✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Live at the Natural History Museum London 25 Nov 2019

Captain Crieff

Needs a subscription to read the whole thing. :(

Here's the full text, but I am not sure I am allowed to post it here. If not, delete it.

Coldplay review — Chris Martin and co emerged well from their ethical downsizing

★★★★☆

Chris Martin leant into the microphone and gave a smile. “Normally we’d have some fireworks at this point.” Not tonight. This, if you believe the PR, was the first step in Coldplay’s planet-saving reinvention. The biggest stadium band in the world are trying to reduce their carbon footprint, so this relatively tiny show and one earlier in the week in Jordan are all we are getting for the moment to support their new album, Everyday Life.

*full text removed*

• Like 1

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the gig is going to be filmed! there are cameramen in the room (info from our man in attendance, Stephen)

The Jordan gig (the day after the livestream) also was filmed.

I think this could be something for a concert film Blu-ray release in near future?

• Like 1

Although I'm sad they aren't playing much this era, this just makes me glad that I did see them twice during the AFHOD tour. Over the past few years I've become increasingly worried about the environment myself, and I can understand their reasons for not touring. Although I always used to wish I saw them before AHFOD, I think it was an amazing point in terms of the spectacular scale of the tour that they might not reach again for a long time or even ever for good reasons. And I'm not sure how I feel about the acoustic version of Fix You either...it's definitely a song that works better as a big dramatic moment with Chris lying down at the beginning and then running back to the A stage and the whole band singing at the end. Fix You isn't my all time favorite Coldplay song now, but it live was a big part of the reason I was so blown away the first time I saw them and I became such a big fan.

• Like 2

Oh...i'm so touched by Gal Gadot's happiness (not!). Wonder how much time she and her husband spent refreshing the gigsandtours.com page to attend the gig...or what on earth she can do for a sustainable gig (beside a post on instagram or tweet) to be invited to see Coldplays' sound-check.

Probably she just rent a private jet from L.A. to London to contribute for the environment in the world...and did even not make-up herself to gain the band's invitation...

Like someone before said.....

Coldplay, You're sooooooooooooooooooooooo faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

(Sorry for some obvious sarcastic outburst )

• Like 4

Like someone else said, life isn't always fair. There were quite a few (all positive) articles and reviews about the show online, not all of them from UK journalists. I also heard about non-uk radio stations giving away tickets. Plus the band flew all the way to Jordan for their album launch. That's why to me the nhm gig overall seems more like a promotion thing and them raising awareness of the impact that concerts etc. can have on the environment. And I think it's great that they're doing that. Having said that I think it's normal that we feel sad to have missed out. I hope that all those 400 or so guests made donations to the charity at least.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Hey everyone,

I thought I would come on here and talk about my experience and explain a few things! I was lucky enough to receive an invite from Coldplay as a thank you for the support we have given them during the past few months. Promotion for this album from fan sites and fans, in general, was key during this era as it was of course, marketed differently to other albums.

We arrived at the Museum with an hour or so until the doors opened. There were two entrances, the left one being for general admission ticket holders and the right being for VIP or guest list. There were many people waiting outside the guestlist gate, however, security made us form a queue and would not let non-guestlist people join. In the end, there were about 20 people in the guestlist queue and another 20 waiting at the gate, perhaps looking to sneak their way in.

The door opening was slightly delayed as they were not ready but a nice lady came out to check that we were actually on the list. A man that had been waiting for an hour was turned away as he was not on the list! Many people tried to push their way in along with guestlist ticket holders and were generally disrespectful as they clearly didn't have tickets but were trying to cheat the system. We were second in the queue and were promptly let into the venue where we were searched by security, given a love button and our tickets. Greg James was behind us in the queue by the way! As usual, guestlist tickets are in envelopes and at the desk, there didn't seem to be too many envelopes. This leads me to believe that the 500 guestlist tickets rumour is false. There was nowhere near 500 envelopes there.

Also, this was a charity event. In the email sent out to all guestlist ticket holders, they insisted that each person donated £25 or more to ClientEarth. Cash or credit card was accepted. Even though we did not pay for our tickets, we donated as much as we could. There was also a merchandise stand with a limited edition t-shirt and poster. Overall I think I spent £80 on merchandise, all of which went to ClientEarth. I recognised a few important faces, let's say they are high up in the food chain, so I can assure you they donated a lot of money! Hopefully, that dispels the claim that most people did not pay for their tickets, therefore, defeating the purpose of a charity event.

I am not sure why there is so much controversy around this event. Think of it as a private charity event where many record label executives, friends, family and various wealthy folk were invited. We were very lucky that the public was invited at all! The venue was minuscule and could barely fit everyone in. I can genuinely not think of a better way they could have sold the tickets. Giving them to randomers has people arguing that 'real fans' missed out on this opportunity. Only letting superfans in would cause people to argue that they have seen the band enough and to let others have a go. It's a very difficult decision to make and logistically very difficult. In conclusion, if you didn't get tickets, you just weren't lucky, there is zero point in complaining.

