✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

Sorry this maybe a little off-topic but this tweet got me thinking about the Xylobands thing again. Those wristbands seen on the iheartradio show had writing on them saying they were recycled plastic, with Xylobands confirming on twitter those aren't their product. Those seen on iheartradio were also really uncomfortable according to some people.

I always thought Coldplay had a fair share of involvement in the Xylobands brand, owning the trademarks at one point as well. During worthy farm, they used a massive set of lights on the grass, which looked very much like the Xylobands Orbs, seen in a few videos on twitter.

I've kept all my Xylobands as memories, as well as brought them to later concerts with new batteries. Really hope the new products are still developed by Xylobands / with Xylobands.

18 minutes ago, BerheavedTripod8 said:

Sorry this maybe a little off-topic but this tweet got me thinking about the Xylobands thing again. Those wristbands seen on the iheartradio show had writing on them saying they were recycled plastic, with Xylobands confirming on twitter those aren't their product. Those seen on iheartradio were also really uncomfortable according to some people.

I always thought Coldplay had a fair share of involvement in the Xylobands brand, owning the trademarks at one point as well. During worthy farm, they used a massive set of lights on the grass, which looked very much like the Xylobands Orbs, seen in a few videos on twitter.

I've kept all my Xylobands as memories, as well as brought them to later concerts with new batteries. Really hope the new products are still developed by Xylobands / with Xylobands.

Seem return of Xyloband brand on next tour

33 minutes ago, BerheavedTripod8 said:

The only way that would work is MOTS vol. 2 in 2022, MOTS vol. 3 in 2023, FFTF in 2024. Would fit the 12 album theory chris said on the radio a few days back, but wouldn't fit the "We'll keep on touring after we finished writing new songs" from that same interview. 

Maybe they had all songs for next 3 albums yet... Or maybe for MOTS II and III and they released parte II and III in 2022. In this case in 2023 they can write new material for the 2024 album

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:53 PM, Jaes said:

Even if all the other songs on the album were terrible (which I'm sure won't happen), it is saved by this beautiful thing. Coloratura is amazing. We live in a beautiful world.

After listening to the whole album, I still think the same thing.

What I feel is... except for Coloratura, if you've listened to Overtura and the singles, you've practically heard everything. The songs don't progress, they stay in one sound and are repetitive.

Infinity Sign is okay and People of the Pride could have been SO MUCH better.

Edited by Jaes
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BerheavedTripod8 said:

The only way that would work is MOTS vol. 2 in 2022, MOTS vol. 3 in 2023, FFTF in 2024. Would fit the 12 album theory chris said on the radio a few days back, but wouldn't fit the "We'll keep on touring after we finished writing new songs" from that same interview. 

Chris has ben saying the same since Viva la Vida... xD

• Like 1

For me doesn't sound like an album that I listen to until the end, but only a few songs, like Humankind e Coloratura. When I first see the title Music of the Spheres I was hoping for something so much better and conceptual. It's strange to have My Universe and Coloratura on the same album, but I think that was what the guys wanted, and it's ok.

But Coloratura, wow, the best song since I know them.

Edited by _josemarcelo
  • Like 1

I think everything has already been told ... Music of The Spheres is not Coldplay's best record for sure. It's also the first time I don't take a Coldplay album as a whole and I know it goes with the " one song for one sphere " idea but ... I don't feel it. The band has always been so minutious with the atmosphere of their other eras that I can't help feeling something a bit too bland and neutral. 

It doesn't mean the songs are bad : Human Heart, Infinity Sign and of course Coloratura sound really amazing to me. Maybe the problem comes of the way they thought about it at the beginning : it feels like they wanted a record to tour with and they made a universe after that statement. I wanted them to be free from the beginning and release something from their pure musicality. I don't know how they worked on this one, it feels like Chris would send ideas to the other members from his studio in L.A and they just followed the lead, with maybe less brainstorming and big studio sessions than Everyday Life. Coloratura feels like when they finally got together and made a song together, as old friends.

Still I can hear Chris and Coldplay's talent, I know it's here. But it could have been done differently... Anyway. Love them ♥

Edited by Eskapist
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, thomasPh said:

On apple music:

image.thumb.png.97c4f5a49b29612ff882bc2ab37439ce.png

So, seem the best title is the one where max martin is the least present.

It makes sense, it is a beautiful song and even when it has Coldplay brand on it, feels like something completely new. But being realistic the average consumer will not show interest on those kind of songs and you can tell it based on the views Coloratura has. The band and the label know it and after all they need to have a profit which I totally understand. And I'm happy they gave us that masterpiece ?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, thomasPh said:

Guy en apple music:

image.thumb.png.97c4f5a49b29612ff882bc2ab37439ce.png

Entonces, parece que el mejor título es aquel en el que Max Martin está menos presente.

