✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

well you may very well be happy with the oohs and aahs but I'm not. just different tastes i guess

So there's absolutely no jump from "oohs and aahs" to "20 minute long psychedelic" tracks, is there?

I just find it utterly ridiculous that people want to ignore the last five years of the band's history, as if suddenly appealing to swathes of festival-goers suddenly renders a band completely artless. What's wrong with the "pop" side of Coldplay? Is there really nothing to like about it because it has synthesizers? Come on, every band on the planet has used a synth/keyboard at one point in their career... even the Smiths used one to create the string section on There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, and Morrissey hates the friggers.

Coldplay are Coldplay are Coldplay. Would it really suit them, are they really a band that can morph into Pink Floyd? I'd use some of your own words to describe a move like that: pompous and silly.

You can dislike "mainstream" music all you like, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to take from it. And Coldplay will always be commercial, that's part of their ethic. If you want 20-minute long psychedelica, listen to Amorphous Androgynous's remixes for Noel Gallagher and Oasis.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-Coldplay fans embrace The Blue Room EP.
Most non-Coldplay fans have no idea what The Blue Room EP is.

Although what are Non-Coldplay fans

fans of Non Coldplay ?

fans of anything that isn't Coldplay ?

fans of what

just people

i'm tired ok

Most non-Coldplay fans have no idea what The Blue Room EP is.

Although what are Non-Coldplay fans

fans of Non Coldplay ?

fans of anything that isn't Coldplay ?

fans of what

just people

i'm tired ok

I love Non Coldplay! They are a great band. :nod:

My favourite songs from them are Purple, The Mathematician and Orange Mountain. Oh and Enemies in Russia!

Guest howyousawtheworld
If anything, Parachutes is the album I've heard most non-Coldplay fans embrace and praise.

Agree with this but it's such a lazy statement trotted out by non Coldplay fans who will often cite that album as their 'only good album'. I really believe that VLVODAAHF and A Rush of Blood To The Head are their two best efforts by a country mile with the latter 10 times the album Parachutes is. If they knew anything else about Coldplay other than Parachutes they'd probably say AROBTTH but they don't so they'll trot out the Parachutes cliche. By all accounts Parachutes is a nice little album but it is nothing special or genuinely memorable like AROBTTH.

My favourite songs from them are Purple, The Mathematician and Orange Mountain. Oh and Enemies in Russia!

I love their new album Staphylococcus Xiphisternum and the songs

Not Every Breathe is Unlike Fire,

Down in the Water,

Down without the Worms,

Hell,

King of Argentina. :happy:

Okay, I just got intrigued about a fictional band. Enemies in Russia took me a while to figure out and I would seriously love to hear it :laugh3:

Okay, I just got intrigued about a fictional band. Enemies in Russia took me a while to figure out and I would seriously love to hear it :laugh3:

Enemies, leave this road you're on

Chess players, until the game is played

Civilians, you've got to civilian on

Sometimes even the wrong is right

:thinking: wat am I doing?

So there's absolutely no jump from "oohs and aahs" to "20 minute long psychedelic" tracks, is there?

I just find it utterly ridiculous that people want to ignore the last five years of the band's history, as if suddenly appealing to swathes of festival-goers suddenly renders a band completely artless. What's wrong with the "pop" side of Coldplay? Is there really nothing to like about it because it has synthesizers? Come on, every band on the planet has used a synth/keyboard at one point in their career... even the Smiths used one to create the string section on There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, and Morrissey hates the friggers.

Coldplay are Coldplay are Coldplay. Would it really suit them, are they really a band that can morph into Pink Floyd? I'd use some of your own words to describe a move like that: pompous and silly.

You can dislike "mainstream" music all you like, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to take from it. And Coldplay will always be commercial, that's part of their ethic. If you want 20-minute long psychedelica, listen to Amorphous Androgynous's remixes for Noel Gallagher and Oasis.

best parts of your reply: the Smiths, Morrissey, Pink Floyd and Amorphous Androgynous! but seriously i do respect your views

It's a bit funny you seem to dislike 'silly costumes' and you've got an avatar with the guys using the Mylo Xyloto's clothes.

They don't have the compromise of pleasing any fans. They do what they want to do and you have the right to like or dislike it, but if you dislike it, you are free to google any other band that fulfills your musical lack.

wow sharp eyes! I don't personally go into other people's avatars or think of them too much.

i just happened to find that particular picture intriguing; unaware and untroubled by the outfits.

and trust me if i didnt care about the band as much as everyone else around here i wouldn't waste my time on this forum. for all the years of support i've given them be it through buying records, merchandise, seeing them live etc i do believe i have the right to request whats to my liking, just like everyone else whos spent a cent or an hour of their time on the band since their earlier years (a lot of whom, unlike me, stopped supporting them long ago).

plus nowadays you don't have to google anything. all the good stuff is out there just waiting to be discovered.

Well, if anything, I hear that VLVODAAHF is the most embraced album by non-Coldplay fans. So where does that bring us?

One of the most over used excuse for not liking Coldplay is that their music is slow, depressing, and redundant. Through the eyes of someone who does not like Coldplay, Parachutes fits this description well (Don't Panic, Sparks, Trouble, We Never Change). I love Parachutes and I love Coldplay. But someone who isn't passionate about their music will simply not get it.

Still, claiming that Parachutes is only for fans of Coldplay is just silly. Those arguments may be the ones that are the most stereotypical of haters, but they aren't the most common in my experience.

^ When we see how happy they were during this tour and how they keep repeating they like the connection with the audience so much, i do understand the expectation of even more "oooh"s (and all the stuff you said), but i think they know they've reached a certain level, and X&Y seems to have been so traumatic for them, that I don't think they're gonna do the same, or go even further down the MX road.

I really don't believe they can go acoustic for the next record. They could have a few acoustic numbers in there, but due to the huge success of the MX tour and how much fun they are having on stage, it might be more stadium rock coming in LP6. Hopefully the acoustic/landscape/classic Coldplay songs will still be there, either on the album or on an EP or single.

Am I the only one pessimistic about LP6? :uhoh: I expect more ooohs & lalalaas & catchy songs with silly lyrics that I can never relate to.

*please don't hate me*

I don't think lyrics are the only part of Coldplay's, or any band's arsenal, when it comes to relating to the music.

I think what Coldplay mastered on MX, was forming an overarching mood, whether that's hopeful and excited on Hurts Like Heaven, pensive on Us Against the World, or fearful and pessimistic on Major Minus. Whilst The Scientist is a great song, it's somewhat conflicting in that the music is so sad, and the lyrics are hopeful for a new beginning.

I remember reading that listening to Coldplay songs for the lyrics is like reading a book for the page numbers, and I agree with that statement wholeheartedly. Chris's strengths will always be in melodies, and if I were you, I'd be feeling optimistic about what he'll bring to the table in the LP6 sessions.

I remember reading that listening to Coldplay songs for the lyrics is like reading a book for the page numbers, and I agree with that statement wholeheartedly. Chris's strengths will always be in melodies, and if I were you, I'd be feeling optimistic about what he'll bring to the table in the LP6 sessions.

Don't forget that he has a couple of lyrical masterpieces in their back catalogue. like viva la vida and violet hill. when he is really inspired by something, i think he can lyrically be great as well.

but I have to say, lyrically MX was not in par with some of their previous work. maybe sticking to a storyline, or at least trying to,was the challenge there. anyway, as for LP6, chris' comment about pop music in general during MX is a little worrying. Hopefully the whole band effect would take them somewhere unique for the next one.