LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HAHAHAHA

Okay, Stargate deserves crap. But the truth is we really don't know what them working with Coldplay involves. Producing is a term that can mean a lot of things, from completely writing a song, to just adding a small element (i.e. Timbaland added drumbeat in True Love), to just offering advice in the studio. With a band like Coldplay and a songwriter like Chris Martin we know that Stargate isn't writing songs, they could just be offering up some advice, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. So lets not fret. I too was hoping that they only were involved with a single or two, so Rik's answer of "Loads" is disappointing, but once again, we have to HEAR THE MUSIC FIRST.

Okay, 3 Good Songs by Stargate:

I personally like the following, but they are completely different genres from what Coldplay does so.......

[video=youtube;z_aC5xPQ2f4]

I actually like other Rihanna songs too, like Rude Boy, Don't Stop The Music, Only Girl In The World (they did those)

[video=youtube;rp4UwPZfRis]

This one is damn catchy, and guess what--------Indian Influences??

[video=youtube;n-D1EB74Ckg]

But yeah, Pop. Simple cleanly produced pop. And Stargate started in 1997 and arguably has not been able lose the really cheesy high pitched synths that was popular in "urban" pop in the early 2000's...

If you do not like the album, it wont be Stargate's fault but Chris, Jonny, Guy, Will

This is true to a certain extent but one of the major grievances about MX/GS was that they were drowned in production.

I can imagine myself loving MX if it was stripped back and the bombastic pomp was taken out of it.

Looking at Stargate's record it looks like they need to learn the word "restraint" big time.

If you do not like the album, it wont be Stargate's fault but Chris, Jonny, Guy, Will and Phil's.

I think both Stargate and the band will be to blame. I have high hopes for the new album though. [emoji2][emoji111]️

Honestly, I think the idea of getting Stargate as producers is likely to be Chris'ones, since nowadays he is really connected in the US music business.

One can choose if that is good or not. ..

As the 99 percent of songs comes from him, the rest of them, Guy, Johnny and Will, are like a session musicians, and unfortunately not the best ones. But they are nice guys and it is like it is. I think Guy Beryman cant believe his luck to be in one of the bigest bands in the world. I think he should sleep with Chris picture beneath his pilow and create some sort of ritual every night before he goes to sleep, to thank him for all the money he got.

As the 99 percent of songs comes from him, the rest of them, Guy, Johnny and Will, are like a session musicians, and unfortunately not the best ones. But they are nice guys and it is like it is. I think Guy Beryman cant believe his luck to be in one of the bigest bands in the world. I think he should sleep with Chris picture beneath his pilow and create some sort of ritual every night before he goes to sleep, to thank him for all the money he got.

There's underlying truth there and I agree with the point the band is very Chris-centric but in fairness the lads contribute their individual instrument elements to each song.

We don't really know who wrote what considering they split the credits 4 ways but we know for a fact Jonny wrote the riff for In My Place and Guy wrote the bass line for Magic, so without them we wouldn't have those songs. Who knows how may songs were initiated by the other 3.

Reducing them to average session musicians isn't really fair. In particular, Jonny's influences had a big influence on the early albums, dream pop on Parachutes (To create that ambient effect) and Shoegazing on AROBTTH.

I actually would love to see the other members make strong contributions lyrically. All they need is a rhyming dictionary to equal some of Chris' work...

it would've been interesting if the rest of the band wrote the lyrics to the new album without the help from Chris.

@Tarkovsky2

Well they aren't the best musicians in the world I'll give you that. But I think you underestimate them by calling them 'session musicians'. I think they all have their fair share of input in songs, which isn't always very obvious. We actually don't know how many of the songs are 'just' Chris' work and how many are largely influenced or created by the other members. And well I don't agree with you on the Guy part, Guy has made some really really great basslines (Violet Hill, Major Minus, Paradise, Daylight, Cemeteries of London, Magic and so on...) Guy just likes to remain in the background and I don't blame him for it. (Althoug I wouldn't mind a f*cking cool bass solo now and then haha) ;)

But Danger Mouse produced U2's latest album and it certainly wasn't their best but it wasn't bad and it wasn't rap or r&b. :thinking:

Assuming because x producer is involved the music must be y is a large assumption. I'm sure that just like musicians, producers want to expand their horizons as well. Many producers also even make their own albums.

If Miracles is any sign of what's to come, I think that's a good one :nod: At least compared to GS. I trust everyone who's not Chris to push back if they go in an awful direction.