Well, I think Guy is very honest and sows everything very clear with this album.

Coloratura could be what the band whis to do and the singles and collaborations impositions of Warner...

Got no problem with a poppy album, obviously not their best but the majority of these songs will sound great in a stadium which is what they were going for I think.

Biutyful and People of the Pride my picks after Coloratura of course. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

I hope not....

Screenshot_20211014-233142.png

That abbreviation could be anything really.

A website called acronymfinder says it might be:  Fight for the Future

That makes some sense because the band has expressed more desire to be increasingly more environmental in what they do etc.

You don’t become one of the biggest bands in the world without sticking to a system. In Coldplay’s case, that means starting every album with an agreed-upon title that dictates the project’s direction, from songwriting to production style to visuals. “It allows us a little bit of discipline in the studio knowing what we're trying to build,” bassist Guy Berryman tells Apple Music. “If you're building a building without any kind of architect's drawings, you would just start piling bricks on top of each other.” This preparation particularly came in handy in the case of a paralysing global pandemic. Since 2019's Everyday Life was always intended to be stripped-down and introspective, without the customary world tour, the band already had a trove of songs earmarked for a proper larger-than-life affair and a vision for their use. They knew it would be called Music of the Spheres and they knew it would be helmed by Swedish über-producer Max Martin (no relation to frontman Chris), a partnership they kicked the tires on with the Everyday Life track “Orphans”. “He's just so talented and everything just meshed together so well with everybody's personalities in the studio,” Berryman says. “We had thought ahead to playing in big stadiums.”

Lead single “Higher Power” could not have made those blockbuster intentions clearer or been a better showcase for (Max) Martin’s trademark pop sheen. The entire project is so imbued with youthful spirit that five tracks have emojis as titles. “Let Somebody Go” features Selena Gomez, while “My Universe” boasts none other than K-pop phenomenon BTS, who could always use some brains to pick as they learn how to navigate megastardom. “I think they're bigger than us,” Berryman says. “We should have been asking them.” Read on for behind-the-scenes tales of making Music of the Spheres.

?
“That’s an intro piece called ‘Music of the Spheres’. We always make albums as a whole, and we started putting interludes and musical sections between songs, almost like palate cleansers.”

“Higher Power”
“I think people needed to have something uplifting. We wanted to put out this optimism and positivity into everything on this album. The famous story which is going around about this song is how Chris kind of was tapping out the drum pattern on a bathroom sink, and he recorded it on his phone and then went and wrote the song on top of it.”

“Humankind”
“You can sketch ideas out in the studio sometimes, and that was one we were really kind of struggling with before Max took the reins. It didn't sound very fresh; it had a good energy, but was maybe just a little bit too rock for us, and he really gave it more of a modern shine. It could be from just editing the basic song and the song structure or it could be adjusting slightly the rhythm pattern to make it all stick together better.”

“It's an interlude.”

“Let Somebody Go” (feat. Selena Gomez)
“It's just a really lovely ballad. And quite early on we realised it needed a female counterpart to the vocal. And we were very grateful that when we asked Selena to sing on it, she loved the song and was happy to do so. Collaborations in general are something that we've done more of recently. We never really used to do it before. When we were younger, we kind of locked ourselves in a room and felt we had to prove everything ourselves. But I think as time has gone on, it's become more interesting for us to work with other people from different parts of the world, different genres. It just adds colour and character to the music.”

❤️” (feat. We Are KING and Jacob Collier)
“We love the way that sound shaped up with all the stacked layers of vocals; it's almost like a modern-sounding gospel song in some ways. Sometimes as a musician, it's my job to step in and say, 'Actually, the best course of action for me is to not play anything at all, because what we created here has a much more unique sound.' You have to take your ego out of the picture and understand that the best job you can do is leave something alone. Because then it allows the other songs around it to sound bigger and fuller.”

“People of the Pride”
“We started the song probably over 10 years ago and couldn’t really finish it. Again, this was one which Max really helped shape sonically. The way we had it before, it sounded a little bit old-fashioned, almost like glam rock. What Max managed to do was take the energy and layer in a way which preserved that feel but also made it sound very modern at the same time.”

“Biutyful”
“That's quite an interesting song from a production point of view, because it's really kind of pushing the boundary for us in terms of vocal identity. The manipulated voice is almost like an alien character singing this song. Is it Chris' voice? That is highly, highly confidential. Nobody will ever know. It's going to be a big old secret.”

?
“It’s an interlude.”

“My Universe” (feat. BTS)
“BTS were asked in an interview who they'd like to collaborate with, potentially, and a couple of the guys said they'd love to collaborate with us. A lot of the themes on this album are about bringing people together and taking away divisions and walls and boundaries and all of these human constructs that keep people apart. So we felt like this would be great because it's an unusual collaboration between people who are known to come from a different genre and completely different part of the world.”

