✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Arabesque - Sunrise

danirl87

I knew it....

[ATTACH type=full" width="154px" alt="9499]9499[/ATTACH]

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/coldplay-orphans-arabesque-track-reviews-2560714/amp

That wasn’t what I got from the article.

To me it wasn’t that Noel could have written the song but WISHED he did because of how good it is and how right up his alley it would be. Heh.

• Like 2

That wasn’t what I got from the article.

To me it wasn’t that Noel could have written the song but WISHED he did because of how good it is and how right up his alley it would be. Heh.

Yeah, but I think this song fits Noel's style these days. Repetitive but rock-ish and experimental. There are songs by him, in particular one song, that really sound kind of the same. But that's just my personal opinion. I don't think this is the right thread to post it here.

What I am trying to say is, I knew Noel would love/really like a song like this one with wind-instruments as well. And there's the article!

EDIT: I know pretty much Noel's whole discography of his solo-career and have been a fan since 2/3 years, so I think I'm quite able to hear if some songs do have a bit of a NGHFB-ish sound in a way.

• Like 1

This is exactly what I think. They should have stuck to the instruments they play themselves! They are such talented musicians and play so many instruments. They don't need that much collaboration.

I agree. I can definitely appreciate the sound but... if they choose to play this live...

Yeah, but I think this song fits Noel's style these days. Repetitive but rock-ish and experimental. There are songs by him, in particular one song, that really sound kind of the same. But that's just my personal opinion. I don't think this is the right thread to post it here.

What I am trying to say is, I knew Noel would love/really like a song like this one with wind-instruments as well. And there's the article!

EDIT: I know pretty much Noel's whole discography of his solo-career and have been a fan since 2/3 years, so I think I'm quite able to hear if some songs do have a bit of a NGHFB-ish sound in a way.

Are you talking about The RIght Stuff? Tbh I can definitely see Noel releasing something as experimental or even more daring than Arabesque, especially if David Holmes continues to push him out of his comfort zone on his next album.

• Like 2

This is exactly what I think. They should have stuck to the instruments they play themselves! They are such talented musicians and play so many instruments. They don't need that much collaboration.

As @Famous Old Painter said, hard disagree. If people don't want others to play any instruments on Coldplay albums Davide Rossi should stop collaborating and bands should never use orchestras ever again. They should never bring in any extra collaborators or singers, and Coldplay should definitely stay within their comfort zone and reject any work from other acts. Instead they should use electronic samples if they want strings or brass or anything else they can't play themselves.

Then far more people, including me (and I bet you as well), would be whining about how flat, unauthentic, and uninspiring it sounds (the vast majority of electronic samples or created sounds don't even come close when replicating a real instrument, as I'm sure we can all attest if we've listened to enough pop radio) and wished they would have brought in some people to actually play the parts.

Believe me, I'm a proponent of reduced pop collaboration because it seems like the more pop/rap acts are involved in a song the worse it gets. But with all other collaborations, I say the more the merrier. There would have been so many cursed missed opportunities had Coldplay just shut themselves off from collaboration altogether, and their sound I think would be much more bland and similar to the past (for the people who think they want that, no, I guarantee you you'd be sick and tired of the same thing over and over again and would want them to push into experimental territory as they've done on Viva and other songs, including the most recent one this thread is dedicated to). So overall I'm definitely open to more collaboration than less.

At first listen my husband and I were like what the F*** Is this?? and my husband said, "This isn't Coldplay".

Funny because that's the exact same thing two people I showed this song to said. They both enjoyed it but they definitely noticed the massive switch and could hardly believe it was actually Coldplay. When I first listened to the song I was like "there's no way, this is too freaking good to be true, this is an entirely unprecedented sound from these guys"

Not surprised your 4 year old likes it either, younger kids are usually more open minded to different types of music. This has seemed to carry into a slightly older age for me. :)

I like that they used different instruments, these sections are virtually unheard of in modern popular music and especially in an older band style I don't think that's ever been on the radio before, and for what's considered generally a radio friendly band to do this is crazy. Obviously they have their own signature touch on it as with everything but it's much less noticeable here (Chris' voice still shines through very clearly and obviously though).

Other thing I want to add is how abrupt the song ends

I usually don't like abrupt endings, they've affected two of the best songs from the previous era (and I know one was for a reason, that it led into the intro of the next song on the record), but considering how the song built up I'm surprised I actually like it! It dies away quite quickly but not too fast as to be annoying.

Perhaps it will segue nicely into the next song, but Orphans does that too. Maybe all of these songs were meant to be listened to together as a full piece!

that really sound kind of the same.

Which song from him? I'd like to check it out.

