✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

AOAL Music Video (Out Nov 27th)

Sparky

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chimpanzee habitats in West Africa have been devastated over the past few decades due to logging and mining. That mining is often for metals used in the making of cellphones and other electronics (which are not recycled by the way).

But hey, at least we still have motion capture chimps who like overpriced speakers!

http://janegoodall.ca/get-involved/coltan-the-link-between-chimpanzees-and-your-cell-phone/

http://www.sospecies.org/sos_projects/mammals/west_african_chimpanzee/

Guest diogo_sg
Coldplay have gone from promoting Fair Trade to advertising a product which contributes in killing the endangered creatures they're trying to emulate.

And people try to tell me this band haven't changed :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

How can you say that? They support so many causes and donate so much money to so many charity organisations!

Besides, pretty much everyone that lives in developed countries owns a cellphone, computers, tablets and such. These devices needed that "killer" metal in order to be built. That doesn't make us bad people, does it? You're not a bad person because you own an iPhone, are you? C'mon!

How can you say that? They support so many causes and donate so much money to so many charity organisations!

Besides, pretty much everyone that lives in developed countries owns a cellphone, computers, tablets and such. These devices needed that "killer" metal in order to be built. That doesn't make us bad people, does it? You're not a bad person because you own an iPhone, are you? C'mon!

An interesting ethical question my friend. :) I don't think that it is any individuals fault, but rather that of the extractive economic systems which don't put value on ecosystems or on rights of indigenous peoples and cultures. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just means you are "part of the plan"--to bring it back to Coldplay. That said, since we all participate in that system, we have the obligation to demand recycled products and try not to support that kind of thing. :) Ahhh the challenges of globalisation....

Sorry for the rant, this is just the stuff I study. Bums me out.

"Part of a system I am, Part of a system, a plan"

:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

Out of topic but I'm listening to White Shadows. It was the first song when I clicked the shuffle icon. Is that a sign send by the universe?

You're not a bad person because you own an iPhone, are you? C'mon!

I'm sorry but Coldplay are not just ordinary people "with an iPhone" They have a platform and a voice. Where they once used that voice to support causes they agreed with, they're now using it to flog electronics to young, impressionable teenagers.

Sell-outssss

Guest howyousawtheworld
Maybe it was too expensive for the band and they had to bring in Beats 1 advertisement.

Or maybe and hopefully I am wrong and it is just a simple little promo.

Hmmm, too expensive? Coldplay are the one band (apart from U2) who could hold a concert on the moon, fly back and still have a few bob to spare in their back pocket!