✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

ELIMINATION #4: VIVA LA VIDA OR DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS

thetwinparadox

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote The Escapist in order to #saveViva !

@The Adversary: In my opinion, Viva is a great song. Its melody is one of the best melodies ever written. It has got a great instrumentation with strings and bells, nderlining the melody. I also like Paradise but Viva is so much better. It's one of the best hits, if not the best hit, of the decade.

Please read this before continuing: this is NOT the end of the round. I'm cp3176, the guy who ends the rounds' name is @thetwinparadox. I'm just making my tally nice and organized like @thetwinparadox does. So don't mistake me for @thetwinparadox please. :D

I vote The Escapist in order to #saveViva !

@The Adversary: In my opinion, Viva is a great song. Its melody is one of the best melodies ever written. It has got a great instrumentation with strings and bells, nderlining the melody. I also like Paradise but Viva is so much better. It's one of the best hits, if not the best hit, of the decade.

In my opinion Viva is a tad better than Paradise but not by much. It's so nostalgic for me too, because that's the song that got me into Coldplay in the first place.

BTW, thanks for voting The Escapist in our plan to save Viva. :D The tally is currently:

[table=width: 500]

[tr]

[td]The Escapist[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Viva la Vida[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Prospekt's March/Poppyfields[/td]

[td]1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Life in Technicolor[/td]

[td]1[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

The last few times, Viva has been voted for 5 times. That's usually an eliminating number. It's only because of us Viva-savers pushing the boundaries to save Viva that we've managed to save Viva with extraordinary vote counts like 10 and 9 which are usually blowouts. We're so determined to save Viva, thanks everyone! :D However the amount of votes Viva's been getting are usually increasing with each round. To be safe, we'll probably need quite a few more votes to save Viva. It is still early in the round, but we can never be too worried with Viva. (which is surprising)

I do hope that Prospekt's March/Poppyfields stays alive for a while longer. After The Escapist is gone, I fear that it's next. :( If I can find one real flaw in VLVODAAHF, it's the lack of that song. When I listen to the album I always add it in between Lost! and 42.

I do hope that Prospekt's March/Poppyfields stays alive for a while longer. After The Escapist is gone, I fear that it's next. :( If I can find one real flaw in VLVODAAHF, it's the lack of that song. When I listen to the album I always add it in between Lost! and 42.

I love PM/PF and I hope it doesn't go next. It belongs in the top 5 of that Era. I would prefer if 42 got eliminated next, I think it's a very inconsistent song and it lacks a strong melody.

^ Well good luck with that, lots of people absolutely love 42 (including me) so I don't think we'll be able to save VLV next round using that song, that is, if Viva even makes it past this round.

Here's my opinion on 42: The intro is the second most beautiful part I've heard by Coldplay, the most beautiful being MX (the song). The first part of the song is absolutely gorgeous. I love the melody, I love the tune, I just love it. Nothing better, except as I said before, MX.

Unfortunately, second parts can make or break a song. That's what happens with 42. You have this beautiful, gorgeous intro, 0:00 to 1:35. Then comes the second part. It's actually not that bad (at least it seems that way at first). Then it becomes worse and worse as the song goes on. starting at around 2:20 the weird part comes. It's not the worst thing ever but it takes away from the magic of 42 in my opinion. 42 is still a great song IMO and is top 5 material but the second part breaks top 3 status. If they would have done something more similar to the first part than this song would easily be my favorite... it's so sad that they chose to do that over something a little different more similar to the first part of 42. I strongly feel inclined to say this is my favorite song of Viva, and my favorite song of Coldplay, and my favorite song of all time, but that only goes for 0:00 to 1:35. It's a great song, but the second part was kind of a letdown when I first discovered it. I definetely don't think it deserves to go next... but I half agree, because the 2nd part definetely seems inconsistent and does lack sort of a strong melody...

No way. I'm already plotting #SavePOC :D

And Major Minus, seriously, why so much hate on Major Minus lately ? :(

Anyone who knows me well knows I don't like MX, but Major Minus and POC are among the better tracks on this album imho.

Once again I will be supporting you :)

No way. I'm already plotting #SavePOC :D

And Major Minus, seriously, why so much hate on Major Minus lately ? :(

Anyone who knows me well knows I don't like MX, but Major Minus and POC are among the better tracks on this album imho.

