✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everglow

Coeurli

Guest kmm1482
I feel bad for you people who struggle to enjoy all of Coldplay's work. Even Another's Arms, Ink, A Whisper, Up In Flames, etc. - my least favorite coldplay songs - I still enjoy and think are decent. You guys are all analyzing their new songs as if they are some laboratory experiment or something. Personally, I just focus on what connects with me, what I find moving. And you know what..Coldplay has earned my respect. They've released so much brilliant material, I applaud them for going the directions they want musically. They deserve to be able to make what they want. Pop collaboration with Rihanna? Go for it guys. EDM collaboration with Avicii? Do it. R&B song with Beyonce? Hell yeah!!They're allowed to make music that they like. They don't make music exclusively to please all of you who refuse to enjoy anything after VLV.

Everglow is a very emotional song, executed better than most songs from Ghost Stories. I know half of you would rather them release Clocks Remix #7, and that's too bad for you man. Oh well. I'll go on enjoying all this superb, creative music Coldplay is now creating. I'm sorry for you guys. I'm really sorry.

Hahaha!!!! I'm printing this one out [emoji23][emoji23]

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First impressions:

Sounds like a GS outtake. I mean, seriously. Funny juxtaposition with AOAL, a dirge followed by an upbeat pop song. The song tries so hard to capture the emotional moments of previous Coldplay albums (ex: We Never Change, Amsterdam, A Message, Reign of Love, Up in Flames, Oceans) but lacks the cathartic release or simplicity that made those tunes and instead sounds forced and generic. The electronic drums could be taken out, and Chris sounds like he's singing with a sore throat. What happened to the delicate voice that managed to deliver songs such as Warning Sign and Gravity? And was it Paltrow singing the "ohs" in the background? I barely noticed. They're not a big deal and it wasn't necessary to hype the fact that she sang on the track. I'm not very optimistic for this album anymore, at best we'll be getting a poor man's MX. Oh well, maybe it'll grow on me. :-/

First impressions:

Sounds like a GS outtake. I mean, seriously. Funny juxtaposition with AOAL, a dirge followed by an upbeat pop song. The song tries so hard to capture the emotional moments of previous Coldplay albums (ex: We Never Change, Amsterdam, A Message, Reign of Love, Up in Flames, Oceans) but lacks the cathartic release or simplicity that made those tunes and instead sounds forced and generic. The electronic drums could be taken out, and Chris sounds like he's singing with a sore throat. What happened to the delicate voice that managed to deliver songs such as Warning Sign and Gravity? And was it Paltrow singing the "ohs" in the background? I barely noticed. They're not a big deal and it wasn't necessary to hype the fact that she sang on the track. I'm not very optimistic for this album anymore, at best we'll be getting a poor man's MX. Oh well, maybe it'll grow on me. :-/

I find this album will be what Mylo Xyloto should've been. If they released this after Viva La Vida it would've been just crazy!!

The only thing I don't like right now about Everglow is the ohhs from Gwyneth, they were unneeded and take away from the beauty, and the abrupt ending. Plus I just listened to Everglow then Adventure of a Lifetime in a Spotify Playlist and they don't seem to meld together well.

I never once said they were a "weird obscure acoustic slow band". You can't honestly tell me that anything on Viva is even close to the ASFOS sound. And honestly, no, they haven't always been a radio-ready band, save for a Clocks or a Viva La Vida. What I get from them now is that they're trying to hard to be a radio-ready band. I humbly apologize if this comes off as "whining"

I'm not trying to single you out or anything, I just get tired of people who do whine, because the same thing happens every single time any band releases new music. No matter what, there is always a portion of fans who despise the new music and say things like "I want the old [insert artist name here] back", and it just gets aggravating to me.

Speaking to what you said though about their singles and being radio-ready: Ehhh, not entirely. I mean Yellow was pretty much their first hit, and it was played a bunch on the radio back when that came out, and can easily be considered a "pop" song. Same with In My Place, Clocks obviously as you said, Speed Of Sound, Talk..all these singles from all their earlier albums were played a bunch on the radio, and can be considered "pop rock".

