✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

Genuinely curious so someone please answer this Q if possible:

Why did the studio version of Something Just Like This get bumped for a live version? Doing so obviously contributed to the EP being delayed, but did they just not have the rights to use the studio version, and how does that work as the band themselves have 80% of the writing credits for the song? Weird as hell.

i believe it was the studio version on the tracklist when they first announced the EP, then changed when they updated it.

maybe they just wanted to release a different version so it's not the exact same one which was already on the Chainsmokers album? but also because this is the version that's used in the official video, which came out only last month, it does make a little more sense to use that version. like having Lovers In Japan (Osaka Sun Mix) on PM

• Like 1

That's a good question. I don't know why they have the live version when they're going to have it on the live album in a few months. That doesn't really make sense to me. I'd rather not have it on the EP, but if it's going to be, an extended studio version would have been good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The original running order before the change was:

AICTAIY

SJLT studio version

A L I E N S

Miracles (Someone Special)

Hypnotised

I think having the live version thrown in there hurts the flow of the EP so have tossed it for the studio version and fixed the tracklisting. Much better.

• Like 1

The original running order before the change was:

AICTAIY

SJLT studio version

A L I E N S

Miracles (Someone Special)

Hypnotised

I think having the live version thrown in there hurts the flow of the EP so have tossed it for the studio version and fixed the tracklisting. Much better.

I agree, having a live song with a loud crowd hurts the flow. That's really my only complaint with the EP.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm usually very reluctant to skip any song when listening through an album. But while I like most of the new EP, I really dislike this version of Something Just Like This. So I'll probably skip it most of the time.

As others have pointed out, it disrupts the flow of the EP in an unpleasant way. As others have pointed out, the audience is too loud in the mix. Also it just sounds bad—it lacks the clarity of the studio version and it also lacks the punch and the energy of the live version. It's the worst of both worlds. The fact that there's multiple Chris's singing, layered on top of each other, is annoying and doesn't make it sound better in my opinion. And if you look up an audience-filmed video of the Tokyo performance of the song, you'll notice that the "Tokyo remix" doesn't originate from there at all. (At least not the vocals.)

To end on a positive note, I like that they resurrected a song from so many years ago. Such a good song, sitting on the shelf for such a long time. And it's interesting that the version on YouTube is different from the one on the EP—probably some last-minute changes were made, too late to incorporate into the video. Even though they had 8 years to finish it :laughing:

• Like 4

Alright guys. Just like the A Head Full of Dreams files, I purchased the Kaleidoscope EP in 96khz high quality. If anyone wants it, hit me up! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG! Would love to have Aliens in that quality! And Hypnotised and All I can think. :D :D

Must say I'm surprised at how accepting I am of Big Sean's part on Miracles (SS).. It fits way better than I thought it would, and the music behind his rapping keeps me interested.. Just saying I wasn't expecting to like this collab but I do. I like the EP a lot, but like everyone else says, that live version of SJLT just seems out of place... Now let the wait start for their next LP...

• Like 5

My thoughts on the EP:

1. All I Can Think About Is You

In terms of instrumentation and song flow, this is one of Coldplay's best songs in existence, but lyrically and vocally, it's pretty underwhelming. The lyrics make zero sense and that vocal effect doesn't match the songs natural instrumentation at all. I honestly ignore Chris entirely on this one. Other than that, fantastic banger.

2. Miracles (Someone Special)

This was the one song I was worried about, but now it's one of my favorite songs by them. It has a pretty bouncy beat but has Jonny's glittery funk-style rhythm guitar that isn't covered up by anything. The only weird thing is that the strings stop twice in the beginning for some dumb reason? Big Sean's rapping is clean and uplifting and that chorus is kind of reminiscent of the first Miracles and manages to give me chills thinking what it would be like if they play it live when I see them soon. Very good collaboration.

3. A L I E N S

One of Coldplay's best songs ever. This is instrumentation diversity and experimentation at their finest. The beat is very driving and the vast collection of strange synths and sounds work very well alongside natural strings, Jonny's X&Yish riffs, and acoustic guitar. It actually takes me to space. The fact that it's in 5/4 time signature is even better because it just shows that Coldplay is pushing themselves to do new and weird things (the last time they did that, a little album called Viva came out). The end part with Will singing is really cool too.

4. Something Just Like This-Tokyo Remix

While the studio version is still underwhelming and uninteresting, this version is backed up by the energy of thousands of Tokyo audience members and the sheer power of Coldplay live. You can almost feel like you're there. Much better than the original studio mix.

5. Hypnotised-EP Mix

The addition of chimes is a welcome prelude to another one of Coldplay's best songs. Glorious piano, wailing guitar, soundscape-filling strings, and the first time Chris ques Jonny on his solo with his nickname "J!" in a studio recorded song. Very good ending for a short but well constructed EP.

Overall rating: 8/10

Will be purchasing on CD, especially for the cheap $5 Amazon price.

Sent from my VS986 using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1

My thoughts on the EP:

"The fact that it's in 5/4 time signature is even better because it just shows that Coldplay is pushing themselves to do new and weird things (the last time they did that, a little album called Viva came out)"

"The end part with Will singing is really cool too."

"The addition of chimes"

Coldplaying mobile app

That would be because it was produced around the Viva/MX era, just never released.

I believe that's Brian Eno and Rik Simpson singing, not WC.

That's a vibraphone [emoji28]

I agree with all of your comments though. Great track by track review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM me guys! Also, to answer your question, yes iTunes accepts .WAV format. You're all good

I would love a PM as well! I was just listening to this today with my AudioTechnica headphones and thought how nice it would be to have a more high quality recording to listen to with those things!