✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

On 10/15/2021 at 2:02 PM, JackColdplay said:

They’ve also gone way overboard with filling albums with less than aΒ minute filler tracks. Life in Technicolour and Mylo Xyloto for example it worked, now it’s just disappointment.Β 

Agreed. The interludes aren't having the same effect on this album as it did with the others. It's nowΒ coming across as an obligation to have an interlude (and an intro even) instead of it flowing with the rest of the songs.Β 

Edited by shred
  • Like 2

My final comment, I can’t even be bothered to remember the β€œgospel” song onΒ the last album, or the β€œgospely” song onΒ the latest album, featuring 2 other artists. Totally forgettable and skippable. If I wanted to listen to gospel music, I’d listen to the crΓ¨me de la crΓ¨me gospel music, the masterpieces of that genre, not Chris’ wacky idea that results in a far below average song slotted intoΒ a disjointed bizarre album. Surely Jonny, Guy and Will just say, β€œeff it, ok Chris, we’re loaded anyway”? Phil’s just there for the ride.Β 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, The_Blue_Room said:

Just so you know, a lot of the leaks floating around are using the single versions of HP, MU and Coloratura, which don't have the proper transitions between tracks (which is why some people are saying the transition between MOTS2 and MU is so abrupt). The proper album versions flow more smoothly.

Β 

Edit: A way to tell whether you have the right versions: the album version of HP should start with some sound from MOTS before the "3 2 1" (the single version is just silent before the "3 2 1") and the album version of MU should have crowd noise during the intro.

Apple Music / iTunes Version doesn't have the proper transitions as well. Includes the single versions of HP and MU.

Guess Parlophone messed it up. Hope they fix that soon.

57 minutes ago, hardti said:

Apple Music / iTunes Version doesn't have the proper transitions as well. Includes the single versions of HP and MU.

Guess Parlophone messed it up. Hope they fix that soon.

Wow, so that's why I can't find a proper version! Unbelievable that they'd screw something like that up. Maybe once someone shares a CD rip I can download that instead.

Here's my review (co-posted to r/Coldplay!)

'm nearly done with Coloratura which I've listened to plenty of times, so here's my initial review. It's shortβ€”like curiously short. I'm surprised at how, I guess, incomplete it feels even though it's definitely an experience from beginning to end.

That being said, I enjoyed it more than I anticipated earlier this year when we got news about BTS, etc. The only dud for me so far is Let Somebody Go; Pride of the People will have to grow on me too.

But, the standout tracks are really, really good. MOTS is an excellent instrumental opener, Humankind blew me away, Biutyful somehow works with its high-pitched tuning, and Infinity Sign is a killer Jon Hopkins track that really sets the mood for what I wanted from the rest of the album.

Oh, the production is legitimately great. Max Martin really, really impressed me with that. I expected a muddled mess a la Ghost Stories/AHFOD, but I'm glad to be wrong.

I'm not going to try to rate or rank it because it's too early. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. It feels much more put together than AHFOD (or the entire era) ever did, so I personally feel it isn't fair comparing those two albums.

• Like 1

Brilliant

Coloratura 10/10

Music of the Spheres 9.5/10

Β 

Great

Humankind 7.5/10

People of the Pride 7/10

Β 

Good

Human Heart 6.5/10

Higher Power 6/10

Infinity Sign 6/10
Β 

Eh

Alien choir 5/10

Let Somebody Go 4.5/10

BAD

Biutyful 4/10

My Universe 3/10

MOTS2 3/10

On 9/10/2021 at 13:07, 42JTR said:

Β 

Edited by Dherlax

18 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

It's on spotify here, which country you're in?

Mexico here. Looks like it was due to time zone, not sure... The banner on Spotify said Now Available since 10/14 11 PM but the album wasn't there, it was until past midnight... Good thing I'm now playing on repeat.

• Like 1

Coloratura still the man who walks around owning the freaking lot... People of the Pride comes next and I'm really surprised by MOTS, great intro and it has those space vibes to me. Also I really liked ♾️, I was hoping to hear some lyrics, but the song is a mood booster to me and is one of my favorites kind-of-instrumental Coldplay's songs (1st place goes to Chinese Sleep Chant). I enjoyed the album, not a 10/10 to me but it has really good stuff in it and we have outstanding material for a world tour.

