to it.