✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

2012 North America Tour announced!

DavidB5

Someone asked about the AMEX pre-sale....

I did an AMEX pre-sale years ago (2007 for Genesis) and the seats were so-so. I booked them anyway, then later found out that even better tickets were available during the general sale a week later. That's been my only experience with an AMEX pre-sale.

I wish I could get into the first few rows, but TicketBastard already has most of those as "premium packages" and either sells them for $800 each, or scalps them on a "legal" scalping site.

Anyway, I'm doing Dallas and Houston. Dallas AMEX pre-sale is Monday morning 12/12 at 10:00 CST, and Houston is the next Monday 12/19 (no pre-sale). I always enjoy the mad dash on the internet to scoop up tickets. The thrill of the chase....do you buy the first ones you come across, even if the seats aren't good, or give them back, but fear getting worse seats since about 10k fans are buying them at the same time?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I've never been to any type of concert before and I think this is a great opportunity to go. It's in Houston over the summer meaning I won't have to miss school which is great. But I've got a few questions thought. The cheapest tickets for Houston are showing up to be 49.50 and then fees, will these be complete nosebleed crap seats, or do I actually have a shot at getting good seats for those price? There are only 3 price ranges showing up on the site right now, will more be added or is this just it? Also what's the best move for me now, get them in the presale, or wait and see if something good pops on on stubhub or something else for around the $60 range? I'd really appreciate it if I could get some help, thanks!

Stubhub is basically a scalping site, despite what they tell you. Seats that are originally $50 could go for $150 easily. The reason they can do this is because of a contractual agreement, think of a consignment shop, so fees / taxes exchange hands and therefore they are able to operate under U.S. laws. Therefore it's not considered scalping. But don't waste your time on there, you'll spend much more than you should. If you can't get a good ticket during the sale, try Ebay, you'll have much better luck getting something around face value.

I've been to the Toyota Center in Houston. It's a gorgeous arena, but man it's massive. I suggest not sitting in sections 415 - 421 if you can help it. Although these are the cheapest seats, they are waaaaaaay out there, since the arena is so massive. I think it seats nearly 20,000 so it's bigger than most. Anyway, if you can get something closer, go for it, but if your budget doesn't allow it, you'll still have a good time, no question about it, but you'll be further out there. By comparison, American Airlines center in Dallas (the same seats toward the back) has a better view since the arena goes a bit further up than out, if that makes sense.

Anyway, here's a seating chart of Houston's arena. This should be the same layout for the Coldplay show. Check with the Toyota Center website during the next week and see if anything is different. Good luck!

ToyotaCenter_Endstage-Zone_2009-12-05_2010-06-08%201329_tn.gif

P.S. - I've seen Coldplay three times live (each during the "Viva" tour). At each show I sat in different types of seats....very close, semi-close, and in the back. Each time I had a great time because everyone at the show claps, sings and has a great time. I don't want to discourage you from getting a seat. No matter where you sit, you'll have a good time, even if it's toward the back. You'll still enjoy singing, dancing, acting crazy... :) What matters is that you enjoy yourself.

hmm good question call the number on the back ahead of time to find out

K I will.

This whole presale is very annoying, I don't even know if the seats they have are any good. >.>

nope its not on there yet, sounds fishy to me, but they say to check back

sorry what do you mean by this?

/is stupid

Sorry I'm a moron; never been to a concert :shame:

Lol don't worry! This is my first time really having to fight for tickets! :P

K I will.

This whole presale is very annoying, I don't even know if the seats they have are any good. >.>

sorry what do you mean by this?

/is stupid

Lol don't worry! This is my first time really having to fight for tickets! :P

darling, there is never a stupid question

i checked the website the am it was announced at the top it said check back again for more pre-sale dates, so check back daily, but generally the pre-sale seats are not fantastic, ok but not stellar, unless there is ga, but that means getting your ass there at very early and running for the gates

Someone asked about the AMEX pre-sale....

I did an AMEX pre-sale years ago (2007 for Genesis) and the seats were so-so. I booked them anyway, then later found out that even better tickets were available during the general sale a week later. That's been my only experience with an AMEX pre-sale.

I wish I could get into the first few rows, but TicketBastard already has most of those as "premium packages" and either sells them for $800 each, or scalps them on a "legal" scalping site.

Anyway, I'm doing Dallas and Houston. Dallas AMEX pre-sale is Monday morning 12/12 at 10:00 CST, and Houston is the next Monday 12/19 (no pre-sale). I always enjoy the mad dash on the internet to scoop up tickets. The thrill of the chase....do you buy the first ones you come across, even if the seats aren't good, or give them back, but fear getting worse seats since about fans are buying them at the same time?

I had the same experience...better tickets available for the general sale vs. the pre-sale. I make myself half sick trying to get tickets to favorite bands. I have 2 computers going, stressing over whether to throw back tickets or not. Ironically, I've gotten the best seats for bands I'm not insane over because I decided to go at the last minute and found bargains on stub hub. But I'm not willing to gamble on Coldplay.

darling, there is never a stupid question

i checked the website the am it was announced at the top it said check back again for more pre-sale dates, so check back daily, but generally the pre-sale seats are not fantastic, ok but not stellar, unless there is ga, but that means getting your ass there at very early and running for the gates

Ah, okay thanks!

And yeah, since it's such a pain for me to get ahold of an amex card it looks like I'll just skip it and try for the best with the general public sale.

Damn. We just cannot afford to buy tickets right now. Couldn't afford to buy Radiohead tickets, either. Damn, damn, dammit! Why do they have to sell tickets RIGHT before Christmas?!

Sorry, Coldplay.....buying gifts for my kids and nieces and nephews are more important than you.

