✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

AOAL Music Video (Out Nov 27th)

Sparky

Guest diogo_sg
Where they once used that voice to support causes they agreed with

Huh, they still do. Many times. Just because they put the Pill in one of their videos doesn't mean they don't care about the world anymore.

PS: this is one of the stupidest sentences I've ever wrote.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest diogo_sg
An interesting ethical question my friend. :) I don't think that it is any individuals fault, but rather that of the extractive economic systems which don't put value on ecosystems or on rights of indigenous peoples and cultures. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you are "part of the plan"--to bring it back to Coldplay. That said, since we all participate in that system, we have the obligation to demand recycled products and try not to support that kind of thing. :) Ahhh the challenges of globalisation....

Sorry for the rant, this is just the stuff I study. Bums me out.

It's ok :)

What I was trying to say is: it's just the Pill, for monkey's sake! Aaand, we don't know what they're going to do for the rest of the video. There can very well be an environmental message on it.

Guest diogo_sg
That would make it worse. Imagine the hypocrisy?

Why not just take for what it is? We have motion capture Coldplay-apes dancing to a disco song in the middle of a forest. I don't think this video is meant to be deep or anything, just fun. I can be wrong, of course.

Coldplay/Chris Martin has done TONS of charity work and then they advertise some product for 30 seconds in one of their videos and then they are sell outs, horrible human beings, who doesn't give a sh*** for the world and with the only goal to be rich people and do parties and sell their horrible and lazy music to the masses only to please them. Nice logic! For some people Chris and c.o should live under a rock without a hair cut wearing black shirts and jeans listening only hipster alternative cult music and please all their fans (which is impossible) donating everything they have to the rest of the world remaking their past songs and talking about complex deep philosophical existentialist topics with complex far-fetched lyrics making very little money out of it.

In another topic if you look for past interviews (even in the Parachutes era)Chirs mentioned several times his like for others pop artists and music. Not only him but Guy, Jonny and Will too. In my opinion they were stuck with the idea of what a pop rock band should look and do and what was their identities as an artists. They now free themselves for all of it and are not afraid to explore all their influences as an artists. Off course this doesn't mean they aren't immune to criticism because the truth is none of us are. And that doesn't mean that I think their overall recent work is better them their past, because for me it's not even thought I really like some of their recent songs. But music is subject as it gets to, you either like or not, it's not something you can put much logic into. Some songs connect with people some don't. Doesn't mean they are bad or good songs. Some people may hate Mozart or not being connect to his music but love Rihanna and being connect to hers. Some people may love Rihanna and Mozart. Some people may recognize the artistic value of Mozart but not connect to or not like his music. Some songs of Coldplay doesn't mean anything to me and some does. I think it's rarely a thing to love all the works of one specific artist, it's not impossible but is very very rare. The majority of the artists I like has done at least one piece that I do not like. I think expectations really high can ruin everything because most times will leave you disapointed.

A couple of quotes from Chris 13 years ago...

"I'm sure we'll do something in the future where we will fuck up. I'm sure one day we'll be desperate for money or exposure and we'll go crawling back to Gap and say, 'Hey, are you sure you don't want a song?' But at the moment we can say 'Fuck 'em!'"

"What does it matter that Mike Myers, five years ago in 'Wayne's World', did a whole skit taking the mickey out of product placement and now, in 'Austin Powers', there is something being advertised in pretty much every scene. That's what upsets me. That they have made a third film where they have used the same jokes and just added a whole bunch of coffee cups."

geezz close minded people go post up negative comments about anything too risky or too sellout-ish or even too safe whatever they do you'll have a say on it - badly. Why don't you just be happy hey have new amazing music and stop criticizing everything they do. they make he music not you they do their own decisions. just be happy that they've even have music to put out in the first place. if you don't like it or think its a sellout then don't watch it period.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Why are some of us giving two donkey shits about this anyway? Noel G explains the pointless nature of videos perfectly from 2.40 onwards in the clip below.

[video=youtube;rfNqyjZcleI]

'Who fucking watches videos these days? No one. A right fucking con if you ask me.'

Every even slightly negative comment about the band gets hated immediately here. Maybe the forum should enforce a rule that you can only say positive things about Coldplay from now on, that would make these people's lives easier. :(

For me, what's disappointing and downright strange is I'd expect arguably the biggest Coldplay fansite to generally love whatever the band do. If a Coldplay fansite doesn't like Coldplay then who will? To clarify, I say 'generally' because I do expect some hate as you can never get 100% unanimous opinions on anything. That goes for this MV, the music itself, etc. The negative comments aren't the issue, its the volume of them that bugs me and I feel, really brings the forum mood down. And I'm not pinning this on any one person or group. Because negative comments will happen and should be shared. But perhaps its also the job of the positive ppl to speak up and say, hey, this shit's pretty good.

With that being said, I was never a fan of Coldplay's MVs. I kinda made my peace with it and just kept the negative comments to myself. But this might perhaps take the cake for the worst of all time with the bizarre CGI monkey AND now the product placement. I mean, you can have a different taste in the band's recent direction. But I haven't heard a single person say, 'you know what, that product placement was a good idea!'. But to give you my bottom line: is it looking like another bad MV? Yeah. Am I freaking out about it? No. Only because their MVs have been generally weak to begin with (esp lately), and I dont care about MVs.

Every even slightly negative comment about the band gets hated immediately here. Maybe the forum should enforce a rule that you can only say positive things about Coldplay from now on, that would make these people's lives easier. :(

But aren't you negative all the time?

I have been on the forums since the past two months.

And I don't remember you appreciating anything from this era.

Agreed that not everybody can love everything about the band, but I don't know how is it possible for people to hate almost everything the band does.

Reading a Coldplay fanpage, people expect to see discussions(generally positive, sometimes critical)

But 90% of the times when I come here all I see is, 'they have become sellouts', 'avicii omg, the end.' 'beyonce , omg the end', 'they have included ivy too, omg, the end' 'too many woohoos, 'too edm' , ' why electric drums, 'why beats' 'why AOAL' , 'too repititive' Everything is just so critical. I don't like to say it, but I have been following this forum since some time closely and I don't remember you appreciating anything. Being an oldplayer and knowing that it is highly unlikely for them to do a Violet hill or AROBTTH type of thing is out of question now, maybe you can scale down your expectations a bit, rather than pinpointing everything?

I completely agree with jc90, that all the hating brings down the mood in the forums.

I am sorry, If I am being rude. But this has to stop.

• Like 1