✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everglow

Coeurli

Guest kmm1482

I'm sorry for wording it that way. I'm all for differing opinions no matter if it's highly favorable or utter disgust. I meant that this website in particular has always had a very interesting perspective and take on the negative side of things. Of course there is no such thing as a 'real' fan of any music, just like there is no 'real' sound any one band can have. I suppose that every community has its ups and downs, and by no means am I trying to act superior or say /r/Coldplay is. I love both places.

Nah, I wasn't really calling out you in particular; just the sense that I've been getting, as a whole, when some people object to the certain sound of a song or when they don't automatically praise a song.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all, more the fact that Chris' creativity seems to been really going. He's just doesn't seem to be writing very well at the moment.

I absolutely agree on AoAL. :nod: But it was also based on that book. I think the lyrics here are much stronger. It's no Viva, but it's better than nearly anything on GS.

I guess I'm an Oldplayer simply because I prefer the Coldplay from LP1-LP4, but I'm not the fiery kind. I wish there wasn't such division between fans over it. If you like True Love or ASFOS, then that's cool. I may dislike both songs but you just see strengths that I don't see and I see weaknesses that you don't see. That doesn't make either of us "right" and it certainly doesn't make either of us more or less of a fan. That kind of talk is ridiculous.

I still haven't listened to it but now I kinda want to its killing me WHAT DO I DO

I haven't listened either, but I'm very tempted right now... ughhhh I don't know if I can last a week, maybe I'll listen only once!

I haven't listened either, but I'm very tempted right now... ughhhh I don't know if I can last a week, maybe I'll listen only once!

I wanna listen to it so bad and its on Apple Music I think and I'm subscribed to that but I also really don't wanna spoil the whole album... I'm so indecisive

I'm honestly very tired of people who call others who don't love the song, "Oldplayers" or that the "animosity" and "negativity" here is horrible and bringing the whole community down. Since when was the only opinion that mattered, the positive one? I'm sorry, I don't like the song. The group has embraced this very produced, radio sound that was never around several albums ago and that's what I long for again; 4 guys just playing instruments. I miss the rock band side. Adventure of a Lifetime is one of my favorite songs of theirs in quite a long time and I've played it countless times consecutively, so I'm not some "Oldplayer" who "hate-listens" and complains about every single song. I am extremely excited for the album and am pleasantly encouraged by what new direction they're going, from the snippets. If I wasn't a huge fan of theirs I wouldn't be on here. So please, those of you who think you're a "real" Coldplay fan and know better than fans who have loved them since Parachutes, stop misinterpreting reservations about the songs for hate.

Let me specifically talk about this part of your comment first: "The group has embraced this very produced, radio sound that was never around several albums ago"

...what? Their music has ALWAYS been very radio-ready lol. They're a POP rock band, that's never not been the case. If you don't like their more upbeat, fast-paced, "produced" songs, that's fine. But let's not act like they've always somehow been this weird obscure acoustic slow band. It's not the case. They've always had both types of songs on their albums.

They're an evolving and growing band, and just as they change as human beings, their music is going to change.

What I'm really tired of hearing people whining about (and this isn't just with Coldplay) is pop music in general. A 'produced' song doesn't somehow automatically = a bad song.

And further, a song that someone writes, and then someone else plays, and someone else produces doesn't magically = a bad song either. Obviously this isn't really the case with Coldplay, but there's nothing wrong with singing something someone else wrote, which definitely can be the case with some pop music. That doesn't make you somehow "less" than any other musician.

With music, my philosophy at least, is that if it sounds good, it sounds good, and it's good. That's all it needs to be.

Guest kmm1482
I guess I'm an Oldplayer simply because I prefer the Coldplay from LP1-LP4, but I'm not the fiery kind. I wish there wasn't such division between fans over it. If you like True Love or ASFOS, then that's cool. I may dislike both songs but you just see strengths that I don't see and I see weaknesses that you don't see. That doesn't make either of us "right" and it certainly doesn't make either of us more or less of a fan. That kind of talk is ridiculous.

I'm in the exact same boat as you and you put it perfectly. I like songs from LP5-6, but prefer LP1-4. For me, I got the most out of Major Minus and b-side Moving to Mars along with Oceans, Ghost Story, All Your Friends and, after a while, Midnight. It used to be that I felt that way about every single song and I just don't anymore. Like I said, every new album is another chance.

Okay so after listening to it, I really like it :awesome: Not as good as Up&Up, but better than Amazing Day and AoaL.