Ugh, I feel your pain...I have interviews for a job I think I might get next week, but of course, the tickets ALSO go onsale next week so I won't know if I have the job or not until AFTER I buy tickets and make plans :dozey:.

I think this is such a dumb move on their part, to have a presale right before the holidays for gigs that are SO far away anyway. I don't see why they didn't just wait to have the sale til January/February when most people aren't spread as thin because of gifts...especially in this economy.

I have a recent experience with this and I thought I'd share....

I just went to a The National concert at the Air Canada Centre, where Coldplay will play in Toronto on this tour. And when I bought my tickets, it didn't make any mention of GA being available whatsoever. Yet, when I got to the show last night, there was a definite GA section!? But there couldn't have been more than 50 people there (although bear in mind that this is a much smaller show than I'm assuming Coldplay's would be; less than half of the arena was being used).

I was so confused. I've not even the slightest clue how those people got whatever tickets it was that they got. I don't even remember there being any kind of special pre-sale for the show.

And the strangest thing is that when I checked out the venue beforehand, it showed a drawn out image of what the venue was supposed to look like, and it showed floor SEATS. But there definitely were no seats.

This is kind of concerning to me. I really hope that there is a GA section, or if not, that there is definite floor seating that can actually be attained by the general population.

This particular concert is very important to me and I'm spending a lot of money on it, so I better not go through hell.

To me, that sounds like a section for contest winners/friends/family etc, if it really was that small and GA wasn't on the floor plan or for sale to the general public. I personally have really low hopes for GA being available on this tour--none of the default floorplans show it on Ticketmaster so far, and when they did some of these same venues on one of the NA legs of the VLV tour, there wasn't GA either. SIGH.

Do you guys have any idea if the tickets are going to sold out within minutes like in the UK/Europe? I'm extremely concerned about this! :(

They almost definitely will--despite the fact that it's a bad time of year for a lot of people to be shelling out this much money for tickets, it's Coldplay, and scalpers are more vicious than ever. If you can get in on the Amex presale, do that to guarantee yourself there. If you have to wait til the general sale, take whatever the thing first coughs up for you. To throw away the first tickets that come up in a general sale, thinking you might get better ones when you try again...that's often the kiss of death.

Izod Center Went Up to $112 :blank:

WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING? I understand tours cost money, especially with the kind of things they do with the glowbands and the cool lights and the big stage and everything, and I understand that touring is really one of the only ways left to make money off of music, but...I really am disappointed that they didn't try to keep the fans and the economy more in mind when agreeing on a price for these shows. Keeping it under $100 should have been more of a priority, I feel.

I agree, I mean, their tickets were never going to be cheap, but I just feel like it was probably possible to some degree to have the most expensive tickets be more like $80. That's still wildly expensive when you think about it, but I think that would have been a bit more pleasing for most people going for these tickets. I don't think the glowbands jack up the price THAT much. Their merch prices have gone up too, I think I've heard, at least on the UK tour.

Sigh. I feel like I knew all of this was coming, but I feel a bit bitter about it every time I think about trying to plan my strategy, especially over the GA thing.

I agree with the ticket pricing..... although I will still pay that much to see them because they are my favorite band in the world and I love them. I just think they are getting so HUGE and popular and gaining more and more fans. Although I am happy for their success, it also makes me sad because I don't want them to get so big where I won't be able to afford to see them in concert anymore :(

so I have an AmEx card, but can't decide whether or not to do the AmEx presale. I'm pretty good at buying tickets through general sale (knock on wood), and if the AmEx doesn't give you very good tickets, then... :\

but I'm going to two shows, so maybe I'll buy one ticket through the presale to guarantee that I'll have at least one show to go to, even with mediocre seats, then chance the general sale for the other :thinking:

UGH ticket buying is so stressful! :worried:

How loud with the music be if I get tickets near the stage? I am willing to endure louder music than is completely comfortable, but I also don't want my ears ringing for 24 hours after the concert. I know it is a huge concert and you are just supposed to let live, but there is a point where the music can be TOO loud. I love Coldplay's music too much for it to be drowned out by unnecessarily loud noise.

I suppose on the bright side, some people who were thinking about buying tickets might see the prices and go "eff this poop, I'm not spending that much", and we might get better seats than we otherwise would have.

/ trying to make lemonade out of lemons

How loud with the music be if I get tickets near the stage? I am willing to endure louder music than is completely comfortable, but I also don't want my ears ringing for 24 hours after the concert. I know it is a huge concert and you are just supposed to let live, but there is a point where the music can be TOO loud. I love Coldplay's music too much for it to be drowned out by unnecessarily loud noise.
Pretty darn loud, methinks. At the concert I went to, when the opening act started playing, venue employees were going around selling earplugs; I was surprised how many people actually bought them (even the lady I was with bought some)! You can still hear just fine with them in, but that way won't be deaf afterward. :tongue: You could always bring some of your own, nothing fancy, just cheap foam ones that fit in your pocket.

I actually haven't found Coldplay to be too loud. I've been going to concerts for over 30 years and I think the volume has come way down from concerts years ago. i think it's because of better sound systems - back then, the louder the better :o I used to come out of shows with my ears ringing for a day or so. Now, I'm fine right after a show...although i will admit, I used earplugs when I saw AC/DC 3 years ago. :laugh3: But Coldplay? No, and I've been in front, and the middle of venues.

I've been going to concerts for over 30 years and I think the volume has come way down from concerts years ago.

Or it could simply be that all that noise has damaged your hearing over the years, so it only seems that the volume is lower. :nod:

oh snap

It was super loud when I went, and I was in the middle of the venue. I still had trouble hearing the next morning.