Anyway, inside our envelope was two tickets, two wristbands and a piece of paper. We made our way past security and were lucky enough to get to the barrier! Standing that close to the stage was surreal and it took me a few minutes to realise that we had made it! Ian from ColdplayXtra was also present along with his girlfriend. All three of us were so excited to be at the barrier. Phil and his wife were also there along with their son. We pretty much bumped into each other leaving the gig but I didn't want to interrupt him out of respect.

Coming back to the envelope: There was a small piece of paper inviting us to the aftershow party at a bar in London (address obfuscated). We headed back to the hotel to drop off our merchandise and got a taxi to the hotel bar. It was at an extremely prestigious hotel in London! Security asked to see our wristbands and we were let in. We met with Ian and his girlfriend and got ourselves a table for the night. Food and drink were totally free (except a gin and tonic that I spent 22 euro on...). Shrimp, truffles and spring rolls were among the food given out.

IMG_7180.jpeg

I tried to network with as many people as possible. I met Mat Whitecross who I had previously spoken to over the phone for a few hours. He was delightful and took the time to speak to me again! Norah Shaqur was sitting across from us and spoke to us for a while. After telling her how much I loved her performance and her dress, she spoke to us for a while about recording the album, travelling and tour details (spoiler, that was the final show). She was extremely kind, thankful, friendly and an overall joyous person.

We spotted Jacob Collier who was wearing a brightly coloured outfit, you could not miss him! Ian introduced both of us and he was also extremely kind and funny (notice a trend here!). Femi Kuti's fellow musicians were also present along with comedian Al Murray, Coldplay staff and more.

There was a separate, smaller bar for Coldplay. The band was present along with their families. This was strictly family only as even their security guards were not allowed in! Speaking of, Chris' security guards were in great form and wished me a great night as we left the building.

I spotted Debs Wild walk in and after our many interactions over the years I knew I had to say hi! After telling her who I was she gave me a big hug and introduced me to her friend and spoke highly of me and Ian. We spent the next hour discussing mutual friends, Coldplay and a bunch of other stuff. She looked after all of us and was by far the nicest person I have met in a long time! Kudos to Debs for all the support she has given us over the years.

And that concludes my trip to London to see Coldplay. I have had many opportunities to do this before but cancelled due to exams. I could not turn this down though! Let me know if you guys have any questions

-Stephen

• Like 16
  • Wow 6
  • Angry 1

Hey everyone,

I thought I would come on here and talk about my experience and explain a few things! I was lucky enough to receive an invite from Coldplay as a thank you for the support we have given them during the past few months. Promotion for this album from fan sites and fans, in general, was key during this era as it was of course, marketed differently to other albums.

We arrived at the Museum with an hour or so until the doors opened. There were two entrances, the left one being for general admission ticket holders and the right being for VIP or guest list. There were many people waiting outside the guestlist gate, however, security made us form a queue and would not let non-guestlist people join. In the end, there were about 20 people in the guestlist queue and another 20 waiting at the gate, perhaps looking to sneak their way in.

The door opening was slightly delayed as they were not ready but a nice lady came out to check that we were actually on the list. A man that had been waiting for an hour was turned away as he was not on the list! Many people tried to push their way in along with guestlist ticket holders and were generally disrespectful as they clearly didn't have tickets but were trying to cheat the system. We were second in the queue and were promptly let into the venue where we were searched by security, given a love button and our tickets. Greg James was behind us in the queue by the way! As usual, guestlist tickets are in envelopes and at the desk, there didn't seem to be too many envelopes. This leads me to believe that the 500 guestlist tickets rumour is false. There was nowhere near 500 envelopes there.

Also, this was a charity event. In the email sent out to all guestlist ticket holders, they insisted that each person donated £25 or more to ClientEarth. Cash or credit card was accepted. Even though we did not pay for our tickets, we donated as much as we could. There was also a merchandise stand with a limited edition t-shirt and poster. Overall I think I spent £80 on merchandise, all of which went to ClientEarth. I recognised a few important faces, let's say they are high up in the food chain, so I can assure you they donated a lot of money! Hopefully, that dispels the claim that most people did not pay for their tickets, therefore, defeating the purpose of a charity event.

I am not sure why there is so much controversy around this event. Think of it as a private charity event where many record label executives, friends, family and various wealthy folk were invited. We were very lucky that the public was invited at all! The venue was minuscule and could barely fit everyone in. I can genuinely not think of a better way they could have sold the tickets. Giving them to randomers has people arguing that 'real fans' missed out on this opportunity. Only letting superfans in would cause people to argue that they have seen the band enough and to let others have a go. It's a very difficult decision to make and logistically very difficult. In conclusion, if you didn't get tickets, you just weren't lucky, there is zero point in complaining.

