✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

Ok I just checked the rating for the EP on Metacritic and its a 60!!! That's the same exact rating for AHFOD!

http://www.metacritic.com/music/kaleidoscope-ep/coldplay

There is an obvious biased hate against the band from the more obscure music reviewers that still somehow get approved by Metacritic.

https://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/coldplay-kaleidoscope-ep

Im talking about tasteless, ignorant and closed-minded reviews like these. No where did this reviewer mention the 3 tracks that have been highlighted by many others as their best in years. At least NME stayed open minded and gave the band a chance.

Im starting to get frustrated with not only the biased hate going against the band, but also music journalism in general. I know I shouldnt be worried about what the critics think, but its starting to get a little odd and questionable. I keep on wondering when Coldplay will be liked by both critics and fans again. It may never happen, but hopefully a 2 year break and change in sound will convince people that they arent in it to stay relevant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

*shrugs* It's still "cool" to hate on Coldplay for some reason. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course, but it does seem to get a little excessive with certain artists--the obvious example here being Justin Beiber. Not sure what he did in the beginning (if anything) to deserve the vitriol that the Internet in general seemed to throw at him, but boy for awhile there you would have thought he committed the equivalent of a murder or something.

For Coldplay somewhere down the line they got stuck with the perception of being "soft" and it never really went away I guess. Too much falsetto, not enough thrashing guitar, etc. etc. Plus there's the whole thing of people seeing them as a discount U2 or Radiohead, at least in their earlier years.

My point being, if the general masses still think it's necessary to look down on Coldplay, then the music review sites will reflect that because that's the kind of review that will draw traffic.

Just my (slightly biased) two cents

I agree with the gist of what you're trying to say. I mean, I dont think there's anything the band can do to shake this image. Hell, going a step further, I dont think there's a thing the band can do to please everyone period. They can remake AROBTTH and the public will say, oh look its emo coldplay again lelelelelel, or they can be the hip, cool band (like they are now), and the fans will say, oh look, theyve gone pop, they suck now lelelelelel. Can never win. That's not a dig at any group in particular, i'm just saying that's how it is, and its hard to shake off the first impression I guess. All that matters is how YOU feel about them, and try not to let what others think effect what you think.

• Like 8

Ok I just checked the rating for the EP on Metacritic and its a 60!!! That's the same exact rating for AHFOD!

There is an obvious biased hate against the band from the more obscure music reviewers that still somehow get approved by Metacritic.

Im talking about tasteless, ignorant and closed-minded reviews like these. No where did this reviewer mention the 3 tracks that have been highlighted by many others as their best in years. At least NME stayed open minded and gave the band a chance.

Im starting to get frustrated with not only the biased hate going against the band, but also music journalism in general. I know I shouldnt be worried about what the critics think, but its starting to get a little odd and questionable. I keep on wondering when Coldplay will be liked by both critics and fans again. It may never happen, but hopefully a 2 year break and change in sound will convince people that they arent in it to stay relevant

The only reason I would read someone else's review of a work of art would be to reflect on my understanding of it. Numbers have no value.

• Like 2

I read that "review" - LMAO, what kind of a review is that when it only discusses 2 songs ? I mean I agree with some of the criticism of these 2 songs but it looks like the "reviewer" deliberately left the others out of the picture because they didn't fit his condescending attitude towards Coldplay...

• Like 2

Guys, I understand that I shouldnt let other people's opinions affect me, but like @ColdplayingfromKansas said, it gets excessive on certain artists. I understand numbers have no value, *but my complaint goes towards music journalism and what is being qualified as acceptable rather than the hate the band have been getting.*

Also, all 4 of their first albums were fairly enjoyed by both critics and fans. I wasnt really referring to the "coldplay haters" that think they were "radiohead copycats" or some bull crap like that, but more of the music critics that are supposed to be unbiased .

Besides that, in this point in time, there isn't really any hate on Coldplay anymore within the general masses. It isnt a "trendy" thing to do anymore. Really, it only exists in this type of music journalism that is clearly behind on this.

So all in all, Im pointing out how ridiculous and biased music journalism is getting at not only Coldplay, but several other areas in the industry as well (an example would be Alt. Press).

• Like 1

Exactly! I don't know how to explain this well, but for me listening to Chris sing is just a different experience from listening to any other singer. I love Florence Welch, Bono, Matt Bellamy, Brandon Flowers, etc. etc. but I can only listen to them for so long before I just get fatigued of their voice and I have to turn it off. That has . . . never happened listening to Chris sing, and I don't know why. When Chris's voice is at its best I can listen to it happily for hours and hours.

Really, that's probably one of the biggest reasons Coldplay has remained my favorite band for all these years. When Guy, Jonny, and Will are firing on all cylinders and Chris nails the vocal part--there's nothing like it.

