✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

so excited

- i don't think we will hear different style than AHFOD .. just more poppier songs

- i also expect Prospekt's March style EP with 3/4 new songs

- the guys really enjoying this era and try to extended as long as they can

- funny how Chris always mention the ending after every album and yet he can't stop writing lol

• Like 3

I would really doubt the Everglow acoustic will be on it , don't really see the point since it has already been released as single ?

Hmmm, I was initially thinking that it would almost definitely be on the EP since I thought that they might have been releasing it sooner, but since it might be a good 2-5 months maybe not.

• Like 1

Hmm, I have to say I'm not so sure about that part. The Prospekt's March EP's sound and style were 100% Viva Era and in retrospect I can't find any hint of the sound or style of the MX Era in it...

I didn't explain well what I wanted to say. I think that during VLV era there were some songs that felt quite like a transition into something very different from X&Y and that are more "soul connected" with MX. I think of extreme poppiness and grandeur of Viva La Vida, the hip hop/R&B influenced Lost (especially Lost+ feat. Jay-Z), the use of synths in LiT ii, the unuseful ooohs of the Osaka Sun Mix of LIJ.

All of this was cleverly hidden into the greatness of the songs, the imaginery and the concept that made VLVODAAHF one of the best albums ever imho, but I remember that a few careful listeners at that time said that they were worried of what would have come after that era (and they were sadly right)

• Like 2

^I agree that if you want to get a hint at Coldplay's future work, you have to look at b-sides and EP's. Towards the end of the How We Saw The World Tour, they were performing a slinky, rebellious guitar number called "How You See The World"--that hinted at Viva in my opinion.

With Prospekt's March, we got some heartfelt ballads and some digital atmosphere. That transfered over to MX to a degree (with Brian Eno).

Then, of course, Atlas hinted at the moody atmosphere of GS, and then I would argue the track Ghost Story and Miracles slightly hinted at the production route for AHFOD.

It's hard to say where this new EP will take us though over a year later.

• Like 1

^I agree that if you want to get a hint at Coldplay's future work, you have to look at b-sides and EP's. Towards the end of the How We Saw The World Tour, they were performing a slinky, rebellious guitar number called "How You See The World"--that hinted at Viva in my opinion.

With Prospekt's March, we got some heartfelt ballads and some digital atmosphere. That transfered over to MX to a degree (with Brian Eno).

I see what you're saying, but I disagree. PM were just songs leftover from Viva. The only thing similar PM has with MX is the fact Eno helped out. Otherwise, those two sounds are polar opposites.

^ I definitely agree about Miracles hinting at AHFoD's general sound, but I'm curious why you included Ghost Story also? To me, it sounds like it belongs more in the ARoBttH thru Viva eras than anything :)

Yeah, Ghost Story is very, very, very different from anything they've done the past five years.

All I'm going to guess is that the songs are most likely AHFOD-era tracks that have either been reworked or constantly updated. The EP's never give us a good guess of their next sound, but their standalone movie tracks somehow do, lol.

• Like 2

I see what you're saying, but I disagree. PM were just songs leftover from Viva. The only thing similar PM has with MX is the fact Eno helped out. Otherwise, those two sounds are polar opposites.

Yeah, Ghost Story is very, very, very different from anything they've done the past five years.

All I'm going to guess is that the songs are most likely AHFOD-era tracks that have either been reworked or constantly updated. The EP's never give us a good guess of their next sound, but their standalone movie tracks somehow do, lol.

I agree, I think this EP is just going to mimic similar sounds to AHFOD, maybe some slower ballads as they have been recently messing with acoustic tracks, but again I think it's just some tracks that didn't fit onto their album, according to Guy.

• Like 3

Thanks for your explanation, @beastwars, but i think the Prospekt's March EP didn't show anything in terms of musical direction that wasn't already apparent from the actual album (ok, maybe the Jay-Z thing).

Agree that Atlas and Miracles foreshadowed the future album sounds pretty well, but I don't think the EP will because it will be a hundred percent "leftovers" from the AHFOD recording sessions, I think.

• Like 1

i don't think i agree with chris' version of "good" or "really good" coldplay. so that's a little worrying. but new music! in a couple of months! hopefully not months that have 60-70 days in them.