You know the more I listen to this song, the more I feel that the sax part is way too long. :D

Oh boy, you wouldn't wanna listen to some of the stuff I listen to. 10 minute long instrumental sections. :joy:

It is a little lengthy for just a single instrument solo and I noticed it went on a little but I'm glad they got across all the ideas they wanted to! I think it sounds more "full" and fleshed out that way and carries a mild tension to it where you kind of get surprised at the length of the solo, then you're awaiting the next part or for something to evolve and then it does.

I think these sorts of lengthy solos aren't too uncommon in this style of music though so I'm not surprised. I thought some parts of Orphans could be extended (can't wait for the instrumentals to be released) but it is the radio single for right now so it's no surprise it's a little short (already heard it once on Alt Nation the other day).

• Like 6

Are you talking about The RIght Stuff? Tbh I can definitely see Noel releasing something as experimental or even more daring than Arabesque, especially if David Holmes continues to push him out of his comfort zone on his next album.

I was also thinking a little bit about The Right Stufd because it has a very long instrumentel as well.

You know the more I listen to this song, the more I feel that the sax part is way too long. :D

Really? You are talking 'bout Arabesque, right?

Which song from him? I'd like to check it out.

As someone mentioned before, The Right Stuff, but that is only because of the instrumental section though. The song I was more thinking of is one of his recent songs. It was released a month or 2 ago, which is called Evil Flower. It's pretty experimental, Noel also said in interviews that he want to get away from that Oasis sound. So, now he's making music for his own and he loves it, many Oasis fans really hate his music since his last album and EP's.

It's the opposite for me!

The first time I listened to it I thought they've gone too far with the extra-long sax solo.

Now I adore it!

When they play this song live, I hope Jonny will do 50% (or 100% :)) of the solo on guitar and the other 50% by sax (live as well with some other musicians!!!!!), that would make me satisfied! =D

• Like 2

Been listening to this song since we got it and still can't get over it. This is beyond what I was hoping for. I was cautiously optimistic about the album before, but cautious is going out the window now. Album can't come soon enough.

I definitely want to hear this song live at least once. But even more than that, I hope we get to see this performed at the Grammys. This song seems tailor-made for it. The global collaboration, the message, the sound. Imagine stromae, the kuti family and le trio joubran on stage with Coldplay!

• Like 7

Arabesque made me return to this forum, since a long time. Their last album didn't do much for me...

So Arabesque... what a surprise! Everytime I listen to it, it's all goosebumps and shivers. It's surreal to me that this is on a new Coldplay album. What an unbelievable genius piece of music!! So much dept, feeling, power. I think everything is perfect in the song: the long brass part, Stromae, Chris swearing at the end, it's raw, it's honest, it's real. And the music at the end.. OMG! Euphoria!

I like Orphans too. It's a solid song, great melody and not overly polished or poppy. I feel Viva vibes. So, I'm very very curious about everything else on the album.

• Like 5

About Jonny doing the solo.....

He actually is very much at work already during the sax solo (which I absolutely love especially that reverby bit). You can hear him in the background and he’s absolutely SHREDDING it is one of the best things about this song in my opinion

Unfortunately Jonny does not play in Arabesque. Playing the guitar are : Le Trio Joubran (acoustic guitar), Drew Goddard and Chris. Although Jonny is in the writing credits so I guess we can say that we do hear him somehow ? :grinning::joy:

But yeah I agree the guitar work is absolutely superb in this song and for me too it's one of the best things about Arabesque.

• Like 2

About Jonny doing the solo.....

He actually is very much at work already during the sax solo (which I absolutely love especially that reverby bit). You can hear him in the background and he’s absolutely SHREDDING it is one of the best things about this song in my opinion

Yeahhhh, but I don't think he'll do that riff during the whole song though!

Unfortunately Jonny does not play in Arabesque. Playing the guitar are : Le Trio Joubran (acoustic guitar), Drew Goddard and Chris. Although Jonny is in the writing credits so I guess we can say that we do hear him somehow ? :grinning::joy:

But yeah I agree the guitar work is absolutely superb in this song and for me too it's one of the best things about Arabesque.

What? Wait, let me get this right. So, the electric guitar part is not written by Jonny?

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1

That's... actually disappointing. I thought for sure Jonny was in there somewhere. But yeah, it makes sense that he's credited because I'm assuming he was part of that original Arabesque jam 10-ish years ago which Chris wasn't a part of. And perhaps he came up with the riffs in demos of the song before handing them off to Drew Goddard.

I'm realllllly hoping they play this amazing track live, though, so we can actually hear Jonny give it a go.

• Like 5