✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ghost Stories, release date: 19 May 2014

oldmuckers

I think some underestimate how hard it is to go low-key for a band that on their previous album and tour relied on anything but simplicity. With that, they have to take the risk of sounding boring. I think that's what we're smelling here.

I do agree it sounds a bit flat though (and my god those lyrics, can't get over them). I'm not going to hope for having heard the worst half of the album. If this is going to be the second album that disappoints me I might have to let them go. Especially when they don't change the way Chris sings Midnight. They have to recreate that effect live instead of playing a damn tape. Can't be that difficult.

The era is still very fresh and new. I can´t really say for sure how much I like it or not. We had a few first impressions but there is still a lot to come. MX was so colorful and powerful, I really loved that, but they could be right with doing something like it seems to be with those first impressions. They released so many songs and everybody can find a song he loves and than he has different memories around that song and so the expectations are way too high. I don´t get that negativity, let it grow, be ready to accept something new. I love the Scientist, but it is impossible and it would be not wise to have 20 additional songs exactly like that.

What I heard so far was good and I am ready to let it grow inside me and build connection.

I really don't get the people here. Always in my head is so freaking awesome :inquisitive: It is more Parachutes and less MX. That's all I wanted for the past 2/3 years. I guess that Coldplay's fans are very diverse and we all want some specific direction or style. But in the end, is Coldplay, whatever they do is gonna be awesome, so wait to hear the complete album my friends, don't worry.

second that always in my head and anothers arms are masterpieces same for midnight and magic im 30 years old and im a fan of this band since a rush of blood and im a hardcore music listener all the styles of music and i think that the lyrics fit perfectly in each song i bet you never listen real shiity lyrics like the lyrics from emo bands that make poetry with their own shit ideas i prefer this because is direct

I don't understand how anybody can hear Parachutes or AROBTTH in Always In My Head or Another's Arms...

We have what are called ears!

I'm experiencing a strange satisfaction that people who loved MX aren't "getting" the new songs :smug:

The new songs have a lot of things from MX to me, they sound pretty close to Up In Flames and Up With The Birds. I get the "Rush" vibe on it, everything sounds on a smaller scale, from that point of view that's nice, still think Magic and Always In My Head are songs that have nothing special about them, just average. Midnight sounds different from their previous things and Another's Arms is really the catchiest of them all, my favourite until now, but not even close to any of my Coldplay's favourite songs.

I insist, we need a Chinese Sleep Chant in the new album, that type of song fits perfectly in Ghost Stories. And the lyrics could be something like this sung by Chris using an electronic voice phenomenon effect:

Come to life

Resurrect modified

Come to life

Resurrect magnified

Come to life

Resurrect justified

Come to life

Resurrect verified

Come to life

Resurrect

Come to life

Resurrect modified

Come to life

Resurrect magnified

Come to life

Resurrect justified

Come to life

Resurrect verified

Come to life

Resurrect

Come to life

Resurrect

possibly another video (or other parts for magic) were filmed yesterday, depending on how true this is..

I ask because im chillin at the Coldplay music video right now. @coldplay #undisclosedlocation #notreally

Why is most of the film crew for cold play Scottish hahaha #heavyaccents etc.

Bip85L2CAAIxnaV.jpg:large

link

I'm experiencing a strange satisfaction that people who loved MX aren't "getting" the new songs :smug:

On the previous page you said "I love the new stuff but its no rush of blood or viva! They have the potential to be much better."

Maybe those of us who loved the MX era aren't "getting" the songs because like you said, they have the potential to be better and they're not living up to the personal expectation we set for them.

LOL, not true--at least not for me. I like their old catalog of songs. I also loved songs on MX like Every Teardrop, Charlie Brown, Hurts like Heaven, Major Minus etc. However, I also thought Paradise was incredibly repetitive in the lyrics and that Up in Flames lacked that moment "a la" Fix You or Talk and therefore fell flat. So I wasn't a fan of those 2 songs on MX. It seems to me that the new songs in Ghost Stories that we have heard so far are following that same pattern that began in MX of being repetitive and flat and that is why so far I'm not liking the new material.

Wow this album is great so far. Always in my head could fit anywhere in the first three albums. Im afraid I will ruin my perception for the rest of the songs because I have very high expectations right now. Hopefully they're as good as the ones we've heard so far. Also, I want another song like midnight....I can't wait :smug:

Why does the song need an exploding climax? Coldplay has done a lot of songs like that, it would get old to keep using the same formula over and over. Coldplay has managed to create a balance actually. This is why they have stayed relevant after almost 15 years. Some of their albums gained them fans, some didnt, some lost them, and some gained them back again, but the media and all their fans never know what to expect next.

Random thought: Coldplay has two categories of songs. Those where the title is repeated over and over (Paradise, ETIAW, Magic, etc.) and those where it's not (Viva la Vida, Clocks, The Scientist, Midnight, etc.) - either not mentioned at all, or not much.

I think in general the ones where the title is not repeated over and over (a trick to make people remember) has the deepest and most interesting lyrics - the others are generally more... anthemic.

So on that note I think Ink will be a great song, because there is no way Chris can do a Paradise on that title. O also, possibly Oceans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to put a damper but I was and still am crazy about MX and I honestly love all the 4 Ghost Stories we have heard so far. I certainly did not expect MX-part two and I am happy the band delivers yet another different album. I like all their past catalogue: there are gem songs I love in each album. And I just love the way they have continuously changed. I hope they always keep it up cuz it´s exciting!

paraaa paraaaa paradiseeee *loud noises and shit production*

awwww there's nothing better than putting MX in the past catalogue

Everything will one day become past catalogue hehe MX was the best live album imo, so vibrant and alive! I wud certainly miss those songs if they did not play them live.

Wow this album is great so far. Always in my head could fit anywhere in the first three albums. Im afraid I will ruin my perception for the rest of the songs because I have very high expectations right now. Hopefully they're as good as the ones we've heard so far. Also, I want another song like midnight....I can't wait :smug:

I feel the same! I have high expectations now! I look forward to seeing the full package. There is also something to be said about hearing the finished album from first to last song, where each track is in its proper place and get the vibe of the flow in the album. That can also change one´s perception of a song a lot!