• Like 1

S

^ I definitely agree about Miracles hinting at AHFoD's general sound, but I'm curious why you included Ghost Story also? To me, it sounds like it belongs more in the ARoBttH thru Viva eras than anything :)

EDIT: Off-topic, but are the forum's emoticons not showing properly for anyone else?

Same here - I'm not seeing the emos either.

• Like 1

Hmm, I have to say I'm not so sure about that part. The Prospekt's March EP's sound and style were 100% Viva Era and in retrospect I can't find any hint of the sound or style of the MX Era in it...

i think it makes more sense for Kaleidoscope EP to suggest future styles than it would have for PM to do so. PM came out within six months of VLVODAAHF whereas this is going to be more than a year between. PM was definitely songs "leftover" or at least developed in parallel with VLVODAAHF... maybe songs on Kaleidoscope will have come from the development of AHFOD but i think enough time has passed that these songs could have gone through a different evolution, if that makes sense.

it may not end up being exactly like what they put out next, but i agree that it certainly could lean more that way.

EDIT: Off-topic, but are the forum's emoticons not showing properly for anyone else?

the smileys haven't been around since the maintenance update a few weeks ago. they'll probably come back eventually but it's not a priority. so for now we have to make do with broken links :lol:

• Like 1

i think it makes more sense for Kaleidoscope EP to suggest future styles than it would have for PM to do so. PM came out within six months of VLVODAAHF whereas this is going to be more than a year between. PM was definitely songs "leftover" or at least developed in parallel with VLVODAAHF... maybe songs on Kaleidoscope will have come from the development of AHFOD but i think enough time has passed that these songs could have gone through a different evolution, if that makes sense.

it may not end up being exactly like what they put out next, but i agree that it certainly could lean more that way.

the smileys haven't been around since the maintenance update a few weeks ago. they'll probably come back eventually but it's not a priority. so for now we have to make do with broken links :lol:

Fair point. Plus note that in the video Chris says they've been writing songs specifically, not reworking them or polishing them or anything like that. It could be that they've moved on to another source of inspiration. Really, I think it's going to be difficult to tell ahead of time what we're getting with this EP--all the other EPs we've gotten have been released within a few months of their respective albums. While I think the potential LP8 is too far off for this EP to be indicative of its sound, I also think the guys' perspective will have shifted a little since AHFoD. This may wind up being a little mini-era in itself in terms of sound, themes, etc.

And okay, makes sense lol. I it was my browser messing up and tried everything I could think of to get them back, but nothing was working :lol:

• Like 2

"A kaleidoscope is an optical instrument, typically a cylinder with mirrors containing loose, colored objects such as beads or pebbles and bits of glass. As the viewer looks into one end, light entering the other end creates a colorful pattern, due to repeated reflection in the mirrors."

"A kaleidoscope is an optical instrument in which bits of glass, held loosely at the end of a rotating tube, are shown in continually changing symmetrical forms by reflection in two or more mirrors set at angles to each other. A kaleidoscope operates on the principle of multiple reflection, where several mirrors are placed at an angle to one another. Typically there are three rectangular mirrors set at 60° to each other so that they form an equilateral triangle, but other angles and configurations are possible. The 60° angle generates an infinite regular grid of duplicate images of the original, with each image having six possible angles and being a mirror image or an unreversed image.

As the tube is rotated, the tumbling of the colored objects presents varying colors and patterns. Arbitrary patterns show up as a symmetrical pattern created by the reflections. A two-mirror kaleidoscope yields a pattern or patterns isolated against a solid black background, while the three-mirror (closed triangle) type yields a pattern that fills the entire visual field."

I can imagine 3 or 4 new songs, the new version of Everglow and 1 or 2 remixes. And every song being a reflection of the other one, like a mirror image or an unreversed image. Same patterns and colours and at the same time, different. It would be crazy if we get another colour song...

• Like 2

I am being hopefully pessimistic (if that's a thing :p ). Coldplay have not really gone that deep into an album (let alone an EP) in a long time. I would be really let down if they are another bunch of 'colorful' songs. Personally I like the black and white (lol) ones. (I loved Ghost Story)

Again with the EP, I think it would be a kind of transition into a period where they are much more unshackled. I think that was the reason why they are doing an EP and not an album (in the near future). An album requires all this really hard work into the artwork, etc but an EP can just be about the music.

So though I don't expect really great songs like the first 4, but I remain hopeful of 1-2 hidden gems. Plus, it's new Coldplay, how bad can it be ;)

• Like 5