Sorry, I guess I've been saying I hate it a little much lately...

But the track's just bland. There's not all that much to it, the melody is uninteresting, and it's just doesn't sound very good in my opinion. The live version is a bit better, and after the intro the rest of the song isn't too good. It's okay. but it does get better at the song goes on. My fav is from 2:05-2:35. But the intro is terrible...

As for PoC, it's decent. I'm actually very surprised to see you say you like PoC, since it's arguably Coldplay's poppiest song, and I thought you didn't like pop. :D I like PoC too but it isn't really top 5 as far as the album goes. I guess that's your opinion though. Not attacking it or anything, I was just curious to see why you reallly did like it.

I'm going to join with you on #SavePoC for the first round (if you want to get rid of Major Minus and DLIBYH first, remember this all depends on what songs you plan to use to save PoC since those are the only two tracks that are worse than PoC from the MX era IMO) but after that I'm going to try to eliminate PoC as much as possible while it's alive.

As for Major Minus:

I was not implying it is one of Coldplay's best songs overall. But on an album like MX which has got tracks like UATW, Up In Flames, UFO, Charlie Brown it is a good song because it is a rockier one. Jonny's guitar solo is good. Also, there is some anger to it that can only ever be found in Violet Hill. I wouldn't call it bland. The epitome of bland in MX for me are UATW and Up In Flames.

As for Princess Of China:

Dont get me wrong. I dislike Pop, and I dislike Rihanna (that said, there's in fact one song by Rihanna that I like, again a collab - check it out here if you're interested [video=youtube;wS4InT7Ycdk]

).

I heard POC in the radio at a time when I had never heard the word "Coldplay", and it struck me - same as did Paradise - as a pop song that is different from the other pop songs on the radio. The OOOOHs have a great melody and make the song stand out. It has this majestic, a bit pompous sound like the instrumental parts of Paradise and Viva that sets Coldplay's poppier hits apart in the sea of mainstream pop. Sure, the vocals could be better and Chris is hardly audible at times but then again Rihanna did a decent job on her vocals and didn't ruin the song. All in all, of course it doesn't compare to Oldplay for me but it is a good pop song by Coldplay, as is Paradise.

I was not implying it is one of Coldplay's best songs overall. But on an album like MX which has got tracks like UATW' date=' Up In Flames, UFO, Charlie Brown it is a good song because it is a rockier one. Jonny's guitar solo is good. Also, there is some anger to it that can only ever be found in Violet Hill. I wouldn't call it bland. The epitome of bland in MX for me are UATW and Up In Flames.[/quote']

That's one plus to Major Minus. It is rockier and I do like that sound... but the way it's implemented is kind of bland.

UATW and Up in Flames?? Bland? ......

I heard POC in the radio at a time when I had never heard the word "Coldplay"' date='[/b'] and it struck me - same as did Paradise - as a pop song that is different from the other pop songs on the radio. The OOOOHs have a great melody and make the song stand out. It has this majestic, a bit pompous sound like the instrumental parts of Paradise and Viva that sets Coldplay's poppier hits apart in the sea of mainstream pop. Sure, the vocals could be better and Chris is hardly audible at times but then again Rihanna did a decent job on her vocals and didn't ruin the song. All in all, of course it doesn't compare to Oldplay for me but it is a good pop song by Coldplay, as is Paradise.

I do really like PoC as you stated and really do agree with what you said. The thing is, there's only two songs that are worse on the album, but that is not to hate on PoC in any way since it is really good. It's just that there's so many great songs on MX that are better than PoC IMO hence it's spot. It's still a great track though. :)

In bold: Wait... so you're telling me when you heard PoC you didn't even know of Coldplay?? It's certainly interesting to see a new fan that actually likes their older music... :)

Wait... so you're telling me when you heard PoC you didn't even know of Coldplay?? It's certainly interesting to see a new fan that actually likes their older music... :)

Yep, I discovered Coldplay during the MX Era, but Viva La Vida played a great role as well...you can read the whole story here: http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/threads/43086-How-did-you-discover-Coldplay?p=5736135&viewfull=1#post5736135

And by the way, I'm going to bed now. Thanks for the interesting conversations with you tonight in a number of threads. See you tomorrow ! :D