-Chris's voooiiiicceee <3 The rawness of it is just amazing. I can't remember the last song we got that was like that

-PIANO

-GUITAR

-The lyrics are actually really cool omg. I especially like the second stanza (with the eagle and goddess line) and the "life is as short as the falling of snow"

-The little sound effect that sounds like it came out of Oceans. Cool little subtle thing that made me go "oooh"

Dislikes:

-Gwyneth's "mm hey" or whatever it is she's doing. Her voice sounds fine from what I can hear, but it's kind of one of those generic fillers that makes me think of a Beyoncé song and takes away from the otherwise really emotional vocals

-Not a big fan of the drumwork here (sorry Will! ilu). I think it would have worked better if they'd kept the original drums, but I'm still not even sold on those. Maybe it's the rather generic rhythm? I'm kind of curious as to what it would sound like if they used a shaker or tambourine instead, just for something a little different.

-There's something about it that I can't quite put my finger on . . . but it didn't really "grab" me like The Scientist or Trouble did the first time (I know, I know, unfair to compare it to those two). It won't make my top ten, but I already like it more than anything off GS (and most stuff off MX)

Score: 7/10 :D

Guest kmm1482
Let me specifically talk about this part of your comment first: "The group has embraced this very produced, radio sound that was never around several albums ago"

...what? Their music has ALWAYS been very radio-ready lol. They're a POP rock band, that's never not been the case. If you don't like their more upbeat, fast-paced, "produced" songs, that's fine. But let's not act like they've always somehow been this weird obscure acoustic slow band. It's not the case. They've always had both types of songs on their albums.

I never once said they were a "weird obscure acoustic slow band". You can't honestly tell me that anything on Viva is even close to the ASFOS sound. And honestly, no, they haven't always been a radio-ready band, save for a Clocks or a Viva La Vida. What I get from them now is that they're trying to hard to be a radio-ready band. I humbly apologize if this comes off as "whining"

Truth be told my favorite Coldplay albums are the first three that they made. Ever since MX I have accepted that the sounds from Parachutes to X&Y, or the musical style that identified them will likely not come back around, and that appears to be the case. I don't particularly like pop music, I find it to be annoying. Coldplay is transforming into a pop band. Am I settling for the new sound that the band is gravitating towards? I don't think I am settling as much as I am accepting of Coldplay's take on pop music. Regardless of my longing for another Parachutes, Coldplay remains my favorite band and it always will be.

I agree with the sentiments that Chris' lyrical prowess has been lacking. I truly believe "The Scientist" to be a masterpiece, "Viva La Vida" is another one. Heck, he's written a few. I don't think he has ever gotten back to that level. If anything, the lyrics are the most disappointing aspect of Coldplay music today, not the sound itself.

Guest kmm1482
Truth be told my favorite Coldplay albums are the first three that they made. Ever since MX I have accepted that the sounds from Parachutes to X&Y, or the musical style that identified them will likely not come back around, and that appears to be the case. I don't particularly like pop music, I find it to be annoying. Coldplay is transforming into a pop band. Am I settling for the new sound that the band is gravitating towards? I don't think I am settling as much as I am accepting of Coldplay's take on pop music. Regardless of my longing for another Parachutes, Coldplay remains my favorite band and it always will be.

I agree with the sentiments that Chris' lyrical prowess has been lacking. I truly believe "The Scientist" to be a masterpiece, "Viva La Vida" is another one. Heck, he's written a few. I don't think he has ever gotten back to that level. If anything, the lyrics are the most disappointing aspect of Coldplay music today, not the sound itself.

^this

^ Is it possible to ignore the "god-awful" lyrics then? I realize that will take the song down a peg (eg from 8/10 to 6/10 or whatever)... But it's a bit unfair to call a song awful / uninspired or tag it negatively just because the lyrics aren't the best... I guess I take this view because I've never taken Chris' lyrics (or most songwriters' for that matter) particularly seriously / thought he was a great lyricist - I might if it's absolutely outstanding but then again, books do that better anyhow...

Exactly! I view the Coldplay of MX-present this way: as a band that has evolved into the pop realm. There are many recent songs that I like, because there is a certain part of their identity that they've held onto, but few newer tracks fall into the category of songs that I consider "truly great."

I agree, lyrics have been lacking. When I listen to Square One and then ASFOS, I can't help but feel underwhelmed. "Under the surface trying to break through / deciphering the codes in you" has become "'Cause you're a sky, 'cause you're a sky full of stars / I wanna die in your arms." The cool imagery and cryptic message so often found in older songs is gone.

As musicians I (usually) accept their change in direction but the good lyrics are hard to come by.

