✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everglow

Coeurli

I feel bad for you people who struggle to enjoy all of Coldplay's work. Even Another's Arms, Ink, A Whisper, Up In Flames, etc. - my least favorite coldplay songs - I still enjoy and think are decent. You guys are all analyzing their new songs as if they are some laboratory experiment or something. Personally, I just focus on what connects with me, what I find moving. And you know what..Coldplay has earned my respect. They've released so much brilliant material, I applaud them for going the directions they want musically. They deserve to be able to make what they want. Pop collaboration with Rihanna? Go for it guys. EDM collaboration with Avicii? Do it. R&B song with Beyonce? Hell yeah!!They're allowed to make music that they like. They don't make music exclusively to please all of you who refuse to enjoy anything after VLV.

Everglow is a very emotional song, executed better than most songs from Ghost Stories. I know half of you would rather them release Clocks Remix #7, and that's too bad for you man. Oh well. I'll go on enjoying all this superb, creative music Coldplay is now creating. I'm sorry for you guys. I'm really sorry.

Chill out bro.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont come on here a lot and have never even heard of the these oldplay, goldplay, newplay??... terms. So as a relative outsider I am kind of in shock to come back on this forum and hear that there are actually (many!!!) people who are in agreement that coldplay's latest releases have been on par with the quality and ingenuity of their earlier music up to Viva. This barely even seems subjective. I live for new Coldplay music and like someone in here nicely put, every release is another chance, I am always so hopeful ... but the bright spots have been so few and far between from Mylo on, and it is really very sad.

I came in this thread in particular because after 2 listens to the album, I'm hearing Everglow having some potential in it but still is just lacking in so many ways. Whoever said it sounds like a generic Shania Twain song, thanks for making me laugh and cry at the same time. Too true. And to think this is the one that stands out to me on the whole album! I would have called you a liar if you played this music for me during the rush of blood era, and told me it was coldplay!

I'll still keep listening though, and of course can't wait for the tour next year. The Coldplay experience is still one of the most amazing things, and that's exactly what makes it such a shame .... maybe next album!!

i dont come on here a lot and have never even heard of the these oldplay, goldplay, newplay??... terms. So as a relative outsider I am kind of in shock to come back on this forum and hear that there are actually (many!!!) people who are in agreement that coldplay's latest releases have been on par with the quality and ingenuity of their earlier music up to Viva. This barely even seems subjective. I live for new Coldplay music and like someone in here nicely put, every release is another chance, I am always so hopeful ... but the bright spots have been so few and far between from Mylo on, and it is really very sad.

I came in this thread in particular because after 2 listens to the album, I'm hearing Everglow having some potential in it but still is just lacking in so many ways. Whoever said it sounds like a generic Shania Twain song, thanks for making me laugh and cry at the same time. Too true. And to think this is the one that stands out to me on the whole album! I would have called you a liar if you played this music for me during the rush of blood era, and told me it was coldplay!

I'll still keep listening though, and of course can't wait for the tour next year. The Coldplay experience is still one of the most amazing things, and that's exactly what makes it such a shame .... maybe next album!!

Totally agree.

Guest kmm1482

I was listening to old b-sides the other day like Crests of Waves, 1.36, I Ran Away, and Things I Don't Understand and I kept thinking "Man, I'd do anything to hear that sound again". And yes, I know I know, bands evolve and their sound changes. It WOULD be boring to hear the same exact sound over and over again, but I miss the days where their influences were Echo and the Bunnymen, Johnny Cash, Jeff Buckley and early Radiohead and not Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber.

I was listening to old b-sides the other day like Crests of Waves, 1.36, I Ran Away, and Things I Don't Understand and I kept thinking "Man, I'd do anything to hear that sound again". And yes, I know I know, bands evolve and their sound changes. It WOULD be boring to hear the same exact sound over and over again, but I miss the days where their influences were Echo and the Funnymen, Johnny Cash, Jeff Buckley and early Radiohead and not Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber.

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

But yes you are right. He needs to listen the better musicians. Not that they are bad, but I mean Jeff buckley!!!

Guest kmm1482
But yes you are right. He needs to listen the better musicians. Not that they are bad, but I mean Jeff buckley!!!

Oh geez! Stupid autocorrect :dozey:

I am really liking this one. :) It's no Oldplay, but it reminds me of GS, MX, and X&Y. I think of this song as a combination of Magic, Up In Flames, and Proof. Except this song is better than all three for me. My opinion of it will inevitably change over time but right now I am enjoying it.

First listen I thought it was boring as hell.... but now I can't stop playing it. One of my favourite Coldplay songs actually. So far I have really liked all the songs I've listened to (avoiding the leak). I still have high expectations for the album.

I really like that it has a classic late '80s - early '90s epic ballad feel to it... I really loved that era's style, which had beautiful emotional voice (usually female) + piano accompaniment / beautiful other single instrument line + slow tempo with quietness eventually giving way to a swelling of sound... Think Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Roxette, or more dramatically G&R doing November Rain / Estranged (although CM will need a few more break-ups and rock 'n' roll experiences before he'll ever develop that bitterness :laugh3: JB would however confidently deliver that guitar line :sneaky: - one can only dream)...

:rolleyes: Cheesy I know, but still it has all my early familiar childhood memories... Am I the only one that finds comfort and familiarity in their new styles of songs? I think they were going for a combination of nostalgia and their own take of all the genres from their childhood / early musical influences with this album - the unavoidable hits that the parents played on the radio when one was still a child - hence the album cover with them as kids... I have a feeling a lot of those "cringe-worthy" moments are totally intentional - to stay true to genre, although I haven't heard the rest of the album

Oldplayer here - have had a few listens - agree w/ one of the posters - it has elements of all their eras in this song. To the classic piano lines, that Chris magically comes up from the parachutes/AROBTTH era with to x&y, mx like production effects (a la the submarine effect) & a GS introspective bent. I love the song, they keep me amazing and i've been listening to them from 2000 - I know people get upset with each album, but look at how amazing and different each album is, I love it, such variety of brilliance. The naysayers need to relax - this is quality work. Phil told me that they just want to be constantly inspired and they are by what music is evolving and how genres are blending. Let's enjoy the ride, because Coldplay always put 100% effort into each album. Look even Pitchfork had to come out and say my bad on X&Y, the one that everyone maligned them for. Pitchfork... the ultimate snobs of music. So give the boys some slack, and let's hear the whole album - regardless, I'm loving this song, and totally feeling the Everglow!

Guest kmm1482
She "sings" the "Heyy..eyyyy" parts that keep reappearing....so, not much really.

Those "Heyyys" are honestly the biggest part of the song I hate. So forced and unnecessary

Guest kmm1482
I know, they make the song feel pretty generic. But they are still not as bad as the "Do-it Do-it"s in Army of One...

Oh no......

Guest kmm1482
Sorry, didn't mean to spoil anything for you if you haven't heard it.

No, you're fine hoping for the best, dreading the worst