• Like 1

Also special thanks to the people behind the visuals we have on YouTube for each track that's just a piece of art. Is a different experience watching those along with the music. I hope we get the full video as in Ghost Stories era (I still enjoy watching it every once in a while)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dherlax said:

Brilliant

Coloratura 10/10

Music of the Spheres 9.5/10

Β 

Great

Humankind 7.5/10

People of the Pride 7/10

Β 

Good

Human Heart 6.5/10

Higher Power 6/10

Infinity Sign 6/10
Β 

Eh

Alien choir 5/10

Let Somebody Go 4.5/10

BAD

Biutyful 4/10

My Universe 3/10

MOTS2 3/10

Kinda agree with this.

• Like 1

I think MOTS is on par with AHFOD. It has definitely better production, but on the other side, MOTS feels just like a collection of songs that band recorded over time and decided to put together on one album. Album is not cohesive, most songs feels out of place. Chris vocals are fantastic ( i will not commentΒ Biutyful, really hate this type of vocals/music), but what bothers me is that the other members of band are really left behind on MOTS. Apart from Coloratura/ Humankind / POTP Jonny's contribution is almost non-existent. Guy's bass is very casual throughout album. But the biggest problem for me isΒ Will's drumming. Even on Coloratura, he is playing so safe that i started wondering what has happened to him. On many songs he is using electric drums, which i really hate - OneRepublic started to use electric drums almost on every song and look where are they now, almost nobody cares about 1R in 2021. I must say i am really disappointed. No doubt World Tour will be great and one could say that album was made just for it. Song like Humankind and POTP will rock hard on crowded stadiums and it will be great spectacle to watch. I still have hopes for their next album, but they will need different producer and spend more time locked in studios together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

We got the most brilliant closure they’ve ever done with infinity and coloratura but unfortunately in a forgettable album.Β 

For me most of the songs are good,Β just good nothing special exceptΒ People of the pride.Β 
Β 

Edited by Essam
  • Like 2

Ok I finally listened properly to the whole album. The premise is that now I have mixed feelings about MOTS as a whole: some songs haveΒ grown on me immediately, others I doubt will. I'm not gonna give grades to each song and I'll try to put into words some personal thoughts, especially about the songs we haven't listened before.

What strikes me the most is Guy's description of how they came out with Coloratura: with a minimum involvement of Max Martin. This makes absolutely sense as there is an incredible distance between that song and the others on the album. And I'm not saying this in terms of "Coloratura is better than the others", but in terms of "behind Coloratura I recognize the band of EL,Β of the first albums, of Moving to Mars etc..." even though, of course, the style is quite different because they have evolved. Coloratura also works well in counterbalancing the "poppiest songs" and to me is one of their best songs on their catalog.

I'm a bit disappointed by the studio version of People of the Pride, it lacks the energy which I definitely feel in the live performance. It is the same problem that to me has a song like Amsterdam: when you listen to the live, you ask yourself why the studio version is "watery" in comparison. However, I would be glad if they recorded a live version of People of the Pride on tour to overcome the issue.Β 

Humankind seems taken from MX era, and it surpassed my expectations; it reminded me DLIBYH in a positive way. I can imagine it played in a stadium, so I expect it to be on their setlist for the tour.

At the moment Biutyful hasn't grown on me, but maybe over time I will change my mind. It's just a matter of personal taste because I don't really like that effect with Chris's voice; I prefer the part where there is the harmonization of both voices.Β 

Among the three big collabs with female voices, Let somebody go is the one I prefer. It is not my favorite song on the album, butΒ it works.Β 

Infinity sign: I can't understand if there are lyrics in the final part and If it is so, what are?Β 

MOTS I seems good, butΒ the last interlude is too abrupt. I wish they managed to make these interludes more significant, because they have already proved in the past to have the potential to do it.

I wasn't expecting anything much different to what I've listened to (the real surprise was Humankind), because the direction of the album was clear since May. Overall it is notΒ my cup of tea, but I have to recognize that they have made some steps ahead since AHFOD. I'm curious to see how this Vol 1 fits into the whole project of 3 volumes

Edited by only.your.imagination
  • Like 4

• Captain Crieff changed the title to πŸͺ Coldplay: Music of the Spheres πŸͺ | Out Now! | Discussion