That is what I have been trying to figure out! Thanks for describing so well what I have felt intuitively yet did not know hown to express. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

439a16b1e1ae27c875d7f39b4df66794.png

He has an interesting way of writing and is really trying to help the industry with his brutal honesty. I actually gotta give him credit for all the research he does, especially with the shade thrown at Chris's private life and his own quotes. I did a little digging and took a look at this guy's other reviews and I was like, oh ok I see the kind of music reviewer you are. His (at least I think it's a he maybe?) tastes seem to revolve around experimental hip hop and just experimental everything. Vaporwave, deep house, you know the deep underground indie stuff for the most part. He did do reviews on other pop stuff from pit bull and whatever and gave them one star or one and a half stars. He even gave the pixies a low rating, then again I didn't really bother listening to the songs he reviewed so I'm not going to say much, but he knows what he likes and has his preferences. If it's popular and pop and/or manufactured EDM I won't like it mentality seems to be in the minds of tons of reviewers possibly (and you know what I don't entirely blame them for feeling that way but still cut a few artists some slack), especially with that charming writing style lmao. And this is a tiny little website out of the thousands of review sites has many different kinds of people , and I'm sure they've got many like this one. Que será.

Although I have to admit I did call AHFOD their "midlife crisis album" so I don't disagree with that

The fact that they write about Coldplay, means that they think about Coldplay. They want to think they hate Coldplay, but they can't help themselves but write about them.

Bottomline, these people are nobody. And the only way they can be somebody is to talk about famous and well-accomplished people. For some, that's their only ticket to fame.

• Like 4

I think that's because there's actually just 4 reviews of the EP, one of them being a 10. Don't think we'll get any more reviews but the general consensus seems to be that it's a step in the right direction after the mild/mixed reaction AHFOD got.

• Like 1

It's a shame I have to waddle through crap like Lil Sean and Chainsmokers to get to the sound of my favorite band.

Agree. I haven't yet had the chance to listen to KEP in order from beginning to end, but with SJLT and MSS thrown in between the good songs I have the feeling it will be one of those releases that will be hard to listen to entirely.

I really don't think Metacritic is that important, to be honest, but this piece of review from Pitchwork did strike a chord:

"Kaleidoscope isn’t going to kickstart Coldplay’s critical reappraisal, nor does it deserve to. But it rewards those of us who’ve stuck around with a few songs that capture the band at its best."

It's a shame I have to waddle through crap like Lil Sean and Chainsmokers to get to the sound of my favorite band.

And I do like SJLT a little, to be honest (the original, not the low quality live version). I just think a separate single is enough and it shouldn't occupy the little precious space there is on Coldplay releases.

'Lil sean'

Went off Coldplay after their last album completely sucked. Can't get myself to listen to this EP as I know it's more of the same rubbish that was on AHFOD. But I listened to the miracles song and it's not bad so might give it a listen.

Only five songs on the album and two of them are remixes. No idea why they put a remix of Hypnotised on it when they haven't even released the normal version of that song.

• Like 1

Went off Coldplay after their last album completely sucked. Can't get myself to listen to this EP as I know it's more of the same rubbish that was on AHFOD. But I listened to the miracles song and it's not bad so might give it a listen.

Only five songs on the album and two of them are remixes. No idea why they put a remix of Hypnotised on it when they haven't even released the normal version of that song.

Hypnotised isn't a remix, it's just the same version they released back in March but with an extended intro :)

• Like 2

Can't get myself to listen to this EP as I know it's more of the same rubbish that was on AHFOD.

Just two of the new songs are similar to the style of AHFOD (SJLT and MSS) ! You should give the three other songs a listen, they are more reminiscent of the old Coldplay style (AICTAIY, A L I E N S and Hypnotised).

• Like 2

Every odd numbered track is their best in years. You will be suprised

You should check facts before posting, not trying to sound rude. AHFOD had its greats and it's not so greats in it. The EP is a great EP, and Phil Spencer (HARVEY!! lol) even described it as being his favorite collection of songs that they've made. The EP is not an album, it's an EP (extended play). They aren't remixes either, SJLT is just a live mix, and Hypnotised has a "normal version" it's the "non-single" that they released all the way back in March. It's ok their YouTube channel and all other digital sites.

• Like 2

I personally think 60 is way too high of an average score. I'd give it less than 40 myself. It doesn't matter how much you love or dislike the EP, the score on meta will always reflect how the release stands against all other work of music and specifically Coldplay's other efforts. If AROBTTH gets a near 90 score then surely Kaleidoscope and AHFOD should be much much lower.

Some critics are idiots, some not. Most of the notable and respected ones have long gone past the hate-Coldplay phase and give fair and detailed reviews of what they actually think is good or meretricious. Those who bash without detailed analysis aren't even worthy of paying any attention to.