Also, I wouldn't say they're "trying hard to be a radio-ready band". They're trying new things, and evolving their sound, and the new things they're trying happen to be more closely related to the types of songs that are popular on the radio now. That in itself doesn't mean they're any better or worse than they've ever been, nor that their songs are. Chris has said in countless interviews now that he likes plenty of pop and electronic music. They're legitimately playing what they like. Sure, I guess it's possible they're lying and trying to just grab money by playing what's popular, but I highly doubt that's the case.

And let me just leave you with this: Ultimately, if a song is a good song [to you]–it's a good song. And if a song is a bad song [to you]–it's a bad song. Genre, it being a "radio song", a "pop song", etc., etc. all comes later. What matters the most is that you listen to a piece of music, a piece of art, with no preconceptions.. at least as well as you can, and try to truly and deeply intake the sound as wholesomely as you can. And if, by the end of the experience, you do like the song, then you do like the song. And if you don't, you don't, and that's okay too. At least that's the philosophy I take when listening to new music, no matter the artist(s). Don't try to think about genre, nor about whether it's "cool", or "uncool" to like a genre (or a musical artist/group).

Edit: I realized I haven't even given my opinion of the song in this thread yet lol. It is GROWING on me man! And I mean growing in a way of me liking it better and better, from already having liked it when I first heard it! Holy crap is it good!

On first listen, I was a bit underwhelmed but at the same time pleased with it more than I expected to! It's growing on me, but it's immensely better than Amazing Day (for me), and I like Amazing Day! Overall I like it and I'm sure I'll love it after a few listens.

...but I can't make myself listen to anything else. :sad: Only one week!

Guest diogo_sg
What about the abrupt ending to the song?

I noticed that too. I hope that doesn't appear on the full album. We need a cool transition into AOAL.

Just listened to the song now, and the only really good thing about it was that piano. (Not the best but good for Coldplay at this point) I'm honestly not sure if they're trying to sound like their older songs or not.

Also is that "world record" thing really part of the song or is it just the one I listened to?

Also is that "world record" thing really part of the song or is it just the one I listened to?

No, thats just due to it being zane lowes world record of the day. If you go on Spotify/itunes now its on the album version without that.

Y'know what, I was thinking, maybe the "sore throat effect" of Chris's vocals is intentional, to try and capture the emotion that the song's lyrics (which aren't great but at least get their point across) convey. But in that case they should've stripped away all of the layers of production, leaving only Chris and his piano.

Chris sounds like he's singing with a sore throat. What happened to the delicate voice that managed to deliver songs such as Warning Sign and Gravity?

That's one of the things bothering me a lot. Unfortunately, his voice seems to be irreversibly old and scratchy now. But then again, this is an aspect about their songs that is the least influencable, and I can live with it as long as the songs are great (example: Ghost Story).

Actually, I don't even think the lyrics of Everglow are that bad. But it just has this feeling of a generic Shania Twain pop ballad, it doesn't compare to previous "emotional songs" by Coldplay. It's one of these ballads you hear in the radio all day and forget immediately after.

I managed to find the album version of the song. I can say that I like it, but I was noticing its position between Hymn For The Weekend and Adventure Of A Lifetime... It seems like they put it there to try to save people from throwing the album through the window :lol:

I wish people could just listen to these new songs without compare them with old songs or LP1-LP4 eras. I like to read different opinions (both positives and negatives) and this is the last time I ever write about it.

On topic: Everglow has grown on me faster than AOAL, except for Chris' voice sometimes and the first part of the chorus is horrible.

:lol: Agreed! I love Chris's voice on the rest of the song (except maybe when he hits that high note on "everglow"), but this part just makes me cringe a little

Guest kmm1482
Andi;5771530']Where can I hear it? Can anyone post a link please.

I believe it's on most music streaming sites (tidal, spotify, iTunes)