Truth be told I really like GS, I even prefer it to X&Y and parts of Parachutes. I like every song on it, even ASFOS. But I really dislike MX, and none of the AHFOD songs have impressed me thus far. I don't know if that makes me a vitriolic Oldplayer or what but I'm certainly not hate-listening to the new stuff, I approach it all with an open mind in the hope that it impresses me. But I'm not gonna lie and say I enjoy songs I don't.

Guest kmm1482
Exactly! I view the Coldplay of MX-present this way: as a band that has evolved into the pop realm. There are many recent songs that I like, because there is a certain part of their identity that they've held onto, but few newer tracks fall into the category of songs that I consider "truly great."

I agree, lyrics have been lacking. When I listen to Square One and then ASFOS, I can't help but feel underwhelmed. "Under the surface trying to break through / deciphering the codes in you" has become "'Cause you're a sky, 'cause you're a sky full of stars / I wanna die in your arms." The cool imagery and cryptic message so often found in older songs is gone.

As musicians I (usually) accept their change in direction but the good lyrics are hard to come by.

I could not agree more. I was just looking up past and present lyrics. Take Square One, once again, "The Future's for discovering the space in which we're traveling" and Ghost Stories' Another's Arms, "Late night watching TV, used to be you here beside me

used to be your arms around me. Your body on my body" What's happened??

Strong instrumentals do compensate for weaker lyrics for me, though. Midnight has very repetitive lyrics but their underlying message and the actual music are together one of the best things I've ever heard from Coldplay. Similarly, AOAL has slightly repetitive lyrics that mostly could've been written by somebody else but I can't help enjoying the song more and more over time. Both AOAL and Midnight are unique in their own way.

The lyrics from the "Everglow Lyrics Decrypted" thread give me hope for this new track. I like their general style and even though I've seen far better, they aren't too repetitive and they aren't too cheesy. The Ghost Stories comparisons make me a little concerned, but I have a feeling I will enjoy Everglow when I finally do listen to it.

I wish people could just listen to these new songs without compare them with old songs or LP1-LP4 eras. I like to read different opinions (both positives and negatives) and this is the last time I ever write about it.

On topic: Everglow has grown on me faster than AOAL, except for Chris' voice sometimes and the first part of the chorus is horrible.

Strong instrumentals do compensate for weaker lyrics for me, though. Midnight has very repetitive lyrics but their underlying message and the actual music are together one of the best things I've ever heard from Coldplay. Similarly, AOAL has slightly repetitive lyrics that mostly could've been written by somebody else but I can't help enjoying the song more and more over time. Both AOAL and Midnight are unique in their own way.

Now I'm someone who listens to the instrumentation more than the lyrics. (But don't get me wrong, I know the words to every Coldplay song). I guess that's why I like a lot of the stuff on MX and even GS. (And of course I love the pre-MX stuff) Where people are crying during Fix You because of the touching lyrics, I'm like "oohhhhh here comes Jonny's solo!!"

It is not often the case that I can call a Coldplay song boring. I don't like some of them but I don't consider them boring. This one absolutely is the most boring Coldplay song since What If. It is absolutely pointless and forced.

And please, don't ever ever ever compare this song to Warning Sign again. Ever.

Ok, waitig for the next track... So far I really like A head full of dreams, Amazing day is ok though Meh, Adventure is atrocious and this one is incredibly blatant.

i find the chris martin vocals superb. i think that some people need to focus on the emotions that a singer give to their audience not if its perfect or not. Thats why i like it so much if you arent agree go listen adele or rihanna. chris sounds very emotional in this song you can hear how desperate is he. the song 10/10.

I feel bad for you people who struggle to enjoy all of Coldplay's work. Even Another's Arms, Ink, A Whisper, Up In Flames, etc. - my least favorite coldplay songs - I still enjoy and think are decent. You guys are all analyzing their new songs as if they are some laboratory experiment or something. Personally, I just focus on what connects with me, what I find moving. And you know what..Coldplay has earned my respect. They've released so much brilliant material, I applaud them for going the directions they want musically. They deserve to be able to make what they want. Pop collaboration with Rihanna? Go for it guys. EDM collaboration with Avicii? Do it. R&B song with Beyonce? Hell yeah!!They're allowed to make music that they like. They don't make music exclusively to please all of you who refuse to enjoy anything after VLV.

Everglow is a very emotional song, executed better than most songs from Ghost Stories. I know half of you would rather them release Clocks Remix #7, and that's too bad for you man. Oh well. I'll go on enjoying all this superb, creative music Coldplay is now creating. I'm sorry for you guys. I'm really sorry.