Anyway, inside our envelope was two tickets, two wristbands and a piece of paper. We made our way past security and were lucky enough to get to the barrier! Standing that close to the stage was surreal and it took me a few minutes to realise that we had made it! Ian from ColdplayXtra was also present along with his girlfriend. All three of us were so excited to be at the barrier. Phil and his wife were also there along with their son. We pretty much bumped into each other leaving the gig but I didn't want to interrupt him out of respect.

Coming back to the envelope: There was a small piece of paper inviting us to the aftershow party at a bar in London (address obfuscated). We headed back to the hotel to drop off our merchandise and got a taxi to the hotel bar. It was at an extremely prestigious hotel in London! Security asked to see our wristbands and we were let in. We met with Ian and his girlfriend and got ourselves a table for the night. Food and drink were totally free (except a gin and tonic that I spent 22 euro on...). Shrimp, truffles and spring rolls were among the food given out.

[ATTACH=full]9808[/ATTACH]

I tried to network with as many people as possible. I met Mat Whitecross who I had previously spoken to over the phone for a few hours. He was delightful and took the time to speak to me again! Norah Shaqur was sitting across from us and spoke to us for a while. After telling her how much I loved her performance and her dress, she spoke to us for a while about recording the album, travelling and tour details (spoiler, that was the final show). She was extremely kind, thankful, friendly and an overall joyous person.

We spotted Jacob Collier who was wearing a brightly coloured outfit, you could not miss him! Ian introduced both of us and he was also extremely kind and funny (notice a trend here!). Femi Kuti's fellow musicians were also present along with comedian Al Murray, Coldplay staff and more.

There was a separate, smaller bar for Coldplay. The band was present along with their families. This was strictly family only as even their security guards were not allowed in! Speaking of, Chris' security guards were in great form and wished me a great night as we left the building.

I spotted Debs Wild walk in and after our many interactions over the years I knew I had to say hi! After telling her who I was she gave me a big hug and introduced me to her friend and spoke highly of me and Ian. We spent the next hour discussing mutual friends, Coldplay and a bunch of other stuff. She looked after all of us and was by far the nicest person I have met in a long time! Kudos to Debs for all the support she has given us over the years.

And that concludes my trip to London to see Coldplay. I have had many opportunities to do this before but cancelled due to exams. I could not turn this down though! Let me know if you guys have any questions

-Stephen

Thanks for the really detailed description! Since most people didn't get the chance to go, thanks for telling us what it was like. It must have been really cool attending such a small performance.

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

As usual, guestlist tickets are in envelopes and at the desk, there didn't seem to be too many envelopes. This leads me to believe that the 500 guestlist tickets rumour is false. There was nowhere near 500 envelopes there.

Don't forget the record company guests got their tickets before the gig as someone posted on instagram a couple of hours before with their tickets in their hands. So that's probably a couple of hundred.

• Like 1

tour details (spoiler, that was the final show)

Wow ok, so they're not gonna do a few performances for EL next year though ? I thought Chris said there were gonna be 7 performances in total, so far we only had 2 public ones.

Maybe without the guest musicians...?

By the way, sorry for being so inactive on this thread, everyone ! I have A LOT to tell you about my Monday miracle in London but so little time...also preparing for one or two cool things to share, so hope to catch up soon !

• Like 3

Absolute Radio will broadcast some highlights from the gig along with an interview with Chris tonight! Tune in at 9 pm UK time.

[MEDIA=twitter]1200069252411273218[/MEDIA]

View: https://twitter.com/absoluteradio/status/1200069252411273218

here are some links to listen. If you're in the UK:

https://planetradio.co.uk/absolute-radio/player/

If you're not in the UK you can just google a UK postcode, enter it and it will work. Or you can use this link:

http://www.radio-uk.co.uk/absolute-radio

Hey everyone,

I thought I would come on here and talk about my experience and explain a few things!

-Stephen

Thank you very much for the detailed report. I am glad you had a great time and the organisation wasn't as bad as you could read on the internet.

Could you please tell us something about the atmosphere, the band and the songs?

Were the listeners into the music? I read some of them left the room before the end.

You were close to the band. Did they enjoy themselves? Did they give their best? Was there a good interaction between them?

Was the music live as good as on the album?

Which song did you enjoy the most, which the least?

Why did the members of Coldplay not speak to the invited guests at the party? That surely was disappointing, wasnt it?

Who said that this was the last show? Chris formerly said there would be about 7 small shows.

You neednt answer all the questions, just the ones you would like to answer.

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Absolute Radio will broadcast some highlights from the gig along with an interview with Chris tonight! Tune in at 9 pm UK time.

[MEDIA=twitter]1200069252411273218[/MEDIA]

View: https://twitter.com/absoluteradio/status/1200069252411273218

here are some links to listen. If you're in the UK:

https://planetradio.co.uk/absolute-radio/player/

If you're not in the UK you can just google a UK postcode, enter it and it will work. Or you can use this link:

http://www.radio-uk.co.uk/absolute-radio

Will anybody be recording all the things going on today? I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving while all this stuff is happening.

• Like 2

Hey everyone,

Great story Stephen! Nice that you've shared this with us :)

• Like 1