♾️
“That is not an interlude, it’s a longer piece—a collaboration with an old friend of ours who has been on our albums before, Jon Hopkins. He's an unbelievably talented musician, piano player and arranger. He works in an electronic genre on his own music, so he has the ability to create these very beautiful landscapes in a way that none of us can really do.”

“Coloratura”
“Each album can quite easily be defined by the singles you release on the radio, and it's always important to us when we make albums to include many different moods and textures and styles. So it was important to us, as a counterbalance to some of the poppier songs, to have something which was unashamedly long and complicated. It started off with more of a conventional song structure, then Chris came in one day and showed us the arrangement including all these interludes and sections between the parts we were already familiar with; it was a big challenge to piece it all together. Max's involvement on that song was extremely minimal; if he got hands on it, I think it would be chopped up into something a lot shorter, the chorus 10 seconds in.”

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Care 3

Old Coldplayer checking in, well not an old person, but a fan from the 00s. What has happened to this band? It’s just awful. How can a band go from writing such masterpieces on another level to this utter rubbish? It’s like Chris Martin has gone fully loopy and they all just go along with his insane ideas. So depressing because they were so good, Chris and the band were genius, now it’s just embarrassingly bad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, JackColdplay said:

Old Coldplayer checking in, well not an old person, but a fan from the 00s. What has happened to this band? It’s just awful. How can a band go from writing such masterpieces on another level to this utter rubbish? It’s like Chris Martin has gone fully loopy and they all just go along with his insane ideas. So depressing because they were so good, Chris and the band were genius, now it’s just embarrassingly bad. 

They're just trying out new stuff. I don't know why people think they'd churn out the same kind of music for 20 years, they'd probably get criticised for that as well!

Screenshot_20211015-012654_Spotify.thumb.jpg.f0c3bb359a4af408ebdf65782b6a1a06.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-012720_Spotify.thumb.jpg.17a588d875110fd2129e7ee33074463a.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-012729_Spotify.thumb.jpg.747b486ce41d807bd677b465c2084005.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SPC7 said:

They're just trying out new stuff. I don't know why people think they'd churn out the same kind of music for 20 years, they'd probably get criticised for that as well!

Screenshot_20211015-012654_Spotify.thumb.jpg.f0c3bb359a4af408ebdf65782b6a1a06.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-012720_Spotify.thumb.jpg.17a588d875110fd2129e7ee33074463a.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-012729_Spotify.thumb.jpg.747b486ce41d807bd677b465c2084005.jpg

I don’t care if it’s different. It’s just that they’re not very good songs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 2

4 minutes ago, JackColdplay said:

I don’t care if it’s different. It’s just that they’re not very good songs. 

I gotta disagree there, of course you're valid for your own opinion as am I but they hit a new height with these new songs and venturing out to new featurettes, we thought back in the mid 2010s that it was just gonna be Jay-Z and Rihanna that they [officially] collabed with and that was it with the release of GS and the unofficial credit to Beyoncé and Noel Gallagher in AHFOD. It all comes down to how you view what the change is, you of course see it as bad, others won't and both of those are okay. To me this is an exciting new pathway to explore for Coldplay, if you go to the same stuff people get bored of it more often than not. It's a bit blunt to go slate Chris for wanting to experience new ideas though... 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JackColdplay said:

I sorta know how you feel.

To be fair I don't loathe Coldplay's new stuff but I feel their library of work is like an ocean it ebbs and flows for me.

Parachutes - Decent

ARoBttH - Adored 

X&Y - Decent / Mixed Feelings

Viva - Adored 

Mylo - Decent / Mixed Feelings

Ghost Stories - Adored

AHfoDreams -  Decent / Mixed Feelings

Everyday Life - Adored

• Like 2

Ranked:

1. Coloratura (10/10) - 'Nuff said, gorgeous music.

2. Beautiful (8/10) - I really enjoy this, so strange and pretty.

3. Humankind (7/10) - Fun! Catchy!

4. Human Heart (7/10) - Pretty ballad, nice song.

5. Higher Power (7/10) - Good chorus, great verses, lazy in the middle-eight.

6. People of the Pride (6/10) - Epic in some parts, cringe in others

7. My Universe (6/10) - Same.

8. Infinity Sign (6/10) - Yeah, it's nice.

9. All the Interludes - (5/10) - Meh.

10. Let Somebody Go (4/10) - Boooooring.

Overall, it's... fine. It's there. It's colourful and varied, but incohesive and slight. There's still a lot of creativity in this band, but they need an Eno figure to bring it back out of them again. Doesn't touch Everyday Life.

• Like 2

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion